• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Witcher 2 - or "where has this rpg been all my life?"

Over rated game thats pretty bad.

Poor combat and gameplay. Terrible systems. (Lol its in the book! Fuck that shit, bad is bad.)

Boss fights that were tedious.

Quit playing after awhile due to the terrible mechanics that just ate up every sense of joy you attempted to ring from its carcassssssss.

It looked good.

Id say, 4/10.

I agree. I quit playing after that cutscene where you shoot the cannon at the beginning of the game. So bad.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
nearing the end of chapter 1

uploaded a save right before the roche/iorvathe choice to the cloud! will have to return to that later...

picked roche for first play.

managed to finish a bunch of the chapter 1 side quests and crafted some sick kayran skin armor. now i just need to find some enchantments for it. couldn't get the troll trouble quest to trigger, though. i found the guy getting attacked but he got killed, i reloaded a save and now i cant find him. bizarre.

the boss fights in this game are pretty excellent.

alchemy spec & daggers are rad.

this game is rad.

TheTwelve

Let me qualify my prior post by saying that one reason why the quests aren't always so clear is because the game is being translated to English from Polish. (This gives the dialogue a certain poetry that I love.) Sometimes, the translations are rough, especially at the end of the game an in regards to quests.

jon bones

guess the 360 version is bugged. trying to do a side quest in chapter 1 where i follow dandelion downstairs but he just stands there and i can't move the quest along.

bummer.

PFD

nearing the end of chapter 1

uploaded a save right before the roche/iorvathe choice to the cloud! will have to return to that later...

picked roche for first play.

managed to finish a bunch of the chapter 1 side quests and crafted some sick kayran skin armor. now i just need to find some enchantments for it. couldn't get the troll trouble quest to trigger, though. i found the guy getting attacked but he got killed, i reloaded a save and now i cant find him. bizarre.

the boss fights in this game are pretty excellent.

alchemy spec & daggers are rad.

this game is rad.

Personally I recommend Iorveth's path on your 1st playthrough, though the other one is also excellent. Be sure to replay the game and pick this path when you finish the game, I cannot stress that enough. You'll run into some insane revelations that you otherwise would never have encountered.

Tacitus_

Personally I recommend Iorveth's path on your 1st playthrough, though the other one is also excellent. Be sure to replay the game and pick this path when you finish the game, I cannot stress that enough. You'll run into some insane revelations that you otherwise would never have encountered.

Broche path, fool
rochegifkq9b.gif

jon bones

does the new Witcher 3 trailer have any Witcher 2 spoilers in it?

any non spoiler reasons you think i should go that route?

PFD

I personally enjoyed the setting there more, and it's longer with more side quests (all interesting.) Though to understand the story fully, you need to play both.

And no, the new W3 trailer doesn't really have any spoilers for W2. It's a really brief trailer.

Tacitus_

does the new Witcher 3 trailer have any Witcher 2 spoilers in it?

Zoltan and his dwarf buddies are great fun to be around and there is a sidequest involving a succubus. Maybe better quests too on average.

Dropped_Off

Neo Member
Well, after constantly putting it on the backburner, all this hype for TW3, and threads like these have got me to finally start chipping away at TW2. Currently about halfway done of chapter 1 I'd say, just doing all the sidequests before continuing with the plot. While I feel the combat is a bit iffy, the game itself is wonderful, and man have I been missing out on this for a while now.

Now where's my bro Siefried, I miss that guy.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Sorry for the super-late response guys...

Nothing about the mechanics is hidden in this game. You might miss an optional quest or secret cave along the way but that's it. Definitely don't play with a guide.

I played it without a guide and it was a perfectly fine experience. The manual of the game has a quest log and when I compared with the quests I had finished, it turned out missed exactly two minor ones. Just explore every nook and cranny and you'll be fine.

Yep, I never use guides myself either, and I wasn't too worried about it in this game because I've never heard it brought up in people's reviews, long after the game was out. I see myself taking my sweet time with the game, so with the quest log that I hear is in the game case, I'll make sure to check them to make sure I at least don't miss quests, or anything else.

@Skilotonn

I absolutely needed a guide to do some of the side quests, especially later on in the game.

In fact, it's in the later third of the game where details of the side quests and the story as a whole can use more polishing/detail.

Nothing game breaking, mind you.

Or maybe it's not the game's fault and I wasn't paying attention. Whatever the case, I make it a point not to use guides and yet I had to use a guide to figure out what the heck the game was talking about concerning certain quests.

Ah okay, but at least you're saying that there's a chance that you missed stuff because you might not have been paying attention. Another reassuring review on that aspect.

Tacitus_

Ah okay, but at least you're saying that there's a chance that you missed stuff because you might not have been paying attention. Another reassuring review on that aspect.

I think Mystic River might be the only quest you might need a guide for, but it is somewhat of a "hidden" quest.

jon bones

this is the first game in a long time where i feel compelled to complete side quests. they're just so damned interesting. i haven't done any of the contracts, though, as they seem like boring "find X nekker caves and clear em."

my build is coming along nicely. got the few points i wanted in swords (feetwork, riposte) and magic (quen 2) and now i'm ready to dump points into alchemy and be a bad ass crafting dude.

are there any spoiler free side quest guides? i don't know if i'll use em, but it might make finding the triggers a little more streamlined.

also, how different does act 3 play depending on which path you took?

such a shame Witcher 3 will be open world, i love how linear and focuses Witcher 2 feels.

Tacitus_

this is the first game in a long time where i feel compelled to complete side quests. they're just so damned interesting. i haven't done any of the contracts, though, as they seem like boring "find X nekker caves and clear em."

my build is coming along nicely. got the few points i wanted in swords (feetwork, riposte) and magic (quen 2) and now i'm ready to dump points into alchemy and be a bad ass crafting dude.

are there any spoiler free side quest guides? i don't know if i'll use em, but it might make finding the triggers a little more streamlined.

also, how different does act 3 play depending on which path you took?

such a shame Witcher 3 will be open world, i love how linear and focuses Witcher 2 feels.

You should do the contracts, they are easy and a nice source of cash. Just that the nekker quest had bad translation or something (might've been fixed by now), you need to have Grapeshot bombs in order to bomb the nests you find in the forest (after you get the knowledge to do so from either books or killing a bunch of them).

Act 3 plays very differently, although I'm not sure how the choice with the same objective plays out because I've never done that as I put helping the other guy above Geralts personal issues.

PFD

Sorry for the super-late response guys...

Yep, I never use guides myself either, and I wasn't too worried about it in this game because I've never heard it brought up in people's reviews, long after the game was out. I see myself taking my sweet time with the game, so with the quest log that I hear is in the game case, I'll make sure to check them to make sure I at least don't miss quests, or anything else.

Some sidequests are meant to be hard. Don't expect to find a Skyrim arrow leading you to every clue. There are some seriously difficult puzzles, as well as secret boss fights that you may never encounter. Of course, these things do not affect the story one way or another, but they add a nice exploration element to the world.

danthefan

So I was about to start this up again today, but:

Basically I have a physical copy of The Witcher 2 that point blank refuses to install on my PC. I bought it and paid for it, at release too so it wasn't €2.50 or anything.

But since it refuses to install, is it in any way acceptable for me to... "acquire" the game by alternative means? I am totally against pirating PC games, it's not something I'd ever do under usual circumstances, but I'm thinking since I bought the game I can do it this time with a clear conscience. What do you think?

Mrg8523-

Basically I have a physical copy of The Witcher 2 that point blank refuses to install on my PC. I bought it and paid for it, at release too so it wasn't €2.50 or anything.

But since it refuses to install, is it in any way acceptable for me to... "acquire" the game by alternative means? I am totally against pirating PC games, it's not something I'd ever do under usual circumstances, but I'm thinking since I bought the game I can do it this time with a clear conscience. What do you think?

If you register your copy to your GOG account, you'll get a DRM-free digital copy from them.

http://www.gog.com/witcher/backup

PFD

You can go here and get a free GOG copy using your product key

http://www.gog.com/witcher/backup

Edit: so beat

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Damn, I missed some responses again, sorry guys...

I think Mystic River might be the only quest you might need a guide for, but it is somewhat of a "hidden" quest.

I'm cool with this, in fact I'm happy that there's some secret stuff that can be found by someone going the extra mile - excellent.

Some sidequests are meant to be hard. Don't expect to find a Skyrim arrow leading you to every clue. There are some seriously difficult puzzles, as well as secret boss fights that you may never encounter. Of course, these things do not affect the story one way or another, but they add a nice exploration element to the world.

I love this actually, makes me make sure to take my time and go through the game thoroughly. Takes me back to when games had things that weren't just pointed out to you all the time - thanks you guys for the info!

Bumping one of the million Witcher 2 LTTP threads...

Just finished this game - holy cow, what a stunning game! The combat finally clicked for me somewhere near the end of the first chapter and I played it from there on normal (having gotten too fed up and set it to easy just to enjoy the story) - WOW.

The characters are amazing, the acting is (mostly) great, the story is superb, the combat is ... yeah the combat's okay (just frustrating that sometimes you don't get time to oil up before a hard bit).

Important question of the day - which I can probably guess the answer to - should I go back and play The Witcher 1, since I skipped it (TW2 was in the steam sale when I first paid the series any attention so I started there).

I don't have the patience / time for multiple playthroughs of TW2 - wonder how different things would have turned out if I'd (MASSIVE spoilers):
sided with Ioreth, not let Vernon Roche kill the king, gone after the royal children instead of Triss and told Letho to run far away
hmmm?

Oh and bizarrely just remembered to download the EE stuff, and found a Triss playboy shoot folder. Hawt (not has hawt as the video of the model posing, it turns out :-O)

ohh yes and realised 95% of the way through Chapter 3 that I hadn't maxed out the good talents in the training tree... so I'd played the whole game with only 2 vigor slots, *sigh*, what an idiot...

PFD

Important question of the day - which I can probably guess the answer to - should I go back and play The Witcher 1, since I skipped it (TW2 was in the steam sale when I first paid the series any attention so I started there).

The first game uses a heavily modified version of the Neverwinter Nights engine, and it is very janky compared to the second game. The story also takes much longer to hit its stride, and there are some dull quests. If you're willing to put up with that, you will be rewarded with a great story set in an intriguing world dripping with atmosphere. I loved TW1, but I realize that it may not be for everyone.

I don't have the patience / time for multiple playthroughs of TW2 - wonder how different things would have turned out if I'd (MASSIVE spoilers):
sided with Ioreth, not let Vernon Roche kill the king, gone after the royal children instead of Triss and told Letho to run far away
hmmm?

I implore you to replay TW2 and
side with Iorveth
. I don't wanna spoil the story, but basically chapter 2 will be completely, 100% different from your first playthrough. Different location, quests, story, everything. In fact, one of the biggest revelations in the game will not be revealed unless you play that path. And those changes will tremendously affect what happens in chapter 3.

Oh and bizarrely just remembered to download the EE stuff, and found a Triss playboy shoot folder. Hawt (not has hawt as the video of the model posing, it turns out :-O)

Yeah, that was something else

So, if I were to play just one walk through, would you recommend Iorveth's path?
I kinda liked Roche, but the Elvish rebellion nature calls me in..:)

phaze

I don't have a clear favourite but I think my preferred way of doing things would be Roche route and only after that Iorveth's. There's a pretty big thing hidden exclusively on the elves path and realising it after having already gone through the Roche storyline is a neat moment.

If you want to do only one route, go for Iorveth. You'll miss Philippa otherwise.

Denton

So, if I were to play just one walk through, would you recommend Iorveth's path?
I kinda liked Roche, but the Elvish rebellion nature calls me in..:)

Both are really worth playing.
But yeah the one I will be importing is Iorveth playthrough, when I replay it for a third time in january next year.

Bumping one of the million Witcher 2 LTTP threads...

Just finished this game - holy cow, what a stunning game! The combat finally clicked for me somewhere near the end of the first chapter and I played it from there on normal (having gotten too fed up and set it to easy just to enjoy the story) - WOW.

The characters are amazing, the acting is (mostly) great, the story is superb, the combat is ... yeah the combat's okay (just frustrating that sometimes you don't get time to oil up before a hard bit).

hmmm?

I recommend at least trying to give the first game a chance. Make sure to select over the shoulder camera, preferably hard difficulty (it makes combat lot more involving and engaging, but you need to use all your tools at your disposal and not make stupid mistakes like what you did in TW2 with vigor).
The first chapter is a bit blander and its final "boss" fight is probably the worst fight in the game, so make sure to prepare beforehand (even by reading wiki or something).
But the game as a whole is fantastic. Even with lower production values.

Mudo

Sorry for the necro bump! I just beat Witcher 1 last night for first time ever (first game I've beaten in prob 2 years - I have issues). I am starting 2 tonight so does anyone have tips/advice for me? I heard the battle system changed somewhat and that there are 2 major paths you have to choose between that massively change the game and I just want to have the most fun lol. Any help is much appreciated!

Top Bottom