• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon for Wii U? wtf? [Up: Now at Best Buys]

Neifirst

I hope it's true. I get the appeal of portables, but I end up playing them at home anyway, and would much rather play on my big screen television. I think Resident Evil Revelations looks really good, so I don't see why Luigi's Mansion wouldn't either.

What I'd really like is an update of Kirby's Canvas Curse - the only touch screen game I really loved.

I'm sure there are lots. I don't care for handhelds, so I'd love this on WiiU.

That being said, I doubt it's true. Nintendo would have certainly said something about it already. Probably a retailer slip-up.

Why would you even say that? I keep coming back to this thread hoping to read a confirmation.

At least let me dream!!!

OmegaFax

It might be a mistake. Amazon listed Super Luigi U foe the 3DS by accidentearlier this year.

If not, HD graphics and a reworked online mode with Miiverse and a drop-in system might make this game worth it for Wii U.

Hope this is false. Would rather them spend development time on something different.

Much as I liked Dark Moon, I really had to force myself to finish that last mansion and I cannot see myself ever playing that game again.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Hope it is a mistake. Wiiu needs new games. I have already played this title on 3ds. They should push fìrst and second party teams on new products, put gc hd upgrades on vc and avoid overlaps with 3ds.
If with the next gen they want to push cross platform purchases, I could be interest, if done properly with accounts, right price positioning, and an hybrid console system similar to vita vitatv and ps4 but more structured

Sendou

Hmm... interesting. No idea what to make of this rumour. I find it fishy that only one retailer got the "information" each time.

This is how these leak. Only one retailer is usually stupid enough to spill the beans so to speak. Amazon leaked Super Luigi U retail release and whoever leaked Donkey Kong on 3DS (turned out to be DKCR remake)

Hmm... interesting. No idea what to make of this rumour. I find it fishy that only one retailer got the "information" each time.

Like I said, this time it was a distributor who released this information.

FYI, the distributor gave updates a few hours ago, and the listing is still there.

This gives the rumor more credibility than before, but it doesn't completely rule out the possibility of an error.

Interesting:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CCKNHJC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

ybC9wyt.png

Tu5ablA.png

UPC: 045496680145

The news seems to stem from a distributor listing:

WBnB5Td.png

Other listings:

s1CYJQJ.png

lBkRO0o.png

AL4aA46.png

All of the sites that have it must have put up the information when they saw the distributor had it as a potential option.

Just so you know how many retailers currently have this set up.

Wouldn't it make more sense for them to port old games that gamers are less likely to remember or be considering purchasing already?

An HD version of the original Luigi's Mansion would make far more sense. Even better, do Metroid Prime Trilogy (or, even better, Twilight Princess, but I guess they'd want to hold off on more Zelda ports since they just did one).

L~A

This is how these leak. Only one retailer is usually stupid enough to spill the beans so to speak. Amazon leaked Super Luigi U retail release and whoever leaked Donkey Kong on 3DS (turned out to be DKCR remake)

Well, usually we get the news from more than one retailer (cf: Mirror's Edge 2, CoD Ghosts on Wii U). Granted, it's not all the time, but it happens often enough.

In that case, Newegg even went so far as to say it was Nintendo who gave them the information... but I doubt Nintendo wanted them to publish this already. I find it suspicious that :

1) no other retailer confirmed the news
2) Nintendo didn't ask for the page to be removed.

Never mind :p

About the NSLU leak, it happened a mere 3 days before the actual announcement... and I doubt Nintendo's gonna announce anything in the next few days... Unless they have something special right before the investor meeting on Oct. 30th.

Well, we shall see soon enough! Hopefully by then, I'll have figured out whether I should be excited about this port or not, ha ha!

izzyizzyizzy

Neo Member
I've withheld on the 3DS one thus far (was one of my potential games for the "drought" early spring/summer will bring) but I'd gladly buy it on Wii U instead.

I have an update to this saga.

Apparently, a Wii U version of Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon wasn't all that was listed by the distributor.

There was also a Wii U version of Brain Age: Concentration Training that was newly listed:

TqSs720.png

Like Luigi's Mansion, it's also available at retailers like Amazon:

wPHh3n3.png

TXEuMBk.png

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CIZ712A/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Those were the only two new items listed.

Is Nintendo starting a trend of 3DS to Wii U ports? Or did the distributor just make a mistake? I'm not sure if this gives it more or less credibility.

GulAtiCa

Brain Age? Didn't that kinda do badly on 3DS? I can only imagine it doing worse on Wii U, unless it was hella cheap, like $20.

AzaK

"Valve Fans: Living on Blind Faith Since 2004®"

Well we all know there's not many games/little 3rd party support, so what's pathetic about trying to fill the gaps with quick and easy ports of truly great games? They can hardly plug the gaps with a new Zelda/Metroid/AAA title out of the blue. I mean I agree it's their own poor planning that's put them here, but we should all have come to terms with this situation by now; WiiU is in the shits release schedule wise. Its no reason to shrug off any attempt to correct the situation though imo.

In simpler terms: "I'll take it"
I won't. Had enough if this bollocks and I'm amazed that most people here are just soon happy for whatever Nintendo dishes out as opposed to saying 'Bugger you'

Stop being so over dramatic.
I will when Nintendo get third party support rolling and release new iterations in their top tier franchises.

yeah. nintendo sucks for being the only first party to do this sort of thing.
At least everyone else has good third party support and a healthy digital store.

Madao

Apparently, a Wii U version of Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon wasn't all that was listed by the distributor.

There was also a Wii U version of Brain Age: Concentration Training that was newly listed:

TqSs720.png

Like Luigi's Mansion, it's also available at retailers like Amazon:

wPHh3n3.png

TXEuMBk.png

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CIZ712A/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Is Nintendo starting a trend of 3DS to Wii U ports? Or did the distributor just make a mistake? I'm not sure if this gives it more or less credibility.

with how bad the 3DS Brain Age sold, it's very possible that they might want to port it to get more money out of it. it would work better as an eShop $10 game imo.

Darryl

Banned

when i tracked the product code for that brain age game, it was an identical match to the already released 3ds one. type it in on newegg.com in the search bar

like i said earlier in this thread, this is not new info. this information has been available since february of this year.

when i tracked the product code for that brain age game, it was an identical match to the already released 3ds one. type it in on newegg.com in the search bar

like i said earlier in this thread, this is not new info. this information has been available since february of this year.

I know the product code is identical, but they have different SKU numbers than the previous 3DS games.

Compare this:

s1CYJQJ.png

to this:

WBnB5Td.png

Someone deliberately inputted a new Wii U version of these games with a different SKU number, but left the product code identical to the 3DS.

Is this because they received indication from Nintendo to prepare for a supply of retail copies? Or was this just some sort of error?

RoadDogg

I don't see why Nintendo would bother brining over a game like this to the Wii U. It's mission structure is made to be played in a portable setting and would feel even more disjointed on a home console then it already is. They would hopefully be smart enough to bring a proper console version of the game over instead, or just port the first Luigi's Mansion instead. Paper Mario on the 3DS has the same issue. Kid Icarus would work though.

Chittagong

Gold Member
CTR codes are for 3DS, WUP are for Wii U :-(

Which reminds me that we still have no idea of the project names behind them

I don't see why Nintendo would bother brining over a game like this to the Wii U. It's mission structure is made to be played in a portable setting and would feel even more disjointed on a home console then it already is. They would hopefully be smart enough to bring a proper console version of the game over instead, or just port the first Luigi's Mansion instead. Paper Mario on the 3DS has the same issue. Kid Icarus would work though.

If this is a port (I'm leaning towards it being a mistake) they could take out the mission based structure and make every mansion an open level until you beat it to open the next. It would be perfect since I didn't really care for the way things were broken up.

RoadDogg

If this is a port (I'm leaning towards it being a mistake) they could take out the mission based structure and make every mansion an open level until you beat it to open the next. It would be perfect since I didn't really care for the way things were broken up.

Agreed, I really dislike the mission structure they are doing with 3DS games. I just don't see Nintendo doing that instead of making a new game based on the same engine/setting/story. I guess they did it with DKCR though (in reverse) so who knows, maybe they would.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Hmmm... Curiouser and curiouser...

Here's our chat session with Newegg, which have guaranteed the accuracy of the product listing.

Lydia: Thank you for holding and you are welcome, Kevin. We have listed all the applicable information from the manufacturers on the website. All the information you see on Newegg.com comes directly from the manufacturer. We guarantee the information provided on our website. Unfortunately, the information that is not specified on our webpage will have to be obtained from the manufacturer. Their phone# is 1-800-255-3700.

Kevin: So, having said that, you’re confirming to me that Nintendo has released those details to Newegg. And, most importantly, that the subject listing is, in fact, accurate?

Lydia: All the information on the item page is from the manufacturer and we do guarantee that information.

Kevin: That’s a good enough answer for me then. I appreciate your time, Lydia.

http://www.nintendonews.com/wii-u/n...ansion-dark-moon-wii-u-listing-is-guaranteed/

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Hope this is false. Would rather them spend development time on something different.

Much as I liked Dark Moon, I really had to force myself to finish that last mansion and I cannot see myself ever playing that game again.

Thing is, Wii U needs games now and in the years to come. If they can take 1 team and instead of having that team work on a brand new game for 2 years have them do 3DS ports I think it would be worth it for them. If WW HD is any indication they could get 4 games out on that amount of time. I don't think they should have more than 1 team doing it but 1 team who's job it is to port games to Wii-U and release them every 6-8 months would be worth it.

No_Style

Oh please let it be this! That game was a chore because of all that segmentation.

In my opinion, the structure of Dark Moon makes it much more suited to 3ds than Wii U.

I would however LOVE to see a HD remaster of the original.

AniHawk

At least everyone else has good third party support and a healthy digital store.

that's kind of bullshit reasoning. while they could have helped out with their third party situation (the eshop's problems aren't library related), singling nintendo out for something they might do when other companies do it far more frequently doesn't make sense.

I won't. Had enough if this bollocks and I'm amazed that most people here are just soon happy for whatever Nintendo dishes out as opposed to saying 'Bugger you'

I will when Nintendo get third party support rolling and release new iterations in their top tier franchises.

Do they? lol

Kimawolf

i think it's a good idea. Again 3rd parties won't play ball, you have to fill in the blank somehow. hell i'd like them to do HD remasters of popular 3rd party 3DS games as well.

jnWake

If this is true, I hope it is has both Mansion games. It'd be cool for me since I haven't played either of them!

Top Bottom