• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lunar & Grandia may be coming to Steam

Dachande

I've never completed Grandia, I'd love that to blast through one week off work or something.

I really would hope it'd be ported from the Saturn codebase and retranslated though...

I was going to counter that they already had a Windows version to work with, but apparently it wasn't used and this was a completely new port? Impressive.

Yep. You could even copy over your Dreamcast save games and load them in the new port.

RedSwirl

I feel worse and worse about paying $36 for that physical PS1 copy of Grandia 1 all those years ago and never playing it. If it comes to GOG I'll consider selling it (a store up the street might take it for $50) and just switching to that.

StereoVsn

I've never completed Grandia, I'd love that to blast through one week off work or something.

I really would hope it'd be ported from the Saturn codebase and retranslated though...

Eh, retranslation is a bit much to ask for. Same for Saturn. It's pretty much guaranteed to be a PSX version, IMO.

cj_iwakura

Do the Sega CD version, show everyone the joy of a real world map. Lunar has to be the only classic RPG where people fondly remember the (inferior) remake. :p

zakujanai

Only ever played the PSP version of Lunar and didn't like it at all. I'd definitely buy one of the other versions though as I've been assured they're much better and I want to know why people love it so much.

cj_iwakura

tbh I will be legitimately surprised if it's based on anything other than the PSP version.

I would think so(blech), except Grandia II being based on the DC version gives me hope for miracles.

Only ever played the PSP version of Lunar and didn't like it at all. I'd definitely buy one of the other versions though as I've been assured they're much better and I want to know why people love it so much.

The PSP version was neutered. No world map, easy battles, etc.

wrowa

I... I don't think I can stomach another rerelease of Silver Star. It's a great game, but, come on, after half a dozen rereleases it'd be quite nice to finally get Eternal Blue as well...

Eusis

tbh I will be legitimately surprised if it's based on anything other than the PSP version.
Cautious optimism and going with the 32-bit version here. It was used for the later iOS version, so there IS precedent in blowing off Harmony.

But like said I'd like them to just get each of them on, even if we have to buy them individually. It's what SE should've been doing too for that matter, although in that case there's like no reason to buy the gussied up versions.

I'd be happy with the PSP version of Lunar since thats the first version I played but either one of them is fine with me. I wouldn't mind replaying it again.

Vice

There's the mobile version that's similar to the PSX version. Not sure how the rights are on that one though. I believe it's the most recent release.

Lothar

Banned
I've been playing both of these games recently.

Grandia started off great but really falls apart and becomes a drag on the 2nd CD I found. Lunar SSSC is still fantastic all the way through.

Neoweee

This was strongly hinted at back when Grandia 2 came out on Steam. Their release schedule listed a few unknown titles with descriptions clearly gelling with what they asked on their retro survey.

For what it is worth, they did a hell of a good job with Patches for Grandia 2 after its rocky release, and the Hard Mode, while not a great difficulty mod, is an improvement over the base game.

I used to love Lunar SSSC when I was in middle school; i beat it multiple times. I hope this isnt the crappy psp or ios versions. I want to throw money at this but not unless its the ps1 version.

Will buy both as soon as they launch.

Both games with achievements and (hopefully) trading cards? Delicious.

Also hope that they're optimized to their full potential.

GLORIOUS Game-Arts Goodness givin' PC players some lovin'. If true Ill pick up Grandia 1 (it was one of those games that "disappeared" during a house party).

Eusis

I wonder if Grandia will have a new dub since Sony translated the first game?
I half expect the licensing costs of that to be like a nickle so I think a new dub is more for the sake of GOOD VA.

And if they can get the Japanese voice track, well, does it really matter if it means we can see the game released at a practical price? Even for those who don't buy you can at least PARTIALLY appreciate a voice track you can't fully understand you'd at least have less offensive white noise complementing the scenes.

I've heard such terrible things about the translation that I've put off playing the original Grandia. Who would even have the rights to the original English script? Ubisoft? SCEA? Hopefully this release required a shiny new one.

And I'll buy anything Lunar, as long as it isn't the PSP version.

Top Bottom