• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lunar & Grandia may be coming to Steam

Kyo

I just hope they offer the option to play with English text and Japanese audio. The game loses so much of its charm with the English dub.

Last edited:

LordCiego

This will be my opportunity too play Lunar, after postponing it for years. At least I hope we have the psx fmv, I loved the english songs.

And all of you should play Grandia 1, its one of the games with the greatest "Adventure" feeling. Reaching the wall and that music <3

Dark_castle

This is one of the differences that someone once told me.

You know how in Grandia's battles, the characters run around on a field, and the camera follows them around and zooms in and out, and the characters can move up and down depending on terrain? That's because the characters were running around on polygon-based terrain.

sbH3NCY.jpg

In the Playstation port, characters were running around on a 256x256 bitmap picture of polygons that had previously been rendered in realtime by the Saturn.

DpKuN01.png

So the Saturn version can look better when ported to modern technology, but a muddy zoomed-in 256x256 bitmap is always going to be a muddy zoomed-in 256x256 bitmap.

It's sort of like how the PS2 version of Resident Evil 4 has instances where it's running recorded video of the GameCube original doing things in realtime. It's a trick to make the game work on a system it wasn't designed for. Later ports were cleanly based on the GameCube original, they weren't ports of the already-compromised PlayStation port.

You learn something new each day.

Hope they port the Saturn version!

Zee-Row

Banned
This is one of the differences that someone once told me.

You know how in Grandia's battles, the characters run around on a field, and the camera follows them around and zooms in and out, and the characters can move up and down depending on terrain? That's because the characters were running around on polygon-based terrain.

sbH3NCY.jpg

In the Playstation port, characters were running around on a 256x256 bitmap picture of polygons that had previously been rendered in realtime by the Saturn.

DpKuN01.png

So the Saturn version can look better when ported to modern technology, but a muddy zoomed-in 256x256 bitmap is always going to be a muddy zoomed-in 256x256 bitmap.

It's sort of like how the PS2 version of Resident Evil 4 has instances where it's running recorded video of the GameCube original doing things in realtime. It's a trick to make the game work on a system it wasn't designed for. Later ports were cleanly based on the GameCube original, they weren't ports of the already-compromised PlayStation port.

Thats an odd change considering the PS1 was the polygon machine back in the day.

Was playing a bit of Grandia last night and said to myself, "goddamn these battle backgrounds look repulsive!", and now I finally know why. I had no idea they just used flat images instead of polygonal ones. It actually really turns me off of the game because I have to see it so often. Even when the PS1 version first came out they stood out as being not quite right.

The VAing isn't the real issue with the game. It's the cadence. From what I can tell, the original JP version has a very specific speed to how the text appears and the line is spoken. When they localized the game, that didn't change either because they didn't want to or they couldn't. As a result, the voice acting is very unnatural because of the strange pauses between lines. The VAs themselves aren't bad at all and probably would do quite a nice job if they could have, lol.

Sounds a lot like the issues with FFX's English dub.

Thats an odd change considering the PS1 was the polygon machine back in the day.

Grandia was originally a Saturn-exclusive; that's why. The tricks they used to make it look as good as it does on the Saturn must not have translated to the PS1.

My dream for Grandia would be that they take the Saturn version w/the PS1 translation, give it the usual PC bells & whistles, add some harder difficulty options, and add/localize the expansion pack-esque bonus disk that we never got. I know that's asking for a lot, but I can dream, can't I?

So I take it that this means I shouldn't get the PS1 classic version of Grandia then? Looking forward to what Gungho will be putting out.

So I take it that this means I shouldn't get the PS1 classic version of Grandia then? Looking forward to what Gungho will be putting out.

Even with the PS1->Saturn downgrade, the PS1 version is still a great game and unlike the Saturn version, it's in English. If they release Grandia on Steam, it'll probably be the best version available, but on the plus side, the PSN version of Grandia can be played portably on the Vita.

TheChaos

My dream for Grandia would be that they take the Saturn version w/the PS1 translation, give it the usual PC bells & whistles, add some harder difficulty options, and add/localize the expansion pack-esque bonus disk that we never got. I know that's asking for a lot, but I can dream, can't I?

Keep in mind that the bonus dungeons were added in the PS1 version as well.

Parsnip

Dragon King Slice!

They should touch up the Grandia translation a bit, but I don't think re-translation would be necessary. Just change the mysteriously age restricted "cafes" back to sake bars or whatever they were originally. :p

zakujanai

Dragon King Slice!

They should touch up the Grandia translation a bit, but I don't think re-translation would be necessary. Just change the mysteriously age restricted "cafes" back to sake bars or whatever they were originally. :p

What about the big barrels of coffee?

Eila

Guys I imagine the input of what version you want has little meaning now that they've been working on it. But people did mention in the original survey thread that they wanted Saturn Grandia, so let's hope they listened!
Lunar was a lot more divided, though. Wonder what they'll do with the series.
I believe I posted this before, but the devs of Grandia II Anniversary have one unanounced steam game:
http://skyboxlabs.com/games/

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I already own them on Vita/PSN but I'll rebuy what I want to rebuy and would definitely dabble in on an OG PS1 Lunar.

Falk

that puzzling face

It's been the year of dreams so far.

PastaTaco

GungHo America
I need a better descriptor than "Junior Member." I wonder if "GungTroll" is available...

That's what I get for being a lil' lurker dood.

Also, didn't realize "Cool story bro" could be seen as sarcastic ;-3

Caspel sits in front of me. He is literally my GungBro and I think he tells cool stories.

That said, I should stop foruming and get back to work...

coolbrys

I'm still waiting for this.
Magic_Knight_Rayearth_Coverart.png

It's not going to happen, I know

Woah, brings back memories. My dad actually did the voice of Zagat, which is how I got introduced to Lunar (he brought home a free copy).

Lunar is by far my favorite JRPG. I hope SSSC and Eternal Blue both get on PC! I'd definitely talk others into picking them up.

Will throw big piles of cash at a perfect Grandia port - Eng/Jpn VA choice, localisation looked at to be more faithful, etc.

What I am expecting is the PS1 version, maybe with a VA choice. Which is also totally fine.

Ampsicora

Will throw big piles of cash at a perfect Grandia port - Eng/Jpn VA choice, localisation looked at to be more faithful, etc.

What I am expecting is the PS1 version, maybe with a VA choice. Which is also totally fine.

If they still have the Playstation source code, most probably they still have the Saturn source code as well.

If they still have the Playstation source code, most probably they still have the Saturn source code as well.

Yes, but that doesn't mean the Saturn code is usable - it is a harder console to emulate than the PS1, so I'd assume the code would be harder to port.

For all we know this will be an emulation jobbie with no access to the original code.

IrishNinja

god, i really need to finish Grandia....this is awesome news, though! biggest whole in steam's catalog, and 2 classic (especially Lunar!) jrpg's plugging it up, fantastic

cj_iwakura

Woah, brings back memories. My dad actually did the voice of Zagat, which is how I got introduced to Lunar (he brought home a free copy).

Lunar is by far my favorite JRPG. I hope SSSC and Eternal Blue both get on PC! I'd definitely talk others into picking them up.

That's really cool. (And he did a great job.)

11.jpg

The time has come for a little... child abuse.

Top Bottom