• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Macronix: We will provide memory products for NX

How is Nintendo going to solve the problem of developers just wanting to make NX console games and not make it compatible with the NX handheld?
I'd imagine it's more of a marketing concern than a technical one. If the software/OS is capable of saying "for the console, I need to use this resolution, these assets/effects, etc., and for the handheld, I use these", it shouldn't be any real leap to just make a game work only for one or the other.

I would tend to think that the possible consumer confusion of "which NX device will this NX game play on?" is something publishers would want to avoid, though.

Is this gamefreak issue really a thing the way people say it is? Nobody answers when I ask why they didn't block use of their games in super gameboy and gameboy advance player.

Neoxon

Is this gamefreak issue really a thing the way people say it is? Nobody answers when I ask why they didn't block use of their games in super gameboy and gameboy advance player.
It's more of Game Freak preferring to work on handhelds. Granted, you could in theory play whatever Gen 7 game they have planned on the NX Console if you so choose, but I wouldn't expect Game Freak to put any effort into putting in 1080p assets (they'd at most do a simple upscale for everything). As for them potentially bringing Pokémon Z at launch, that game is probably gonna stay on the 3DS.

Peltz

How is Nintendo going to solve the problem of developers just wanting to make NX console games and not make it compatible with the NX handheld? I think that most Japanese developers would welcome being able to have a single game work on 2 different platforms so it can reach out to so many people as possible.

But let's say that Nintendo announces that games made for the handheld and console will work on the other platform and vice verse. But then Gamefreak is like "we want the mainline Pokemon games to be handheld exclusive only" and release it with a "Handheld exclusive" stamp on it. What I'm trying to say is that if people buy either handheld or console and all games work on it and then comes a game like Pokemon that doesn't, how is Nintendo going to solve that? Isn't that a bit risky and makes consumer unsure if game X really work on hardware A or B?

Or am I just overthinking this?
The answer is: we don't know yet. I think the myNintendo account service that they play to launch will make everything clear.

Hermii

I think handheld games will be very litle work to port over to console because the console is obviously more powerful. Multiplat console games on the other hand (should Nintendo get 3rd party back) may be impossible to port to the handheld

I can't imagine game freak going out of their way to make pokemon handheld only and make less money

It's nowhere near as easy to implement as it sounds. The capacity for upgrades needs to be designed into the system from day 1.
Yeah, but... what was stopping them from designing the Wii with this concept from Day 1?

The Wii would've benefited a ton from the added RAM later in its life. But then again, it wouldn't have been the same impact as N64 with higher res. But at least we would've gotten something out of it as gamers.

atbigelow

Yeah, but... what was stopping them from designing the Wii with this concept from Day 1?

The Wii would've benefited a ton from the added RAM later in its life. But then again, it wouldn't have been the same impact as N64 with higher res. But at least we would've gotten something out of it as gamers.

By that logic, why don't all console manufacturers do it? PS3 could have used more RAM, too. But it creates rifts in the consumer base and adds product confusion.

Pokemaniac

How is Nintendo going to solve the problem of developers just wanting to make NX console games and not make it compatible with the NX handheld? I think that most Japanese developers would welcome being able to have a single game work on 2 different platforms so it can reach out to so many people as possible.

But let's say that Nintendo announces that games made for the handheld and console will work on the other platform and vice verse. But then Gamefreak is like "we want the mainline Pokemon games to be handheld exclusive only" and release it with a "Handheld exclusive" stamp on it. What I'm trying to say is that if people buy either handheld or console and all games work on it and then comes a game like Pokemon that doesn't, how is Nintendo going to solve that? Isn't that a bit risky and makes consumer unsure if game X really work on hardware A or B?

Or am I just overthinking this?

Exclusives will likely be allowed, as not doing so introduces issues.

Pokemon is not likely to be handheld exclusive (Game Freak isn't that crazy), but any potential handheld exclusive is likely to actually not logistically work on a console.

It's more that the lead platform will always be handheld. Presented with the option to allow the handheld games to be played on console "for free", I doubt they'd decline.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Xbone is still the worst, we knew about the DRM months before the Console was even announced.

PS4 had unsubstantiated rumours of the same thing until that E3.

In four days time, I believe.

Right around the Wii U's scheduled maintenance. Coincidence?

G2YyTxm.jpg

Probably, though it could have something to do with accounts.

Top Bottom