• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAD MAX |OT| Beyond Thunderpoon

10 hours into the game, here are my impressions (Xbox One version):

+Attention to detail is awesome. Engine clicks when car is turned off, heat waves rise from the engine, black smoke shoots out of the exhaust pipes when the car is turned on. Little stuff like this always makes me happy in games.

+The world is beautiful. You can even enter a built in photo mode by clicking in both sticks, complete with filters.

+Tons of stuff to upgrade

+While there are a lot of camps in the game to liberate, each one feels pretty unique.

+The music and ambient sounds out in the wasteland are incredible.

+Storms are scary but oh so awesome. I love seeing a storm on the horizon and then driving straight into it. The sound of the wind is powerful and deafening, especially with headphones on.

+Hand to hand combat is brutal. While it is easy, its just fun to watch. Fury mode is awesome.

+Car combat, while tough at first gets better with upgrades.

-Scrap is hard to come by a lot of times, so while there are a lot of upgrades, it'll take a long time to get everything your going to want. While this isn't necessarily a bad thing now, I think it will be when I'm playing 20 hours from now.

-There really is a lot to do and right now I'm loving it. I am worried that I won't be loving it later though. I guess we'll find out in another 10-20 hours.

-So far the story is about upgrading the car. And thats about it. I hope it opens up more.

I'm gonna get back to playing. Right now the game is a solid 8.5 from me.

Nice write up. Sounds like a game I would enjoy.

Simo

Did the reviewers have access to these changes? They read off as potentially substantial. Maybe not world changing in terms of the perception of the game but possibly enough to tweak scores.

Maybe not? 2 patches went up over the weekend including this day zero one. The first patch I believe fixed some stuff along with adding alternate control schemes etc.

This seems like a patch that could have influenced a few points in a review, eesh.

One reviewer didn't like how Max moved. I'm not sure how much his animations were actually tweaked but its something worth acknowledging. The enhancements to story and even missions is something I would like more detail about.

Then you have this bit here:

Open World – Fixed several issues with NPC assets, camera manipulation, currency gathering, vehicle combat, collision, movement, and fast traveling.

All of those could influence a review. Perhaps they should have gotten these tweaks in before handing out review code.

Maybe not? 2 patches went up over the weekend including this day zero one. The first patch I believe fixed some stuff along with adding alternate control schemes etc.

I'm not sure if the day zero was out until today, that is why I'm asking. The linked website makes it seems like it just came out today.

Starfield

Those that are already playing on PC, what sort of CPU usage are you getting?

d82c3b1a0c.png

Does that help you?

Under "Process" it says around 12% usage though. (for Mad Max)

Not really that high

Since I haven't played it yet because like most of us in North America I'm waiting for it to unlock and haven't really read at all as to what the story actually is. If I could have chosen a route to take with the story I would've gone with being more focused on building the legend (with its own positive and negative side effects) of Mad Max with each controlled region having its own story arc for you complete.

Also could've opened a nice door for a New Game Plus option.

TI82

Banned
Yep, played about an hour as well. Fun game. Solid 8/10 thus far, I doubt it holds up compared to MGS V but honestly few games this year/generation will.

And yes I used VPN, super easy. Wish MGS V would unlock too :/

Teknoman

This...Until Dawn, MGS V, Mario maker, and Stasis all in the same month? Damn this was a good September for gaming.

Definity

Ha, been playing this for well over 30+ hours and just now come across a
high value vehicle
hidden away in a tunnel.

Phionoxx

Have about an hour and a half of playtime in on PC so far. Game runs great! Very fun so far from what I have played.

I got hit with a bug though that is causing some issues. After about 10 to 15 minutes of playing, the game audio cuts out and tends to get hung up on dialog. Then the engine sound cuts out. Then the assets of the world seem to stop loading in. Then I can't access the menu to exit out of the game - and have to CTRL + ALT + DEL to start task manager and kill the process from there. A bit frustrating. Anyone else experienced anything like this?

Edit: Uh, re-verifyed the game files on Steam and it said that 11 files were missing and needed to be installed, totaling 4.7 GB. Kind of odd that I was able to even run the game if I was missing that much data? I bet that will fix these problems.

Kin5290

Polygon's issue with the "female lead" is that she's a "damsel in distress" and not like the female lead of Fury Road

Dear Polygon....this isn't based on Fury Road
Well this is a valid complaint, because Fury Road clearly shows that a female lead who isn't just a damsel in distress is totally possible.

I'm not really really sure why people like so many games with female leads who they have to save again and again and again anyways. And it's unclear why she's necessary here, when we already know she'll be dead/have left by the end anyways.

DOWN

Banned
Someone convince me to pay the $56 I'll have to pay for this on PS4 because I really want it but I don't like the scores for that price

Smooth 120 fps. So good.

FUCK. YEAH. I love it when a game will support, or get close enough to support my 144hz monitor. I couldn't believe how much smoother it is even compared to 60fps. I didn't think I'd be able to tell the difference to be honest, but I absolutely can now.

Someone convince me to pay the $56 I'll have to pay for this on PS4 because I really want it but I don't like the scores for that price

Do you like Mad Max? Are you a fan of Avalanche's Sand Box design? If the answer is yes, you'll most likely enjoy this game.

thecjm

Question: Is Max Australian? I remember some of the earliest previews having him with an American accent and was worried that between that, and the game not being anything like the outstanding Fury Road in tone or context, mean that the devs did Just Not Get It.

Only about an hour in, but so far my impressions are positive! Now to break for some food, then start the download for mgs.

Edit: Highly recommend alternate controls for controller. Makes it a bit closer to what I'm used to with 3rd person games.

Top Bottom