• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAD MAX |OT| Beyond Thunderpoon

Simo

Anyone rent from their local redbox?

Doesn't show any in -stock around me nor any zip code in the US I look up. Can I just rent it if I go to the kiosk, good chance it's there?

There's a War Boy a few posts up with a copy from Redbox it seems. Color me surprised it was already available there, I thought they don't update their selections until Tuesdays.

Teknoman

PC screenshots.

o537Pmr.jpg

ek0ErxK.jpg

xPv2zoB.jpg

6n2pbk8.jpg

Hopefully I can snag Fury Road from Redbox after work.

I'm playing on PC (nothing overclocked or anything)

i5-4690K 3.5GHz
R9 290X 4GB
8GB RAM

The highest preset doesn't max everything out so I went "Custom" and maxed the settings that still had some room to go. I'm at 1080p and the small bit I was able to play was very smooth with no issues. Again, I have only really played a few minutes but so far so good. Here's a screenshot using the capture mode. Nothing fancy but it's just what I could do in the little bit of time I had.

10 hours into the game, here are my impressions (Xbox One version):

+Attention to detail is awesome. Engine clicks when car is turned off, heat waves rise from the engine, black smoke shoots out of the exhaust pipes when the car is turned on. Little stuff like this always makes me happy in games.

+The world is beautiful. You can even enter a built in photo mode by clicking in both sticks, complete with filters.

+Tons of stuff to upgrade

+While there are a lot of camps in the game to liberate, each one feels pretty unique.

+The music and ambient sounds out in the wasteland are incredible.

+Storms are scary but oh so awesome. I love seeing a storm on the horizon and then driving straight into it. The sound of the wind is powerful and deafening, especially with headphones on.

+Hand to hand combat is brutal. While it is easy, its just fun to watch. Fury mode is awesome.

+Car combat, while tough at first gets better with upgrades.

-Scrap is hard to come by a lot of times, so while there are a lot of upgrades, it'll take a long time to get everything your going to want. While this isn't necessarily a bad thing now, I think it will be when I'm playing 20 hours from now.

-There really is a lot to do and right now I'm loving it. I am worried that I won't be loving it later though. I guess we'll find out in another 10-20 hours.

-So far the story is about upgrading the car. And thats about it. I hope it opens up more.

I'm gonna get back to playing. Right now the game is a solid 8.5 from me.

I've got it early (PS4) and spend quite a bit time with it (~15h). Love it so far! They captured the setting perfectly and the game is just gorgeous.

• Combat is fun from the start, but gets much better once Max learns some additional moves. It's not as complex as Arkham's system, but easier to manage.
  • Car combat is amazing! It is really fun once you have a couple of upgrades.
  • Explosions! Best I've seen in a game! Love them!
  • Performance is great on the PS4, no slow downs, everything feels fluid and responsive.
  • The map is huge and the locations diverse.
  • Story is ok so far, there is a lot going on at least. Voice acting seems a bit forced at times (especially the Australian accent). Like in Fury Road, the world building is much better than the dialogue.
  • Side missions are quite fun: not that many fetch quests, quite some with a story, and a lot of camps/fortresses with different layouts and challenges. If you liked open world games like Far Cry 3/4, you will enjoy them.
  • Side activities are easy to do, that's how it should be.
  • The capture mode ist one of the best ones I've seen. You can setup everything from perspective to filter and play the game this way.
  • Max on foot is not the most responsive character to control. Feels like JC2 at times. And he can't jump, he just hops... I hate it when games don't have a dedicated jump (button).

Oof, tough decision ahead. I have more than enough to play on both and I still have both UD and Gears to start.

Man, I wish I hadn't watched that storm video...

JRW

I finished the 1st story mission (about 30 minutes in), So far I'm impressed and it runs great on my aging PC, It defaulted on the High graphic preset (1080P)

It stayed pegged @ 60fps the whole time so I may fiddle with higher settings, Looks like a good PC port so far!

i7 920 @ 3.4ghz
12GB DDR3
EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB
Xbox 360 wireless controller
Windows 10

Lego Boss

Does anyone know why Amazon are not shipping this until Thursday in the UK? I had a Prime order and it says 'on time' but release date is today right?

Dafuq?

Played for an hour or so.

If you like Arkham and car combat, you'll like this game. If you enjoy open world games, you'll like this even more.

Played about 20 minutes and finished the first mission, game is better than I thought. Too bad it'll go in the backlog as I started Witcher 3 last week and am downloading MGSV at the moment.

Pezking

Does anyone know why Amazon are not shipping this until Thursday in the UK? I had a Prime order and it says 'on time' but release date is today right?

Dafuq?

Amazon.de shipped my Ripper Edition on saturday, along with MGS V. Received them both yesterday. I'm not a Prime customer.

None of that horrendous pop-in is present on the PC version, I'm pretty damn happy.

This and MGS V are definitely fighting for my attention with Satellite Reign nudging me every so often.

Bedlam

Xander51

I know some folks have mentioned it already, but the sound design in this game is GREAT. The gunshots, the storms, the explosions, the engine noises...they all have the right punch and depth to the soundscape. Loving this on my headphones. If you've got a good sound system or a decent pair of headphones, this is a great game to show them off.

I'm enjoying the game so far, but one thing that bothers me is how the camera doesn't auto-center when on foot (only when driving). In other words, if you rotate/tilt the camera when on foot, it won't automatically return to its original position--you must instead do it yourself. It isn't a huge deal, but it is an annoyance nonetheless. I think there should be an option for this feature at the very least.

ekim

I've got it early (PS4) and spend quite a bit time with it (~15h). Love it so far! They captured the setting perfectly and the game is just gorgeous.

• Combat is fun from the start, but gets much better once Max learns some additional moves. It's not as complex as Arkham's system, but easier to manage.
  • Car combat is amazing! It is really fun once you have a couple of upgrades.
  • Explosions! Best I've seen in a game! Love them!
  • Performance is great on the PS4, no slow downs, everything feels fluid and responsive.
  • The map is huge and the locations diverse.
  • Story is ok so far, there is a lot going on at least. Voice acting seems a bit forced at times (especially the Australian accent). Like in Fury Road, the world building is much better than the dialogue.
  • Side missions are quite fun: not that many fetch quests, quite some with a story, and a lot of camps/fortresses with different layouts and challenges. If you liked open world games like Far Cry 3/4, you will enjoy them.
  • Side activities are easy to do, that's how it should be.
  • The capture mode ist one of the best ones I've seen. You can setup everything from perspective to filter and play the game this way.
  • Max on foot is not the most responsive character to control. Feels like JC2 at times. And he can't jump, he just hops... I hate it when games don't have a dedicated jump (button).

Wut. You can jump with L2/LT

nded

Spent a few hours playing. Game starts off kinda slow, but I'm digging the car combat. Took a while to take down my first convoy leader, but it was so satisfying.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Please tell I'm not the only one who tried to walk across the large chain at the very beginning. ;)

Someone was saying the opposite yesterday in the other Mad Max thread. Can't find the post right now.

It's just that some areas are more affected than others it seems.

Idk, I played for two hours and didn't notice any pop-in -- max settings.

I'm watching a stream and this game looks pretty ass.

Ass? I'm enjoying it more than Watch_Dogs and Assassin's Creed.

Combat's not stale, not as deep as Arkham Knight. Car handling's pretty good; they managed to translate Fury Road into a videogame pretty well with respect to driving.

I'm enjoying it more than Shadow of Mordor (which I enjoyed). I don't really get the negative reviews/impressions after spending some time with it.

SJRB

Gold Member
Visually very striking indeed. Looking forward to Thursday (curse of the European release date).

Six hours have flown like nothing! Game is amazing. PC version seems pretty good in my opinion. The game seems huge and customization very deep. I am a fanboy of the setting.

Eggbok

The only "complaint" I have so far is that when you die it feels so unsatisfying lol. Like of course dying wont be satisfying when it happens but it just seems so simple. You just die and that's it, no sound effect, no vibrations, no music, nothing lol.

That's more like nitpicking though, having fun with the game for sure!!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Someone was saying the opposite yesterday in the other Mad Max thread. Can't find the post right now.

It's just that some areas are more affected than others it seems.

The PC version unlocked very recently (less than 14 hours ago) and from what I've read, everybody who has actually played the game at max settings -- myself included -- hasn't noticed any pop-in while travelling throughout the wasteland despite it being present in the pre-release PC stream ~a couple of weeks ago. It appears that either the game wasn't maxed out when the stream kicked off or Avalanche was still tweaking things (or both).

Crackbone

Game is just fun. The car combat is insanely well done and there's a ton of stuff to do.

I'm guessing the open world fatigue is real if this game is getting low scores. It's a fun ride in every sense.

Drewfonse

Fuck it, I'm in.

just bought the Xbox One's Thunderpoon Edition on Amazon. And when I checked out, my Prime membership knocked the price down to $52.99.

Thursday it is.

RK9039

Damn those crates you can get during storms give a lot of scraps, like 300 per crate. I found two, it's really risky driving in a storm though.

Man these impressions make me want to jump in and buy it too....

Going to wait though, no sense in getting both this and MGS today. I must keep telling myself that.

Hystzen

It's the perfect sale price game it neither bad or stand out it just a solid attempt at the usual open world formula. It perfect for those draughts and you notice game is on sale cheap.

Top Bottom