• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madcatz reveal Street Fighter V Arcade Sticks and Fight Pad

Parsnip

fighting-commander-for-playstation-4-playstation-3-438621.3.jpg

This looks really nice, I assume it's just usb and will work on PC as well. Can't seem to find it anywhere though.

probably intentionally designed that way for claw style players
I've never heard of such thing.

masq

Neo Member
No one confused why the Fight Pad Pro seemingly has a wire/cable?

Is that some "hardcore" fighting posturing or something? "TEH LATENCIEZ BRO," etc?

theyre all wired.
From the Amazon listing for one of them:

Reliable USB Connectivity: The world's best fighters prefer a low-latency USB connection. A 13ft/4m USB cable on this Street Fighter arcade stick keeps you at a comfortable distance from your TV

FinKL

Good that they made an entry level not everyone wants to drop $200+.

The entry level one looks like a kid's first fight stick. Those pictures don't do it justice I'm assuming. I know I want a new TES+, just don't know if I want to part with my 360 OG TE or 360 Fight Stick Pro.

Because wireless controllers have been problematic in tournaments.

I can see how a wired connection on the arcade sticks would cater to that market. But fight pads, yo? Surely that's just some simpleton consumer shit, right? Wireless makes more sense there imo...Or why not both? Have both options built right in. Kinda corny.

That's the Tekken Vs SF TE stick from Madcatz

So yes it's a TE for 80$ with a Cronus adapter too?

Owning a Titan one, I can tell you it lags. (cronus is an unofficial copy and can only induce worse lag)

Honestly, my take on all this is, keep your stick, get a cheap soldering iron, end stripper and some tin and a ps360+ or a Hori FC4, learn how to solder (gonna be really easy to do, no pcb modding involved with the ps360+, just solder the wires), and save money, and learn something.

win/win situation in my book.

I can see how a wired connection on the arcade sticks would cater to that market. But fight pads, yo? Surely that's just some simpleton consumer shit, right? Wireless makes more sense there imo...Or why not both? Have both options built right in. Kinda corny.

There are top players that use pads too you know.

linid0t

Does that alpha entry model have Sanwa parts? Or standard sized generics that can be modded out easy? Might be worth to replace this sort of broken case I own if I can just pop in the Sanwa parts I have.

BadWolf

There was an incident at an EVO where someone from the audience paused a match using a wireless controller. Those are the kinds of problems I'm referring to.

EVO doesn't allow wireless controllers at all now iirc.

Akibared

The entry level one looks like a kid's first fight stick. Those pictures don't do it justice I'm assuming. I know I want a new TES+, just don't know if I want to part with my 360 OG TE or 360 Fight Stick Pro.

Yeah it doesn't looks great but I started out with this as my first stick and I bet the Alpha is even better.
yqjldcE.jpg

That TES+ looks sick. The Amazon trade-in value for my TE2 is pretty high so I'll just upgrade for 20 bucks.

You can do that?!

RobNBanks

Banned
Now we are going over 200 for sticks. Lol and this will help the genre grow how?

Most people won't play with an arcade stick and it's not really necessary either?

Louffy did well without one. SnakeEyez as well although he hasn't won an EVO. Good players will be good no matter what they use.

thelastword

Banned
Might as well stick with the DualShock 4. The rubber holding the dpad on the FC4 is very fragile. I'd only suggest you to get one if you can find it for cheap.

There's also this model available

fighting-commander-for-playstation-4-playstation-3-438621.3.jpg
Yeah, just plugged it in again, I've had it packed up since the SF5 beta stopped and even for that I've gone back to my DS4 when they unleashed Mika and Birdie. When Gief is unleashed it will be the DS4 for me completely.

In any case I had no idea they made a Commander Pro with equal length handles, I'd have preferred if they were longer, but the balance here is still better. I also hate the adjustable dpad on the one I have, it has a tendency to shift after a few play sessions, even if I lock it. And yes, there's generally some cheap rubber on the pad itself, the share, options, turbo buttons are all very cheap rubber, you hardly feel those when you press them.

You mean the 4 collar buttons? Those are very useful for shortcuts in fighting games for multiple button presses.
They are indeed useful. My problem is that the bottom two are triggers, they should be flat buttons instead like on the commander pro. It's much easier to press these in a fighting game to engage your ultra etc..., depressing a trigger is tremendously awkward due to it's inward depth.

RobNBanks

Banned
you could just save money and continue using your wireless dualshock

or keep going on about "teh latencies" and how you're so much better than them because wires are corny yo

whichever suits you

This looks really nice, I assume it's just usb and will work on PC as well. Can't seem to find it anywhere though.

I've never heard of such thing.
That's the fighting commander pro 3. Used to have one. Dpad was really stiff and you couldn't map all 8 buttons to the right. Came out years ago

HardRojo

I just skimmed through the post in MadCatz page, but I'm guessing these TE S+ and TE2+ sticks will also work on PS3 right? Do we know if they also work on PC? That'd be amazing!

Do I really need touchpad functionality on a stick?

I'm honestly wondering. I don't have a PS4.

It was one of the criticisms towards the first PS4 TE2 since games like MKX used the touchpad functionality for training mode. Hori sticks came with touchpads that were released around that time. They are just keeping up with the competition.

I just skimmed through the post in MadCatz page, but I'm guessing these TE S+ and TE2+ sticks will also work on PS3 right? Do we know if they also work on PC? That'd be amazing!

Yes they will work on all 3 right out of the box.

Yeah, just plugged it in again, I've had it packed up since the SF5 beta stopped and even for that I've gone back to my DS4 when they unleashed Mika and Birdie. When Gief is unleashed it will be the DS4 for me completely.

In any case I had no idea they made a Commander Pro with equal length handles, I'd have preferred if they were longer, but the balance here is still better. I also hate the adjustable dpad on the one I have, it has a tendency to shift after a few play sessions, even if I lock it. And yes, there's generally some cheap rubber on the pad itself, the share, options, turbo buttons are all very cheap rubber, you hardly feel those when you press them.

They are indeed useful. My problem is that the bottom two are triggers, they should be flat buttons instead like on the commander pro. It's much easier to press these in a fighting game to engage your ultra etc..., depressing a trigger is tremendously awkward due to it's inward depth.
That image is the fighting commander pro 3. Only works for PS3 and came out years ago. I had it

Skilletor

Do I really need touchpad functionality on a stick?

I'm honestly wondering. I don't have a PS4.

It's very useful in training mode. Since there's no "select" button anymore, it's used in training mode to reset position, show commands...that kind of thing.

It's not necessary, but it is definitely convenient.

Wedge7

Ah nice, was waiting for them to come out with new versions for SF5. I like both the TE2+ and the TES+. May get one of each so I have one for a buddy whenever they come over to play with.

Parsnip

supposedly releasing in Japan on 12.17

That's the fighting commander pro 3. Used to have one. Dpad was really stiff and you couldn't map all 8 buttons to the right. Came out years ago
Mixed messages!

they have a newer one coming out on 12.17, $29.99 from Play-Asia
You can pre-order

http://www.play-asia.com/fighting-commander-for-playstation-4-playstation-3/13/709efx

Oh, excellent.
I don't read Japanese, but it looks like it supports xinput and dinput.

vocab

Why are arcade sticks necessary to grow the genre?
They arent, but now the barrier of entry for sticks is way higher because of "reasons". Controllers are completely viable, but they arent for everyone when it comes to fighting games. Some people can make them work, but most cant. When people watch a stream and see a bunch of people with sticks they might be interested in the product, and the genre. Before, they were sub 150, hell some of them were sub 100, completely affordable, and approachable. Now, the price is so high, that the price tag acts as a deterrent.

Skilletor

They arent, but now the barrier of entry for sticks is way higher because of "reasons". Controllers are completely viable, but they arent for everyone when it comes to fighting games. Some people can make them work, but most cant. When people watch a stream and see a bunch of people with sticks they might be interested in the product, and the genre. Before, they were sub 150, hell some of them were sub 100, completely affordable, and approachable. Now, the price is so high, that the price tag acts as a deterrent.

Both Hori and Madcatz have sub-100 dollar sticks.
Hori's next tier stick is 150.
Madcatz is 200.

Similar to last generation.

What's the problem?

MOST people buying fighters aren't using sticks. MOST people you see on stream is not indicative of the millions of people buying SF. MOST people, by far, are going to use a DS4 to play SF5, and if you tell them that a controller is more than 50 dollars, they'll think it's silly to spend that much.

NolbertoS

I'm liking the new Sticks, but I'm holding for cheaper options. Madcatz needs to realize that they can't charge the aticks at almost the same price as a 3DS or more. I'll keep using my TE1 stick I have

Skilletor

I'm liking the new Sticks, but I'm holding for cheaper options. Madcatz needs to realize that they can't charge the aticks at almost the same price as a 3DS or more. I'll keep using my TE1 stick I have

Since TE2s are constantly sold out on PS4, I'd say you're wrong. People are definitely willing to pay the premium on sticks. Don't see what a 3DS has to do with anything, lol. Who cares how much a handheld is. Has nothing to do with the prices of accessories.

Hori has a 150 dollar option for everybody that thinks 200 is too much.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
A slightly ot question, why arcade sticks are so huge?
Look at the difference between the alpha and the others

Look at the distance between the normal buttons and the function buttons, isn't more comfortable to have them close like in the alpha? And what's the point of all that unused space at the left of the stick or the one at the right of the buttons for example? Arcade Sticks are usually almost empty inside, in fact you can put things inside the mortal kombat arcade stick
mortal-kombat-fight-stick-3.jpg

Skilletor

What's the point of all that unused space at the left of the stick or the one at the right of the buttons for example? Arcade Sticks are usually almost empty inside, in fact you can put things inside the mortal kombat arcade stick

Space to rest your palms. Length so that it's comfortable to sit in your lap. Space inside the case for the stick and buttons to fit comfortably. Ergonomics. I hate the alpha. I wouldn't want my stick and buttons to be so close, that's hella uncomfortable for me. I love larger sticks. It's one of the reasons I don't like the HRAP case and can't wait for the fightingedge. can comfortably rest my hands on the case without it hanging off, super solid feel on the plexi, and a striking design.

The MKX stick is based on an american stick and those buttons and sticks take up more space in the case.

Coda

I'm glad I have my Femme Fatale TE modded for PS4, I still love my stick to death. I have no interest in buying a new one. I just wish mine had anti-slip pads on the bottom. Plus I don't think I'll ever have another stick as pretty as this one.

femmefataleTE_zpsdleuhbb5.jpg

Look at the distance between the normal buttons and the function buttons, isn't more comfortable to have them close like in the alpha? And what's the point of all that unused space at the left of the stick or the one at the right of the buttons for example? Arcade Sticks are usually almost empty inside, in fact you can put things inside the mortal kombat arcade stick

Many prefer a larger heavier arcade stick. Especially if you're going to be playing with it on your lap. Also, extra space on the play area of the controller helps accommodate additional grip/play styles.

Top Bottom