• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden NFL '16 |OT| It's Madden Season

Doesn't sound right. I'll have to time it when I get home because I usually go from stand by so I'm in the menus already.

Each card is given a value like "Bronze" "Gold" "Diamond" etc, or whatever, I don't know what the actual colors are. FOr instance, I have a bronze Calvin Johnson card, where Calvin is 81 overall. A diamond Calvin Johnson card he'd probably be something like 97 overall. I think the idea is that the Bronze card is when CJ was a rookie, so he's not the freak that he became, and the diamond card is the 2013 season where he completely tore it up.

I don't really get much of MUT though.

I've yet to get one of the flashy, special looking cards. Is there a numerical rarity guide out there?

aajohnny

Has anybody else been having problems trying to trade with the CPU on offline Franchise? Like nobody has room on their roster or they aren't interested, it almost seems like it's broken because a certain team was asking to trade for a certain player and I denied it, I went back to the trade menu and apparently they aren't interested in the player?

Has anybody else been having problems trying to trade with the CPU on offline Franchise? Like nobody has room on their roster or they aren't interested, it almost seems like it's broken because a certain team was asking to trade for a certain player and I denied it, I went back to the trade menu and apparently they aren't interested in the player?

Had you done a lot of trading on Madden '15? Wondering how it compares to that. Madden '15 was pretty difficult to trade unless you made the right deal, which was always a packaging of picks and talent for picks and talent and as long as the salary cap was good for the CPU.

I was actually fine with it before on all madden but I mostly play against players from the league who aren't throwing bombs every play. It's been fine since the tuning update too
When we play next I'm going to streak with Larry Fitzgerald every play and lob aggressive cheese the fuck out of you

Afrikan

Week 1 roster update is due Friday, FYI, for all those holding off on starting your franchises.

I was hoping they would change it to the middle of the week this year... I mean by the time you get the new roster update, Sunday comes around and different opinions come about.

or worse, if someone does bad on Sunday...but then does well on Thursday...that Thursday performance doesn't come into play for that Friday roster update. And if there is a setback after that next Sunday performance, then that is 2 weeks in a row of ratings that were lowered.

aren't there other sports games that update the rosters and ratings daily?

Madden Roster/rating updates should release on Tuesday afternoons... or Wednesday mornings, if it's *soooooo hard* to do.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Daximuss

I'm tempted to buy this for the Xbox One, but I'm concerned about the freezing issue. Has this been addressed with a recent patch?

I was hoping they would change it to the middle of the week this year... I mean by the time you get the new roster update, Sunday comes around and different opinions come about.

or worse, if someone does bad on Sunday...but then does well on Thursday...that Thursday performance doesn't come into play for that Friday roster update. And if there is a setback after that next Sunday performance, then that is 2 weeks in a row of ratings that were lowered.

aren't there other sports games that update the rosters and ratings daily?

Madden Roster/rating updates should release on Tuesday afternoons... or Wednesday mornings, if it's *soooooo hard* to do.
icon_rolleyes.gif

I think they normally release on Tuesdays after the weekend's games. The week 1 roster comes (usually) the Friday before the season because there are cuts, trades, and signings basically right up until Wednesday of this week.

Other games do daily roster updates (NBA Live, NHL, and 2K have been doing it for for some time now) but those are also daily sports. Football, generally, is a weekly sport, so updating once a week seems fine to me.

I'm tempted to buy this for the Xbox One, but I'm concerned about the freezing issue. Has this been addressed with a recent patch?

I haven't noticed any unusual freezing issues on Xbox One, although here are three notes in this patch:

Addressed a crash that could occur when using multiple controllers
Addressed a crash that could occur when exiting a game and the background video would continue to loop
Addressed general bugs and stability issues

The stuttering/poor performance issues on Xbox One that were reported early on can be solved by clearing your Xbox One cache after downloading the game. There's instructions in the OP and a complete walkthrough on clearing your cache here. Once I did that, the game ran basically the same as Madden 15 on X1, which was pretty good.

aajohnny

Had you done a lot of trading on Madden '15? Wondering how it compares to that. Madden '15 was pretty difficult to trade unless you made the right deal, which was always a packaging of picks and talent for picks and talent and as long as the salary cap was good for the CPU.

I didn't do a ton but it seemed more possible to trade players.

Afrikan

I think they normally release on Tuesdays after the weekend's games. The week 1 roster comes (usually) the Friday before the season because there are cuts, trades, and signings basically right up until Wednesday of this week.

Other games do daily roster updates (NBA Live, NHL, and 2K have been doing it for for some time now) but those are also daily sports. Football, generally, is a weekly sport, so updating once a week seems fine to me.

trust me I wish that were the case... but it has been Fridays around noon for a while now.

worse is when there is a holiday that falls toward the end of the week... then we wouldn't get a roster update for 2 weeks.

I was hoping it might be different this year because Donnie Moore wasn't there anymore, but I guess same lazy as shit. Yup I consider it lazy.... or I should consider it greedy because for the past few years they have worked with websites like ESPN to get readers "involved" (clicks) with anticipation about which players will get increased ratings... with the sites getting to reveal a player or two and what their rating increased to a few days before Friday.

all at the expense of us regular consumers who just want the rosters updated...so we can enjoy it for that week.

jmizzal

Yea that was weird in mine, I was trying to trade an 80 rated WR and every team in the NFL had a red bar not interested, but a team did give me a 5th round pick for him.

Week 1 roster update is due Friday, FYI, for all those holding off on starting your franchises.

I was tired of waiting and just used MLG roster, its a shame how slow EA is

GravyButt

Why is mut so addictive?! Im a total rookie to it. Best way to earn coins if I mostly play offline or with friends?

I suck too hard to play online. Like really suck. I can barely stop Pro on defense. So if anyone has tips for the best way to stop the pass ill take it. For example the cowboys on pro just literally were wide open every play wether zone or man coverage. Even tried the coaches suggestions (that worth it?) and it didn't help. Any defensive tips I WILL TAKE!! Thanks!!

Why is mut so addictive?! Im a total rookie to it. Best way to earn coins if I mostly play offline or with friends?

I suck too hard to play online. Like really suck. I can barely stop Pro on defense. So if anyone has tips for the best way to stop the pass ill take it. For example the cowboys on pro just literally were wide open every play wether zone or man coverage. Even tried the coaches suggestions (that worth it?) and it didn't help. Any defensive tips I WILL TAKE!! Thanks!!

Best way to earn coins is through the solos, gauntlet, and weekly. If you can get through the style solos, then you get some pretty good cards in the process for that style and after finishing it all you get elite 92 romo and glover quin. You can sell them if you want unlike some of the cards you get off solos. Other than that, you gotta work the auction house. It's a bit of a pain because of the work needed to snipe but it's worth it in the end.

As for defense, it's all about you, your personnel, and what the cpu calls. 2 WR sets, you can stick with you base defense. 3 WR or more sets then look to go nickel, dime, and so on. If you have slow CBs, then zone might be best but make sure their zone defense ratings are up to it. cover 3 is decent. Learn how to use your safety or LB too so that you can cut off at least one route somewhere and take away that option for the offense. It's all practice. I was terrible at defense but once I learned what set to use and when then I saw some improvement in my defense. After that, it's all about how you effectively use your safety or lb.

Oh and also, it's important to make adjustments on defense presnap. Move your d line, edge rush them or crash middle, etc. learn those situations. Same as your LB. blitz them or make them drop back for zone. QB spy one of them. If you QB spy, you can click down on the right joystick to make them rush the QB. Getting beat on the flats? Zone your DE into a flat zone. Adjustments are key!

Aroll

This really makes me wonder how many people really spent a lot of time in offline franchise in 15. I say this because, trading was an absolute joke. Got JJ Watt for 3 FA 72 overall WRs. Trading was literally broken. You could go grab any FA WR or CB down to like, a 68, and even if hte team didn't want them - you could put 3 of them in a trade and get nearly every single player in the game. You could turn around the worst team in the league and make them the best before the first preseason game without any real effort.

ALways thought this was common knowledge since I found out about it on the internet.

In 16, they took that away entirely, so trades are back to being fairly difficult - aka - you have to really wow the other team in most trades to get the player you want. I find myself singing some FA's in the offseason knowing I am packaging them in trades for the guy I really want.

But yeah, it's hard, and it probably should be. How often do you really see a blockbuster trade made?

GravyButt

Alright thanks ill try to use those tips tomorrow. Never seem to have time to adjust presnap though. Seems like they snap the ball almost immediately.

Do you guys ever use coach suggestions or no? Like my mut defense is 4-3 based so im presuming my coach suggestions should be those but sometimes I question it. Yet again im more of a hockey buff and dont know nearly as much about football. I have the offense down fine position/play wise. But really dont know squat about play calling at all for D or what schemes to run.

For example ill start my franchise soon with the Dolphins. What would your all suggestions be for my best defensive play calls to stop the pass? Im decent at stopping the run, its the pass I have issues with. Even though those tips were posted im not sure I fully follow haha.

Best way to earn coins is through the solos, gauntlet, and weekly. If you can get through the style solos, then you get some pretty good cards in the process for that style and after finishing it all you get elite 92 romo and glover quin. You can sell them if you want unlike some of the cards you get off solos. Other than that, you gotta work the auction house. It's a bit of a pain because of the work needed to snipe but it's worth it in the end.

As for defense, it's all about you, your personnel, and what the cpu calls. 2 WR sets, you can stick with you base defense. 3 WR or more sets then look to go nickel, dime, and so on. If you have slow CBs, then zone might be best but make sure their zone defense ratings are up to it. cover 3 is decent. Learn how to use your safety or LB too so that you can cut off at least one route somewhere and take away that option for the offense. It's all practice. I was terrible at defense but once I learned what set to use and when then I saw some improvement in my defense. After that, it's all about how you effectively use your safety or lb.

Oh and also, it's important to make adjustments on defense presnap. Move your d line, edge rush them or crash middle, etc. learn those situations. Same as your LB. blitz them or make them drop back for zone. QB spy one of them. If you QB spy, you can click down on the right joystick to make them rush the QB. Getting beat on the flats? Zone your DE into a flat zone. Adjustments are key!

See, I'm always playing the de or lb purely as a pass rusher unless the ball goes up in the air and then I switch to a dB to try to pick/hit. This is helpful.

See, I'm always playing the de or lb purely as a pass rusher unless the ball goes up in the air and then I switch to a dB to try to pick/hit. This is helpful.

Me too. I use to use a de until I started playing online games. Users tend to abuse the AI online, especially when you're playing zone. If they see you're playing on the line, then they'll throw right over you.

Alright thanks ill try to use those tips tomorrow. Never seem to have time to adjust presnap though. Seems like they snap the ball almost immediately.

For example ill start my franchise soon with the Dolphins. What would your all suggestions be for my best defensive play calls to stop the pass? Im decent at stopping the run, its the pass I have issues with. Even though those tips were posted im not sure I fully follow haha.

I'll try my best to explain. In the playbook, usually you'll have your base defense (4-3) which is four linemen and three linebackers. The remaining players would be two safeties and two CBs. Usually, using your base defense is best when the offense lines up with less than or equal to two WRs. That matters because you don't want your opponent to abuse the mismatches on a passing play because you don't have enough CBs to cover the WRs. With 4-3, you have two CBs matching against two WRs and your linebackers matching up against probably the TE or RB. This is usually ok as RBs don't run long routes and TE are usually slow so there's not that much of a mismatch.

You can see how many WRs are going to be on the field when you wait for your opponent to finish picking their play. It'll say X RBs X TEs X WR.

Now when they start adding more WRs into the mix, you want to match the amount of CBs on the field, generally speaking. To do that, you have a Nickel package. nickel puts 3 CBs on the field. 4 WRs? Go Dime. Dime puts 4. All of this isn't exactly necessary but it essential to even the playing field as far as AI goes. You don't want your slow linebacker guarding a speedy 3rd receiver and then you get beat deep because of that. Play packages are important in these cases.

As far as stoping the pass, it really does take practice. To fully understand defense, there's probably two or three mechanics you need to get familiar with. Coverages, routes, and your ability as a user. There's a whole bunch of other stuff too but I'm already making this post extra long lol. You'll understand more as you play but anyway,

To put it simply, there are two types of defenses you can deploy. Man defense and zone defense. Man defense is just a simple one on one matchup. Only one person is responsible defensively for their assignment. With man defense, match ups play a huge role because you want the match ups to be as even as possible or in your favor. In a zone defense, a player is responsible for a section of the field. If an offensive player enters their zone, then the defensive player will attempt to guard that person until they leave that zone. Zone defense can get abused when the offense sends more than one person into a zone and then the cpu AI gets all wonky and confused. And that's why we user a safety or linebacker to cover the cpu AI.

That covers coverages, so now there are routes. Routes are what make a passing play work. First you have to realize this, certain routes beat man coverage and certain concepts beat zone defense. Concepts are a combination of routes that are used to pull defenders away from zone coverage. In man coverage, routes with cuts in them beat man coverage so stuff like slants and in routes will usually work most of the time. Match ups make it a little better to defend but aren't the most reliable. So to counter these routes, deploy a zone defense so that you'll have defenders ready to help out if a teammate gets beat. However, an offense can counter a zone by running concepts. Concepts flood a zone with players to guarantee that a receiver gets open because there just aren't enough people in a zone to defend him properly. Let's say you run a zone defense and the offense plays a 3 WR bunch set on the right side of the field. Normally, you would probably have two people to defend that side of the field and one or two to defend the middle and the right side depending on if a receiver comes into their zone. Ina 3 WR bunch set, a player can make two of the WR draw the two defenders to the middle of the field which will give the 3rd receiver to get a favorable matchup against someone or even open on the right side of the field. Generally speaking, this can't be avoided (happens in real life) but you can make life a little easier by relying on your own skills rather than the cpu.

With that said, you kinda have to guess what the opposing players play call is. 2 WR usually mean they'll be running some kind of slant or in/out route so man defense would be the right call. Concepts usually can't be used in two WR sets. In 3 or more WRs is when it gets tricky. The concepts aren't as deadly so you can negate that by taking away a route by usering a safety or linebacker. By the way, only use the safety or linebacker if they're in a zone assignment or you'll be leaving that guy open.

So after everything, in theory, it's kinda hard to stop the pass. Someone is going to be open somewhere. But you can make life easier on you by sending some pressure their way with a zone blitz or man blitz to give the QB less time to throw the ball which in turn gives receivers less time to get open.

TL;DR. Play man defense with 2 WR sets. Play Zone with 3+. Get comfortable with playing as a safety or linebacker.

There's just way too many concepts on defense and offense to explain further and I'm not the best either, typing anyway. There are a couple of videos on YouTube to help but most of it is pretty advanced because it's a bit hard to understand why something works the way it does. But they help.

GravyButt

Actually as schocking as this sounds I understood that fully. You explained that very very well. Kudos to you on that one sir! Thanks!

GravyButt

Just played my first mut season game. Didn't do to bad actually until the guy started spamming his elite elway to his elite beckham card deep aggressive every play. My 70+ rated gold players couldn't stop no matter what. Kind of odd that my team is mostly all 70's some 80's and im playing teams of elites. Why is that? Doesn't seem fair at all.

Oh and it was odd how I lagged only on offense but never defense. Strange. Was still proud of myself that I didn't rage quit with his cheese.

Just played my first mut season game. Didn't do to bad actually until the guy started spamming his elite elway to his elite beckham card deep aggressive every play. My 70+ rated gold players couldn't stop no matter what. Kind of odd that my team is mostly all 70's some 80's and im playing teams of elites. Why is that? Doesn't seem fair at all.

Oh and it was odd how I lagged only on offense but never defense. Strange. Was still proud of myself that I didn't rage quit with his cheese.

There are guys that purposely mess with you that'll make it lag when you're on offense. The stuff people will do just to get a win I tell you...

The Madden Twitter account was advertising a new player likeness download. It then went on to state to search for it in each respective console's store. I didn't see it, but did I overlook it or do the search before it actually went live?

GravyButt

The Madden Twitter account was advertising a new player likeness download. It then went on to state to search for it in each respective console's store. I didn't see it, but did I overlook it or do the search before it actually went live?
It downloaded one automatically for me yesterday when I booted the game

Do it through the PS store online. I couldn't find it on the console and searched the PS store online and downloaded it that way.

It's there. If you load the game up it will ask if you want to download it. 600 and some odd mb if I'm remembering correctly.

I pulled the trigger on the Amazon deal yesterday mostly based on GAF's positive impressions of Madden 16. I hope I'm not disappointed this year. I wasn't exactly happy with Madden 25....

I pulled the trigger on the Amazon deal yesterday mostly based on GAF's positive impressions of Madden 16. I hope I'm not disappointed this year. I wasn't exactly happy with Madden 25....

Depends on what aspect of the game you like most. MUT is okay but not my cup of tea. Draft Champions is a fun new gimic added this year. Connected Franchise is what it is and looks to be an improvement from last years game. Online ranked matches well..... you know what to expect there.

Afrikan

New roster won't be out till tonight according to Rex Dickson

lol

Rex Dickson
‏@RexDEAFootball

The week one roster update is still scheduled for today. We should have it up by this evening once we have final approval from QA.

I swear this better not be the new trend... they just don't give a fuck out there, because hey fuck you we have the license.

Top Bottom