• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden NFL '16 |OT| It's Madden Season

lol

I swear this better not be the new trend... they just don't give a fuck out there, because hey fuck you we have the license.

LOL!!!! Ain't that the truth... Was watching someone's twitch stream of 2K the other day and was like Oh Shit. Why can't Madden have animations/commentary like that. EA gonna cling to that license like they're life depended on it because no way they make money if 2K is allowed to make another football title.

watdaeff4

So I've noticed this since the update:

Now after the first play of every drive when I'm on defense, I'm not hitting the timeout button, but I'm "calling" a timeout. Both first and second halves.

Also every once in awhile (about once a game) it seems a audible is being called automatically.

Maybe I'm crazy but I've been experiencing this.

Been happening to anyone else?

EDIT: one other glitch I noticed is that the last game I played one of my team's weekly goals was to score 75 redzone touchdowns

Depends on what aspect of the game you like most. MUT is okay but not my cup of tea. Draft Champions is a fun new gimic added this year. Connected Franchise is what it is and looks to be an improvement from last years game. Online ranked matches well..... you know what to expect there.

I don't have a PSN+ account so it'd be just offline franchise play...Draft Champions sounds fun though. I'm reading the OS Madden 16 review and they were complaining about achievement goals during the game (like _______ must catch 3 consecutive balls) and how they drastically improve ratings when completed. How true is that? Can you just ignore them?

I don't have a PSN+ account so it'd be just offline franchise play...Draft Champions sounds fun though. I'm reading the OS Madden 16 review and they were complaining about achievement goals during the game (like _______ must catch 3 consecutive balls) and how they drastically improve ratings when completed. How true is that? Can you just ignore them?

can't comment on that because I haven't tried to complete any achievement goals. I'll give it a go this weekend.

GravyButt

How the hell am I going to do these all pro legend challenges wow. My guys can't even hold onto a ball! Im assuming I should start automatically pressing A(xb1)? Shockingly im having more luck on D on all pro than I am on offense! I just want horn and finneran cuz they expire soon!!

Afrikan

Roster update is up. \o/

Aldon Smith is on the Raiders.. :/

but seriously I'm happy for him and the Raiders. I already had to face someone using the Raiders throwing bombs to Cooper all game....tough team to face if someone knows how to use them...and now they have Mack + Aldon. >_<

slapnuts

Pretty damn good effort this year for Tiburon. This is the first time i've had "fun" playing a NFL video game since that old juggernaut 2k5. Really...M16 is finally fun.

While far from legendary...Madden 16 has far more positives going for it than any previous year imho and that is saying a lot. It is amazing how the little stuff mean so much...just the new tackling alone has made a lot more fun for the game. Now they just need to go all out with more colored commentary and maybe finally add a real half time show where we can see highlights of other games currently going on around the league...Really they gotta get this in, i remember how it never got old watching 2k5's half time highlights..i mean taking that 3 minute break at half time was actually enjoying watching highlights of other current games.

They really do have a solid foundation now...lets hope they continue this trend and start touching on some of the AI issues that have yet to be resolved and revamp some of these dated animations that still pop up here and there during gameplay but overall it's a very very nice improvement in one year.

When you complete an achievement goal, your players gain confidence over the course of the game. As confidence goes up, their ratings go up. It was kind of ok broken before the patch because you could somehow go over 100 confidence and I had a team full of "90+" players playing lol. The patch says it's fixed but haven't looked at it really.

Bread

Banned

Now after the first play of every drive when I'm on defense, I'm not hitting the timeout button, but I'm "calling" a timeout. Both first and second halves.

Also every once in awhile (about once a game) it seems a audible is being called automatically.

EDIT: one other glitch I noticed is that the last game I played one of my team's weekly goals was to score 75 redzone touchdowns
you got a kinect?

Are you on Xbox one? Do you have the kinect things enable? If so, turn those off in the settings. I never had a problem with it but one of my friends either comically always call audibles when we were playing online or timeouts

watdaeff4

I do have Kinect. Didn't realize I was even saying anything. Played some this morning and didn't have any issues, I will keep an eye on that thanks guys.

Still wondering about the 75 touchdown weekly goal though lol. Just happened one game though.

I do have Kinect. Didn't realize I was even saying anything. Played some this morning and didn't have any issues, I will keep an eye on that thanks guys.

Still wondering about the 75 touchdown weekly goal though lol. Just happened one game though.

Heard a rumor that there would be updated goals based on real-life games... EA Probably watched the Steeler's defense on Thursday and thought that 75 touchdowns in a game wasn't unrealistic.

Har har.

But can't make heads or tails of that... I was thinking maybe it was a season goal for the coach or something, but the NFL Record for touchdowns in a season is 75 (Patriots, 2007), so having that as any coach's season goal would be pretty ridiculous. Maybe a career milestone goal...?

GravyButt

Are the legends packs worth the purchase price? I have enough sitting in my xbox wallet to buy one at a discount with ea access so I was wondering what you normally get with them. Is it an elite legend or like a gold legend?

Also, anyone having issues after the patch where your receivers just drop the ball constantly now? Im playing mut btw. Maybe its because I have an elite Andrew Luck and im throwing bullet passes to gold WR's? But they are dropping after barely any contact and sometimes wide open too! Im not hitting the aggressive catch button either. Whats the correct button to press to make sure they make the catch when getting hit, I forget, is it X or A? My memory sucks hard. Just seems like all of a sudden I go from catching everything to not catching anything. Its either from the patch or upgrading to Luck from a gold Romo. One of the two haha.

Anyone know why certain players are so damn expensive in the auction house? Demetrius Mccray is rated a 74 and is going for 68,500 coins.

People need those players to complete sets so others see that and buy up the cards then raise the price. EA is trying to fix it by setting price limits on cards.

I haven't gotten to play Madden 16 in about two weeks (ever since MGSV came out), but does the player likeness update make a dramatic difference?

Yaari

I really like Draft Champions but I wish I was better at the game. I always lose my second game, and the few times I win it, I won't get through the third. That's offline, so I won't even try online until I get better.

Hopefully I'll get a good player in MUT soon. These players given as rewards are even out of my reach right now. I don't know what style suits me best either.

I thought about making a separate thread for this but decided not to. After a handful of hours playing yesterday, this is the first time in many many many years where my first impressions of Madden has been super positive. Offense feels real good this year (still trying to get a hang of the different types of passes but it's getting there). More importantly though, I want to highlight something that I didn't really pay attention to in the past, which is the skills trainer. I'm sure that it's existed in some type of iteration in former Madden titles but I feel like the one they put out this year might be the most educational version. Most notably, the one where it teaches you to recognize defense and how to attack it via run or pass. Some examples, in the running one, they teach you how to setup a trap block/give you guidance on which directions to run depending on the line. I'm sure we've always run away from an unbalanced defensive line, but the counting blockers on each side is a nice way to teach the concept. For passing, showing each different type of coverage and highlighting the actual areas to attack is tremendously helpful. This just might be the one Madden that I recommend people curious about the series or even football in general to get into.

I thought about making a separate thread for this but decided not to. After a handful of hours playing yesterday, this is the first time in many many many years where my first impressions of Madden has been super positive. Offense feels real good this year (still trying to get a hang of the different types of passes but it's getting there). More importantly though, I want to highlight something that I didn't really pay attention to in the past, which is the skills trainer. I'm sure that it's existed in some type of iteration in former Madden titles but I feel like the one they put out this year might be the most educational version. Most notably, the one where it teaches you to recognize defense and how to attack it via run or pass. Some examples, in the running one, they teach you how to setup a trap block/give you guidance on which directions to run depending on the line. I'm sure we've always run away from an unbalanced defensive line, but the counting blockers on each side is a nice way to teach the concept. For passing, showing each different type of coverage and highlighting the actual areas to attack is tremendously helpful. This just might be the one Madden that I recommend people curious about the series or even football in general to get into.

i agree, as a veteran of the series I found the skills trainer to be helpful last year, and this year's is even better. They really give you a lot of good knowledge for identifying coverages and areas to throw to beat them. The running concepts, specifically those that teach you to read the DT's position to properly flip the run for traps and counters is good stuff.

The passing concepts have been the most useful to me. Seeing and understanding these has opened up my usage of the playbooks way beyond what I've used in the past. I now rely on the progressions in most of those concepts to get me yards rather than my old habits, some of which I was reading bad keys.

The drills associated with some of the tutorials are kind of sketchy tho, as they call some really bad passing plays that dont exploit the gaps in the coverages and/or don't reinforce what you were just taught properly in some cases.

I still have an issue with post routes and deep in routes. I'm always hesitant to call plays where that's the primary route to throw to. I've never been comfortable throwing those unless they were completely wide open. What type of throw and when should I be looking to pass to those receivers?

I still have an issue with post routes and deep in routes. I'm always hesitant to call plays where that's the primary route to throw to. I've never been comfortable throwing those unless they were completely wide open. What type of throw and when should I be looking to pass to those receivers?

I only throw post routes deep with loft while leading the receiver. Seems like when I try to throw bullet passes even on the break it leads to picks or pass break ups more often than not.

For deep ins, I throw those as hard as possible leading the receiver in. Those are easy reads with some reps, just watch that LB on that side, by the time the receiver is about to break in you can tell whether you will be able to lead the receiver inside him. The skills trainer stuff for this route is good. Sometimes if im late ill lead the receiver back the other way if he crosses the middle of the field. There are situations where the touch pass works for deep ins as well.

Did a fantasy draft for my franchise, turns out the Rams pretty much have been decimated in the Pre-Season by injuries.

YGYDVH0.png

So many ACLs

I'm conditioned to never throw deep streaks in Madden-engine games becuase for the last 15 years, those routes favored the defense. M16 is the first Madden in ages where they are possible.

I'd look for it in the following circumstances:
  • Bump and run coverage (e.g., the CBs are lined up at the LOS across from the WR). This is likely to be man coverage, not every time, but probably.
  • If there's only 1 deep safety.

If these two things are fulfilled, look for the deep route for your #1 WR especially if they have a mismatch against the CB. If it's a tall WR or a guy who has good leaping, hold LB (L1) and tap the receiver button. This will throw a loft pass. Then, hold Y for the receiver which will do the aggressive catch. It's most likely going to be either caught or safely incomplete, you do run some interception risk but not much... This year's madden, elite WRs will win those battles over the CB.

Now, if those things aren't fulfilled think about your second and third read or quitting the play throwing it away. If you have safety help (e.g., a cover 2), only make the pass if it's an elite WR who is call and can leap (Julio, Dez, Demarius Thomas, Calvin Johnson, Gronk, etc).

Are the legends packs worth the purchase price? I have enough sitting in my xbox wallet to buy one at a discount with ea access so I was wondering what you normally get with them. Is it an elite legend or like a gold legend?

Also, anyone having issues after the patch where your receivers just drop the ball constantly now? Im playing mut btw. Maybe its because I have an elite Andrew Luck and im throwing bullet passes to gold WR's? But they are dropping after barely any contact and sometimes wide open too! Im not hitting the aggressive catch button either. Whats the correct button to press to make sure they make the catch when getting hit, I forget, is it X or A? My memory sucks hard. Just seems like all of a sudden I go from catching everything to not catching anything. Its either from the patch or upgrading to Luck from a gold Romo. One of the two haha.

Correct button for Xbox would be A for possession catch. Madden is weird, so I can't really explain why your WR are dropping balls.

As for spending money, personally, it's not worth it. Real money for these types of games is not worth it at all because there isn't any "real" gains from investing in these types of games because you can buy a specific card you want through a bit of grinding for coins. And then the return isn't even guaranteed.

Honestly, I haven't spent a single dime on MUT and I have an 86 overall team. I finished the style and journey solos, sold my 92 overall Romo, sold or kept whatever cards I felt like I needed for my team, spent my coins on finishing the Brian Finneran set (he's a monster), and I still have the gauntlet solos left which is about 10 or so packs up for grabs.

At first, I was tempted to use real money but I stuck with the solos and now I feel like I'm at an ok position to stay on the no money spent team.

But I will say that sometimes the chance to get a really rare card does happen and you could sale that card for a bunch of coins and use that to fill your team up. It's your money though. I don't think they're worth the money and the disappointment when you spend like 30$ for a pack of cards that aren't even good. Some Gold cards are better than elite cards anyway.

What's the consensus on Madden this year. I'm a casual nfl fan and after beating Phantom Pain I want something else to play. I think the last Madden I played was 14 and didn't like it.

Spinluck

What's the consensus on Madden this year. I'm a casual nfl fan and after beating Phantom Pain I want something else to play. I think the last Madden I played was 14 and didn't like it.

Deep ball is OP as long as there's a height mismatch.

lol aggressive catch

One thing I cant get over is the lack of depth in franchise mode.If I could just get franchise mode from the later PS2 days combined with this gameplay it would be near 2K tier.

I really need to figure out how play better coverage with my secondary.

It's really abysmal how bad they are doing.

Every play seems to be a 5 yard cushion every single time, even if I do bump and run with help over top.

mrpookles

Since they nerfed the aggressive catch, I'm loving this game. Easily the best Madden I've played and it's amazingly been preventing me from playing MGSV.

I still wish EA put more focus on the little things, but the gameplay is great.

Yaari

So who else is going for the slow-ass grind and doing all the solo challenges and not spending a dime in MUT?

I was, but I spend 5$ over the weekend. Nothing to show for it though, lol.

I'm doing Draft Champions on Solo now. I'm not good enough for H2H yet. When I get 8 more wins I can get my first 2 Elites. That's cool.

I was, but I spend 5$ over the weekend. Nothing to show for it though, lol.

I'm doing Draft Champions on Solo now. I'm not good enough for H2H yet. When I get 8 more wins I can get my first 2 Elites. That's cool.

Yeah, my fear is dishing out like 20 bucks for that ultimate pack or a bundle or something and getting like one shitty elite from it. Just doing Solo Challenges gets you multiple elites. Yes, you can't trade or sell them, but elites none the less. Plus, all the coins you earn you can buy a couple elites of your choice. I'm currently saving for Joe Haden. xD

There's plenty of ways to cheese the cheesing CPU too to make the process go quicker, so I don't feel too bad. ;p

Yaari

Yeah I should save coins but I just open packs and waste them. I keep thinking I will get lucky someday but I won't.

Apparently there is a Doritos promotion where you can get an Elite player. Obviously that is not available in my country. Do these still sell over there? I saw it on eBay but I'm not paying 12$ for it.

http://doritosmadden16.com/

Enlighten me please. Ive been getting cheesed hard by the cpu lately

Saints Playbook, Strong Close, Quick Toss. Start on a far hash mark and run to the side of the field with more space. Use with Chew Clock for best results.

Find a cheap RB with fast acceleration and speed, someone like Archer from the Steelers, or McKinnon from the Vikings. Works like a charm.

On defense, you can use Punt Block Man in passing situations, move your PR to whichever side there is no RB in the backfield and rush the QB for the easy sack. If you're too late they'll pick you apart though.

Yaari

Quick Toss is the best! I gotta look into your Punt Block Man thing though, not really familiar with that one. I have not used it before.

Yeah I went through all the solos with quick toss. As long as you have the strong close formation, you'll have quick toss. It's OP.

And for punt block man, to make it a little bit easier on your cpu, get fast corners so they don't get beat as much. Speed and man coverage are priorities. Then for the punt returner, someone fast too. Then you take the returner and line him up to the left or right of your line depending on what gives him the clearest path to the QB. Then you just run and smack the QB. Works most of the time.

Yaari

Yeah I went through all the solos with quick toss. As long as you have the strong close formation, you'll have quick toss. It's OP.

And for punt block man, to make it a little bit easier on your cpu, get fast corners so they don't get beat as much. Speed and man coverage are priorities. Then for the punt returner, someone fast too. Then you take the returner and line him up to the left or right of your line depending on what gives him the clearest path to the QB. Then you just run and smack the QB. Works most of the time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MaddenUltimateTeam/comments/3jngi3/how_to_beat_every_solo/
Found that for it. A video too.

Now I understand it. I never even saw that play before.

I hope I can finish it before it gets patched. I actually havent done a single solo yet, was doing other stuff. Will probably take a while to get through all of that haha.

GravyButt

Saints Playbook, Strong Close, Quick Toss. Start on a far hash mark and run to the side of the field with more space. Use with Chew Clock for best results.

Find a cheap RB with fast acceleration and speed, someone like Archer from the Steelers, or McKinnon from the Vikings. Works like a charm.

On defense, you can use Punt Block Man in passing situations, move your PR to whichever side there is no RB in the backfield and rush the QB for the easy sack. If you're too late they'll pick you apart though.

Ahh interesting thanks. I have 0 issues playing franchise but in mut (have a decent team) I cant do shit, even on pro. Its a joke. Really frustrating and annoying me now.

hbkdx12

For reasons that i can't exactly put my finger on, i'm finding myself gravitating towards picking this up. How is it for Madden noobs?

I haven't played madden since like 03 or something like that. I'd primarily be interested in the career mode. I've watched a few vids and it seems like there's a lot going on both on the field and in the game itself.

Is it a worthy purchase if i'm only interested in the career mode and the occasional exhibition game?

Top Bottom