• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden NFL '16 |OT| It's Madden Season

x Misogi

Went through and did all of the Journey challs. I'm not sure about any other ones, but you get at least 4 (5 including 90 OVR Jameis) elite players through the entire thing, not to mention a bunch of packs.

I actually pulled a Le'Veon Bell on my first Elite Journey pack

For reasons that i can't exactly put my finger on, i'm finding myself gravitating towards picking this up. How is it for Madden noobs?

I haven't played madden since like 03 or something like that. I'd primarily be interested in the career mode. I've watched a few vids and it seems like there's a lot going on both on the field and in the game itself.

Is it a worthy purchase if i'm only interested in the career mode and the occasional exhibition game?

Yep definitely! I wouldn't say it's too intimidating at all, and there's a great Skills trainer that gets you re-acclimated. Madden 03 was the first ever Madden I bought too :)

Went through and did all of the Journey challs. I'm not sure about any other ones, but you get at least 4 (5 including 90 OVR Jameis) elite players through the entire thing, not to mention a bunch of packs.

I actually pulled a Le'Veon Bell on my first Elite Journey pack

You get lots of great packs in the Gauntlet challenges too. Hoping I don't get another high RB, need to improve my corners and pass rush. xD

For reasons that i can't exactly put my finger on, i'm finding myself gravitating towards picking this up. How is it for Madden noobs?

I haven't played madden since like 03 or something like that. I'd primarily be interested in the career mode. I've watched a few vids and it seems like there's a lot going on both on the field and in the game itself.

Is it a worthy purchase if i'm only interested in the career mode and the occasional exhibition game?

Franchise feels barebones but the actual gameplay is pretty impressive this year. I made a post about this a couple of days ago.. Hope it helps.

A couple of letdowns thus far
- playcalling- cycling through the menu is really laggy. Makes playcalling kind of an annoyance.
- I didn't know that Draft Champions requires a PS+ account. I thought that you could play this only against CPU?

I thought about making a separate thread for this but decided not to. After a handful of hours playing yesterday, this is the first time in many many many years where my first impressions of Madden has been super positive. Offense feels real good this year (still trying to get a hang of the different types of passes but it's getting there). More importantly though, I want to highlight something that I didn't really pay attention to in the past, which is the skills trainer. I'm sure that it's existed in some type of iteration in former Madden titles but I feel like the one they put out this year might be the most educational version. Most notably, the one where it teaches you to recognize defense and how to attack it via run or pass. Some examples, in the running one, they teach you how to setup a trap block/give you guidance on which directions to run depending on the line. I'm sure we've always run away from an unbalanced defensive line, but the counting blockers on each side is a nice way to teach the concept. For passing, showing each different type of coverage and highlighting the actual areas to attack is tremendously helpful. This just might be the one Madden that I recommend people curious about the series or even football in general to get into.

- I didn't know that Draft Champions requires a PS+ account. I thought that you could play this only against CPU?

Yeah, this is probably the worst oversight. Nowhere before did I see Xbox Live/PS+ was needed for Draft Champions until you try, so my Uncle was disappointed.

You can play against the CPU for MUT Elites, or Head to Head. Faster against CPU, only 3 games to win each time rather than 4, and less BS to go through.

B4s5C

I gotta say, I played the game on Xbox One and PS4 and the Xbox One version is definitely better with the rumble triggers. I started to depend on them which makes me slower to react to the snap on PS4.

hbkdx12

Yep definitely! I wouldn't say it's too intimidating at all, and there's a great Skills trainer that gets you re-acclimated. Madden 03 was the first ever Madden I bought too :)

You get lots of great packs in the Gauntlet challenges too. Hoping I don't get another high RB, need to improve my corners and pass rush. xD

Franchise feels barebones but the actual gameplay is pretty impressive this year. I made a post about this a couple of days ago.. Hope it helps.

- playcalling- cycling through the menu is really laggy. Makes playcalling kind of an annoyance.

Awesome. Thanks guys for the input :)

x Misogi

Yeah, I won two Draft Masters and in that pack i had gotten Poe and Forte, so I didn't need another HB but the idea of a dual HB attack + style challenges made me hold on to him.

I think right now I just need Elites at OL,WR, and FS. My front 7 is something like:
LE: Calais Campbell
DT: Dontari Poe (Loyalty Raji at backup)
RE: Charles Johnson
ROLB: Brian Orakpo
MLB: Lawrence Timmons
MLB2: Mychal Kendricks (this dude is a beast)
LOLB: Jamie Collins

I might try to make that Captain Kendricks, 90 speed at MLB seems unfair

Almost always automatic

It's actually not that bad since the tuning patch: Madden 16 Tuning Update Analysis .

You should have grabbed it with the recent Amazon sale, it was only $40. If you are a casual fan that doesn't play often you should pick it up when the price is right. They have great tutorials that will get you up to speed on the latest gameplay features.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
Apparently the re sign glitch is still a thing? Started owner mode and couldn't re sign players even though I gave them their desired contract. They would only accept if I gave them unrealistic amounts of money. Guess the game is still a mess after the update :/

Yaari

That Punt Block Man thing is unbelievable lame haha. I had issues defending but after I started doing that.. wow.

I hope it sticks around until I get my solos done.

That Punt Block Man thing is unbelievable lame haha. I had issues defending but after I started doing that.. wow.

I hope it sticks around until I get my solos done.

Haha yep! I have zero qualms with using it too, since the CPU as you all know, can be dirty cheating assholes. lol.

This is good to knock out those Solos, get some Coin, nice players and then open up your full playbook for H2H's and matches with friends and GAF.

Speaking of which, Roll Call, who's got which system's Madden? I'm playing on Xbox One.

Yeah, I won two Draft Masters and in that pack i had gotten Poe and Forte, so I didn't need another HB but the idea of a dual HB attack + style challenges made me hold on to him.

I think right now I just need Elites at OL,WR, and FS. My front 7 is something like:
LE: Calais Campbell
DT: Dontari Poe (Loyalty Raji at backup)
RE: Charles Johnson
ROLB: Brian Orakpo
MLB: Lawrence Timmons
MLB2: Mychal Kendricks (this dude is a beast)
LOLB: Jamie Collins

I might try to make that Captain Kendricks, 90 speed at MLB seems unfair

Dang, I've been grinding solos, weekly challenges and a bit of the rookie Gauntlet and my team is mainly lower 80 and mid 70 guys.

Afrikan

did they update the rosters and ratings? I had to download "updated" rosters... but Carlos Hyde seems to have had no change.

I mean besides being underrated in the first place, and just winning an award for his performance on National Television and rushing for over 165 yards. You would think the roster guru who I'm sure watches these games...would've felt he needed to avoid embarrassment by adjusting his rating.

you would think.

Yaari

Second time the game locks up on me in the Solo Draft Champions Finals. And I'm bad so it is hard enough for me to even get that far. Damn.

Afrikan

I don't know how some can say this is one of the best or the best Madden ever Bullshit..

the stupid animations they force you into when you have perfect position for the ball is the dumbest insecure (we have to show off animations even if it affects gameplay) type of shit I've ever seen in a videogame.

be it forcing your defender to decide to go BEHIND the receiver, when you are right there on the inside to get an INT or to knock the ball down... just straight into a stupid animation instead of doing the command you are asking for.

it's one thing if the defender does a catching animation, while still going BEHIND the receiver...which again is stupid within itself..... but if you are pressing the command to try to catch the ball with your defender...but the defender decides to put you in horrible position and then go for a swat?

you have no control in this fucking game... I try turning all that bullshit it off in the settings and it's still the same shit.

insecure fu.....this is just frustration to comprehend..... just let us control the game instead of trying to show off animations that look horrible anyway.

the animations do not look "cool"... they do not look realistic. There is warping everywhere and it makes the AI look stupid.

I don't understand how they could go backwards with this series.

edit- sorry for this rant earlier, I had just lost an online match in frustrating fashion. You play everything right, but it doesn't matter..and that can be pretty annoying when you know the issues were developed on purpose.

Striker

I can definitely agree to that. In fact, I think the entire menu interface overall is slow. So much overlay. I do like the big screen depth chart focus they have going on, but it seems there's much loading for it when crossing over. Another chore is when you cycle through team>roster>cycle through roster to find player>select player>edit and it puts them back at the roster point, so you have to go through the entire process again. Other than that, I do like it. I'm pushing myself on All Madden with realistic sliders. I actually had to turn down a few, like roughing the passer and block in the back, because they were happening seemingly every drive. It's good to see defensive PI finally getting called, at least.

^^ the catch animations are a bit extreme. Seeing Eddie Royal skate three or four yards in process of his possession catch animation was frustrating. He should have no business making that grab.

So I have the week 1 roster update but if I start a season and select active roster it cuts the wrong guys from my team to make it 53. Can I cut all the correct guys from each team before starting a franchise without the free agent pool becoming full?

GravyButt

Ahhh so my elite foster card doesn't seem to working out to well for the Saints quick toss cheese play. Just did the coin up game and Seattle stuffed it for a loss every time

Im refusing to use the cheese play you told me about on D. Just not fair. Im only trying the running one because my o line stinks so bad and I want to actually run the ball!! Plus I dont know what it is now but a gust of wind comes by now and my wr drops the ball even holding the A button. Just seems beyond cheap. Only reason I feel ok cheesing on the offense against the cpu :)

BadAss2961

Trying to start a franchise, but every option I take leads to a fucked up roster. I use what's supposed to be the active roster and Tony Romo's 89 rated instead of his current 94, and Darren McFadden is a free agent.

wtf?

Trying to start a franchise, but every option I take leads to a fucked up roster. I use what's supposed to be the active roster and Tony Romo's 89 rated instead of his current 94, and Darren McFadden is a free agent.

wtf?
I've had that issue with the steelers brown went from 97 to 95 and they cut the wrong kicker

Striker

wtf?
It happened to me to. Not so much about ratings, but Tim Jennings was cut in Chicago in real life and signed with Tampa. But on here, I updated the rosters and he was still in Chicago. It's accurate for the most part, because Aldon Smith was already on Oakland. Then you see what cuts the AI makes, and... it's terrible.

And playing against All Madden AI has its hilarity. You know those games where you don't think the game wants you to win?

Me: 7 penalties (they are all offensive holding and one encroachment [AI player!]
Them: 1 false start

wtf?

To load the latest roster, make sure you have it downloaded and active, and then when you start a franchise choose "active roster."

When you start the season, the rosters should be pretty close... Although some moves up to Friday this week may not be on there.

The ratings thing is weird but it has to do with a team's scheme... In Franchise mode, you have a scheme for your team, and player's ratings varry depending on how well they fit into your scheme. This has been an idea in Madden for a few years and it's generally fine and doesn't affect gameplay very much, but the idea is that you have a guy who is a great fit on one team and for how that team plays, and he might not be that great a fit on another team in a difference offense or defense. FOr instance, NIck Foles can throw 33 TDs and 4 INTs for Chip Kelley's offense, but put him in a 3-read traditional offense and he wouldn't be as effective. So players ratings generally take a hit. The schemes dont exist for exhibition games...

This also causes more parity in OVR team ratings. Tennessee is like a 72 in Exhibition, ut if you boot into Franchise, they're like a 79, because the players fit that scheme... It's weird, but it generally works out decent well in game.

BadAss2961

To load the latest roster, make sure you have it downloaded and active, and then when you start a franchise choose "active roster."

When you start the season, the rosters should be pretty close... Although some moves up to Friday this week may not be on there.

The ratings thing is weird but it has to do with a team's scheme... In Franchise mode, you have a scheme for your team, and player's ratings varry depending on how well they fit into your scheme. This has been an idea in Madden for a few years and it's generally fine and doesn't affect gameplay very much, but the idea is that you have a guy who is a great fit on one team and for how that team plays, and he might not be that great a fit on another team in a difference offense or defense. FOr instance, NIck Foles can throw 33 TDs and 4 INTs for Chip Kelley's offense, but put him in a 3-read traditional offense and he wouldn't be as effective. So players ratings generally take a hit. The schemes dont exist for exhibition games...

This also causes more parity in OVR team ratings. Tennessee is like a 72 in Exhibition, ut if you boot into Franchise, they're like a 79, because the players fit that scheme... It's weird, but it generally works out decent well in game.
The scheme idea sounds good in theory, but falls apart when its franchise only. Why should a player's rating change from mode to mode while on the same team under the same scheme?

I don't want to play with these ratings i'm seeing. I just want to play with the up to date roster as it stands.

Don't forget confidence plays a factor in a players rating as well as scheme guys. Adjust the scheme, complete a few goals and the persons rating and confidence improves.

Don't forget confidence plays a factor in a players rating as well as scheme guys. Adjust the scheme, complete a few goals and the persons rating and confidence improves.
But why would my guys lose exp when they are using the teams default scheme? Antionio brown shouldn't go from. 97 to 95

hbkdx12

Hate to bump the thread for something so trivial but is there a way to turn off the replays during a game? I'm playing franchise mode as a QB and 99% of the plays are followed up with a replay.

So I have the week 1 roster update but if I start a season and select active roster it cuts the wrong guys from my team to make it 53. Can I cut all the correct guys from each team before starting a franchise without the free agent pool becoming full?

Hate to bump the thread for something so trivial but is there a way to turn off the replays during a game? I'm playing franchise mode as a QB and 99% of the plays are followed up with a replay.

Yea there is a quick presentation toggle in the options menu somewhere

The scheme idea sounds good in theory, but falls apart when its franchise only. Why should a player's rating change from mode to mode while on the same team under the same scheme?

I don't want to play with these ratings i'm seeing. I just want to play with the up to date roster as it stands.

I'm with you on the scheme thing, but I think it's because the coaching scheme system does not exist in Exhibition play, only Franchise mode.

If you want to play with up to date rosters, you still can. You download them and start a franchise and choose "Active Roster." The ratings thing is weird but it's part of franchise and as far as I can tell, really doesn't make much of a difference on the field.

Yeah, you have to start in Preseason Week 1 and then make sure all of the auto roster adjustment settings are set to manual or OFF. You can't "sim" the pre-season which is an option this year. The simmed pre-season has built in cut days. When I started my Pats franchise I was pissed that the CPU cut Jonas Gray, and then, well, lo and behold, the Pats but Jonas Gray in real life.

It's based on the coach and their various schemes or even if you created a coach. Sometimes they lose xp because of confidence which is by default set at 50 in CFM
Even though I didn't change coaches? That's annoying
I'm with you on the scheme thing, but I think it's because the coaching scheme system does not exist in Exhibition play, only Franchise mode.

If you want to play with up to date rosters, you still can. You download them and start a franchise and choose "Active Roster." The ratings thing is weird but it's part of franchise and as far as I can tell, really doesn't make much of a difference on the field.

Yeah, you have to start in Preseason Week 1 and then make sure all of the auto roster adjustment settings are set to manual or OFF. You can't "sim" the pre-season which is an option this year. The simmed pre-season has built in cut days. When I started my Pats franchise I was pissed that the CPU cut Jonas Gray, and then, well, lo and behold, the Pats but Jonas Gray in real life.
A part me wish they never expanded the rosters to 75 so much extra work to do

GravyButt

How do you earn team of the week players in mut? Is it only possible to get them through buying packs??

Also, about to start a franchise, anyway to play without all the current injuries? Like Dez, Romo Brees ect?

How do you earn team of the week players in mut? Is it only possible to get them through buying packs??

Also, about to start a franchise, anyway to play without all the current injuries? Like Dez, Romo Brees ect?

In the settings, you can turn off pre existing injuries. And yeah, I think you have to open packs. Or buy off auction house.

I don't even care about MUT, I just like doing draft champions to try interesting team combinations. It's fun going in and getting 4 85+ lineman and just running the ball all game and never getting sacked ha, even if the rest of the team is bad

Let's say I have a Matt Jones card. Will the stats on that card go up as the season goes on? Is it advisable to go and buy cheap players betting on their stats going up? I'm thinking of buying cards of players that are currently considered sleepers in fantasy football.

Let's say I have a Matt Jones card. Will the stats on that card go up as the season goes on? Is it advisable to go and buy cheap players betting on their stats going up? I'm thinking of buying cards of players that are currently considered sleepers in fantasy football.

No, the value on the cards don't change. They may release an updated Gold or Elite Matt Jones card later in the season and you will have to buy it on the auction house or pull it in packs.

GravyButt

So are elites really worth the price tag? Or is it safe to have a solid gold team? Im mostly playing all the single player challenges and single player draft champions but im finding the increase in difficulty really hard, so I didn't know if having a lot more elites would make a huge difference?

Also, I dont play online unless it's against people I know, how much of a difference there? Im a mut noob hahahahaha

So are elites really worth the price tag? Or is it safe to have a solid gold team? Im mostly playing all the single player challenges and single player draft champions but im finding the increase in difficulty really hard, so I didn't know if having a lot more elites would make a huge difference?

Also, I dont play online unless it's against people I know, how much of a difference there? Im a mut noob hahahahaha

Elites aren't really worth it unless it's just a card you want to get. Specific stats on cards are what you need to look for. Speed is pretty deadly for RB and WR. Eventually, you'll need to boost your overall up to like a 80 or something but you don't need a team of elites to do that. I would say as you get further along, just upgrade your offensive line as that's important for pass protection and the run. That should help with the difficulty spike. Getting elites for the sake of getting an elite won't make your team better necessarily. The cost of one elite isn't worth the coins you could of used to fill up other holes with cheaper, "better" players. Hell, I have a couple of elites I don't even use because I prefer fast players in my secondary. And these cards are silver and gold.

GravyButt

Elites aren't really worth it unless it's just a card you want to get. Specific stats on cards are what you need to look for. Speed is pretty deadly for RB and WR. Eventually, you'll need to boost your overall up to like a 80 or something but you don't need a team of elites to do that. I would say as you get further along, just upgrade your offensive line as that's important for pass protection and the run. That should help with the difficulty spike. Getting elites for the sake of getting an elite won't make your team better necessarily. The cost of one elite isn't worth the coins you could of used to fill up other holes with cheaper, "better" players. Hell, I have a couple of elites I don't even use because I prefer fast players in my secondary. And these cards are silver and gold.
Ok cool thank you thats what I was starting to think personally. Im noticing speed seems to be deadly no matter what the position. Especially defense. My team overall is 82 I have an elite luck, foster, lavonte david, and a preorder peterson (turns to 70 gold soon) rest are golds 70's and 80s. Maybe ill stick to boosting golds since its harder to earn coins not playing online against randoms a lot.
Thanks man!

Afrikan

same shit... lost 4 out of my last 5 games because of aggressive catch..

I'm doing everything I can....scoring TDs in conventional ways... but it never fails... opposing shitty player is 3rd or 4th and long and he just chucks it up.

have the devs said ANYTHING about that shit?

yall must be just playing franchise/offline or something against the CPU.

i'm just stuck in the 3000s in ranking cause of these stupid loses.

edit- worse part is these little Lil'B Swagg bitches giggling and talking shit through the chat thing like they are actually playing the game...instead of just holding triangle.

I gotta say, I played the game on Xbox One and PS4 and the Xbox One version is definitely better with the rumble triggers. I started to depend on them which makes me slower to react to the snap on PS4.

I made the switch from PS4 too, and I love the rumble triggers too, but are you having issues with lag when taking the ball to the outside. Every time I run a sweep/run to the outside it slows down hard when I get near the sidelines. I've tried resetting the cache and that's not helping.

Afrikan

What plays and what's the scenario? Also mutw your headset you'll be happier for it.

they happen through out the game... but I'm able to keep my composure and wait from my opponent to fuck up somewhere else. And sometimes they get scared away from man cover two...but again, I'm playing tough dudes...so they need my safeties to be just a certain distance away to call a running play that can take it to the house.

now, running the ball when the safeties are out of the box is legit....that's football.

but to cause the opponent to have to have the safeties outside the box because the devs pushed for prescript animations and aggressive catch this year....just messes up the gameplay IMO. It's like offensive players has 2 Calvin Johnsons (one on each side)..if their players are tall or short but are play makers in real life.

Last year the devs chose to have the secondary overpowered....and although this caused the secondaries to do amazing things...it also forced players to try to get their receivers open...make smart decisions. If offensive player threw the ball up deep last year...it was a fight between both players to fight for the ball. If it was one on one. If it were double covered and you still threw it, 95% of the time you payed for it.

Also no look bullet passes come into play here. In previous years they could get picked or they could work against you if you didn't adjust to them as a defense. BUT this year, thankx to aggressive catch, the offensive player just has to get the ball off and even if you adjust to it as a defense or control the defender in the area...the stupid canned animations take over and it warps you behind the diving WR who grabs the 100mph 5 yard bullet with one hand....stickem style.

imo, it's Tiburon's choice that has fucked things up this year...it's not a glitch...or a bug...but their choice to show off animations, like the Beckham one. Hopefully they can patch it, but I don't think they want to.

all you have to do is snap the ball throw it and hold the aggressive catch button down...and the CPU will do everything for you with the WR to get the ball. Previous years you had to make a smart choice...then click on the receiver, put him in position..and then hold a button.

I'll touch on this more in another thread... but I'm just curious if anyone else is NOT seeing this in online matches...mainly in the 100s-5000s rankings.

edit- sorry didn't finish answering your question... but it happens through out the game to either keep it close or to slowly come back...then late in the game when players are desperate...and I don't know why the game rewards them. It's fucked up.

PooBone

Bought this game 4 days ago for Xbox One. I'm on my fifth created Franchise league today and for the fifth time I've finished a game, viewed the postgame stats, clicked "finished game" and then been taken to the main menu only to realize that my autosave has no been corrupted. A few times this erased several weeks worth of activity, once it erased a season's worth of content. I simulated the season, doing all the scouting BS, and then after the offseason played week 1 only to have the same thing happen again and lose all that progress.

Fuck this game.

EA, Fuck you.

EDIT: First two were in cloud mode, last three were in offline mode. Makes no difference. If you wanna play franchise mode save your money.

So my elite playmaker Gronk card I got at launch for pre-ordering is now a 70. I was surprised by that. My offense ran through him. I kinda suck and haven't played much in the 3d era of Madden. I'm a newbie without his go to crutch to throw to in traffic.

Top Bottom