• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madison Indigenous arts leader, activist revealed as white [Madison365]

I visited my old high school here today in Canada. It was surprising to see that almost everything was the same as 2 decades ago inside, aside from all the truth and reconciliation posters, every child matters ad, social justice and identity poetry, and I saw some kid walking down the hallway in a native art inspired poncho. It was kind of weird. Lol

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Activists pretending to be native Americans is a tale old as time.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

There's a good documentary about this phenomenon:
iu

Bragr

Banned
"adding that people who falsely claim Indigenous heritage are then passing that false claim on to their children, who may unwittingly accept it, perpetuating a falsehood through generations. “It’s a fight for our future and identity.”

I never understood this stuff, because if I spoke about my heritage as an important "identity" and if people adopted any of my cultural traits they would be "perpetuating a falsehood" I would be called a nazi and a bigot for the rest of my life.

I swear a lot of this sounds like extreme right-wing stuff about preserving homogenous races. There is a lot of rhetoric around African-Americans and Latinos too that is incredibly right-wing in nature.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
"adding that people who falsely claim Indigenous heritage are then passing that false claim on to their children, who may unwittingly accept it, perpetuating a falsehood through generations. “It’s a fight for our future and identity.”

I never understood this stuff, because if I spoke about my heritage as an important "identity" and if people adopted any of my cultural traits they would be "perpetuating a falsehood" I would be called a nazi and a bigot for the rest of my life.

I swear a lot of this sounds like extreme right-wing stuff about preserving homogenous races. There is a lot of rhetoric around African-Americans and Latinos too that is incredibly right-wing in nature.

Woke people and racists agree on so many things when it comes to race and identity it's funny and scary.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Ding ding ding.

The same game is being played, they just tweaked the playing field. ;)

gettyimages-6177890001.jpg

FunkMiller

Gold Member
If she identifies as this group of people then she is that. That is what the media has taught me. Don’t question my identity or truth.

Now, now, now. Only men can identify as anything they like, without question. It's right there in the memo.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Of course you can, look at all they white teenage bois being gangsta, what is this if not black appropriation?

Sons of Anarchy aren't claiming to be black (biker gangs are still gangs)... And being "gangsta" isn't exclusively a "black" thing. And no white person can claim to be black and everyone accept it.

I know you're being jokey but I can't identify as white and be treated as such. There'd be no outward appearance to bolster my claim... I'd have to whiten my skin (like Sammy Sosa) and surgically alter my facial bone structure. I'd be thrown in a psychiatric hospital ... Or at least I'd be laughed at constantly. A trans woman or trans man can at least look like what they identify as with haircuts and hormone replacements. I have two friends who are trans who look like their identified gender and they didn't have to have surgery to look it.

poodaddy

Another good example of why people need to stop attributing too much attention to race. If you are so infatuated with another race than your own that you'd lie just to be identified as a member of that race, then not only do you have a major mental illness, but perhaps you have an unhealthy obsession with race in general, which many do. At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter much, it's nothing more than what crayon you most represent, so why the fuck do you care about it? Just be your race, and no don't be proud of it because it's not a fuckin accomplishment man, but don't be ashamed of it either, just be who you are and be happy. Fucking weird shit man.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Another good example of why people need to stop attributing too much attention to race. If you are so infatuated with another race than your own that you'd lie just to be identified as a member of that race, then not only do you have a major mental illness, but perhaps you have an unhealthy obsession with race in general, which many do. At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter much, it's nothing more than what crayon you most represent, so why the fuck do you care about it? Just be your race, and no don't be proud of it because it's not a fuckin accomplishment man, but don't be ashamed of it either, just be who you are and be happy. Fucking weird shit man.

I can't speak for other POC, but black people were made to feel ashamed of our African skin and features for 400 years... It's only in the last 50 or so that many of us have adopted the mindset that we can be proud of who we are, individually and as a collective, and no longer ashamed and think of ourselves as less than.

As for this lady, I don't think she's concerned with race as much as she probably was/is enamored with Native culture... And her mental illness has compounded her to think of herself as Native to the point that she tries to pass herself off as Native to everyone else. Like Rachel Dolezal (sidenote: she actually has a very nice nude body... Not sure why some on here are acting like she's fat or flabby or something disgusting).

It's easy to say "race isn't important" when you haven't been told for years and centuries in the West that you are less than and being constantly reminded of your "race".

Last edited:

Toons

Who could ever foresee that in a woke world where competing in the oppression olympics has become a major part of someone's identity, that white heterosexual women start suffering from FOMO and do crazy things to make their boring old selves more interesting?

Native Americans are absolutely mistreated even down to this day on a large scale.

Don't blame them for another white person trying to capitalize on that mistreatment. She's another in a long, long line of such exploitation.

Toons

Uhhhhh my guy some of those ethnic groups heritage WAS actively attacked and suffered repeated attempts at erasure

Its really not the same lol

Toons

Every single point of contact they have with pop culture (because they select for it) tells them their skin colour is the mark of original sin. It’s no wonder they go crazy.

Oh stop it with this BS.

YOJcXrr.jpg

g2Jsvaj.jpg

Highest grossing film of last year AND the second highest grossing film of the last year are directed by written by and starring white guys in the lead roles. 2021 also.

Ed Sheehan, Justin Bieber, Billie eilish, Harry styles, dua lipa and Taylor swift sell out stadium and top streaming charts.

Our last election was a white guy vs a white guy and the next one will most likely be too. Our speaker of the house is a white guy and the highest selling s
and most published authors are white women.

Don't peddle bulls*** just to excuse this idiots actions. Shes just a dumb Karen who carried on the decades long tradition of exploiting actual native Americans for her own self gain.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Uhhhhh my guy some of those ethnic groups heritage WAS actively attacked and suffered repeated attempts at erasure

Its really not the same lol
I don't think you thought this through.

Is your logic that only groups that have been under attack can champion their culture?

And since they are not under attack right now, does that mean historical situations must also come into play?

Oh stop it with this BS.

YOJcXrr.jpg

g2Jsvaj.jpg

Highest grossing film of last year AND the second highest grossing film of the last year are directed by written by and starring white guys in the lead roles. 2021 also.

Ed Sheehan, Justin Bieber, Billie eilish, Harry styles, dua lipa and Taylor swift sell out stadium and top streaming charts.

Our last election was a white guy vs a white guy and the next one will most likely be too. Our speaker of the house is a white guy and the highest selling s
and most published authors are white women.

Don't peddle bulls*** just to excuse this idiots actions. Shes just a dumb Karen who carried on the decades long tradition of exploiting actual native Americans for her own self gain.
You missed the bit where I said the media they select for.

Scotty W

Gold Member
I visited my old high school here today in Canada. It was surprising to see that almost everything was the same as 2 decades ago inside, aside from all the truth and reconciliation posters, every child matters ad, social justice and identity poetry, and I saw some kid walking down the hallway in a native art inspired poncho. It was kind of weird. Lol
I remember seeing a poster for Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas in a local high school back in the 90’s.

Natives have no interest in that leftist stuff. Most are way too black pilled to stand it. I recall finding a newsletter put together by students from the rez one time and it was like the far side of nihilism, absolutely unreachable by activists.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I remember seeing a poster for Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas in a local high school back in the 90’s.

Natives have no interest in that leftist stuff. Most are way too black pilled to stand it. I recall finding a newsletter put together by students from the rez one time and it was like the far side of nihilism, absolutely unreachable by activists.

They sure were (I know, it's a different tribe) protesting the pipeline through their ancestral lands... While they were being waterhosed in freezing temps as if they were in the deep south marching with Dr. King. They kept suffering indignities... The local government and LEOs sided with big oil.

Also, you realize that Native Americans aren't a monolith, right?

Last edited:

Scotty W

Gold Member
They sure were (I know, it's a different tribe) protesting the pipeline through their ancestral lands... While they were being waterhosed in freezing temps as if they were in the deep south marching with Dr. King. They kept suffering indignities... The local government and LEOs sided with big oil.

I’m not talking about Native American you idiot.

Azurro

Banned
I think the only way that works is if these biracial or mixed... And she isn't. I can't identify as white (I'm black) ... It doesn't work that way (yes, I know you're being facetious LoL).

Of course you can. You can identify as whatever race, gender, disability or age I think of myself as. It's systemic oppression to deny my right to be referred to as an Inuit wheelchair user girl with bispirit, and each of my spirits is also a bispirit.

Toons

I don't think you thought this through.

Is your logic that only groups that have been under attack can champion their culture?

And since they are not under attack right now, does that mean historical situations must also come into play?

1. No, I never said that. But when your culture hasn't been attacked, the presenting as trying to "presrve" that culture too often becomes attached ideas of removing other cultures... which is nazi ideology. When people whose culture actively has been attacked are saying it itd an act of preservation, when not its an act of desperation.

2. They ARE under attack right now. Native american land is being repurchased amidst their protest down to this day especially.

Toons

You missed the bit where I said the media they select for.

Thered no media where the prevailing message is that you're bad if you're white. For any fringe example you can find there are 10 that tell white kids they can become top tier actors, movie stars, musicians famous the world over, and authors of great stories. Which isnt a bad thing. The only difference is now adays we tell other kids that too.

Thered no media where the prevailing message is that you're bad if you're white. For any fringe example you can find there are 10 that tell white kids they can become top tier actors, movie stars, musicians famous the world over, and authors of great stories. Which isnt a bad thing. The only difference is now adays we tell other kids that too.
Lol are you insane?

You can choose your media ecosystem. There are plenty of even mainstream sites that regularly describe whiteness as being a problem. If you disagree then fine but I suspect you aren’t here in good faith.

Just a diet of the NYT and WP will provide this.

Hell, the BBC went through a stage of doing this a few years ago, although thankfully it’s calmed down a bit now.

To be clear, I am not one of these people who say that racism against whites is a huge problem. I am saying that todays media landscape allows you to easily select for this message and it so happens that some of the channels doing this have a (false) reputation for being highbrow.

It is extremely easy to fuel self-hatred.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

This is what happens when a nation is focused on the idea of a culture and not the culture itself.America is all about what you identify as rather than your actual culture. And when you reward people for being brave about their identification and give them power for it,well people will try to abuse that system to get a slice of that power.

Toons

Lol are you insane?

You can choose your media ecosystem. There are plenty of even mainstream sites that regularly describe whiteness as being a problem. If you disagree then fine but I suspect you aren’t here in good faith.

Just a diet of the NYT and WP will provide this.

Hell, the BBC went through a stage of doing this a few years ago, although thankfully it’s calmed down a bit now.

To be clear, I am not one of these people who say that racism against whites is a huge problem. I am saying that todays media landscape allows you to easily select for this message and it so happens that some of the channels doing this have a (false) reputation for being highbrow.

It is extremely easy to fuel self-hatred.

I feel like if that's the takeaway you're getting then your persoecti d is already skewed but we can disagree on it.

daffyduck

And you realize that not all First Nations are against pipelines, right? Not even within the same nation? And you used a word to describe them that is a slur, btw.

Bragr

Banned
1. No, I never said that. But when your culture hasn't been attacked, the presenting as trying to "presrve" that culture too often becomes attached ideas of removing other cultures... which is nazi ideology. When people whose culture actively has been attacked are saying it itd an act of preservation, when not its an act of desperation.

2. They ARE under attack right now. Native american land is being repurchased amidst their protest down to this day especially.
It's not an "attack". No culture owns land like they did 500 years ago.

They were saying that native Americans that weren't authentic were diluting their pool of real native Americans.

It was an act of preservation 100 years ago, not today. No one is trying to eradicate any cultures in the United States. There are more Native Americans than people in my entire country.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
And you realize that not all First Nations are against pipelines, right? Not even within the same nation? And you used a word to describe them that is a slur, btw.

Native American is a slur? That's news to me.

And I was referring to the keystone pipeline during Obama's administration. At least I think it was the keystone one. Might have been a different one. It was either in Montana or North Dakota.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Native American is a slur? That's news to me.

daffyduck

The Smithsonian hasn’t gotten the memo. Well I guess they shouldn’t be in danger of cancellation. Maybe.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

Ok, so not a slur but each Nation or tribe or individual is not a monolith, as I said. Just like plenty of black people either prefer black or African American or just American or African, it depends on how a particular person or group wants to be called... But generally Native American or indigenous or first nation is acceptable (in the US, anyway).

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Ok, so not a slur but each Nation or tribe or individual is not a monolith, as I said. Just like plenty of black people either prefer black or African American or just American or African, it depends on how a particular person or group wants to be called... But generally Native American or indigenous or first nation is acceptable (in the US, anyway).
In general, I'd say yes. At least as an honest first attempt (since nobody is a mind reader). From there, it comes down to how exact people want to be labeled and if they really give a shit or not about terminology. Some care, some dont.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
You also thought they’re universally against pipelines (keystone in particular). You’re still wrong.

Where did I say "universally"? I noted a specific incident... A SPECIFIC moment in recent time where a whole tribe/nation was against it. How do you not see that's what I was saying?

Toons

It's not an "attack". No culture owns land like they did 500 years ago.

Stealing land and reappropriating it for purposes it wss not originally ordained for is an attack, yes.

They were saying that native Americans that weren't authentic were diluting their pool of real native Americans.

Im not sure what this is supposed to be saying. Thats not diluting anything but its an appropriation and an exploitation of native Americans.

It was an act of preservation 100 years ago, not today. No one is trying to eradicate any cultures in the United States. There are more Native Americans than people in my entire country.

Plenty are trying to eradicate cultures here in America my guy. They just stay out of the limelight because their views are rightfully ostracized now. I ran into an actual eugenics supporter earlier today on another site.

There being a certain number of people isnt really relevant to that.

Top Bottom