• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Shotguns are not fucking OP'ed. Jesus Christ. They have an effective range from 0-20 feet. And over that it's worthless. What is so unrealistic about this? If I don't have an advantage using the shotgun within 20 feet versus a machine gun then what reason do I have to use it? I'm so sick of games that have 200 different guns, and 1 shotgun, and it's a nerfed shotgun. Until I'm getting killed by shotgun 50% of the time then it's obviously not OPed.

Vlodril

I dont know why all the fuss with the shotgun is either. I played about 10-15 games today i got killed by shotgun maybe twice.

Solved my problem with the scope, i just reduced the sensitivity.

jayb

I'm thinking about buy MAG and Move together. Can I play MAG using Move, while reclined? Or does it require that you sit more upright?

<--- lazy gamer

DeadGzuz

Banned
jayb said:
I'm thinking about buy MAG and Move together. Can I play MAG using Move, while reclined? Or does it require that you sit more upright?

<--- lazy gamer

I played it on a recliner leaning back. As long as the camera can see the Move controller. I just rested my wrist on the arm rest.

elohel

wait what MAG has move support?

im ashamed lol i didnt know that

how is the game after all the patching?

whats the nicest change?

distrbnce

Banned
I just got MAG... I have to pick a faction and I know I can't go back...

GAF, can you talk me out of picking Raven? Should you? I don't know anything about the differences :(

Raven seems like the coolest, but most stereotypical "best" choice.

Edit: Picked raven. Playing my first mag ever with TTPs setup. I trust your calibration skills. I second a mag 2.0 ot

Click

Banned
My PS3 got completely hard-locked while playing MAG 4 times today and 1 time last night. I was stuck at the armory screen twice (not hard frozen) and was also stuck at the Clan Deploy screen once. My PS3 even completely shut off one time today. A lot of my clanmates have also experienced the same thing several times today. This crap hasn't happened since about 3 months ago. MAG 2.0 seems to be a very unstable patch thus far. I hope Zipper can fix all these hard-freezes asap.

weekend_warrior said:
Shotguns are not fucking OP'ed. Jesus Christ. They have an effective range from 0-20 feet. And over that it's worthless. What is so unrealistic about this? If I don't have an advantage using the shotgun within 20 feet versus a machine gun then what reason do I have to use it? I'm so sick of games that have 200 different guns, and 1 shotgun, and it's a nerfed shotgun. Until I'm getting killed by shotgun 50% of the time then it's obviously not OPed.

Let me guess, you're a shotgun user...

The one and only time I used a shotgun exclusively today, I easily got my shotgun ribbon (25 or more kills with it). Even a n00b shotty user like me was able to fuck up so many people with this OP'd weapon. I was able to ONE SHOT someone from OVER 30 METERS (not feet) away. I was able to take off a significant chunk of someone's health from even further away. You may not think this weapon is OP'd, but tons of other players that have been playing MAG hundreds of hours would disagree with you. Just because YOU haven't been killed by the shotty 50% of the time yet, doesn't mean it's not OP'd.

Click said:
Let me guess, you're a shotgun user...

The one and only time I used a shotgun exclusively today, I easily got my shotgun ribbon (25 or more kills with it). Even a n00b shotty user like me was able to fuck up so many people with this OP'd weapon. I was able to ONE SHOT someone from OVER 30 METERS (not feet) away. I was able to take off a significant chunk of someone's health from even further away. You may not think this weapon is OP'd, but tons of other players that have been playing MAG hundreds of hours would disagree with you. Just because YOU haven't been killed by the shotty 50% of the time yet, doesn't mean it's not OP'd.

And how do you magically determine over 30 meters in a video game? The weapons do not have range finders on them.

Click

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
And how do you magically determine over 30 meters in a video game? The weapons do not have range finders on them.

Because when you revive your squad members it shows how far you are from them with specific range in meters. I've played MAG for almost 700 hours and can determine how many meters I am away from people I'm shooting at. And because I paid special attention to how far away I was from my opponents when I killed them with the shotty today, as well as roughly how far away they were from me when they killed me. Obviously my "20-30 meters" are estimates but these numbers weren't pulled out of my ass... magically.

I also one-shot someone with the shotgun over a similar distance yesterday, but not the other times I tried. I just guess he was low on health.

dazed808

Click said:
My PS3 got completely hard-locked while playing MAG 4 times today and 1 time last night.

That's been the story of my last 48 hours since the patch went live, really unstable and I think lag in Domination has actually got worse if that was possible.

With the influx of new players that the patch, move implementation and the new lower RRP hopefully bring, what's the chances of Zipper actually switching on an Euro server, even for only a few hours evening GMT time??? Would be nice to compete on an even playing field for a change and not have half my deaths coming from being shot before the other fella has even turned to face me or when I've gotten a good couple of metres behind cover and still getting peppered with bullets.

All right, I'll give 2 days of advantage to anyone that wants to do a relaunch thread (J-Rzez gets priority and extra time if needed). A rather large number of people aren't familiar with 2.0 features and improvements, so I think a reboot thread would get at least a few more people to join our community when they actually find out that the game is vastly better now then in January during the launch.

In other news, Zipline podcast episode 22 is live:
http://blog.mag.com/blog/

bunbun777

So I had just vetted to Raven and was lvl 15 when I booted up the 2.0.

I have no balance- cannot unlock foregrip, sight, med kit- lame should have at least 1k imo.

Also, game locked in dom with 5 mins left- oh mag =p

Lince

Banned
I recently moved to a flat closer to my workplace, left my consoles/games at home but somehow out of boredom last week I ordered both another PS3 slim and a X360 slim with Move and a bunch of my favorite games (including MAG) to go along with my new 3D TV, I still have to unpack and plug the consoles since I don't feel like playing anymore (a shame since not so long ago I was digging Demon's Souls quite a bit). I was excited when I read about all of these changes for MAG 2.0, basically a new game! but then again the lag, freezes and imbalances comments eradicated all that excitement from my mind. I guess I'll just wait 'till Killzone 3 since that's the only game I feel like playing now. At 24 I feel I'm just past the age for videogames and all the silly rage playing online with the hilarious lag and stuff. I guess last holidays in Majorca changed my priorities about how to spend my free time.

ok I just realized this post is way off topic, well whatever, take care everyone, specially you Rick, FFO and all the GAFe veterans <3 :D

X-Frame

Lagspike_exe said:
All right, I'll give 2 days of advantage to anyone that wants to do a relaunch thread (J-Rzez gets priority and extra time if needed). A rather large number of people aren't familiar with 2.0 features and improvements, so I think a reboot thread would get at least a few more people to join our community when they actually find out that the game is vastly better now then in January during the launch.

In other news, Zipline podcast episode 22 is live:
http://blog.mag.com/blog/

I also think there needs to be an OT 2 for MAG. It's changed so much since launch.

Kogepan

bunbun777 said:
So I had just vetted to Raven and was lvl 15 when I booted up the 2.0.

I have no balance- cannot unlock foregrip, sight, med kit- lame should have at least 1k imo.

Also, game locked in dom with 5 mins left- oh mag =p

yeh, lots of disconnects and complete lockups (requiring reboot of the PS3)

while i am glad that Zipper has obviously went to alot of trouble to add new features, the games i played post 2.0 have been terrible. I played 8 domination games the last two nights and the majority all ended before the halfway mark. Not sure why this is, but the Dom maps feel completely unbalanced now.

And with the level 70 cap now, and the new skills + inventory system, i think its learning curve has gotten even STEEPER.

One step forward and two steps back. Quite disappointing...

acevans2

Err... the answer to this is going to make me feel dumb, but how do you change sensitivity for Move controls? I saw members listing what they were using, but it won't let me select the sensitivity options in the menu when I'm using Move.

dazed808

acevans2 said:
Err... the answer to this is going to make me feel dumb, but how do you change sensitivity for Move controls? I saw members listing what they were using, but it won't let me select the sensitivity options in the menu when I'm using Move.

Switch to custom where you see the preset options (Casual, Competitive etc) that will then open up each individual control section. TTP's custom settings are a great place to start.

TTP said:
I'm currently going with

Player rotation - 80
Player pitch - 80
Gesture Sensitivity - 65
Scope Sensitivity - 70
Normal play bounding box - Pitch 30 / Turning 0 / Pointer Sensitivity 40
Fixed Iron Sights - OFF
Iron sights bounding box - Pitch 40 / Turning 10 / Pointer Sensitivity 50

Edit:
Lince said:
ok I just realized this post is way off topic, well whatever, take care everyone, specially you Rick, FFO and all the GAFe veterans <3 :D

You too mate, just make sure you come back and play some KZ3 with us :D

Click said:
The one and only time I used a shotgun exclusively today, I easily got my shotgun ribbon (25 or more kills with it). Even a n00b shotty user like me was able to fuck up so many people with this OP'd weapon.
Wow, 25 kills?! I bet you've never could have done that with an assault rifle, huh?

I was able to ONE SHOT someone from OVER 30 METERS (not feet) away.
And he probably had like 2 health left.

I was able to take off a significant chunk of someone's health from even further away.
Yeah, sure... did you ask him after the match? "Hey remember that time I hit you with my shotgun from over 30 meters away" "Yeah I remember that, you took off a significant chunk of my health!"

You may not think this weapon is OP'd, but tons of other players that have been playing MAG hundreds of hours would disagree with you. Just because YOU haven't been killed by the shotty 50% of the time yet, doesn't mean it's not OP'd.
Yeah tons of bitchers.

Seriously man, you must be a AR/ SMG user because those are the only 2 weapons you don't bitch about.

J-Rzez

Lagspike, you can do the OT2. I have far less time than I did when I created this one even now. Gank any information you want from it, especially the "background/premise" of the game. I don't think that it will really attract too many new users though unfortunately, I think a new Thread Title for this same thread would be just as effective though, and people take notice to threads of games with a high post count. But that's all your call, and have my blessings. :D

Click is right about the shotgun. And it's not every shotgun. It's specifically the Raven and Valor shotguns. There's a problem when people are in the towers "sniping" people with them from 25+ yards away. Especially considering they shoot what looks like based on spread 00 buckshot. Problem is it shots in a cluster that "usually" hasn't spread that much at said range, and when aimed at the head, you have better odds of a headshot considering there's multiple pellets in that area.

Also, Click is correct about people bitching that they're getting killed a lot. They can't run like morons swiping away with the knife, they can't bunnyhop neither. Sniping has become somewhat more effective, finally, though you still get shafted on points in many situations. This was a GREAT patch, and really balanced out the game a bit. Sure, there's some gray areas like Raven and Valors Shotguns and SMGs being OP, but that's something I'm sure they can address.

Click

Banned
weekend_warrior said:
Wow, 25 kills?! I bet you've never could have done that with an assault rifle, huh?

Notice how I said I got the ribbon that I said the RIBBON is OVER 25 kills with the shotgun? It was my first shotgun ribbon ever and one of the only times I've ever used the shotgun in MAG because I wanted to test out just how overpowered it was. And yes, I put up way more than 25 kills with ALL weapon categories in this game. Your point is?

weekend_warrior said:
And he probably had like 2 health left.

And you probably don't have any clue what you're talking about. Nice job ASSuming he only had 2 health left.

weekend_warrior said:
Yeah, sure... did you ask him after the match? "Hey remember that time I hit you with my shotgun from over 30 meters away" "Yeah I remember that, you took off a significant chunk of my health!"

Maybe we should queue up together sometime so I can own you with the shotgun all game long. Heck, I'll tell my entire clan to equip the shotgun so we can all own your ass with it all game. Then you can come to GAF and tell us how balanced the weapon is and how we didn't kill you from over 30m out.

weekend_warrior said:
Yeah tons of bitchers.

Yeah, everyone who cares to play MAG for this long bitches about the game at one point. You bitch about a lot of shit too. Don't act all innocent, like you never bitched about something in this game. The game has flaws and with every patch, people will point out those flaws in hope Zipper will fix their stupid mistakes. MAG 2.0 went through a rather lengthy beta period and they still couldn't balance the weapons out. I'm merely sharing my OPINION on what needs work and what needs to be patched.

weekend_warrior said:
Seriously man, you must be a AR/ SMG user because those are the only 2 weapons you don't bitch about.

Actually, I use AR, SMG, LMG, and now Shotgun. The only weapon I don't use is the Sniper Rifle and that's because I don't have enough in-game cash to purchase it yet and my loadouts are already packed with more important loadouts that actually help my team instead of my K/D ratio. When I do snipe though, I usually do well.

So was my guess correct? Are you a shotty user or not? You seem to love assuming things about me but you haven't said whether or not it's your primary weapon. Only shotty users are defending it because they don't want their OP'd weapon of choice to be nerfed again.

Mr.Green

So I bought the game... Looking forward to try it... IF IT FINISHES INSTALLING ITSELF THIS YEAR FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

It's been like half an hour now, and downloading the stuff wasn't the longest part. It's installing data apparently. What the fuck is it doing that takes so long?

God this is irritating. I don't have that much free time to play and I have the feeling that as soon as the damn thing is ready to play, my wife, her sister and their mother are gonna get back damnit.

J-Rzez said:
Click is right about the shotgun. And it's not every shotgun. It's specifically the Raven and Valor shotguns.

Oh. My. GOD. You can't be serious. You can't possibly be serious. You and Click are fucking jokes. It's no wonder you play on Sver- ie, easy mode. You do nothing but bitch about how unfair Ravens maps and how bad Svers guns are. You're completely delirious to the other side of the coin. Why don't you join Valor and see how "fair" it is that enemy APCs can roll through our fronts lines without even taking any roadblocks down. Or how fun it is trying to defend a bunker that's out in middle of nowhere. Nah, Zipper shouldn't worry about that. Zipper should just nerf all the weapons except Svers. And nerf Ravens maps while beefing up Svers. Because God forbid if J-Rzez and Click ever lose a match, clearly somethings not balanced.

Click

Banned
Mr.Green said:
So I bought the game... Looking forward to try it... IF IT FINISHES INSTALLING ITSELF THIS YEAR FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

It's been like half an hour now, and downloading the stuff wasn't the longest part. It's installing data apparently. What the fuck is it doing that takes so long?

God this is irritating. I don't have that much free time to play and I have the feeling that as soon as the damn thing is ready to play, my wife, her sister and their mother are gonna get back damnit.

Took my original, launch 60 GB PS3 about 20 minutes to install. Not sure why it's taking so long for you. Just leave your PS3 on while you go do something else. Not that big of a deal....

Click

Banned
weekend_warrior said:
Oh. My. GOD. You can't be serious. You can't possibly be serious. You and Click are fucking jokes. It's no wonder you play on Sver- ie, easy mode. You do nothing but bitch about how unfair Ravens maps and how bad Svers guns are. You're completely delirious to the other side of the coin. Why don't you join Valor and see how "fair" it is that enemy APCs can roll through our fronts lines without even taking any roadblocks down. Or how fun it is trying to defend a bunker that's out in middle of nowhere. Nah, Zipper shouldn't worry about that. Zipper should just nerf all the weapons except Svers. And nerf Ravens maps while beefing up Svers. Because God forbid if J-Rzez and Click ever lose a match, clearly somethings not balanced.

Wow, just wow. Now you're just being an unreasonable, obnoxious, bitter Valor troll.

FYI, I have 3 Valor alts. 1 is level 60. The other 2 are in their 40s. I know exactly what it's like to play as Valor... and Raven and SVER. So quit your flaming, bitching, and woe is me attitude. I know what it's like to play for Valor with most of the PMC's blue dots sucking balls except late at night when the laggy but talented Japanese Valor clans log on and dominate the scrubby Raven and SVER blue dots.

I have complained about Valor's Acuisition map not making any sense and the fact that you can drive by certain Valor Domination quadrants without having to blow up roadblocks / gates. SVER has them too.

I don't understand how after 9 months of playing MAG, you can still sit here and bitch about maps and are still unwilling to admit the skill level of each PMC is the main determining factor in how well each faction performs. Even the most hardcore, die-hard whiners on the official forums have stopped whining about maps being imbalanced, because Zipper has taken many steps to fix these maps and has even allowed us to vote on whether or not we want all game modes / maps to become faction-neutral.

You can thank Raven and Valor for voting "no" on faction-neutral Acquisition and Domination maps. Most of SVER voted "yes" because we don't want to hear people like you crying everyday on the forums about our maps being OP'd anymore. Notice how ever since Sabotage maps went faction-neutral, SVER has owned both contracts the entire time...? While Valor has never owned even 1 Sabo. contract? Yeah, keep crying about the maps and not the playerbase.

It's pointless to respond to you anymore. I was genuinely trying to have a reasonable debate and discussion here but after your meltdown, it's clear you're just another crybaby flamer who can't be reasoned with. BTW, you still haven't told us whether or not the shotty is your primary weapon of choice, lol.

Mr.Green

Click said:
Took my original, launch 60 GB PS3 about 20 minutes to install. Not sure why it's taking so long for you. Just leave your PS3 on while you go do something else. Not that big of a deal....
Go make a sandwich? 20 minutes is still unacceptable, by the way.

Anyway, got it now. Pwning time! Of myself, that is. :lol

Man

MAG Move controls are Fiiine.

They just need to patch in the ability to remap buttons.
I want ironsight on L2!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Still tweaking my setting but I'm getting close to G point. I'm ending matches at 2nd or 3rd place in my squad now. And I'm just lvl 10 n00b mind you.

One word of advice about bounding boxes.

As you know, there are two distinctive BB for normal and iron sights. When setting them, make sure the iron sights one is slightly bigger (lower number) or equal (same number - but I'd go lower just to be sure) than the normal aim one. This is to avoid camera moving when switching from normal to iron sights.

--- EDIT START ---
Scratch the equal part. If you go equal, u get unintended camera movement when switching the other way around (from iron sight to normal aim). Apparently the two bounding box proportions are not the same. But I've found the perfect spot for you.
Set the normal aim to a given number (say 30). Then remove exactly 12 "points" from that when setting up the iron sights BB (in this case, you should make it 18). Any lower or higher than 18 would have camera moving when switching either from iron sight to normal aim or from normal aim to iron sight.

(of course all this means you CAN'T set the Nomal aim BB at below 12)
--- EDIT END ---

EDIT 2: :lol Actually, scratch that as well. Pointer sensitivity affects BB relative size. I had different sensitivity levels for iron sights and normal aim. Bring them both at the same value fixes my "12 points" disparity. Basically, remember aim sensitivity affects the "real" size of the BB.

Example:

Say you have the normal aim crosshairs super close close to one of the edges of its BB. Not so close to trigger camera rotation, but just about there.

If you switch to iron sights (not fixed btw), the bounding box switches as well. Now, if the iron sights BB is *smaller* (bigger number) than the normal aim one, when switching it will trigger camera rotation cos the reticule, which was previously within the normal aim BB, suddenly finds itself outside of the BB.

Not sure if I made myself clear. Will explain better in my video ;)

Man said:
MAG Move controls are Fiiine.

I want ironsight on L2!

And reload on Circle. Square is too far. Reaching it fucks up aim.
Square to place charges. Circle to reload.
Fix this shit Guerrilla!

J-Rzez

weekend_warrior said:

I've played each PMC already, and I'm on 5th vet. I've put in a lot of time on this game. I was in basically all-stages of testing with it. SVERs entry level sniper is the best T1 sniper in the game, no doubt there. Their ARs are "competitive". Their LMGs are a step below. Their SMGs and Shotguns on the other hand, are trash compared to the other PMCs. Not all factions weapons are supposed to be even, there should be pluses and minuses, but not when there's obvious glaring issues. When SMGs are more effective than ARs at range there's a problem, because up close they're naturally more effective due to fire rate. Defeating the purpose of ARs. Not to mention many times that the SMGs hold far more Ammo.

Valor's acq map is a joke, and a waste of time as it's inevitable you're going to steal their vehicle in about 4mins. Their Dom match is much better laid out and is competitive. I don't play the other mode anymore so I don't know how well their map is there atm.

I lose matches, and it's not necessarily due to map imbalances, as no map outside of perhaps Raven's Acq map is really that unfair. As Raven and Valor, we even beat SVER at Dom. I lose matches due to teammates. I lose battles due to imbalances. But since SVERs T1 seems more effective now, at least I stand a chance against the headshot seeking Raven/Valor SMGs and Shotguns. Thankfully.

Stop being upset that Valor just doesn't have the talent on their side to win. It's pretty much a fact that Raven and SVER have an overall higher quality player base than Valor.

Mr.Green

Man said:
I want ironsight on L2!

Yeah no kidding.

TTP said:
Still tweaking my setting but I'm getting close to G point. I'm ending matches at 2nd or 3rd place in my squad now.

Would you mind reposting them if you made any changes? Actually I'm torn between putting them extra sensible and rest my wrist on my knee or putting them to Natural or something and aim at the screen like a light gun. It should be very immersive and fun but it would probably get tiresome real quick.

Also, is it normal that I only have access to the first basic training mission? There are several others but I can't load those. I swear I'm usually a pretty smart guy, where the hell am I failing? :lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Mr.Green said:
Would you mind reposting them if you made any changes? Actually I'm torn between putting them extra sensible and rest my wrist on my knee or putting them to Natural or something and aim at the screen like a light gun. It should be very immersive and fun but it would probably get tiresome real quick.

I'm going for the resting wrist route myself. Will let you know my settings when I'm done but bare in mind stuff changes depending on practice and equipment/unlocked skills (reduced recoil etc).

distrbnce

Banned
Some guy mentioned before (I guess in the Move OT) that Move was Green while playing MAG.

Well I guess he was in Valor 'cause mine's Blue. :D neat way to represent

zedge

Best Buy in Canada has a deal on greatest hits titles 2 for $40. Picked this and KZ2 up. (about the third time I have bought KZ2... :lol )

Installing update.

My PSN is xZeDgEx

Where do you guys play?

Man

distrbnce said:
Some guy mentioned before (I guess in the Move OT) that Move was Green while playing MAG.

Well I guess he was in Valor 'cause mine's Blue. :D neat way to represent

SVER has orange Move sphere.

JardeL

Thanks for ruining the MAG, Zipper.

I think there were like 127 shotgun n00bs and a sniper guy in the last domination game I played vs. SVER. :lol

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
A new thread for MAG 2.0 would be most welcomed.

The influx of new players looking try the game with Move (or to check out the upgrade system overhaul) would probably find this scene more inviting if we started afresh.

Myself included :)

Kogepan

JardeL said:

I think there were like 127 shotgun n00bs and a sniper guy in the last domination game I played vs. SVER. :lol

yeh, its like there way of introducing new features is to horribly nerf/buff up different weapons every 4 months or so. Its completely ridiculous.

I wish sony would just cut the cord with zipper and bring up the KZ3 ship date. Along with the messed up balance issues, the hard lock ups are just ridiculous.

Click

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Click is right about the shotgun. And it's not every shotgun. It's specifically the Raven and Valor shotguns. There's a problem when people are in the towers "sniping" people with them from 25+ yards away. Especially considering they shoot what looks like based on spread 00 buckshot. Problem is it shots in a cluster that "usually" hasn't spread that much at said range, and when aimed at the head, you have better odds of a headshot considering there's multiple pellets in that area.

Honestly, SVER's shotgun is also OP'd. They all are. However, Raven's Boudini 12 gauge fires faster than the other 2 faction's shotties. With Close Quarters Refire Rate 3 (maxed out refire rate for shotguns, handguns, and SMGs), the Boudini is almost like a friggin' auto-shotgun that has good range. F/P90 is still my favorite OP'd gun though. It was OP'd before the patch and it's even more OP'd after 2.0. I love using it but hate when I get killed by it.

J-Rzez said:
Also, Click is correct about people bitching that they're getting killed a lot. They can't run like morons swiping away with the knife, they can't bunnyhop neither. Sniping has become somewhat more effective, finally, though you still get shafted on points in many situations. This was a GREAT patch, and really balanced out the game a bit. Sure, there's some gray areas like Raven and Valors Shotguns and SMGs being OP, but that's something I'm sure they can address.

They can still bunnyhop but jumping was slightly changed a bit. Like I've said, everyone gets killed much easier and faster now so bunnyhopping and strafing doesn't work as well as it used to. Drop-shotting / dolphin-diving seems to be the only thing that works but even then, if your opponent is good at aiming, you're still going to die.

JardeL said:

I don't think MAG is ruined with 2.0. Sure, a lot of the players who used to rely on knifing, bunnyhopping, and strafing are going to protest and curse the game because they die much more often now, but IMO, patch 2.0 makes MAG much better overall. Zipper just needs to release a patch sooner rather than later, nerfing the shotguns and LMGs again. They went overboard last time and nerfed every weapon category. Hopefully they learned their lesson this time and do a better job nerfing. I don't want the shotties, LMGs, and sniper rifles to become worthless but they definitely need to be toned down... a lot.

BTW, the hard-freezes seem to be a lot more frequent in Domination mode. Other modes also lock up your PS3 but not nearly as often as Dom.

Kogepan

Click said:
I don't think MAG is ruined with 2.0. Sure, a lot of the players who used to rely on knifing, bunnyhopping, and strafing are going to protest and curse the game because they die much more often now, but IMO, patch 2.0 makes MAG much better overall. Zipper just needs to release a patch sooner rather than later, nerfing the shotguns and LMGs again. They went overboard last time and nerfed every weapon category. Hopefully they learned their lesson this time and do a better job nerfing. I don't want the shotties, LMGs, and sniper rifles to become worthless but they definitely need to be toned down... a lot.

BTW, the hard-freezes seem to be a lot more frequent in Domination mode. Other modes also lock up your PS3 but not nearly as often as Dom.

No, its definitely ruined. Look at the number of people quitting halfway through a round of domination. THere usually only about 4 people left after Raven gets raped in about 12 minutes of a typical domination match now.

As its just absolutely ridiculous to be shooting someone at range with a battle rifle, and then be headshotted by a freaking shotgun.

Zipper have absolutely no idea, and they are just change stuff to change stuff at this point. Its seriously not worth the money even at a 'greatest hits' price.

Click

Banned
Kogepan said:
No, its definitely ruined. Look at the number of people quitting halfway through a round of domination. THere usually only about 4 people left after Raven gets raped in about 12 minutes of a typical domination match now.

As its just absolutely ridiculous to be shooting someone at range with a battle rifle, and then be headshotted by a freaking shotgun.

Zipper have absolutely no idea, and they are just change stuff to change stuff at this point. Its seriously not worth the money even at a 'greatest hits' price.

LOL, whatever you say man. You're entitled to your opinion and prediction, but you are exaggerating about a few things.

First of all, people "quit" Dom. for many reasons. Right now, the main reason is because their PS3 hard-freeze. I think I've only been able to get through 3 or 4 Domination games without my PS3 freezing up and I've played roughly a dozen or so Dom. games.

People quit games all the time, all throughout MAG's 9 month history. It's something I've been wanting Zipper to do something about for a long time because quitters ruin games. There is currently no penalty for quitters so they're free to quit as many times as they want and it won't even show on their stats / player cards. Quitters has nothing to do with MAG 2.0.

As for you shooting someone with a battlerifle (I'm guessing you mean the 3rd tier Assault Rifle), and they somehow shot and killed you with a shotty from a far distance is somewhat hard to believe. Unless you're within 20-30m, I don't see how you can die from a shotgun at mid to far range. Yes, the shotgun is OP'd, but it can't 1-shot someone further than 20m out, especially if you're using a T3 AR. Unless your aim really sucks that badly, you can take someone out with an AR within 1-2 seconds of you shooting at them.

If MAG's going to die, it's because there's going to be so many popular, top-tier shooters releasing in the near future. Like I said in another post, MoH, BC2: Viet., and Black Ops are all coming out very soon. Not to mention, Halo Reach is already out. Regardless, the game's been well worth my $60 ($70 if counting the DLC) and done relatively well for a new IP with a dedicated, but gimped post-release development team to support it.

J-Rzez

Click said:
Honestly, SVER's shotgun is also OP'd. They all are. However, Raven's Boudini 12 gauge fires faster than the other 2 faction's shotties. With Close Quarters Refire Rate 3 (maxed out refire rate for shotguns, handguns, and SMGs), the Boudini is almost like a friggin' auto-shotgun that has good range. F/P90 is still my favorite OP'd gun though. It was OP'd before the patch and it's even more OP'd after 2.0. I love using it but hate when I get killed by it.

They can still bunnyhop but jumping was slightly changed a bit. Like I've said, everyone gets killed much easier and faster now so bunnyhopping and strafing doesn't work as well as it used to. Drop-shotting / dolphin-diving seems to be the only thing that works but even then, if your opponent is good at aiming, you're still going to die.

Yeah, the RoF on SVERs shotty sucks, along with the accuracy.

Bunnyhoppers are basically free kills. The stutter/delay that they added to it makes them easy to pick off. I still get a lot of people when I dirt-dive though :D

People aren't just "leaving" the Dom matches, they're getting massive amounts of DCs and Hard Freezes for some reason. I'm sure some people are frustrated they can't get their knife/hop kills anymore since the guns actually drop people now faster unless they're armored up to top tier, but most are leaving said games against their will :lol.

JardeL

Click said:
I don't think MAG is ruined with 2.0. Sure, a lot of the players who used to rely on knifing, bunnyhopping, and strafing are going to protest and curse the game because they die much more often now,
:lol wth?

I was trying to enter the objective room but whenever I did, I saw that 3-4 guys with shotguns were standing at the corners and shooting at us. And they succeeded at killing us %90 of the time. If you think this is better, then good luck with it. It's ruined for me.

Click

Banned
JardeL said:
:lol wth?

I was trying to enter the objective room but whenever I did, I saw that 3-4 guys with shotguns were standing at the corners and shooting at us. And they succeeded at killing us %90 of the time. If you think this is better, then good luck with it. It's ruined for me.

In case you haven't noticed by now, and Zipper even told us in one of the Zipline podcasts, the way they "balance" weapons out is to first make them super powerful, then rely on the feedback (or bitching from forum posters) to see which weapons they need to nerf and which ones they should leave alone.

It's a retarded way to balance weapons (and maps), but that's Zipper's way of doing things. They've never been good at balancing weapons and maps, but they always make fun games (IMO). They will eventually nerf the shotties and LMGs (again) but only after there's a lot of whining on the forums about it... which is already happening. Like I said, I just hope it's sooner rather than later and I hope they get it right this time. I believe 1.06's shotgun was almost balanced correctly but I think that version of MAG broke almost every other weapon due to random bullet spread.... or was it the patch before 1.06? I forgot. Too many patches and too much time has gone by.

The game is better in that wherever I point my red dot sight / crosshairs, is where my bullets go. People actually die now instead of bunnyhopping away or strafing like a clown. The lag has been reduced a lot too, but it's obviously still not perfect. The new skill tree and "Supply Depot" are great revamps on the old system. Clan Deploy is a great, new feature for large, active clans to play together, even though the Clan Wars idea would have been a much better feature to have. They've also fixed a lot of maps that were broken / OP'd (like Raven's Dom. and SVER's Acqui.), while making the damage bar go back to normal.

I'm not sure how often or how long you've played MAG (oh wait, just checked... not too much), but this game has gone through A LOT of change, both good and bad. It's not perfect, but no online game is. I've already listed many flaws that still need to be fixed and patched. Yeah, the game is now in it's 9th month of release and it still isn't near perfection, but you gotta keep in mind, MAG lives up to its name. It's an extremely large game with tons of weapons, maps, skills, vehicles, objectives, and players simultaneously in the same game.

Also, Zipper hasn't been completely focused on MAG ever since its launch. Their post-release team is very dedicated to making MAG as good of a game as possible, but it's really hard when most of their talent is working on the PS Move and SOCOM 4. MAG 2.0 and all the patches before it, along with (soon to be) two DLC weapon / armor / map packs is an extremely impressive feat, given the circumstances. I'm surprised they care enough about the game and the fanbase to bother releasing so many patches and DLC.

MAG has been "ruined" many times and everytime it's been "ruined," (more like patched), people bitch and whine about it. Then they patch it up again and more people bitch and whine. Some people's expectations are just ridiculously too high. They want everything to be perfect and exactly to their liking.

I know I may get flamed by some fanboys for saying this, but Zipper cares much more about their fans and their games and does a much better job at patching than Guerrilla Games did with KZ2. I waited over 3 months and played well over 300 hours and never saw any improvements made on that game. Yet it's still heralded by so many GAF'fers as such an amazing game and it's still played by a lot of people, even though the DLC for it sucked and I heard it's still in the same shape I left it in. Meanwhile, anticipation / hype for KZ3 is through the roof (again), just because it's got better graphics and they added jetpacks. At least Zipper tries to fix what they know is wrong with the game, even if it takes them forever and many tries to get it right.

Just downloaded and to the latest patch.I'm sorry if this has been mentioned, you have to re-speck everything and buy all your weapons again?

Click

Banned
flipswitch said:
Just downloaded and to the latest patch.I'm sorry if this has been mentioned, you have to re-speck everything and buy all your weapons again?

Yup.

Takes less than 10 minutes to redo everything but it's fun and interesting... in a RPG kind of way. Be careful selecting your skills though. You only get 1 "free" respec if you've already played MAG and have some points / XP saved up. Past that, you'll have to get more XP in order to respec again.

Zipper should just allow us to have unlimited respecs. Not sure why they love limiting our ability to try out different specs and loadouts so much. It is really annoying when clanmates tell you to wait so they can respec every other match though, so I guess it's not all bad.

Animator

I havent played this game before 2.0 but I cant imagine it being any more fun. This is probably one of the worst games I ever played and I wish I waited for kz3 to try out the move controls.

This is my mag experience so far:

-wait 20 seconds to spawn.

-accidentally click on choose spawn point which resets the spawn timer back to 20 sec for whatever fucking reason.

-run for 2 minutes to get to where the action is.

-desperately shoot the bunnyhopping asshole with your base weapon that does less damage than a water pistol only to have him shotgun you from halfway across the map.

-repeat.

The aiming in this game is fucking atrocious. Add to that the major lag it seems to have in every game I was in (and I am on fios) it is basicly unplayable. I am sure the hardcore mag fans will call me a troll or claim that I "just don't get it" but fuck I feel like I wasted 30$ and let my post be a warning to the next poor soul who is considering buying this game to try out the move controls.

Top Bottom