• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2dvd

Went 3-1 with Naya Burn last night, my one lost due to being stuck on one land. Gotta say, Naya still feels good. Having Wild Nacatl stick around is like having a constant bolt. Atarka’s Command allowed me to make combat difficult for the opponent. I did bring my life total very low several times though. 2 fetches and shocks and I’m already down to 14 life. And I stumbled with mana in 2 games when I had Boro’s Charm and Atarka’s Command in hand, but could only grab Stomping Grounds or Sacred Foundry.

Gonna switch it up to the RW variant and see how that compares. More consistent mana and the heal from Lightning Helix may be more consistent, especially if the meta is way agro.

Not hard to believe. Still, they didn't go far enough to make it clear that's what they were doing. It's just clear enough that people recognize the words and get frustrated that they're hard to read.

Plus, textless Cryptic Command should have shown them that you never want to actually make it hard to read. They probably wanted it to appeal to the same people that play with Japanese cards and such, but that message was muddled.

See, that seems odd. There have been a few things I've run in non-English for reasons other than budget (Japanese for Tamiyo and some other Kamigawa related stuff, for example) and in all those cases I've made sure to have an English copy with me to show what the card does quickly and easily since I'm not doing it to try and make things harder for people even if the that does happen as a side effect.

OnPoint

I have a random smattering of non-english cards in my EDH decks and every time someone plays one they have to ask me what they do. it's kind of funny, but a huge pain in the ass.

See, that seems odd. There have been a few things I've run in non-English for reasons other than budget (Japanese for Tamiyo and some other Kamigawa related stuff, for example) and in all those cases I've made sure to have an English copy with me to show what the card does quickly and easily since I'm not doing it to try and make things harder for people even if the that does happen as a side effect.

In fairness, I kind of see the logic here. If you look at the textless Cryptic Command, the name of the card is clearly visible (meaning you can look up the text), but there's no way to tell what the card actually does. The problem here is reversed from that -- you can read the text just fine, so finding out what the card does isn't a problem, but the name is obscured. I don't think this issue is as bad, usability-wise, but it wasn't correct for them to assume that this type of reversal would stop there from being a problem altogether.

OnPoint

Website says they're out of stock of replacements for Scalding Tarn and Misty Rainforest Expeditions. I guess I just have a damaged Tarn then. Damn it.

Santiako

ovzuVMw.png

sweeeeeeeeet

Maledict

In fairness, I kind of see the logic here. If you look at the textless Cryptic Command, the name of the card is clearly visible (meaning you can look up the text), but there's no way to tell what the card actually does. The problem here is reversed from that -- you can read the text just fine, so finding out what the card does isn't a problem, but the name is obscured. I don't think this issue is as bad, usability-wise, but it wasn't correct for them to assume that this type of reversal would stop there from being a problem altogether.

The thing is I'd disagree that the spell text is fine - I don't think it is at all. All capitals shouldn't be used for text like this, it's a basic rule of thumb for readability. It is on a basic level harder for people to read.

A_Dang

Love the Aven reprint, and that its a future sight card that we have "caught up with."

Quick question: Is it just me, or does this set more fully embrace its "Egypt" flavor than Kaledesh did its "India" flavor?

jph139

Quick question: Is it just me, or does this set more fully embrace its "Egypt" flavor than Kaledesh did its "India" flavor?

Maro did mention that it's a top-down plane - they started with Egypt world and got Egypt-y mechanics, while Kaladesh started as an artifact set, and they painted it with a "steampunk India" brush.

A_Dang

Maro did mention that it's a top-down plane - they started with Egypt world and got Egypt-y mechanics, while Kaladesh started as an artifact set, and they painted it with a "steampunk India" brush.

Did they ever express concern of not wanting to delve into cultural appropriation territory with Kaladesh?

I mean, that's true but in this case almost all the cards are historical staples I'm very familiar with and, as a result, know what they do. So the hard to read title and smaller art means it's just harder to determine what the card actually is when played by an opponent.

ovzuVMw.png

sweeeeeeeeet

This is fantastic. I'll still go with the original version but I'm pretty encouraged to see this kind of card reprinted in Standard. Maybe we really are going to be seeing Containment Priest as well then.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That is what seemed strange to me...They seem to be fully embracing everything that is or is at least stereotypically Egyptian in this set...

Historical Egypt is largely historical. There's basically nobody to offend.

Aven Mindcensor is a fucking awesome reprint (preprint?) here. Great card, awesome new art.

The thing is I'd disagree that the spell text is fine - I don't think it is at all. All capitals shouldn't be used for text like this, it's a basic rule of thumb for readability. It is on a basic level harder for people to read.

I agree it's harder to read this way, I just mean that it doesn't actually get in the way of understanding the card in the most common scenario -- i.e. if my opponent plays one against me and I don't remember what it does, I'm gonna be able to know by picking up and reading the card.

Yup. They seem much less worried about that here.

Ancient Egypt is probably the single safest real-world inspiration that some sufficient number of people are familiar with -- even the Greek and Norse gods have a pretty decent population of neopagan followers, while as far as I'm aware the Egyptian mythos is basically nonexistent in modern belief systems.

I mean, that's true but in this case almost all the cards are historical staples I'm very familiar with and, as a result, know what they do. So the hard to read title and smaller art means it's just harder to determine what the card actually is when played by an opponent.

Yeah, that was kind of my point; the problem of at-a-glance recognition isn't as bad as being completely unable to learn what the card does from looking at it, but it's still an issue.

Maybe we really are going to be seeing Containment Priest as well then.

That would be nice, that's a bit more relevant given the ability to bring it into Modern.

Tunoku

That Mindcensor reprint is pretty fantastic. And also the first since Future Sight, right? I wonder what it's gonna hose in Standard outside from Traverse the Ulvenwald. I mean, Evolving Wilds, sure.

Also, is this a possibility?

Image.ashx

Probably unlikely due to Protection not being a thing anymore.

Protection is deciduous, meaning it can come back whenever Wizards wants it to.

Containment Priest possibility+Mindcensor Reprint+other goodies have me excited. I think I'll stick with my future Sight Mindcensors though, unless I can get these in foil for a decent rate

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
That Mindcensor reprint is pretty fantastic. And also the first since Future Sight, right? I wonder what it's gonna hose in Standard outside from Traverse the Ulvenwald. I mean, Evolving Wilds, sure.

Enemy fetchlands in Atlazan.

Enemy fetchlands in Atlazan.
#Believe

I mean, MaRo's against them in Standard, but I think Fetches are a nice way to boost up a set that looks to be iffy(Which, if Atlazan is based on Central American Pre-Colonial period it's probably their hardest sell since Tarkir/Lorwyn in terms of "How does this resonate with people")

Rafy

Image.ashx

Maro did say on his tumbler that not all the mechanics of the set have been revealed yet. While it might be improbable, I wouldn't exclude it.

EDIT:

#Believe

I mean, MaRo's against them in Standard, but I think Fetches are a nice way to boost up a set that looks to be iffy

When he was asked about a postmodern format, he said that if Wizards ever went down that road, it would most likely be without Fetch lands. That fact alone makes me think we will not see Fetch lands in standard.

That Mindcensor reprint is pretty fantastic. And also the first since Future Sight, right?

Yep, this is where it's "preprinted" from.

There's no technical reason they couldn't do it as they're still allowed to bring back Protection where relevant, I just don't think people care about this card enough to make it worthwhile.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Image.ashx

Protection is still a thing, its just rare.

Angry Grimace

Also, 347&type=card[/IMG]

It's a pretty bad way to hose something like Attune, Traverse or Evolving Wilds anyways. Your opponent is likely to crack Wilds or play Attune before you have the mana to cast Mindcenser and also dramatically more likely to actually find a copy of the relevant card in Standard since it plays so many basics.

As irrelevant as it is, I still get weirdly excited when a future shifted card gets reprinted.

Agreed. This'll be only the 8th Future Shifted card printed in a regular expansion (though another 24 have been reprinted solely in reprint-only sets with the regular frame.) There's been a few missed opportunities in the past, so it's nice when they find another slot that works.

I expect some underwhelming flavor reason to be cited, as with Tombstalker not getting reprinted because it was a non-cat demon.

Something like "all white cats in Amonkhet must have embalm"

When he was asked about a postmodern format, he said that if Wizards ever went down that road, it would most likely be without Fetch lands. That fact alone makes me think we will not see Fetch lands in standard.

They always have the out of just banning them at the outset of the format. I wouldn't assume that they won't reprint them until the format actually exists.

Tunoku

It's a pretty bad way to hose something like Attune, Traverse or Evolving Wilds anyways. Your opponent is likely to crack Wilds or play Attune before you have the mana to cast Mindcenser and also dramatically more likely to actually find a copy of the relevant card in Standard since it plays so many basics.

And in the case of Attune, the Energy is what matters in the late game. Especially with a Tower or two out. Heck, in that case you could probably cast the Attune, your opponent flashes in a bird, and you just kill it before Attune itself resolves using a Dynavolt Tower.

Angry Grimace

Glorybringer seems really strong at regular rare. Seems like a sensible choice to use as the Game Day promo.

Angry Grimace

How does exert work with Vigilance? If you have Always Watching out, can you attack and Exert each turn?

You get the ability for free based on the reminder text; e.g. Exert seems to just put a condition on the card rather than actively tap it. But consider I ran an Always Watching/Ojutai deck and it still wasn't all that great even though its ridiculously OP if you get it going. That was a REALLY fun deck that I'm sad I didn't play that long.

Ashodin

4mcPUXr.png

Regular art, looking good.

Five mana flying haste flametongue kavu is really good shit, if only that it doesn't hit vehicles.

The regular art is badass, it looks like some napalm shit

Anything else though... It hits Avacyn, Kalitas, lots of nasty shit besides like Ishkanah

Also you can drop Aven Mindcensor in response to Traverse the Ulvenwald and be like.. yo search your top 4 for that Ishkanah, asshole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom