• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Nelson - "Perfect Dark XBLA coming this winter". Free theme tomorrow.

I love free premium themes

Amazed we haven't had more info/pics/vids of this, especially if it was at the Xbox booth.... what are these journos doing??

Aside from showing Milo pictures of knobs and fannies.....

JimiNutz

Banned
striKeVillain! said:
Theme looks great. I wonder why we haven't seen anything from the show floor yet?

I'm starting to think it's not there.
Maybe Nelson just saw like a press release or something?

Xater

Can#t wait for the day it comes out and eeryone relizeses that these old Rare FPS games don't hold up at all. :lol

JimiNutz

Banned
Xater said:
Can#t wait for the day it comes out and eeryone relizeses that these old Rare FPS games don't hold up at all. :lol
Played it recently.
Was still awesome (especially MP)

Kujo

Oh, 4J. I wish Rare was doing it themselves like with Goldeneye. Now the chances for new textures/models seem slim. The music had better at least match up with the cut scenes *cough*Tooie*cough*

Daante

Xater said:

So lets think about this

- Is any console fps today offering the possiblity to play 4 players online with the screen split to 4 like GE and PE did on N64? , both online and offline

- Is any console fps today offering the same ammount of insane MP options that PD had/have?

- Is any console fps today offering such bad as and innovate weapons as PD had?, farsight, slayer rocket etc ?

- Is any console fps today offering a COUNTER OP ONLINE MODE?

- Is any console fps today offering "challenges" aka missions against well played bots where you as a team have to play good togheter? , both playable online and offline.

Since i havent played much console fps latley , im by no means a expert on this, so feel free to let me know what the true answers to the questions above are :)

Or if you are RARE and reading this, im just trying to help you make your PD XBLA even more awesome ^^

Dizzy-4U

2il21s0.jpg

Mogg0

Banned
Oh boyohboyohboyohboy.

That looks fucking astonishing! The perfect middleground between PD1 Joanna and PD2 Joanna.

Group hug!

tegdf

gonna use that theme, can't wait to play PD again. But, where the hell is PD2, its been 3 1/2 years since we've seen anything from the PD team, hell even the Kameo team?

Yeah with even the simplest XBL Arcade titles having online multiplayer, it would just be the stupidest thing Rare has ever done to not include online multi.

Raide

Everyone download the PD Theme and instantly use it? :lol

For and XBLA game, having no online play would be a silly mistake. PD was all about the MP, so I expect it to be in the XBLA release.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
4J Studios confirmed to be dev behind Perfect Dark XBLA:

3/6/09: It's Dark, She's Perfect

As the availability of a new PD-themed, er, theme on Marketplace today may indicate, the original pre-Zero instalment of Perfect Dark will be the third Rare N64-era classic to arrive on Xbox Live Arcade.

It'll be following in the footsteps of Banjo-Kazooie and PD's own stablemate from the same year, Banjo-Tooie. Those troopers at 4J are already hard at work on the porting duties, sorting out the high-definition makeover and kick up the framerate you've come to expect. No word on any further tweaks or additions just yet, and no solid release date, but at the time of writing it seems likely to be near the end of 2009.

Here's the original promo text we scrawled for Marketplace: "Back in the year 2000, Rare continued a solid gold run of hits with the debut of a striking new sci-fi heroine. Agent Joanna Dark hit the ground running in Perfect Dark, an epic tale of galactic conspiracies in 2023 America. Now this classic shooter is coming to Xbox Live Arcade, rendered in greater definition and detail and sporting a silkier framerate than ever before. Fire up your Farsight and prepare for assignment as the Dark returns this winter."

Aforementioned Perfect Dark Premium Theme facts: it's due to become active on Xbox Live Marketplace at 9am PST/5pm GMT today, be available for two weeks, and check in at the astonishing price of zero pence/cents/Armenian dram for Gold and Silver members alike (Gold-only for the first week, as usual) – unless something's changed since we got our info or we've hilariously misconstrued what we were told.

More info, shots and a full website section for PD XBLA will arrive in due course. For now, here are some shiny images of the Premium Theme to preempt your wild demands and send you all haring off to download the little monkey.

[Nintex] said:
Announce Perfect Dark 2 in that style RARE, come on I know you want to you cockteasers :D
Consider this, if there is a game company called RARE, wouldn't they be at E3? If they're not at the largest video game event of the year they must not exist.

Odds are the Perfect Dark team got let go, almost 4 years and no word on Perfect Dark 2 means Perfect Dark Zero finished them.

Microsoft should pay Crytek to put one of their teams on it since RARE has been put down. :(

Kydd BlaZe

Dizzy-4U said:
Holy shit!!

PD2 just HAS to happen!!

XBLA PD all over my face, though. This announcement ALMOST made my E3 (Lol, was so looking forward to a PD2 announcement :\ c'mon RARE...make it happen)

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Why isn't online play mentioned in the description? UGH.

It would be a crime if this doesn't have online play.

SimpleDesign said:
Consider this, if there is a game company called RARE, wouldn't they be at E3? If they're not at the largest video game event of the year they must not exist.

Odds are the Perfect Dark team got let go, almost 4 years and no word on Perfect Dark 2 means Perfect Dark Zero finished them.

Microsoft should pay Crytek to put one of their teams on it since RARE has been put down. :(

Dont believe your own hype dude... Gregg Mayles and most of the team leaders are still there and arnt going anywhere.

[Nintex]

SimpleDesign said:

It's just typical RARE to not show up at E3 and mess with our feelings. Shane Kim said that MS didn't show all their first party games, only a selection.

Hell they didn't talked about this announcement untill after E3 and even Molyneux says he still has an announcement left. Who knows what bombs may drop when E3 continues.

[Nintex] said:
It's just typical RARE to not show up at E3 and mess with our feelings. Shane Kim said that MS didn't show all their first party games, only a selection.
Come on now, Shane Kim is probably confused and thinking Halo: Reach is still under wraps.

Well, I don't know what they're waiting for. I doubt PD2 would release against Halo: Reach in 2010. Fall 2009 was kinda their moment to shine with a new Perfect Dark.

[Nintex]

SimpleDesign said:
Come on now, Shane Kim is probably confused and thinking Halo: Reach is still under wraps.

Well, I don't know what they're waiting for. I doubt PD2 would release against Halo: Reach in 2010. Fall 2009 was kinda their moment to shine with a new Perfect Dark.
How about to give it some space like spring or summer 2010, MS usually drops eveything in the last few months of the year, so it would be a nice change of pace and might help sales a bit too.

Top Bottom