• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Maka Wuhu is ruining Mario Kart 7.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Thanks for the title edit, mods.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I think there's an unspoken rule where if one dude is spamming the Wuhu courses, the rest of the racers make his life a living hell. By that I mean I hope I'm not the only one unleashing fury onto spammers~

Lol it's not just you. To be fair to random players, I have seen several people vote for Maka and NOT use the shortcut. They really like the track and want to play it right.

I also saw one guy who voted for Maka 3 times in a row because he cheated every time, get assaulted by a mob on his 3rd attempt.

Kyoufu

If Nintendo fixes/patches something it should be the map voting system so people can't spam the same track over and over.

I think that shortcut's fine, finding these and pulling them off has always been a fun part of Mario Kart.

What.

Are you defending the glitch? I'm confused.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Lol it's not just you. To be fair to random players, I have seen several people vote for Maka and NOT use the shortcut. They really like the track and want to play it right.

I also saw one guy who voted for Maka 3 times in a row because he cheated every time, get assaulted by a mob on his 3rd attempt.

And that's arguably the worst part of this whole thing... Maka Wuhu is an AWESOME course by itself, totally ruined by a stupid exploit. What a waste.

Gintoki

storafötter;34294460 said:
Ironically the only times I experienced this was with gaffers. I haven't played with the community for weeks now, so maybe those few people stopped doing it.

The problem is the GAF community code is out there in the internet, so it could've been a lurker.

I usually assume your a cheater/glitcher if you pick Maka Wuhu now too :p

i agree Dacvak, that course is good.

If Nintendo fixes/patches something it should be the map voting system so people can't spam the same track over and over.

bleh , i always pick snes rainbow road when i play online B^) that course is godly

I think that shortcut's fine, finding these and pulling them off has always been a fun part of Mario Kart.

I'm confused, there's a difference between shortcut's the designers created in the game and exploiting the respawn system of the game.

I don't think there's nothing fun from stopping your car and jumping to the void so you can skip half the circuit.

Instro

I think that shortcut's fine, finding these have always been part of MK.

I'm struggling to think of shortcuts that rely on glitches in any of the recent MK games.

Tunavi

Banned
In worldwide one time, some little shithead would always come last place in every race but when his consistent maka wuhu vote ever won, he would cheat and get 1st every time.

I'm going to start doing it in worldwide. It's basically a secret shortcut.

Never in GAF community though, unless we all mutually agree on it.

aeolist

Banned
I'm confused, there's a difference between shortcut's the designers created in the game and exploiting the respawn system of the game.

I don't think there's nothing fun from stopping your car and jumping to the void so you can skip half the circuit.
He's right that there's been lots of this kind of thing in previous MK games and they are kinda fun to find.

And if you're playing with friends in front of the same TV and someone is a douche about it you can smack him upside the head. On the Internet you will get a malicious asshole a high percentage of the time.

"Just play with friends" is obviously a good fix but it's not convenient for everyone and doesn't make it OK for Nintendo to have released a game in which 1 track bug practically ruins matchmaking and isn't fixable.

genjiZERO

I'm not really seeing a big difference between this shortcut and past shortcuts in Mario Kart games (Rainbow Road, Wario Stadium etc etc), to be honest.

At least it's not snaking.

are we all in agreement that snaking was the worst thing ever

What's wrong with snaking? It seems like a legitimate skill move to me (at least in Double Dash - I haven't really tried the newest one yet)

Cynosure

By that I mean I hope I'm not the only one unleashing fury onto spammers~

I try do that to repeaters of any course. I forget about racing and just make it my mission to pull them back. Doesn't work out all the time, but when it does, feels good man.

The best is when I get the 3 red shells and I'm just behind them.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches

Oh, so it's part of the MK experience. Ok, I ain't mad now.

LTqyM.jpg

smurfx

get some go again
wtf this looks like a glitch you'd do on MarioKart64. REALLY nintendo?
anybody remember that one contest from nintendo power asking people to post their fastest times on mario raceway? whoever won would win a really cool looking golden control. i remember seeing the winners time and being blown away at how freaking fast it was. my friends and i would play for hours trying to one up each others times on tracks and we gave up playing mario raceway because we couldn't beat it. years later after finding out the secret to the fast time i could never do the trick jump and come close to that time. -_-

And that's arguably the worst part of this whole thing... Maka Wuhu is an AWESOME course by itself, totally ruined by a stupid exploit. What a waste.

Yeah, I agree. It's actually one of my favorite courses in the game. It's scenic, and the music for it is pretty nice. There are a lot of people who pick it just because it's fun.

Nintendo said:
There are no plans to update the game to remove this shortcut as doing so would create an unfair advantage for the users of the original release of the game.

This is an amazing statement.

I fear the day Bethesda uses it as a reply to PS3 customers.

Haunted

Oh, so it's part of the MK experience. Ok, I ain't mad now.

LTqyM.jpg
I can totally understand the frustration if people vote for the same fucking track over and over again and they get to decide what's being played. That's not fun and definitely ruins the experience.

GAF will defend anything.
Looking how many people are piling on me, I don't think it's proper to make me represent GAF in this case. :p

There are no plans to update the game to remove this shortcut as doing so would create an unfair advantage for the users of the original release of the game.

lol what

edit: it's been 6 minutes since I made this post and that statement is still incomprehensible

Shiggy

Online aspects has improved, so who knows.
The Zelda bug was relatively easy to fix (though is not out in the US yet):
1. Download the channel
2. Open the channel
3. Save-data fixed
On the Wii they had no other way, since Zelda had no online-hook to get players into getting online and download a patch automatically.

Mario Kart 7 can technically be patched, they just haven't done so yet. The game has been out around a month; so guess that if things remain the same in 3..yeah, there's no interest. :p

Are you sure? It was released in Europe in December already.

So Nintendo can't patch a current-gen game launched a month ago? That's the biggest issue, because in my experience, people don't usually pick Maka Wuhu.

Kinda off-topic, but Wii U is going to be glorious. All those HD bugged-ass games and no support to patches? Could happen.

Day one.
Unfortunately, I'm not being sarcastic.

NSider

Nintendo has responded to an email regarding Maka Wuhu:
Hello,

Thanks for your patience in waiting for a response during this busy time of year. We are aware that it is possible to navigate a certain part of the track in Wuhu Island in a way that allows a large part of the course to be bypassed. There are no plans to update the game to remove this shortcut as doing so would create an unfair advantage for the users of the original release of the game. Rest assured your comments have been added to our records for Mario Kart 7.

Sincerely,

Buddy Roemer
Nintendo of America Inc.

Buddy Roemer works at Nintendo?

Cynosure

I can't do the Wuhu Loop glitch. When I'm playing online, I've noticed like only 1 or 2 out of 8 does it successfully.

Foffy

Banned
Guess that explains why so many people pick that course and burn through it. I just got the game yesterday so I figured I missed a big shortcut in the track....

I think I might sell the game, now.

Dacvak

Guess that explains why so many people pick that course and burn through it. I just got the game yesterday so I figured I missed a big shortcut in the track....

Don't do that. It's really awesome, minus that awful glitch. =\

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Stick to familiar communities, it doesn't have to be GAF's, or play locally. This is an irritating exploit, definitely, but by no means serious enough to warrant selling game, imo.

Foffy

Banned
I think you are over exaggerating.

Well, it's one thing on top of a cake I don't seem to be liking all that much, to be honest. I think the way parts unlock is rather tedious and sporadic, I think almost every single unlockable character is terrible, and there are some noticeable omissions in the roster for me. Really, Metal Mario?

The courses are the only thing I actually like about the game. Perhaps Mario Kart isn't for me, as I haven't adored an entry since MK64.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Well, it's one thing on top of a cake I don't seem to be liking all that much, to be honest. I think the way parts unlock is rather tedious and sporadic, I think almost every single unlockable character is terrible, and there are some noticeable omissions in the roster for me. Really, Metal Mario?

The courses are the only thing I actually like about the game. Perhaps Mario Kart isn't for me, as I haven't adored an entry since MK64.

Buy a vita and enjoy Modnation Racers. I guarantee there won't be any online racing problems with that game!

I don't understand Nintendo's response at all. This is why no one trusts them to develop an online system that doesn't blow.

Top Bottom