• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Maka Wuhu is ruining Mario Kart 7.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'm struggling to think of shortcuts that rely on glitches in any of the recent MK games.
MKWii had several course breaking shortcuts of varying levels of glitchiness.

Mushroom Gorge - You can mushroom onto the wall and drive on the mountain that's to the left of the starting point to behind it for a full lap.

Grumble Volcano - It is possible to get on the platform to the left of the starting line without a mushroom. Use the accel-while-at-a-braked-stop boost and aim right to clip up. Once you're on there you can loop around and have it count as a full lap. (I've seen this online.)

Wario's Gold Mine - If you mushroom from in front of the starting point onto the green pipe under the bridge leading back to it, you'll either get a clipping error and pop back into the track with 90% of the lap completed or you'll fall and lakitu will place you back on the bridge but for it to count for the full lap you have to drive back a bit before approaching.

Bowser's Castle - There is a clipping error involving the spiral pathway after the lava halfpipe where you just skip a large portion of the track. I've only seen it in time trial vids though.

Maybe more but those are what come to mind.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Will the WiiU support patching? What about future Nintendo titles? They are making too many mistakes recently to keep this policy huh?

It's pretty funny that before this console generation started everyone thought DLC and patches were going to result in a rash of glitchy, unfinished games being released. Years later and the company releasing the most broken games (have any of the major Wii first-party titles NOT had a game-breaking glitch) in that regard is the one that produces the only consoles that don't support patching.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I don't understand Nintendo's response at all. This is why no one trusts them to develop an online system that doesn't blow.

Agreed. It makes absolutely no sense. They're adamant insistence on dragging their feet when it comes to online shows a lack of understanding about current desires of gamers.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.

Mushroom Gorge - You can mushroom onto the wall and drive on the mountain that's to the left of the starting point to behind it for a full lap.

Grumble Volcano - It is possible to get on the platform to the left of the starting line without a mushroom. Use the accel-while-at-a-braked-stop boost and aim right to clip up. Once you're on there you can loop around and have it count as a full lap. (I've seen this online.)

Wario's Gold Mine - If you mushroom from in front of the starting point onto the green pipe under the bridge leading back to it, you'll either get a clipping error and pop back into the track with 90% of the lap completed or you'll fall and lakitu will place you back on the bridge but for it to count for the full lap you have to drive back a bit before approaching.

Bowser's Castle - There is a clipping error involving the spiral pathway after the lava halfpipe where you just skip a large portion of the track. I've only seen it in time trial vids though.

I think because of the complexities of those glitches, you don't really see them online much. I've played a good bit of MK Wii, and I rarely see cheating. Either way, just because Nintendo's past online experiences have been broken doesn't excuse them this time around. If anything, they should learn from their mistakes.

Nairume

Banned
Will the WiiU support patching? What about future Nintendo titles? They are making too many mistakes recently to keep this policy huh?
The recent update to the 3DS eShop has added in the functionality for DLC, which would presumably also allow for patches. Mario Kart 7 probably just missed the cutoff.

Rapstah

Maybe whoever is in charge of features at Nintendo actually thought that this is what people meant by "patching". "Huh, updating the game? We've been doing this for 20 years! What's the use of spending money on developing a way to do it online? I'll check the 'no' box."

Anony

i did not know this, might have to try it
using glitches is funny

dont see the problem, you talking about a game where you can be first place for 2 laps and on the final lap, you can get blue shell'd and become last
if this was gt5 or something, i see the concern

if they fix it, that's all well and nice, if they dont, who cares

also, the few times i went online, no people were constantly choosing the same courses
maybe you're just unlucky and you got matched with assholes all the time
and like you mentioned, i have a WAY bigger problem with this bullshit coin based unlocking shit more than anything else

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Games can get patches as long as they're made for it, that's how it is for every system that doesn't actually install game data somewhere it can be easily overwritten by any number of methods, built in or otherwise. If the original code doesn't tell the system to at any time look somewhere in the system's own memory for newer versions of any given game file then how would you apply a patch to it with the cartridges themselves unable to be overwritten? It's not a limitation with 3DS hardware or 3DS software, it's that they, as usual, probably didn't consider such incidents in order to make MK7 accept patches of this sort.
I was talking about OS level support to patches. Any game on pretty much any system can be patched if the developer bothers to allow for updates, so this argument is kinda pointless.

TheNatural

My Member!
Their response from that Youtube video posted earlier makes no sense:

Thanks for your patience in waiting for a response during this busy time of year. We are aware that it is possible to navigate a certain part of the track in Wuhu Island in a way that allows a large part of the course to be bypassed. There are no plans to update the game to remove this shortcut as doing so would create an unfair advantage for the users of the original release of the game. Rest assured your comments have been added to our records for Mario Kart 7.

What the fuck does that mean? They can't update the online play with a patch at all because it's impossible to do so and would have to update the game itself in future releases?

If they mean it would create an unfair advantage for those with the original after updating with a patch when you go online, how would anyone have the original unpatched release if it's mandatory to update to the patch to play online?

It all sounds pretty fucking stupid. And I remember when 3DS was unveiled they went on and on about how it was going to be different playing online in the future. I don't understand how they are this incompetent with online play.

PS - Also, a simple fix in the programming - why doesn't Nintendo just set a gap point from these glitches where you have to drive at least a certain amount of time before it registers as a lap. Something that obviously weeds out the glitches, but it's also impossible to go that fast playing normally as fast as possible with all the designed shortcuts and powerups?

If they mean it would create an unfair advantage for those with the original after updating with a patch when you go online, how would anyone have the original unpatched release if it's mandatory to update to the patch to play online?

It all sounds pretty fucking stupid. And I remember when 3DS was unveiled they went on and on about how it was going to be different playing online in the future. I don't understand how they are this incompetent with online play.

So you think Nintendo would lock out online for any MK7 owners who don't have any space left to download said patch?

What the fuck does that mean? They can't update the online play with a patch at all because it's impossible to do so and would have to update the game itself in future releases?

PS - Also, a simple fix in the programming - why doesn't Nintendo just set a gap point from these glitches where you have to drive at least a certain amount of time before it registers as a lap. Something that obviously weeds out the glitches, but it's also impossible to go that fast playing normally as fast as possible with all the designed shortcuts and powerups?

I think he talks about updating the software on future carts since MK7 seems to lack patch support, and that would make new buyers unable to do the trick, while others still can exploit it.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
So you think Nintendo would lock out online for any MK7 owners who don't have any space left to download said patch?

That's assuming they wouldn't be able to save the patch on the cart.

Buy a vita and enjoy Modnation Racers. I guarantee there won't be any online racing problems with that game!

At least it can be patched in, eh?

Anyway, I don't understand why every 3DS game doesn't have the ability to be patched. It should be on by default for every game in the event of a glitch in an online game, and force users to update if they wish to play online. God forbid the original buyers have to clear a few MB (I'm sorry, "blocks") from their 2GB SD cards that came with the system!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches

I'm not sure whether to smh or be grateful the number of course breaking exploits* went down.

* (That we know of so far, sigh)

Competitive, online-enabled games have to be patchable. Nintendo needs to recognize that and see the implementation (on OS level or otherwise) through. I may harm little kitties if they fail to facilitate that with the Wii U.

tsab

I am having fun staying in the cheating spot and hit people with fireflowers while trying to mushroom boost their way through that glitch spot. I can only imagine they're nerd raging while calling me names...

I don't even care about VR points, Disconnection boots from online or w/e. I have fun this way :p

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It's pretty funny that before this console generation started everyone thought DLC and patches were going to result in a rash of glitchy, unfinished games being released. Years later and the company releasing the most broken games (have any of the major Wii first-party titles NOT had a game-breaking glitch) in that regard is the one that produces the only consoles that don't support patching.

Just about everybody this generation has released games that have day one patches at this point for oversights, glitches, and stuff that wasn't finished by the time the game went gold. That includes 1st parties and 3rd parties for the HD systems.

Nintendo and 3rd party Wii games have had no worse a record of glitchy games - in fact, on the whole, they're probably still better. Nintendo doesn't do the Full Bethesda.

The difference is that now console users take for granted patching games to fix all the broken shit they were shoved out door with. So it sticks out like a sore thumb when a Wii or 3DS game has glitches, since they'll never be fixed even if they're trivial and would, literally, require five minutes.

The real problem is that games are simply too complex now. It's nearly impossible to test the average AAA sized game for glitches, and even a game like modern Mario Kart with complex 3D tracks is a bear to test for ways to exploit all that geometry. Nintendo has fallen behind because they're holding to an old development model where time and resources for Q/A were generally sufficient to discover the game-breaking glitches in games.

But that's not the case anymore, and the ability to patch after release is as basic a necessity as decent online support.

Madao

maka wuhu is trash anyway. the track is just a bunch of straights.

if they make an easy patch to just disable it in the course selection screen, i'll be happy.

Madao

Just about everybody this generation has released games that have day one patches at this point for oversights, glitches, and stuff that wasn't finished by the time the game went gold. That includes 1st parties and 3rd parties for the HD systems.

Nintendo and 3rd party Wii games have had no worse a record of glitchy games - in fact, on the whole, they're probably still better. Nintendo doesn't do the Full Bethesda.

The difference is that now console users take for granted patching games to fix all the broken shit they were shoved out door with. So it sticks out like a sore thumb when a Wii or 3DS game has glitches, since they'll never be fixed even if they're trivial and would, literally, require five minutes.

The real problem is that games are simply too complex now. It's nearly impossible to test the average AAA sized game for glitches, and even a game like modern Mario Kart with complex 3D tracks is a bear to test for ways to exploit all that geometry. Nintendo has fallen behind because they're holding to an old development model where time and resources for Q/A were generally sufficient to discover the game-breaking glitches in games.

But that's not the case anymore, and the ability to patch after release is as basic a necessity as decent online support.

then how do you explain past games like The Wind Waker and Mario Kart Double Dash which had almost no glitches and their sequels on similar powered systems have become worse?

being rushed doesn't excuse that since TWW and MKDD were rushed too.

nintendo's QA is worse than before. they're so focused on making their games ultra linear and playable as they want that they miss real glitches that make everyone's experience worse.

Mario Kart Super Circuit had tons of these type of glitches. Including online makes everyone cry about it. Like snaking, which was possible on MK64 and Double Dash, though not as overpowered.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

It sounds like they are talking about the (non)possibiity of releasing a fixed version at retail, a la Twilight Princess, not an online patch.

No plans to update the game? Is the guy talking about not releasing a retail v1.1 of the game - hence the comment about the "original release" of the game? Or is he completely ruling out a patch that would apply to all copies of the game?

I get the feeling that the guy misunderstood the question for some reason.

I've never witnesed anyone doing the glitch in the GAF community but I've pretty much given up on playing it straight while in worldwide. The only way to stop losers from spamming the track unfortunately is just do the glitch yourself.

While I do feel bad when not everyone in the race takes advantage of it, eventually when the competitive advantage disappears people will stop picking it every race.

On a side note it's pretty satisfying when you don't do the glitch and still catch up with someone who did, teehee.

MK7 online was ruined for me due to the way the communities setup does its best to prevent getting full races together and quickly finding a race, Maku Wuhu being glitched is like the rotten cherry on top. Such a shame because the game is great.

daakusedo

I play in a small community where this race is rarely chosen (that's maybe the reason), but still, I really hope it can be fixed. Thinking that something as trivial can't or just make already too much time to be thrown away is depressing.

Instro

Ah yeah your right, now that I think about it I definitely remember the first 2, although I don't recall seeing them online. At least extremely rarely anyway. By comparison the Maka Wuhu glitch is extremely easy to pull off, works 100% of the time, doesn't require any items, and is guaranteed to be used when playing in a regular WW game. Only time I haven't seen the glitch being used on that map is when I'm playing it with the GAF community or friends.

Nairume

Banned
then how do you explain past games like The Wind Waker and Mario Kart Double Dash which had almost no glitches and their sequels on similar powered systems have become worse?

nintendo's QA is worse than before. they're so focused on making their games ultra linear and playable as they want that they miss real glitches that make everyone's experience worse.
We have video evidence of DD having exploitable glitches in this very thread.

fernoca

There were glitches and bugs in both of those games (Double Dash there are a few around in this thread too). Doesn't mean that they get a free pass; but goes to show that in the end nearly every game has a few. That they later patch them or not; it depends on how bad is the "damage" done to the game and the company rather than the hardware (since there are Xbox 360 and PS3 games that haven't been patched by developers; even when those system are more than capable and everything's set in place).

As pointed out already, the 3DS is more than capable to allow patches and even if Mario Kart 7 wasn't made with patches in mind it can still be patched through other means; even if it just quick download that overwrites the save data and locks/updates said glitch/bug (like in Zelda)

loosus

Banned
Why the hell is Nintendo releasing online games in 2011 and 2012 without patching ability? This is like going online with Windows 3.1 and thinking everything will be hunkey dorey.

wtf this looks like a glitch you'd do on MarioKart64. REALLY nintendo?
This is one thing that gets me is as shown in this thread Mario Kart games are infamous for these glitches/features/shortcuts. Surley the thing you would do is throw so many invisible checkpoints down on the course* to make it impossible to take advantage of shortcuts/features/bugs/missingnos as a safeguard...at least in online anyway (I think they're an interesting thing in time attack, though only as thier own category as it makes you yern for the days you had to drive an entire lap).

*-Wario's Gold Mine has one of these. Don't go past the spot you won't be getting your glitched lap.

If Nintendo fixes/patches something it should be the map voting system so people can't spam the same track over and over.
This always seemed daft too. They'll probably add it for Mario Karty 8 and make it so you can't spam random/don't care.

God forbid the original buyers have to clear a few MB (I'm sorry, "blocks") from their 2GB SD cards that came with the system!
Those 2GB SD cards are such low class it could cause loading screen issues with the games.

Yeah cause it's real hard to stop, turn around, and drive off the side.

Hey, those of us with the skills are doing hairpin turns there :p

In all seriousness though this is pretty inexcusable. The 3DS has been confirmed to support DLC so why not patching? Maka Wuhu is a great track too so it's a shame we can't enjoy it.

Frankfurt

Banned
Nintendo said:
There are no plans to update the game to remove this shortcut as doing so would create an unfair advantage for the users of the original release of the game.

Haha. Hahahaha. Oh, Nintendo.

fernoca

What is the reason that only some 3DS games support patching?
From what I remember, the actual patching thing was recently implemented in development kits; so guess that to use them that way the games need to be made with that in mind (and Mario Kart 7 was in development since... at least last year).

Before that, the "trick" was to use Spotpass, since the games programmed for it, read data stored either in the unit or the SD Card; same way that Nintendo, Tecmo an a few others release data/downloads through Spotpass.

The "Wii way" is/was apparently possible too (either release a channel that downloads/fixes data like in Zelda), or get the game online and download the required patch/update to continue (even if it was to fix issues with the offline campaign like in Conduit 2).

Ploid 3.0

Maybe they have gotten so used to the map that they only want to play on it. For Team Fortress 2 I only like to play on 2fort, when another map is picked I don't like it and want to stop playing.

Marlowe89

Yeah cause it's real hard to stop, turn around, and drive off the side.

And just to add to this, half of the time the glitch doesn't even trigger properly (at least in my experience, but maybe I'm just not precise enough). That's like pretty much the opposite of a skill-based game.

People like to whine about snaking, but at least that requires skill.

Nintendo are neanderthals on all matters online. I will not support their Wii U platform unless they smarten up (chances: unlikely).

loosus

Banned
Just read that Nintendo rep's response. Now that's some good shit.

"Are you preparing to release an update to the game?"

"Well, of course not! That wouldn't be fair because then we'd have two versions of the game! And we can't replace everyone's existing copy because the shipping charges would be outrageous! Check Nintendo Power in the coming months for sneak peeks and behind-the-scenes-footage of our official response to this problem!"

demolitio

It's kind of killed the fun of online to me since it's always being selected so I guess need to race against GAF only. It's absurd to have an online game with no ability to patch it as if shit like this doesn't happen with EVERY online game. QA can't possibly find every bug and there's always dipshits out there looking to ruin games for the hell of it so what did they expect?

I guess I'll be slow to getting any online game on 3DS so I can find out what inevitable glitches won't be fixed. Hopefully third parties will find a solution similar to server side patching in COD.

gogogow

The recent update to the 3DS eShop has added in the functionality for DLC, which would presumably also allow for patches. Mario Kart 7 probably just missed the cutoff.
That's rather strange. There are games released like just a week later and does support patching. I don't understand why they don't flip the "allow patches" switch to on for all games. I mean, what disadvantages could there be? If it doesn't need any patching, that's great, but if it does need it, like with MK7 then they can fix them.

Top Bottom