• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man dead after 'knife attack' in Woolwich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bo-Locks

No it doesn't. Just because they shouted "Allahu akbar", doesn't mean they attacked him for political aims. Labelling it a terrorist attack so quickly just spreads fear within the public, in reality the media have no clue why they attacked this guy.

Come on...

Everything points to it being a terrorist attack and shouting "Allahu akbar" while chopping a dudes head off is a fairly strong giveaway that it's a political/religiously motivated terrorist attack.

They attacked a soldier outside his barracks.
They nearly(?) decapitated him.
They told people to film it.
They waited for and then attacked the police.
They reportedly shouted "Allahu akbar" while attacking the man.

Come on...

Everything points to it being a terrorist attack and shouting "Allahu akbar" while chopping a dudes head off is a fairly strong giveaway that it's a political/religiously motivated terrorist attack.

Yep, they definitely know what they were doing

Hindle

Banned
The UK is way too lenient when it comes to Islamic extremism. More attacks like this will happen if they don't come down on the extremists.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
BBC = "Government is considering this an islamic terrorist attack"

Come on...

He was wearing casual clothing, reported to be wearing a "help for heroes" tshirt. How did they know he was a soldier? Could've just been a member of the public for all they know. Why not attack the base?

Been plenty of people who have been deapitated/nearly decapitated in attacks that haven't been terrorist attacks.

Find me another terrorist attack where the terrorists have stopped random people and asked them to film the/take pictures. Doesn't make any sense. Why wouldn't they attack those people?

When the guy who waited in a house and killed two cops was reported, it wasn't reported as a terrorist attack.

This should never be used to argue it is a terrorist attack. If the guy who ate that guys face in america shouted "Allahu akbar" whilst doing it, would that make him a terrorist?

Not saying it's not terrorism. Just don't think the media should report it as terrorism when there are a lot of unanswered questions around this, with some strange actions by the two who committed the attacks that don't fit in with other terrorist attacks.

"One witness, who declined to be named, tells Jasper Copping the attackers were "praying like it was a sacrifice" and "making people take videos"."

Definitely a terrorist attack.

Fuck those cunts. The government need to get serious about eradicating Islamic extremism and closing down madrassas and forcing Islamic people to integrate into society.

TheExodu5

Banned
"Mate ive seen alot of s*** im my time but that has to rank somewhere in the top 3. I couldn't believe my eyes. That was some movie s***.'

Seeing a man decapitated in front of your eyes ranks top 3? Really? What else has this guy seen?

ITV news just showed eyewitness camera phone footage of one of the murderers with hands covered in blood holding a blood covered knife and cleaver. It was spectacularly grim.

What should they do?

Shut down Islamic schools, shut down any kind of Sharia "community courts", force all Islamic immigrants to integrate into British society, forcibly break up ghettoes and deport radical preachers and tell Strasbourg to fuck off.

SpaceHobo

Banned
The UK is way too lenient when it comes to Islamic extremism. More attacks like this will happen if they don't come down on the extremists.

Lenient how ?

Shut down Islamic schools, shut down any kind of Sharia "community courts", force all Islamic immigrants to integrate into British society, forcibly break up ghettoes and deport radical preachers and tell Strasbourg to fuck off.

All faith schools or just Islamic ones ?

SmokyDave

Yes, they should. They should have years ago.

But, they won't.

RK9039

Wouldn't that needlessly escalate the tension even further?

Jburton

Banned
Weeeee, Al-Shabaab - Salafist jihadism.

Again, I never said they were not / could not be Islamic extremeist ...... you stated the UK were giving arms to those types of people in Syria (as if the rebels in Syria are all Islamic extremeists) and you are / were a dick for getting some joy from scoring points / making points from someones misery.

Wouldn't that needlessly escalate the tension even further?

Combat it with hard policing. Honestly if some Islamic people don't want to abide by the rules of this country then they really can go to a country that has Sharia law. I very rarely use the "Go back to where you came from" line but Britain is a great country and if people can't appreciate it for what it is and keep trying to live like they are in some third world country with ideals that don't match with our own then why are they have no business in being here. I would rather that we invite people from other countries to come here who won't do this shit.

Islamic extremists who use violence to get their way have no place in British society.

All faith schools or just Islamic ones ?

Islamic ones but also any school which teaches kids that women are shit and non-Islamic people are animals don't have a place in our society.

I, as a non-Christian, went to a Church of England school and got a great education from the state. No need to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Jordan

There is no way I would have gotten this close to a guy who just killed someone

If they were threatening you with the weapons in their hands then surely you would rather do as they say rather than be their next victim?

Absolutely disgusted by the whole thing.

Combat it with hard policing. Honestly if Islamic people don't want to abide by the rules of this country then they really can go to a country that has Sharia law. I very rarely use the "Go back to where you came from" line but Britain is a great country and if people can't appreciate it for what it is and keep trying to live like they are in some third world country with ideals that don't match with our own then why are they have no business in being here. I would rather that we invite people from other countries to come here who won't do this shit.

Islamic extremists who use violence to get their way have no place in British society.

Don't the vast majority of muslim people abide by the rules of this country? don't they have as much (if not more) distaste than the likes of you for for divisive maniacs like anjem choudhry? haven't a good number of attacks in the uk been foiled by intelligence from muslims?

i'm also curious to hear how "forced integration" would work.

Polari

Combat it with hard policing. Honestly if some Islamic people don't want to abide by the rules of this country then they really can go to a country that has Sharia law. I very rarely use the "Go back to where you came from" line but Britain is a great country and if people can't appreciate it for what it is and keep trying to live like they are in some third world country with ideals that don't match with our own then why are they have no business in being here. I would rather that we invite people from other countries to come here who won't do this shit.

Islamic ones. Any school which teaches kids that women are shit and non-Islamic people are animals don't have a place in our society.

I, as a non-Christian, went to a Church of England school and got a great education from the state. No need to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Going to a country, and attempting to impose their will and customs on said country? This sounds familiar...

RK9039

Combat it with hard policing. Honestly if Islamic people don't want to abide by the rules of this country then they really can go to a country that has Sharia law. I very rarely use the "Go back to where you came from" line but Britain is a great country and if people can't appreciate it for what it is and keep trying to live like they are in some third world country with ideals that don't match with our own then why are they have no business in being here. I would rather that we invite people from other countries to come here who won't do this shit.

Should we completely generalize the entire Muslim community in the UK due to the actions of some?

I'll ask again, wouldn't "hard policing", as you put it, closing down community courts, religious schools, further escalate the tension? Wouldn't that anger people who are actually moderate and aren't "radicalized"?

Islamic ones. Any school which teaches kids that women are shit and non-Islamic people are animals don't have a place in our society.

So you're saying just Islamic Schools?

How do we know for sure this is what they teach in these schools?

hym

Banned

There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

-Henry David Thoreau

Islam is NOT to blame for this, this is Salafism.

Don't the vast majority of muslim people abide by the rules of this country? don't they have as much (if not more) distaste than the likes of you for for divisive maniacs like anjem choudhry? haven't a good number of attacks in the uk been foiled by intelligence from muslims?

i'm also curious to hear how "forced integration" would work.

Yes, they do. They wouldn't have a problem with these measures because most are integrated into our society. It's the extremists who call Jobseekers Allowance, Jihad Seekers Allowance that would have a problem and if they left the country then it would be a better place.

English lessons for all immigrants, an equivalency exam before granting citizenship, forcing the ghettoes apart, closing down radical Mosques that preach Sharia. No Islamic schools so that Muslim kids go to school with everyone. No special treatment.

Going to a country, and attempting to impose their will and customs on said country? This sounds familiar...

Please don't start the colonialism argument in this thread. If you want to have that discussion make a different thread.

Absurd. I don't think you know what you're talking about, with respect.

Yes, because our softly, softly approach clearly works.

Those courts I agree with.

The courts are completely arbitrary and deal with civili issues like divorce and financial disputes. The only legitimacy they have is for those who go to these meetings. An Imam could establish a "shariah court" in his living room using nothing but a sofa. The sole authority here is the word of these elders. What is there to shut down?

Gawge

Two unstable deranged nutters, who would do something crazy like this - absolutely do not represent anyone other than themselves.

To start talking about 'us' and 'them' is quite frightening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom