• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man dead after 'knife attack' in Woolwich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bo-Locks

What should they do?

Sort of along the lines of what Zomg said, but the British government has got its whole approach to integrating communities, particularly Muslim communities that contain undercurrents of hatred, wrong, imo, and it's all Labour's doing. It has just sort of been left to fester, and that's where the "lenient" viewpoint comes from.

Stop pandering to the preachers and Imams, and stop looking to the Mosques for direction on how to integrate Muslim communities. That's a fundamental flaw imo. Look to the more secular elements of the community. Deport the radical preachers. Crack down on Islamic schools. And of course work with the police and other branches a lot closer. There's a lot that could be done, imo.

And it goes without saying that it's a very small minority of the Islamic population that harbour extremism in their community, but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be dealt with.

Not saying it's not terrorism. Just don't think the media should report it as terrorism when there are a lot of unanswered questions around this, with some strange actions by the two who committed the attacks that don't fit in with other terrorist attacks.

I agree that this is a strange/unique attack and there are lots of unanswered questions. I don't know what media organisation you're talking about, but the BBC are not labelling this as a definite terrorist attack. The BBC reporters and presenters are being very careful in saying things like "this could be a terrorist attack", "It seems as if Downing Street is treating this as a terrorist attck" etc.

All the signs point that way.

SpaceHobo

Banned
Yes, they do. They wouldn't have a problem with these measures because most are integrated into our society. It's the extremists who call Jobseekers Allowance, Jihad Seekers Allowance that would have a problem and if they left the country then it would be a better place.

English lessons for all immigrants, an equivalency exam before granting citizenship, forcing the ghettoes apart, closing down radical Mosques that preach Sharia. No Islamic schools so that Muslim kids go to school with everyone. .

EDL , right ?

This is some proper horseshit.

kitch9

Banned
Should we completely generalize the entire Muslim community in the UK due to the actions of some?

I'll ask again, wouldn't "hard policing", as you put it, closing down community courts, religious schools, further escalate the tension? Wouldn't that anger people who are actually moderate and aren't "radicalized"?

So you're saying just Islamic Schools?

How do we know for sure this is what they teach in these schools?

Well the vast majority of Muslims are sane and happy to integrate anyway. We just need to fuck off the wankers.

Absolutely sickening.

also

" ‏@Official_EDL 37m
EDL leader Tommy Robinson on way to Woolwich now, Take to the streets peeps ENOUGH IS ENOUGH"

Oh dear....tool.

Meadows

Banned
Great, because this situation really needs the Tommy Robinson sprinkles on it

My money's on some Boko Haram connection

xbhaskarx

bk4nxu9cyaacef3.jpglatsu21.jpg

wtf man...
Definitely top three

TCRS

Banned
Nigerian?

uff, don't know.

Sounds like british born as well. And doesn't look the islamic type at all more like a typical black youth from some estate.

And people are just talking to him while he is holding a knife and machete, even arguing apparently. I would have run as fast as I could.

Bizarre.

RedShift

Yes, they do. They wouldn't have a problem with these measures because most are integrated into our society. It's the extremists who call Jobseekers Allowance, Jihad Seekers Allowance that would have a problem and if they left the country then it would be a better place.

English lessons for all immigrants, an equivalency exam before granting citizenship, forcing the ghettoes apart, closing down radical Mosques that preach Sharia. No Islamic schools so that Muslim kids go to school with everyone. No special treatment.

Take it you're going to be shutting down CofE schools as well? And aren't there Jewish schools as well? That'll go down well.

kharma45

The courts are completely arbitrary and deal with civili issues like divorce and financial disputes. The only legitimacy they have is for those who go to these meetings. An Imam could establish a "shariah court" in his living room using nothing but a sofa. The sole authority here is the word of these elders. What is there to shut down?

Which should be done through official courts not these unregulated, unchecked farces.

Nicktendo86

I'm with zomg on this one. I would go further actually as close all faith schools, religion can fuck off.

Edit: saw the footage on itv, first thing I have ever seen that has made me want to throw up.

SteveWD40

I'm with zomg on this one. I would go further actually as close all faith schools, religion can fuck off.

Organised religion can yeah, I am agnostic theist but the idea of "hate those guys, their sky wizard is different!" has no place outside of the third world.

Detox

By breaking up the ghettoes Zomg just means allow gentrification to enable the City to encroach on bordering areas and move low-income residents somewhere else.

PJV3

Edit: saw the footage on itv, first thing I have ever seen that has made me want to throw up.

I can go along with shutting all religious schools.

Gawge

Those videos are weird. Why did people stick around with a dead guy in the road, with the guy who has a machete walking towards them?

If by this you are advocating the Muslim community as a whole to be targeted in such a way, then how would this lessen tensions and impede radicalisation? Would it not merely inflame and accelerate it?

It's because it's the Islamic community that has a problem with extremism that the community leaders have not done enough to fix within the community and whatever the government are doing isn't working either.

SmokyDave

If by this you are advocating the Muslim community as a whole to be targeted in such a way, then how would this lessen tensions and impede radicalisation? Would it not merely inflame and accelerate it?
Unfortunately the community needs targeting. We can dance around and pretend it doesn't, but it does. I'd hope that people would understand and help to oust the radical elements from their midst.

Those videos are weird. Why did people stick around with a dead guy in the road, with the guy who has a machete walking towards them?

Yeah everyone seems so calm. What confuses me the most is that woman seemingly laying down next to the murdered soldier. I'm starting to think I'm seeing things.

Bo-Locks

Take it you're going to be shutting down CofE schools as well? And aren't there Jewish schools as well? That'll go down well.

I know this was for Zomg, but since I expressed similar thoughts, yes. The idea of any religious schools receiving state funds is abhorrent and should be stopped.

Islam in general is a much more hardline and uncompromising religion than Christianity, and this is reflected in the way in which some elements of the education and preachings are allowed to continue, without much scrutiny. Look at Richard Dawkins' documentary on Islamic schools on youtube and tell me that should not only be allowed to continue, but to also receive state funds. It's absurd.

Wes

venison crêpe
Yeah everyone seems so calm. What confuses me the most is that woman seemingly laying down next to the murdered soldier. I'm starting to think I'm seeing things.

There were reports a group of women surrounded the victim so that the two assailants would stop attacking him.

Unfortunately the community needs targeting. We can dance around and pretend it doesn't, but it does. I'd hope that people would understand and help to oust the radical elements from their midst.

I agree in some regards, but the problem is that people see millions of people and push them all into the same community - not realising that like themselves, they are individuals ultimately responsible for their own actions.

An innocent who happens to share the same 'religion' (because of course, anyone can lay claim to subscribing to a particular faith) does not warrant the inevitable harassment and anger directed towards them which I feel is very likely unfortunately.

It's because it's the Islamic community that has a problem with extremism that the community leaders have not done enough to fix within the community and whatever the government are doing isn't working either.

There are a couple of million of Muslims in the UK and by those odds, terrorism was always to be likely. Surely you can understand nothing can be done to guarantee that acts of violence like this be prevented? Everyone would be for tangible, effective measures to stop these things from happening, or at the very least lessen the rate they may happen but there is no logic in adopting broad sweeping measures that would only serve to perpetuate the victimisation complex amongst Muslims that would not make us any safer but probably lead to real community tensions.

So, the entire community is at fault to some degree for not doing enough to prevent even a single Muslim out of +2million to commit an act of terror? I consider you a reasonable person, so I'm genuinely confused as to your thinking. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something?

PJV3

I'm not sure how the community is supposed to oust anyone, people are allowed to be obnoxious arseholes. Most muslims are too busy like the rest of us to be on terrorist watch.

There were reports a group of women surrounded the victim so that the two assailants would stop attacking him.

Oh right! Well they've got more balls than I have I would've shat myself, ran for miles and never looked back.

Pretty high, unfortunately.

http://maps.met.police.uk/ (search Woolwich)

Not as bad as it used to be though, lol... =/ (lived here all my life, am about a 5 minute walk from the killing)

Cheers mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom