• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man Edits Wind Waker so 3-Year Old Daughter Doesn't Feel 2nd Class

vidcons

Banned
But Vidcons, you're being so insensitive! What about people who don't share your fantasies and want to have their heritage/culture/appearance represented in this media?!

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Majority of hero's in video games is male. Finding a GOOD female hero in a game is harder. If you were a girl who were to see only males be hero's, you might come to the conclusion that only males can be hero's. This might lead to you feeling a bit sad or wishing their were more female hero's. The same can apply to someone who is not white. When a character is similar to you biologically that you can play as, it can lead yto you feeling good that you don't have to be generic, steroid using, white guy 65332.

thats odd. i dont seem to have that issue. i cant think of anyone that i know who does either.

Look at the flipside of it. Would your enjoyment of a game increase if you're more immersed in the main character? Generally, yeah, I'd say that's true.

so because im not white, i dont get the full enjoyment out of playing final fantasy tactics as a white man can?

Rubius

Look at the flipside of it. Would your enjoyment of a game increase if you're more immersed in the main character? Generally, yeah, I'd say that's true.

This only work on games that allow you to make your own hero. I do not think that Link is me, Link is Link. But in Fallout, I am the guy. In Diablo, I am that guy.

freddy

Banned
Most of the male characters in games suck as well. I can't count how many times I've played a variant of Bruce Willis in Die Hard.

kyoya

Gee, I thought anyone could be Link. Maybe the Dad should have just shown the girl this short film. Better yet he could digitally alter the face of the young actress who plays Link and paste his daughter's face over her's:

ESCAPE (2012)
Danni makes bad grades, has no friends, and lives in a broken home. Her only choice is to escape into her video game (Zelda).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B9ytjJKJPE

Kazerei

Banned
so because im not white, i dont get the full enjoyment out of playing final fantasy tactics as a white man can?

It's impossible to compare how person A enjoys a character compared to person B, it's way too subjective.

However, I'm saying if you could customize your character, you might get more enjoyment out of it. Is that so crazy?

This only work on games that allow you to make your own hero. I do not think that Link is me, Link is Link. But in Fallout, I am the guy. In Diablo, I am that guy.

A 3-year-old has a powerful imagination. Besides, the father was able to customize the hero to a certain extent. So, yay.

Parallax

Most of the male characters in games suck as well. I can't count how many times I've played a variant of Bruce Willis in Die Hard.

what games are you playing that arent die hard arcade? i want to get in on some of that

vidcons

Banned
Vidcons, sockpuppets work better when you log into them.

I thought about being really negative about how you're the guy behind The Word Game of This Generation but decided to like, give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you missed the meaning of that whole post spree.

WaterChroma

Neo Member
thats odd. i dont seem to have that issue. i cant think of anyone that i know who does either.

You can get full enjoyment from a game regardless of the characters gender and race. I probably should have noted in my previous response that for some people, it helps them appreciate a game better even regardless of race and gender. An example would be me appreciating the story of pickles the fire cat. I named my late cat after pickles, the fire cat so I have some special appreciation for that story.

Jackson

I thought about being really negative about how you're the guy behind The Word Game of This Generation but decided to like, give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you missed the meaning of that whole post spree.

Nah, I was just trolling you dude.

But now you've gone and taken the highroad and made me feel bad about the troll. :(

Nicktals

Banned
For a three year old? Ugh. Pure hyper-sensitivity and projection.

Play something like koronipa. Tell your daughter the marble is a female. She's fucking three. Everything that person is doing is a projection on them.

How far is his daughter going to get in WW without his help? How much of the dialogue can she read or understand without his help? Just....ugh....

EDIT: I mean, shit, it'd be better to just read the words on screen and tell your daughter that no one knows the real secret, but link is actually a girl. It would emphasize the point you were trying to make even more if he bonded over a secret no one else knew. She's threeeeeeee.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Male hegemeny in vodeogames is pervasive enough to warrant this action. I approve. Gender as identification should be an option in more games.

Kazerei

Banned

Play something like koronipa. Tell your daughter the marble is a female. She's fucking three. Everything that person is doing is a projection on them.

How far is his daughter going to get in WW without his help? How much of the dialogue can she read or understand without his help? Just....ugh....

EDIT: I mean, shit, it'd be better to just read the words on screen and tell your daughter that no one knows the real secret, but link is actually a girl. It would emphasize the point you were trying to make even more if he bonded over a secret no one else knew. She's threeeeeeee.

It'd be better if you just read the article.

Gummb

Seriously? You have a problem with this? Unfortunately, gender is a level identification, one where males are more dominately represented as heros in vodeogames than females. If the father wants to put an early sense of gender empowerment in his games for his daughter, there is no "ugh" about it. It's an excellent way for a girl to build confidence. There is NOTHING wrong here.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Twilight Princess' Link has taken off his shirt. And games have made numerous references to his being male. God, is this the new Sheik?

Girls arent allowed to be boobless?
Again Link doesnt reveal the gender its other characters.....manuals and text included who are forcing this onto the character.

Give link a chance and we can settle this properly.

Nicktals

Banned
Seriously? You have a problem with this? Unfortunately, gender is a level identification, one where males are more dominately represented as heros in vodeogames than females. If the father wants to put an early sense of gender empowerment in his games for his daughter, there is no "ugh" about it. It's an excellent way for a girl to build confidence. There is NOTHING wrong here.

I have a problem with people who have to go to these kind of lengths. They're unnecessarily stretching. It's really fucking easy to make a three year old feel that a girl can be a hero, and do anything they want. YOU TELL THEM. You don't spend hours upon hours to hex hack a video game that you're reading to her anyways.

EDIT: To clarify, the girl is essentially watching a movie. She is either watching her Dad play a game, or is being told what to do by her Dad (and being read everything by her dad.) I feel like ad-libbing the sex changes, and using the time he used to hex-hack to instead, maybe, read her a fucking book that empowers girls, might be a better use of his time. She's three.

Kazerei

Banned
I started to, and then I read the line "to make this process smoother".

It's easier to hex-hack a game than to ad-lib 'woman' over 'man' when reading out loud to your THREE YEAR OLD?

Yes, it's easier to read off a script than ad-lib. Besides, she's at the age when she's learning to read. Better to have the script match what he's saying.

stupei

So the enjoyment of a game diminishes if you can't visually immerse yourself in said character? Minority gamers don't seem to have that issue.

I'm not sure why you keep asking these questions that don't really have anything to do with my responses.

I'm not interested in commenting on each individual's personal experience of gaming and whether or not it is the "right" or "wrong" way to feel about a protagonist. I am talking about the clearly intent behind allowing the player to choose a different name for Link. I'm not really sure how anyone could argue that this isn't obviously intended as a means of allowing you to personalize the gameplay experience by entering your own name.

As I said, whether you did this yourself or not is inconsequential. The option was there, as intended, but if a little girl enters her name the game does not acknowledge this possibility. She can't be herself and also be the hero, but a little boy in the exact same circumstances can.

Visual or appearance doesn't come into it at all. No gamer alive has Link's ears or fashion sense.

Nicktals

Banned
Yes, it's easier to read off a script than ad-lib. Besides, she's at the age when she's learning to read. Better to have the script match what he's saying.

You're kidding, right? Because replacing one word for another isn't really ad-libbing, and is something a parent, or anyone who has taken care of kids, learns very quickly.

I get that it's easier to read a word than replace it with a very similar word. But replacing a word with a similar word is much simpler than hacking a video game and changing every gender reference to the opposite. That is by no means simpler.

EDIT: And if she's on the cusp of reading, wouldn't his time be better spent teaching her to read a....book? Instead of a hacked video game? Why not re-write the crucible, make the protagonist a girl? He could do it for all sorts of works of art! 'Call me...Carly'

Kazerei

Banned
You're kidding, right? Because replacing one word for another isn't really ad-libbing, and is something a parent, or anyone who has taken care of kids, learns very quickly.

I get that it's easier to read a word than replace it with a very similar word. But replacing a word with a similar word is much simpler than hacking a video game and changing every gender reference to the opposite. That is by no means simpler.

Well the father felt the reading would go smoother if he modded the game, so he did.

I'm not sure why you're getting so worked up about it. It's his time and effort.

EDIT: And if she's on the cusp of reading, wouldn't his time be better spent teaching her to read a....book? Instead of a hacked video game? Why not re-write the crucible, make the protagonist a girl? He could do it for all sorts of works of art! 'Call me...Carly'

What's wrong with reading to her from a videogame? Games are great 'cause she can spend time controlling it too. Your complaints about his parenting just come off as whiny.

Gummb

I have a problem with people who have to go to these kind of lengths. They're unnecessarily stretching. It's really fucking easy to make a three year old feel that a girl can be a hero, and do anything they want. YOU TELL THEM. You don't spend hours upon hours to hex hack a video game that you're reading to her anyways.

EDIT: To clarify, the girl is essentially watching a movie. She is either watching her Dad play a game, or is being told what to do by her Dad (and being read everything by her dad.) I feel like ad-libbing the sex changes, and using the time he used to hex-hack to instead, maybe, read her a fucking book that empowers girls, might be a better use of his time. She's three.
I don't know why you keep throwing around the fact that she's 3, because gender is constructed from an early age. If the dad places importance on vodeogames and has a daughter that watches him, it's cool that he recognizes the double male identifications that go along with that and acts to remedy it. Honestly, calm down and know that there is nothing wrong with something like this. Maybe you wont do it, but someone has, and that is just fine.

Gummb

The father clearly places importance in vodeogames, and not on books. His time would be better spent altering his gaming experience to empowering his daughter than not. It's OK for something like this to happen. What's the problem???

Parallax

I'm not sure why you keep asking these questions that don't really have anything to do with my responses.

I'm not interested in commenting on each individual's personal experience of gaming and whether or not it is the "right" or "wrong" way to feel about a protagonist. I am talking about the clearly intent behind allowing the player to choose a different name for Link. I'm not really sure how anyone could argue that this isn't obviously intended as a means of allowing you to personalize the gameplay experience by entering your own name.

As I said, whether you did this yourself or not is inconsequential. The option was there, as intended, but if a little girl enters her name the game does not acknowledge this possibility. She can't be herself and also be the hero, but a little boy in the exact same circumstances can.

Visual or appearance doesn't come into it at all. No gamer alive has Link's ears or fashion sense.

how does my question not address your post? you use two quotes where people couldnt get absorbed into said material due to an issue such as the character being a young boy.

i highly doubt that link is a creation to slight anyone, intentionally or otherwise. he is character like any other. if a man feels the need to change something for the sake of his daughter, thats fine, but to say that a little girl cant be herself and link is accurate, because neither can a little boy, or a grown man for that matter. he is a fictional character, and you should be able to sympathise with said character, but there is no need to try to see yourself as him.

Nicktals

Banned
I don't know why you keep throwing around the fact that she's 3, because gender is constructed from an early age. If the dad places importance on vodeogames and has a daughter that watches him, it's cool that he recognizes the double male identifications that go along with that and acts to remedy it. Honestly, calm down and know that there is nothing wrong with something like this. Maybe you wont do it, but someone has, and that is just fine.

I throw around the fact that she's 3 because three-year-olds are easily manipulated. You don't have to spend hours hacking a game. You just tell them. Spend those hours cooking, cleaning, laundering, and whatever stereotypes you're afraid your daughter might learn about women.

Well the father felt the reading would go smoother if he modded the game, so he did.

I'm not sure why you're getting so worked up about it. It's his time and effort.

And if this person was so invested in his daughters enrichment, and her three year old brain's intake, you don't think that time could have been better spent?

I also think you both should think about why you ever even read this story. Why is this news? Do you think the journalistic entity stumbled upon a household where they saw a young child playing a version of WW that didn't quite look right? Or was it someone who spent a ton of time on something and then sent it to as many media outlets as he could? What was his motivation for that?

The father clearly places importance in vodeogames, and not on books. His time would be better spent altering his gaming experience to empowering his daughter than not. It's OK for something like this to happen. What's the problem???

His time would be better spent trying to enjoy, and teach his daughter to enjoy, books. The number of female-empowering books he could have read to his child in the time it took him to do this is, well, quite numerous.

I also think you both should think about why you ever even read this story. Why is this news? Do you think the journalistic entity stumbled upon a household where they saw a young child playing a version of WW that didn't quite look right? Or was it someone who spent a ton of time on something and then sent it to as many media outlets as he could? What was he motivation for that?

To highlight an issue in game development and to, hopefully, by spurring discussion on said issue, encourage developers to at least include the option of allowing the player to choose the gender of their hero?

It's weird to argue that his time could have been better spent, as if this was a review via effeciency expert panel. Sure, maybe his time could have been better spent. But those arguments seem to come from a place that assumes THIS ONE THING is the only thing he does for his daughter that is special/interesting/caring.

To which I again ask - how hard is it to believe that a guy who takes the time to hex-edit Wind Waker so that his daughter can be more fully immersed in the game ISN'T ALSO reading/helping/teaching/supporting his daughter in other ways?

Nicktals

Banned
To highlight an issue in game development and to, hopefully, by spurring discussion on said issue, encourage developers to at least include the option of allowing the player to choose the gender of their hero?

Itsa me, Maria!

EDIT: And yeah, you answered my question. None of the reasons really have anything to do with his daughter. If the daughter's ability to feel like a hero depends on the media she consumes, he has failed.

Kazerei

Banned
And if this person was so invested in his daughters enrichment, and her three year old brain's intake, you don't think that time could have been better spent?

I also think you both should think about why you ever even read this story. Why is this news? Do you think the journalistic entity stumbled upon a household where they saw a young child playing a version of WW that didn't quite look right? Or was it someone who spent a ton of time on something and then sent it to as many media outlets as he could? What was his motivation for that?

Sharing your interest with your kid is a great way to spend time together, even if she's too young to fully participate.

Why is this news? I dunno, he blogged about it and Ars Technica reported on it. Why do you care?

Mumei

How am I sexist? I'm a pretty hardcore equalist. I dont get where you got the sexist vibe.

I'm sort of amused right now; I saw this post where you identified as an equalist and I thought, "Dear. He's probably one of those antifeminist types that thinks that feminism is misandrist." And so I go to the next page of the topic, and lo!

Find me a Feminist group that work so that Males have the same rights as female when it comes to childs.
Or a Feminist group that push for more days of Parental for the male when a kid is born.
Or a Feminist group that push for mens to get jobs in "Women" jobs like Waitress, Nurses or Boarding agents?
Feminist groups do not prone equality as they only push on one side. And the word Feminist also prevent them to ever push on the other side.

How amusing. On the subject, however, you might find reading this topic interesting and quite possibly educational.

EDIT: And yeah, you answered my question. None of the reasons really have anything to do with his daughter. If the daughter's ability to feel like a hero depends on the media she consumes, he has failed.

I didn't answer your question, I asked a different question - I don't necessarily know if that's the case, but it seems like it could be a decent side-effect from his writing about the subject/spurring discussion upon the subject.

It seems pretty specious/hasty to declare this parent a failure based on the fact he took the time to modify a video-game to make their playing it together a more immersive experience. To use the previous (perfect) example, would you call Peter Falk's character in the Princess Bride a failure as a granpa because he modified the story he read to Fred Savage in The Princess Bride?

Nicktals

Banned
Sharing your interest with your kid is a great way to spend time together, even if she's too young to fully participate.

Why is this news? I dunno, he blogged about it and Ars Technica reported on it. Why do you care?

It is. I've played many games with three year olds. You get to make up the story!

I assume he alerted some media outlets of his blog. And I feel like the hyper-sensitive people tend to do things like that. I find it ridiculous. The fact that Link is a boy is worth hours of reconciliation? Why?

Nicktals

Banned
I didn't answer your question, I asked a different question - I don't necessarily know if that's the case, but it seems like it could be a decent side-effect from his writing about the subject/spurring discussion upon the subject.

It seems pretty specious/hasty to declare this parent a failure based on the fact he took the time to modify a video-game to make their playing it together a more immersive experience. To use the previous (perfect) example, would you call Peter Falk's character in the Princess Bride a failure as a granpa because he modified the story he read to Fred Savage in The Princess Bride?

I didn't say he was a failure. there was a condition in place. IF he feels like he has to go to these lengths to make his daughter feel a certain way (by, in my mind, manipulating a piece of art), then he's failed. Because there are so many ways to make your daughter feel like a hero, and believe that any woman can be one, that it seems like an attention grab to spend this amount of time and then send it to media.

EDIT: They could have watched the princess bride 100 times, and the daughter would have gained WAY more from it, in the time it will take to change, and play through, WW.

Kazerei

Banned
It is. I've played many games with three year olds. You get to make up the story!

Or you could relay the story in the game, but with some changes...

I assume he alerted some media outlets of his blog. And I feel like the hyper-sensitive people tend to do things like that. I find it ridiculous. The fact that Link is a boy is worth hours of reconciliation? Why?

Why do you assume that? So you can continue to criticize him? If that makes you feel better, go ahead.

Nekofrog

Banned
How is there any response in this thread other than "cool, girls need some positive role models in videogames too!" ?

Seriously? How?

I didn't say he was a failure. there was a condition in place. IF he feels like he has to go to these lengths to make his daughter feel a certain way (in my mind, manipulating a piece of art), then he's failed. Because there are so many ways to make your daughter feel like a hero, and believe that any woman can be one, that it seems like an attention grab to spend this amount of time and then send it to media.

EDIT: They could have watched the princess bride 100 times, and the daughter would have gained WAY more from it, in the time it will take to change, and play through, WW.

it's a fucking videogame, not picasso

IF he feels like he has to go to these lengths to make his daughter feel a certain way (in my mind, manipulating a piece of art), then he's failed.

So you would then classify the Peter Falk character in the Princess Bride as failing the Fred Savage character for selectively editing/manipulating the story he's reading?

Because there are so many ways to make your daughter feel like a hero, and believe that any woman can be one, that it seems like an attention grab to spend this amount of time and then send it to media.

Why would you assume that the other many ways aren't being implemented by this guy as well? If he's going to the effort to do this one thing for his daughter, why wouldn't he do other things? What about spending a couple days in his off time running through the hex-editor precludes him from doing other things? How do you think this will prevent the daughter from being exposed to traditional male hero fantasies? How do you believe that the father himself will not be cast in the role of traditional male hero at some point BY this daughter?

Is your issue with his endeavor SOLELY with the fact he wrote about it, and then told other people what he did? Do you generally disagree with the idea of giving children the option to choose the gender of the heroes in their games? If you don't, why would you disagree with an action that sheds light on that issue, and potentially could spur developers to include the option in future games?

Kazerei

Banned
I didn't say he was a failure. there was a condition in place. IF he feels like he has to go to these lengths to make his daughter feel a certain way (by, in my mind, manipulating a piece of art), then he's failed. Because there are so many ways to make your daughter feel like a hero, and believe that any woman can be one, that it seems like an attention grab to spend this amount of time and then send it to media.

Yes, there are so many ways to make your daughter feel like a hero. One of these ways would be to change a story so the hero is a girl.

You act like he doesn't watch movies with her, or read her books, or whatever. Nope. He spent all his time modding Wind Waker, and that's all he's got.

The father did something nice for his daughter, and you're trying to make him out to be a failure. Keep trying. You're not convincing anyone.

Nicktals

Banned
How is there any response in this thread other than "cool, girls need some positive role models in videogames too!" ?

Seriously? How?

it's a fucking videogame, not picasso

So, where does this argument end? Call me Carli? A parent should be able to empower their children without their view of themselves being manipulated by media (books, movies, video games, television, etc...)

The media should be consumed as it is made, and dissected for how it is made. If the daughter is of age and intelligent enough to read anything into gender roles, then she is intelligent enough to discuss and understand those themes.

Because this is a non-issue. You replace one word with another, and you're done. You don't make a spectacle of it.

It just seems to me like building the Sistine Chapel out of Legos, in order to teach your child the natures of architecture. No, you're doing it because you love legos and you have too much time on your hands.

Apparently, a father who cares so deeply about this aspect of his child's upbringing that he goes to the trouble (though not an extraordinary amount) of working on a personal project he knows his daughter will enjoy and which will lead to more bonding time between them is a bad parent. He'd be a better parent if he took the path of least resistance and just did everything the easy way. Also, his working on this project for a few weeks entirely precludes him from ever doing anything else with his child in the future.

The mind boggles.

Nekofrog

Banned
So, where does this argument end? Call me Carli? A parent should be able to empower their children without their view of themselves being manipulated by media (books, movies, video games, television, etc...)

The media should be consumed as it is made, and dissected for how it is made. If the daughter is of age and intelligent enough to read anything into gender roles, then she is intelligent enough to discuss and understand those themes.

Because this is a non-issue. You replace one word with another, and you're done. You don't make a spectacle of it.

It just seems to me like building the Sistine Chapel out of Legos, in order to teach your child the natures of architecture. No, you're doing it because you love legos and you have too much time on your hands.

well, good thing you are around to tell us what his intentions REALLY were behind his entire scheme, man. thanks! i am informed! i guess he doesn't actually love his daughter and just wanted the media attention! what an asshole, bro! thanks for opening my eyes.

was it someone who spent a ton of time on something and then sent it to as many media outlets as he could? What was his motivation for that?

This is what irked me from the very beginning. The father may have innocently done this for his daughter for no reason except to make it easier to read, but where is the story in that? Why would this be news on the internet? It seems the father not only has a novice grasps on the idea of myth and metaphor but the person who made this into news, maybe the father or maybe someone else, may also have a misguided agenda because of the fathers inability to understand the basic idea of a legend.

Again, there is a the idea of taking the story format of legends such as "the legend of zelda" as a whole and not only its parts. You are not just Link, you are all the characters as each character is a representation of different parts of the inner self. So yes it really doesn't matter if link is a girl at the beginning but that would be taking the story as literally rather than metaphorically.

The father should teach by doing, by showing that he can relate to a female character just as his daughter should be able to relate to a male character, changing the gender might show that the father is lacking in the understanding of this trait.

Those that may be asking for more female characters in video games is warranted, because the story tellers in video games cannot seem to empathise in a feminine view of a female character and base it solely on their masculine view. However, for women wanting female characters in video games because they don't want to be a male character just because you may be a girl is also treading into a misguided way of thinking especially as it might deal with the idea that you may not be able to empathise with a your own personal masculine side.

If the game allows a choice then pick or make what you want. However, if the story has some form of substance as in told in the form of a legend myth or parable then people will have to understand that the gender choices are made for a reason and thus the story itself should be taken as a whole, as the whole story with characters places and events will represents the human condition in its encompassing form.

Nicktals

Banned
So you would then classify the Peter Falk character in the Princess Bride as failing the Fred Savage character for selectively editing/manipulating the story he's reading?

Sure, why not. Is he unable to pass along the same information without misleading?

Why would you assume that the other many ways aren't being implemented by this guy as well? If he's going to the effort to do this one thing for his daughter, why wouldn't he do other things? What about spending a couple days in his off time running through the hex-editor precludes him from doing other things? How do you think this will prevent the daughter from being exposed to traditional male hero fantasies? How do you believe that the father himself will not be cast in the role of traditional male hero at some point BY this daughter?

Is your issue with his endeavor SOLELY with the fact he wrote about it, and then told other people what he did? Do you generally disagree with the idea of giving children the option to choose the gender of the heroes in their games? If you don't, why would you disagree with an action that sheds light on that issue, and potentially could spur developers to include the option in future games?

I assume this because he's hyper sensitive. Why else would he care if Link is a boy? I guarantee the daughter doesn't care, unless he has failed in his quest to keep gender roles our of it before this point.

And I mostly disagree because if that was his real issue his time could have been spent MUCH more efficiently.

Top Bottom