• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man Edits Wind Waker so 3-Year Old Daughter Doesn't Feel 2nd Class

kodt

Banned
She is 3 and shouldn't be playing video games anyway. Especially a game like Wind Waker, there is no way she can comprehend what is going on or solve the puzzles on her own.

Edit: she is probably just watching him play.. whatever.

jimi_dini

The fact that people are consistently bringing up Beyond Good and Evil should be telling us something.

Granted "T" is worse than "E", but then people seem to forget that "E" for everyone means 6+.

Titles rated E (Everyone) have content that may be suitable for ages 6 and older. Titles in this category may contain minimal cartoon, fantasy or mild violence, and/or infrequent use of mild language.

"EC" (Early Childhood) would be the right one (ages 3 and up)

So the enjoyment of a game diminishes if you can't visually immerse yourself in said character? Minority gamers don't seem to have that issue.

Indeed. I fact I have the opposite issue; I find white males (being one myself) utterly boring as characters by default, and always welcome the chance to play as anything else. My Shephard is female (that was even before I heard the voice acting for each), my characters in MMOs are never human males, and so on. Of course, these may be bad examples as many games that let you choose your gender and species ultimately have it be little more than a cosmetic difference or slightly stat variance, but hey.

I think people bring up Beyong G&E because it's the most similar example to Zelda and features a female heroine. Also, it's good for a 3 years old. Though i guess he could get Rhapsody, or Atelier Annie.

Cornet, Shion Uzuki, Samus, Regina (and most SH heroines), April Ryan, Aya Brea, Aigis, Monica, Chris, Jill Valentine, Terra and Celes and another bunch of females from various jrpg (Such Annie from Atelier, Riza from Rudra, Virginia from WA3, some DQ games), Heather, Maya Amano, Lyn, Aqua, April Ryan, Yuna, Lenneth and Silmeria/Alicia, Ayame... the first names that come up in my head.

You may argue that not all of them are good or whatever, the point is that there are a lot of female heroines around.

I think the point is that many of them are part of an ensemble cast, with at least a male sharing the spotlight with them (and almost invariably getting the cover shot). Not saying there's anything inherently wrong with that scenario, but the thing is the utter scarcity of female main characters that carry the weight of protagonist singlehandedly.

She is 3 and shouldn't be playing video games anyway. Especially a game like Wind Waker, there is no way she can comprehend what is going on or solve the puzzles on her own.

That is the most outrageously wrong reason to forbid a children from playing anything. I understand not letting a child near it if there's questionable/violent/etc. content (and the end of Ganondorf's battle might count), but forbidding it because she MIGHT not understand it? Children crave and need intellectual stimuli. Some of my fondest childhood memories are from books and movies I realized I could not fully comprehend because of my age. I learned to read at age two; I guess by your logic I shouldn't have been let near a book or comic?

can 3 year olds even read?

I have a nephew that could read when he was 3 years old. He couldn't speak that well, but he could definitely read and write some words. It was pretty impressive. So yeah, it's definitely possible if the kid is skilled and has a good education.

CorvoSol

Is it just me, or you guys are making a fuss over nothing?

Yup. The guy modded a game because he thought his daughter would like it more that way. If that's worth pitching a fit over, then woe betide every parent who's ever done the same. Someday the girl will find out that Link is a boy, and she'll shrug it off in the same way I shrugged off finding out that Zelda was not Link's name.

This whole thing is a mountain out of a molehill.

I promise you she's not still playing it. The whole idea of having big plans to raise your kid the way you were raised is comical and narcissistic.

Also, does she have to boot up a Dolphin emulator to play it? LOL

kodt

Banned
That is the most outrageously wrong reason to forbid a children from playing anything. I understand not letting a child near it if there's questionable/violent/etc. content (and the end of Ganondorf's battle might count), but forbidding it because she MIGHT not understand it? Children crave and need intellectual stimuli. Some of my fondest childhood memories are from books and movies I realized I could not fully comprehend because of my age. I learned to read at age two; I guess by your logic I shouldn't have been let near a book or comic?

I thought he intended for her to play through it herself. I said nothing about books or comics, I was talking about video games. In general its not good to get kids hooked on TV or video games at a young age. Giving her books would be a GOOD thing to do.

I promise you she's not still playing it. The whole idea of having big plans to raise your kid the way you were raised is comical and narcissistic.

Also, does she have to boot up a Dolphin emulator to play it? LOL

I assume that if the father is intelligent enough to Romhack, he probably has some elaborate system set up that mimics the Gamecube.

As a parent of a 3.5 year old daughter, this is a moronic thing to say. To say there's no way she can comprehend whats going on just shows you know nothing about children. They are extremely impressionable at that age and have a mind-blowing capacity to learn and understand things. There are plenty of 'games' and interactive products out there that are designed to enrich and educate, some of them are fantastic.

As a dad, I do understand the value of what this father is doing and I think it's brilliant.

kodt

Banned
As a parent of a 3.5 year old daughter, this is a moronic thing to say. To say there's no way she can comprehend whats going on just shows you know nothing about children. They are extremely impressionable at that age and have a mind-blowing capacity to learn and understand things. There are plenty of 'games' and interactive products out there that are designed to enrich and educate, some of them are fantastic.

As a dad, I do understand the value of what this father is doing and I think it's brilliant.

I meant solving the puzzles and beating the game by herself.

I meant solving the puzzles and beating the game by herself.

If he's anything like me, he asks questions along the way "why do you think Link needs this item or what can he do with this item", or "can you spot a word that starts with L" or "which way do you think we should sail the ship" or "why do you think that character is upset". Of course the 3.5 year old is not playing it by herself.

kodt

Banned
If he's anything like me, he asks questions along the way "why do you think Link needs this item or what can he do with this item", or "can you spot a word that starts with L" or "which way do you think we should sail the ship" or "why do you think that character is upset". Of course the 3.5 year old is not playing it by herself.

Yeah hence my edit in the original post you quoted.

Platy

the girl will be ridiculed by classmates when she will be older because of her claims that link is a girl.

A friend of mine was SURE that Sonic was a Fox because he was friends with Tails.
And no, she don't know a word in english to know what "hedgehog" means.

She will be fine =P

Yeah, that's what it should be.
But often it's not.

Say a marriage goes to shit. Who will get to pay the bills? Almost all the time the man of course. Who is keeping the children? The woman of course, almost all the time. And the man isn't even able to see his kids unless the woman allows him to do so. Is this equalism? Is this fair? Not at all. And that's not even new.

Genital mutilation done to young boys is totally allowed in my country, even in case of religious reasons. Of course it's forbidden when done to girls (which is totally fine of course, but it shouldn't be allowed in any case).

Divorce is a hypothetical situation?

http://www.divorce-lawyer-source.com/html/custody/fathers.html

Like I already wrote: It's allowed in my country for fucking religious reasons by LAW. Do you understand how crazy this is?

And even the so called "health reasons" are almost all the time phimosis, which can be treated without genital mutilation, but who cares, they are boys.

So people talk about what feminism fight and you give exemples of ... how things ARE ?
"Obama don't care about the gays !!!!
Why ? Because the United states stayed CENTURIES without gay marriage"

=P

Feminists ALSO fight for those stuff.

Parenting, Army, Divorce, Every kind of violence focused on a group of people that is not by skin color or religion (misogyni, gayphobia, lesbophobia, transphobia, biphobia) ... everything happens because of how we live in a patryarc way.

If we put men and women in the same level, men will have more chances of staying with a kid because women will also work as much as then and society will don't see a mother who leaves the child with the father in the same way of the oposite.

Our society happens this way because it is EXPECTED that the women don't work and stay with the kids and the men goes use all the power and skills ONLY HE HAVE to build society.

When the world works with the idea that women can build societies in the same way as mens, paternity laws will work in the same way for both genders.

...unless the kid needs mother's milk ... but then again science probably already took care of that =P

Oersted

Just a reminder:

250px-Call_of_Duty_Black_Ops_II_Game_Cover.png

Assassin%27s_Creed_III_Game_Cover.jpg

HitmanAbsolutionPackArt.jpg

Halo_4_box_artwork.png

70abnw.jpg

These are the discussed games here. This is the current state. Its quite depressing.

Oersted

Man, can we quit getting the "bu-bu-but T!" thing? It's got a far lower rating in Europe and it's a guideline, not THE LAW.

The fact that people are consistently bringing up Beyond Good and Evil as the only real example should be telling us something.

Eusis

The fact that people are consistently bringing up Beyond Good and Evil as the only real example should be telling us something.
Oh yeah, I commented on that too (though Gurumin on PSP might not be bad) and do think it's part of why suggesting something INSTEAD of Wind Waker is bad (and thinking about it, the other part is she likes that game so let her have fun with it), this is more a separate pet peeve of treating ratings as the law rather than a guideline, depending on the kid or how absurd the rating is I could trust even an M rated one with a 9 year old. But I'm thinking of something patently ridiculous like Mortal Kombat, I think stuff like Call of Duty, while not as gory, is actually a lot more problematic especially if online's factored in.

Also: for whatever it's worth a quick google shows that Wind Waker actually carries the same rating as BG&E in Europe, 7+, so depending on where you go they are actually in the same exact zone for recommended ages anyway.

FyreWulff

No. People are confusing "There's not enough female hero options for girls" with "there's no female hero options for girls", and point to one game extremely consistently as the 'solution', which kind of proves the point that there's not enough female hero options for girls. The ratings pointout shows that if the parent follows the ESRB to the letter, the "solution" people keep bringing up is well above her intended age group and the field is more blatantly narrower if you actually stick to the E rating, which is the rating the majority of video games and video game sales, collectively.

Oersted

No. People are confusing "There's not enough female hero options for girls" with "there's no female hero options for girls", and point to one game extremely consistently as the 'solution', which kind of proves the point that there's not enough female hero options for girls.

Yep.

I thought he intended for her to play through it herself. I said nothing about books or comics, I was talking about video games. In general its not good to get kids hooked on TV or video games at a young age. Giving her books would be a GOOD thing to do.

That is not your original issue with that; you said, and I quote, "there is no way she can comprehend what is going on or solve the puzzles on her own.". How the hell could she not be able to do that and yet have no problems with a book or movie? I swear, one of the biggest problems with this society is parents treating their children as retards and shielding them from anything that might make them think; that stunts their intellectual growth much more than anything else!

For the record, I also played videogames since around her age; this was the early 80's, when games were much harder than now. I obviously wasn't able to finish most if not all of them until I was older, but I can assure you I loved them as much or more as if I had (and in turn, I started to learn programming because of them, at the age of 5-6). I can understand people from the generation of my parents wanting to shield children from the evils of computers, but a GAFer? Come on.

pargonta

I don't mean to belabour this event... but a writer at nbcnews has written a piece about the father's blog entry, categorized in technology - under their video game section, also currently visible on their mainpage.

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/ingame/super-dad-hacks-video-game-transforms-hero-his-daughter-1C7040451

she takes the reins of the activism on gender and female representation in games and runs with it.

as i've already expressed in this thread, the gender activism of the father could be replaced with any other social activism issue or ideology, and his editing of the work would still look unacceptable to me.

anyway, now that it appears i've lost the argument on that idea, that is the discussion of editing established works of fiction being not okay, i enjoy seeing a dialogue on female characters in games coming from more websites.

This seems relevant, just substitute sexism for racism...

http://racialicious.tumblr.com/post/37580821308/the-thing-that-sucks-about-girls-and-seinfeld-and

"The thing that sucks about Girls and Seinfeld and Sex and the City and every other TV show like them isn’t that they don’t include strong characters focusing on the problems facing blacks and Latinos in America today. The thing that sucks about those shows is that millions of black people look at them and can relate on so many levels to Hannah Horvath and Charlotte York and George Costanza, and yet those characters never look like us. The guys begging for money look like us. The mad black chicks telling white ladies to stay away from their families look like us. Always a gangster, never a rich kid whose parents are both college professors. After a while, the disparity between our affinity for these shows and their lack of affinity towards us puts reality into stark relief: When we look at Lena Dunham and Jerry Seinfeld, we see people with whom we have a lot in common. When they look at us, they see strangers."

- Hipster Racism Runoff And The Search for The Black Costanza by Cord Jefferson @ Gawker

I was trying to find this quote recently. I don’t think most white people understand how it feels to be thought of as only as a dehumanized stereotype or a token. Never as someone like you who can be relatable and have things in common with you. It’s always a surprise to people online and offline when people find out that I like things that they do, too ; that I’m not just some angry activism-obsessed woman. When people like Lena Dunham say they don’t know how to write Black people, it’s pretty much saying that she doesn’t think that Black people are also fully complex human beings like her. Sure, there are cultural considerations to be made, but it’s ignoring the fact that people of color are diverse and not a monolith, so it’s not like the only girls who are like her are white.

(via wretchedoftheearth)

When they look at us, they see strangers.

(via darkdarkgirlvashti)

as i've already expressed in this thread, the gender activism of the father could be replaced with any other social activism issue or ideology, and his editing of the work would still look unacceptable to me.
And that's what is so sad and hilarious

Top Bottom