• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
when does this come out on blu ray?!?!?!

The disc comes out November 12th.

I'm still torn on whether or not I am buying this. I saw it in the theater and thought it was okay but left disappointed. Felt more like a generic alien superhero movie than a Superman movie to me. On one hand I want to see it again to see if I like it better on a rewatch, on the other hand I'm afraid I might just feel guilty for spending more money on a movie I didn't much care for.

Maybe I'll just ask for it for Christmas instead and let Santa decide...

strafer

antjemmswk.gif

Kanyon

I take it that all this talk about the "Bluray" means it's "out" in the usual places?

Was planning on waiting until November 18 to buy the Bluray but if that grain thing is true, unbelieveable and disappointing.

Mengy

From what Ive seen the bluray quality kinda sucks because it has this grain effect added to the picutre and ruins it in my opinion.

The movie always had that look. It's part of what made the movie so dismal in appearance, and it sure didn't help improve the "mood" of the film.

mrkgoo

I decided to bite.

It's a fun movie. Lots of plotholes, but since when do superhero movies never have any? They require a ton of suspension of disbelief, and I'm usually capable of doing so.

jey_16

Banned
Watched it again on Blu-Ray, holds up well on repeat viewings. Yeah there are some stupid actions by the characters and the CGI looks horrible in some places (and fantastic in others for some reason?) it's still an enjoyable film

Got a little chill during that final scene, can't wait to see Batman in this setting....I hope they nail the interaction between them

Also, the score is fantastic, really makes the film and leagues ahead of the generic shit in the Marvel films....only slightly memorable one is the avengers

Watched it again on Blu-Ray, holds up well on repeat viewings. Yeah there are some stupid actions by the characters and the CGI looks horrible in some places (and fantastic in others for some reason?) it's still an enjoyable film

Got a little chill during that final scene, can't wait to see Batman in this setting....I hope they nail the interaction between them

Also, the score is fantastic, really makes the film and leagues ahead of the generic shit in the Marvel films....only slightly memorable one is the avengers

There were many studios worked on MoS's CGI, so it's pretty understandable that some looks crap while others looks good.

mrkgoo

So many absurd little inconsistencies, but I get the gist and still had fun.

What was Kal-els suit doing on the scout ship anyway? Or did jor-el reconfigure it in?

Also the flash back sequences feel a little more unearned this time around. Like they feel more plonked in, just when they feel convenient. In lost, for example they tend to inform the moment, and they do in man of steel, but they don't feel as natural.

What happened to Kal-el's command key? Did Lois leave it on the ship and that's what Zod used to fire up the genesis ship and have a chat with jor-el before erasing him?

So many absurd little inconsistencies, but I get the gist and still had fun.

What was Kal-els suit doing on the scout ship anyway? Or did jor-el reconfigure it in?

Also the flash back sequences feel a little more unearned this time around. Like they feel more plonked in, just when they feel convenient. In lost, for example they tend to inform the moment, and they do in man of steel, but they don't feel as natural.

What happened to Kal-el's command key? Did Lois leave it on the ship and that's what Zod used to fire up the genesis ship and have a chat with jor-el before erasing him?

Each ship carry many suits from many families, including the El family.

Zod made his own command key to override the genesis ship. Lois still had Kal's command key until she used it to launch baby Kal El ship so the military could crash their plane into Zod's ship.

xenist

Outside of the internet I haven't met a single person that disliked this. And I'm pretty much the "movie guy" for my extended family and friends, so I suggest a lot of movies to a lot of different people. And the most surprising thing about it is how often I hear about how good it is that Lois isn't a blithering idiot any more as a comment on the movie besides the action.

MacNille

Banned
Outside of the internet I haven't met a single person that disliked this. And I'm pretty much the "movie guy" for my extended family and friends, so I suggest a lot of movies to a lot of different people. And the most surprising thing about it is how often I hear about how good it is that Lois isn't a blithering idiot any more as a comment on the movie besides the action.

Same here for me. I saw it with my brother and sister and we all liked it.

Mengy

Actually just the opposite for me, as most of my friends really didn't care much for it, same as me. Only my brother loved it, but then he likes pretty much anything with mindless destruction (all of the Transformers movies are some of his favorite movies of all time...)

I got the blu-ray/dvd earlier this week in Australia. It looks great on blu-ray, much better than i remember at the cinema (must have been unlucky during the multiple screenings i went to, the action scenes were too blurry). I am more of a traditionalist and can't stand it when films rely on cgi too often.

I did not believe Krypton was real, it looked too computer generated. But i did not have a problem with the fight or flying scenes during the rest of the film. I had a small issue with one of the smallville fight sequences (between faeora and Superman) the action jittered briefly. At the time i was not sure if it was a film intention, or if my blu-ray disc or ps3 was being screwy. When i watched the dvd (i have sat through the film 5 times since Tuesday) i did not notice it... so i'll pay close attention to when i watch the blu-ray again some time in the future.

I sat through it with my dad his biggest criticisms were that there was too much slowness, too much sci-fi and he was annoyed that the John Williams Superman march was absent lol.

If i pretend it is not a Superman movie it's good to great in parts, but as it is a Superman film i only think it is borderline good. The scripting and pacing of the film lets it down.

I don't share the same disdain for the films destruction of the city, what i do dislike was how everything was going at a frenetic pace AND General Zod just gives up. I know the battle had to end at some point but it just seemed like they didn't know how else to resolve it to that point (i am talking about a sequence of events moments before their final encounter). before moving on to the final confrontation.

I thought Cavill was weak as Superman, didn't have the sense of authority that Christopher Reeve had. You can argue this was Superman's first outing... but really Cavill is just eye candy.

I also cringed at his Clarke Kent reveal at the very end, just cheesy and that grin argh. But his early adulthood / discovering himself Clarke Kent was pretty good.

I can see why WB want to throw Batman in on the sequel, to prop up a potential Justice League movie BUT i wish they would write a Superman story that everyone can be proud of.

The original Superman will never be topped at this rate.

mrkgoo

Each ship carry many suits from many families, including the El family.

Zod made his own command key to override the genesis ship. Lois still had Kal's command key until she used it to launch baby Kal El ship so the military could crash their plane into Zod's ship.

Lol, I can't believe I forgot about the command key.

Also a lame excuse for the suit. But whatever. There are tons of stuff like that in this movie. I still enjoyed it.

Just finished this. Really enjoyed it. Great story and awesome action, although I thought it was CGI-heavy at times.

At first I was all annoyed with the mass destruction/killing stuff (didn't help that I went into the movie with that already in my head from all the articles and pieces online), but then I tracked down and read BobbyRoberts' analysis, so I'm cool with that now

Very interested to see how the sequel turns out

Penguin

Actually enjoyed this more at home than I did in the theaters

I think they could have trimmed the climax a bit more, but overall a blast

My friend recommended it to me today while we were watching the Steelers/Lions game. I normally watch super hero movies, but this one I was simply going to let pass me by.

I've never been a DC fan.

While I appreciate the quality of the Batman trilogy, I've never liked Batman as a character.

While I loved the first and second Christopher Reeves films, the last Superman flick was below average imo other than Kevin Spacey (sorry for the spelling).

And I've never been a fan of Superman as a hero (I'm more of a Daredevil, Black Panther, Captain America kinda guy).

Plus, there has been a ton of mixed reviews on the web.

Well, while I can definitely see why some might not like the film (Jeff Cannata), I LOVED it. It's a movie about superman doing superman type stuff, which most of the other live action movies have sucked at.

The only problem I had was the casting for Lois Lane. She's a good actress, but I've had that character's appearance burned in my head over the years...and it's the equivalent of having a blond Clark Kent. It's jarring. It also doesn't help that she's in a LOT of movies these days.

Anyway....I enjoyed this movie more than ..
1. the first Nolan Batman
2. the last two Iron Man movies
3. both Thor movies (and I really like the second one)
4. Captain America (even though I like capt's character more)

Good super hero movie.

BumRush

Just watched for the first time and...INTERNET, YOU'RE CRAZY!!! I absolutely loved everything about the film. Plot, fights (knew they'd be good helmed by ZS), visuals, acting and score.

So I watched this on blu-ray today and I don't know what film you guys were watching. This film is great. In terms of superhero films, it's way better than a lot of the stuff Marvel pump out.

Watched it again last night and have watched it several times since November 6. Each time i watch it, i just end up being more bitter and lament what could have been. As a generic film it was fine, as a superhero film...... and a film about my favorite character i thought it was below average.

The movie had pace issues, the script was full of weak dialog..... i did not care about any of the characters, at least not until the final battle. I would have thought the aim was to get enough support or reason to like Superman. But i came away feeling sorry for and wanting General Zod to succeed, his motives were well explained. The Clarke / Superman transition was glossed over and not written well.

Sapiens

AVClub just put MoS Number 4 on their top 15
WORST!
films of 2013

AV CLUB Top 15 List

One of the most hilariously pretentious scenes in Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight Rises was the football stadium apocalypse, which was scored to a boy soprano singing “The Star-Spangled Banner.” Zack Snyder’s Man Of Steel sustains that same level of pomposity over 143 interminable minutes. Snyder wants viewers to ponder Superman as a moral being, but someone really needs to tell him (and Nolan) that superheroes—impossibly powerful, infallibly good—are maybe the least appropriate vehicles imaginable for moral inquiry. Why, for instance, are we supposed to care that (SPOILER ALERT) Superman kills Zod at the end when he has spent the previous 40 minutes completely demolishing Metropolis, presumably killing a good portion of its inhabitants? And what are we supposed to think when Supes has his first big romantic clinch with Lois standing amid the debris? With this single movie, the trend toward “serious” superhero stories officially achieves entropy. Also: Has a big blockbuster ever contained more cynical, blatant product placement? [SM]

I completely agree. This film was unbearably bad.

AVClub just put MoS Number 4 on their top 15 films of 2013

AV CLUB Top 15 List

dunno, this is whole "Superman destroys Metropolis" argument just doesn't work for me. ok, the movie has flaws, but it's not like he(superman) had a choice.
"Hh, hey zod, just destroyed the last chance for Krypton to be created again. Wanna fight somewhere else?"

Thinking back I really loved this movie. I felt so bad skipping it in theaters because of listening to critics I normally trust (Red Letter Media, etc). Since I am not really much of a Superman fan I just saw it as a damn enjoyable sci fi movie. I found the story to be quite interesting. It was also nice to see villains that were truly threatening, but also logical in their motives. Zod was at least somewhat sympathetic and wasn't just doing it to kill because he was evil as is so often the case.

I told one of my friends about how much I liked it and he disregarded the entire movie by saying, "Superman destroyed too many buildings....movie was dumb." I really don't see how he had any choice in the matter.

Watched it 3 times now and it is one of my favorite hero movies of all time. It's really good when you know this is the world that they are building the DCU in.

Ok, after seeing this and admittedly not being into comics how in the hell does Batman stand a chance against Superman? Perhaps he can out-think him, but if it comes to actual fisticuffs there is no way in hell.

Emwitus

WORST!
films of 2013

AV CLUB Top 15 List

So the fourth worst movie of the year is better than every marvel movie except iron man 1/spiderman 1-2. Hmmm

Watched it 3 times now and it is one of my favorite hero movies of all time. It's really good when you know this is the world that they are building the DCU in.
god_damn_right_breaking_bad.gif

ReiGun

Ok, after seeing this and admittedly not being into comics how in the hell does Batman stand a chance against Superman? Perhaps he can out-think him, but if it comes to actual fisticuffs there is no way in hell.

I just read an article on MoS and one of the comments said "Batman's greatest power is that the writer is always on his side." So yes, while logically, Batman should end up a black and grey smear when he steps to Superman, as long as the writers want him to stand a chance, he will.

I'm betting some kind of synthetic kryptonite will be involved.

We have it now for re-watch. I'm a fan, and not against different versions or interpretations of characters. With that said, this movie made no fucking sense. It was an okay action movie, but a shit Superman movie. The casting was great and the story was just fucking ridiculous.

It's been discussed at length, so I won't nitpick all the shit that was wrong with the movie, but my main issue is that this guy, the Clark Kent in the movies, would not have grown up to be Superman. Not based on how he was raised or how he was told to act. They essentially tried to give him a "Spider-man" like origin and that doesn't work for this kind of character. It's extremely unbelievable that this guy, who's been fucked with all his life would suddenly decide "TIME TO SAVE THEM ALL".

Superman isn't emo, and they really tried to play him up as Emo. WHich is... wtf?! Why do that? What's worse, is that you can tell, at some point, Goyer or Snyder thought of this and thought "Hey, this might be a little heavy" and tried to insert stuff about hope, and Clark's overall change once he gets the suit on. But it just rings hollow. There's no real reason for him to be "Superman" except that we know he's Superman. The story doesn't facilitate that change. It's like Goyer and Snyder were like "Well, he put on the suit, so everybody knows what that means" and then coasted on the idea, rather than setting the foundation for it.

That, at it's core, is what is wrong with the movie. Based on everything we saw happen in the movie, this guy wouldn't have become superman.

BFIB

I love this movie.

But I still don't understand why the one pod was open when Clark enters the ship. I need to watch the special features on the Blu-Ray, maybe its explained.

Zabka

Kinda sad to see AV Club perpetuating the bullshit "Superman demolished the city" meme. The movie's got plenty of valid issues to complain about but that isn't one of them.

BFIB

Kinda sad to see AV Club perpetuating the bullshit "Superman demolished the city" meme. The movie's got plenty of valid issues to complain about but that isn't one of them.

Upon rewatch, yeah, buildings are demolished, but its mostly Zod throwing Supes through the buildings.

Also, people get so upset that Supes killed Zod. Yeah, its not something that Superman is really about, but he literally just became Superman. He's learning on the fly (no pun intended). He is now going to have to live with the loss of what he did, and I think that will lead to him realizing what taking a life means.

I don't know. A lot of Superman fans did not like this. I'm a huge Supes fan, and I absolutely loved it.

Zabka

What really bothers me is that banishing Zod to a bodyless existence in an empty void of unending torture is considered the more humane thing to do.

IconGrist

I love this movie.

But I still don't understand why the one pod was open when Clark enters the ship. I need to watch the special features on the Blu-Ray, maybe its explained.

That's explained in the prequel comic.

It's Kara's pod. Supergirl is already on Earth.

Upon rewatch, yeah, buildings are demolished, but its mostly Zod throwing Supes through the buildings.

Also, people get so upset that Supes killed Zod. Yeah, its not something that Superman is really about, but he literally just became Superman. He's learning on the fly (no pun intended). He is now going to have to live with the loss of what he did, and I think that will lead to him realizing what taking a life means.

I don't know. A lot of Superman fans did not like this. I'm a huge Supes fan, and I absolutely loved it.

So he became a murderer, but he's learning? He'll try harder next time? lol

Wynnebeck

Banned
Watched it for the first time the other night and I really enjoyed it. What I didn't understand though was why Superman couldn't move like the one Kryptonian female who was whooping ass and taking names? Seeing her teleport and take out the squad of Army dudes made me yell out in excitement.

Watched it for the first time the other night and I really enjoyed it. What I didn't understand though was why Superman couldn't move like the one Kryptonian female who was whooping ass and taking names? Seeing her teleport and take out the squad of Army dudes made me yell out in excitement.
i believe i read somewhere that the way she moves and attacks is a kryptonian martial art, or something like that.

WORST!
films of 2013

AV CLUB Top 15 List

except you can't take their criticism seriously if they are going to keep pushing that false argument that Superman was destroying Metropolis. they can have their own opinions but not their own facts.

We have it now for re-watch. I'm a fan, and not against different versions or interpretations of characters. With that said, this movie made no fucking sense. It was an okay action movie, but a shit Superman movie. The casting was great and the story was just fucking ridiculous.

It's been discussed at length, so I won't nitpick all the shit that was wrong with the movie, but my main issue is that this guy, the Clark Kent in the movies, would not have grown up to be Superman. Not based on how he was raised or how he was told to act. They essentially tried to give him a "Spider-man" like origin and that doesn't work for this kind of character. It's extremely unbelievable that this guy, who's been fucked with all his life would suddenly decide "TIME TO SAVE THEM ALL".

Superman isn't emo, and they really tried to play him up as Emo. WHich is... wtf?! Why do that? What's worse, is that you can tell, at some point, Goyer or Snyder thought of this and thought "Hey, this might be a little heavy" and tried to insert stuff about hope, and Clark's overall change once he gets the suit on. But it just rings hollow. There's no real reason for him to be "Superman" except that we know he's Superman. The story doesn't facilitate that change. It's like Goyer and Snyder were like "Well, he put on the suit, so everybody knows what that means" and then coasted on the idea, rather than setting the foundation for it.

That, at it's core, is what is wrong with the movie. Based on everything we saw happen in the movie, this guy wouldn't have become superman.

more than one way to get to a point. this time he was forced into being someone only he could be. it doesn't however mean he didn't grow into the role. and emo? what was "emo"
about him?

most of those people are not really fans, just fans of the Chris Reeve movies. Superman is a comic book character and I would bet you a great many of them haven't read a Superman comic in decades if ever. so their opinion of what Superman is as far as I am concerned is irrelevant.

how is he a murderer? what? were they going to throw Zod in jail?

Mengy

most of those people are not really fans, just fans of the Chris Reeve movies. Superman is a comic book character and I would bet you a great many of them haven't read a Superman comic in decades if ever. so their opinion of what Superman is as far as I am concerned is irrelevant.

So, in your opinion, if a Superman fan did not like Man of Steel, they aren't true fans and their opinions are irrelevant?

That's Bullshit.

Just because a person's opinion is different than yours does not make their opinion any less relevant than yours is. I own dozens of Superman comic books myself, I've been a fan of the character since the early 80's. Yes I love Superman I and II, they tell good stories and stay true to the guts of what makes Clark Kent Superman. Superman the Animated Series was fucking fantastic and is still my favorite "film" depiction of the character. Returns was a let down, I appreciate parts of it years later but it still wasn't a great Superman movie. But Man of Steel, it's like it wasn't even a true Superman movie, it just featured him in a movie about aliens fighting on Earth. I won't go over the talking points again because it's been done to death in this thread, but my opinion, as a fan of Superman, is that Man of Steel was a bad movie.

So don't tell me I'm not a real fan, or that my opinion is irrelevant, simply because you disagree with me. That kind of behavior is just pompous and dickish.

BFIB

He thought by re-opening the Phantom Zone, that Zod would be gone. Zod even tells Supes that he's going to "have to kill him" because he has nothing left. His one purpose that he was bred to do was gone.

So yeah, some may say "murder", but I looked at it more that Supes chose to do the unthinkable, because he was the only one that could stop Zod.

It may or may not be the right thing, but at the time, it was the only choice he could make.

He thought by re-opening the Phantom Zone, that Zod would be gone. Zod even tells Supes that he's going to "have to kill him" because he has nothing left. His one purpose that he was bred to do was gone.

So yeah, some may say "murder", but I looked at it more that Supes chose to do the unthinkable, because he was the only one that could stop Zod.

It may or may not be the right thing, but at the time, it was the only choice he could make.

That's a much better explanation than "he just started being superman".

I remember thinking on it when it happened, and came to a similar conclusion of "Well, what was he going to do? Throw Zod in jail?" but it still bothered me to the extent that I felt it was a real detriment to the movie.

IconGrist

In my experience, I've seen a reversed opinion. I can't say it's enough to warrant looking in to further but my friends who are Superman fans didn't care for the movie, and the ones who aren't thought it was the best comic film this year. A couple even came to me asking what Superman comics to check out to learn more about the character.

Top Bottom