• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

honestly I think Luthor is a good man. if it wasn't for him I wouldn't have a job or gone to school thanks to Lexcorp work/study program. I just think Luthor really looks out for the regular guy.

I'll never drop it! I'll stomp and rage until DC editorial admits they were wrong and commit ritual Japanese suicide in retribution for his creation, and bury all remaining copies of "Death of Superman" in that landfill where Atari dumped E.T.

Or I'll go eat some ice cream. Wherever the night takes me.

honestly Rei, I think you're being very unfair to Death of Superman. it was actually fairly good, and gave us lots of good characters. it was handled as well as the killing of an icon can be. it was a really big, fun spectacle and it worked out in the end. I just don't see what was "bad" about it.

Totakeke

Didn't read the thread completely, so forgive me if I'm trending on water that that has been covered already. I thought that the perfect scenario for Lex Luthor in the sequel is not one of bumbling criminal with hair brain schemes for beachfront property but rather one more cerebral.

Lex Luthor, imo, should capitalize on the
destruction caused by Superman and the Kryptonians,
urging the people of Earth to view Superman as a threat. Not because he is evil, but rather what his existance on Earth invites.

Also, exploit the fact that he
shot down the Predator.
If he is truly on our side, what does he have to hide?

It might be interesting to have Lex Luthor running for President in this film, positioning himself, not as a villian but rather someone that is interested in protecting humanity. Then as POTUS, he could enact policy that would be anti-Superman.

Basically a play on the fear mongering after 9/11 that resulted in the Patriot Act that still affects us today.

Referencing current events, I like.

honestly Rei, I think you're being very unfair to Death of Superman. it was actually fairly good, and gave us lots of good characters. it was handled as well as the killing of an icon can be. it was a really big, fun spectacle and it worked out in the end. I just don't see what was "bad" about it.

I'm with him, it was terrible.

The best Superman comics aren't just fight scenes, and this one was several issues of one big fight scene. And the fight was dumb. It wasn't really choregraphed and it didn't make any sense from a tactical standpoint, and there was no real drama. It was bland as hell.

Effect

I wonder if we'll get a serious article about the the disconnect between the critics and the movie going audience at larger. Or has there been one already? Perhaps even from some critics asking why their review didn't matter or why so many disagreed with it?

DoubleTap

Didn't read the thread completely, so forgive me if I'm trending on water that that has been covered already. I thought that the perfect scenario for Lex Luthor in the sequel is not one of bumbling criminal with hair brain schemes for beachfront property but rather one more cerebral.

Lex Luthor, imo, should capitalize on the
destruction caused by Superman and the Kryptonians,
urging the people of Earth to view Superman as a threat. Not because he is evil, but rather what his existance on Earth invites.

Also, exploit the fact that he
shot down the Predator.
If he is truly on our side, what does he have to hide?

It might be interesting to have Lex Luthor running for President in this film, positioning himself, not as a villian but rather someone that is interested in protecting humanity. Then as POTUS, he could enact policy that would be anti-Superman.

Basically a play on the fear mongering after 9/11 that resulted in the Patriot Act that still affects us today.

So basically "Public Enemies". They should save that for the "World's Finest" movie.

Dany

Banned
Corey Stoll is an amazing character actor on tv who could make his big jump with Man of Steel 2 as Lex

MV5BMzU5MjUwMDYzOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDcwOTkwOQ@@._V1._SY309_CR40,0,214,309_.jpg

Leunam

I think you could get around that a little bit so long as this is Lex Luthor's motivation:

ibggE5bo44v3h5.jpg
ibntDoR6g4bkql.jpg

This is key. Luthors race never really played into his motivations, but his desire for man to achieve more for itself did. That's what drives his hatred for Superman. If they can capture that and make his motivations clear then I'll be happy.

For what it's worth, Clancy Brown looks white.

He was Lex's voice in the show right? I guess so, since you posted a picture of Lex. He's the voice I imagine anytime I read Luthor in any Superman comic.

rexor0717

I've seen this movie twice, and I kinda want to see it a third time in theaters. I can't quite place what I like so much about this movie, especially given how much I hate Superman as a character.

Also, Denzel as Lex seems fine to me, he would probably play the role amazingly.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Man of steel blu rays up for pre-order on amazon. No limited gift box it seems here :| All covers are the same and they picked the final poster :\ Hopefully it's just temp, but it doesn't look like it. I'm sure Walmart/Best Buy/Target will get special editions/steel books. No release date listed yet.

Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray + DVD + Ultra Violet Combo) - $53.98
612ypHlJkZL._SL1075_.jpg

Link: http://amzn.com/B00DYEN6XC

Man of Steel (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + DVD +UltraViolet Combo Pack) - $29.99
Link: http://amzn.com/B00DYEN5QU
wUqbZu6.png

Man of Steel (Blu-ray+DVD+UltraViolet Combo Pack) Blu-ray ~ Henry Cavill -$24.99
Link: http://amzn.com/B008JFUPK8

witness

I seriously doubt they would announce a sequel this early.

They have to, all the prime dates are taken for summer 2015 (first may friday, memorial weekend, 4th of july), so they either have to put MoS2 at the end of july (july 17th or 24th) or go for a release near christmas, December 18th. WB is the only studio that hasn't announced a big movie for 2015, so they have to get a move on.

I want a release date for the blu ray! Hopefully before november.

Will be interesting to see if they respond to any criticism

At comic-con?

They're not going to get any.

That's not how those panels go. Even if someone raises a cogent point about some of the film's deficiencies, they're going to get booed and shouted down. Nobody's at comic-con for anything but ass-kissing and gladhanding.

At least when it comes to the movie side of things.

The comics side? That's different.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
No blu ray release date yet?

I still think it will hit in Nov/ close to Dec.

I also feel like they won't announce the release date till it hits $300 million domestic to use in trade ads since it's so close.

Yup.

They want that nice round number. They're going to keep the film in theaters until they get it. It'll essentially be written off as a marketing expense, paying theaters to keep it on a screen until it limps over.

Christopher

Wow this movie sucked all kinds of ass

I was excited for this...?

Explosions explosions explosions and some mumbl jumbo krypton shit??

No heart at all on this film...

Christopher

This felt like it would be a trilogy ending with the sheer amount of destruction and NO personality of superman Lois Lane the daily planet people or metropolis...

Felt like a Michael Bay movie shame

Alucard

Banned
Saw it tonight. Enjoyed it, but it definitely had issues.

-too much product placement which was really noticeable due to Snyder's lens
-didn't really feel that "the world" was in danger. Felt like it was all USA
-why the hell wouldn't Supes try to bring Zod into an UNpopulated area for their fight?
-sooo...all the buildings are empty, but some people just happen to be chilling in a museum?
-military rah rah rah!

DaveH

-why the hell wouldn't Supes try to bring Zod into an UNpopulated area for their fight?
He did. In seven seconds he took Zod 22,000 miles above the Earth to geostationary orbit. 11.4 million miles per hour or 1.7% the speed of light! At those speeds there's not such thing as "unpopulated area" the whole world is a split second away as Zod proved by bringing the fight right back to Metropolis.

-sooo...all the buildings are empty, but some people just happen to be chilling in a museum?
Train station. Where else would you expect to see people evacuating a city but in its streets and public transportation?

MisterHero

This felt like it would be a trilogy ending with the sheer amount of destruction and NO personality of superman Lois Lane the daily planet people or metropolis...

Felt like a Michael Bay movie shame
It'll feel like a bar fight when Superman saves the universe in MoS 3/Justice League.

Lex and Doomsday vs Superman.

Lex has to be on the same level of Red Son Lex. He gets humanity to see Superman as a bad thing. Basically shows how even if Superman has good intentions, he welcomes threats that always lead to destruction. Preaches this all while secretly using Doomsday as a weapon to back up his point.

The movie ends with Superman barely squeaking out the win against Doomsday, but obviously having no clue how to handle the Lex threat.

Final scene, Bruce Wayne introduces himself to Clark Kent and says something along the lines of "You're really strong, but kinda dumb. I'm here to help."

Perfectly setting part 3 up for Worlds Finest or some form of Justice League.

My money is on a 2016 release for Part 3.

Matrix

Blu-ray.com is showing a Oct 15, 2013 (3 Months) release date. I wonder if they're going by the place holder date that amazon France was using and then it vanished.

I hope that's true, but I still think early/mid Nov. Vudu still has Dec 1st.

netguy503

Man of steel blu rays up for pre-order on amazon. No limited gift box it seems here :| All covers are the same and they picked the final poster :\ Hopefully it's just temp, but it doesn't look like it. I'm sure Walmart/Best Buy/Target will get special editions/steel books. No release date listed yet.

Man of Steel (Blu-ray+DVD+UltraViolet Combo Pack) Blu-ray ~ Henry Cavill -$24.99
Link: http://amzn.com/B008JFUPK8

That cover is going to look REAL good in 3D. And 3 discs!? Bring on my two hour documentary. I'm excited. :)

Saw it tonight. Enjoyed it, but it definitely had issues.

-too much product placement which was really noticeable due to Snyder's lens
-didn't really feel that "the world" was in danger. Felt like it was all USA
-military rah rah rah!

why the hell would Zod let himself get carried to an "unpopulated area" (where is that on the east coast by the way?)

and what's wrong with the military? what was so "rah-rah" about it? they were defending their country from alien invaders?

I mean, seriously now if you haven't complained about militaries in movies before, why start now when they were so subdued and thoroughly beaten by ONE kryptonian?

and the people weren't "chilling" in a museum, they were in a train station, where you watching the movie or not?

witness

Lex and Doomsday vs Superman.

Lex has to be on the same level of Red Son Lex. He gets humanity to see Superman as a bad thing. Basically shows how even if Superman has good intentions, he welcomes threats that always lead to destruction. Preaches this all while secretly using Doomsday as a weapon to back up his point.

The movie ends with Superman barely squeaking out the win against Doomsday, but obviously having no clue how to handle the Lex threat.

Final scene, Bruce Wayne introduces himself to Clark Kent and says something along the lines of "You're really strong, but kinda dumb. I'm here to help."

Perfectly setting part 3 up for Worlds Finest or some form of Justice League.

My money is on a 2016 release for Part 3.

Replace Doomsday with Metallo and I am right with you. Save him for MoS3 or even JL.

Per ordered the blu ray on amazon and am really hoping for that October release.

Stet

Banned
Why was everyone in this movie so incredibly stupid? Costner's death scene was painful to watch considering he sacrificed himself to save a dog that the movie makes a point of reminding us is dead anyway in the present day, Zod inexplicably wanted to turn Earth into Krypton rather than have his people spend the 15 seconds it took for him to adapt to the atmosphere so he could continue to be a god, the high council of Krypton knowing full well that Zod believed the planet would destroy itself decided to punish him for treason by getting him off the planet where he believed he would be safe, Clark steals an alien ship right in front of the military who just...what...abandon chasing after it because it's too tough, the Kryptonians imprison Lois Lane in a room that inexplicably has a computer console in it, Jor-El explains to Lois how to stop them making sure that she will explain it to Clark rather than explaining it directly to him when they talk face to face five minutes later, Lois out of nowhere has a voice-over narration talking about how hard it is to find someone who's spent 33 years covering his tracks and then finds him within a matter of 4 steps...

I have a real problem with just about every single person in this film, but most of all Goyer for a mindblowingly idiotic script.

Almost forgot Superman's Zod-killing moment came mere seconds after the two of them likely killed thousands of people but Zod burning to death another three people was the straw that broke the camel's back for him.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Why was everyone in this movie so incredibly stupid? Costner's death scene was painful to watch considering he sacrificed himself to save a dog that the movie makes a point of reminding us is dead anyway in the present day, Zod inexplicably wanted to turn Earth into Krypton rather than have his people spend the 15 seconds it took for him to adapt to the atmosphere so he could continue to be a god, the high council of Krypton knowing full well that Zod believed the planet would destroy itself decided to punish him for treason by getting him off the planet where he believed he would be safe, Clark steals an alien ship right in front of the military who just...what...abandon chasing after it because it's too tough, the Kryptonians imprison Lois Lane in a room that inexplicably has a computer console in it, Jor-El explains to Lois how to stop them making sure that she will explain it to Clark rather than explaining it directly to him when they talk face to face five minutes later, Lois out of nowhere has a voice-over narration talking about how hard it is to find someone who's spent 33 years covering his tracks and then finds him within a matter of 4 steps...

I have a real problem with just about every single person in this film, but most of all Goyer for a mindblowingly idiotic script.

Almost forgot Superman's Zod-killing moment came mere seconds after the two of them likely killed thousands of people but Zod burning to death another three people was the straw that broke the camel's back for him.

Yep, spot on with how I felt about it. It was so silly in bad ways for a movie that tries so hard to be dead serious. Just a really strange idiotic script coupled with a cold monotone directing style. I'm still incredibly let down by how much worse MoS was than I expected, I so dearly wanted the best Superman movie of all time.

Top Bottom