• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

JimiNutz

Banned
It was amazing. I was in awe that we finally got a fight like this live action. The music topped it off. The moment we saw Zod and Clark fly around each other, fighting while flying mid-air was a dream come true for me. Fuck all the collateral damage complaints, we never got anything like this in Returns or any other Superhero movie. Best scene in the film for me.

We did however get a very similar scene in The Matrix Revolutions....10 years ago.
I would go so far as to say that the final fight scene in Revolutions was actually shot and choreographed better as well.

It got released in Brazil today, I hope for some good numbers from there.
Just came back from watching it here in Brazil. Every single theater was sold out. no Empty seats all all. It's probably going to be the same thing next week.
IMO, i loved the movie. The action Scenes were amazing. Everything that i expected from a fight between kryptonians. i agree though, that the character development was subpar, besides Supes himself.

We did however get a very similar scene in The Matrix Revolutions....10 years ago.
I would go so far as to say that the final fight scene in Revolutions was actually shot and choreographed better as well.

Ugh no thanks. The fight in superman was far better imo and actually more fitting for the movie.

Toa TAK

Banned

Eh...

Ugh no thanks. The fight in superman was far better imo and actually more fitting for the movie.

Perfect. I'll say what he said.

If You Love These People

all day
every day
at home
during exercise
in the car.

Just listened to it driving home. Such a great song.

pubba

Going to see this tonight. I wonder if there are any corny extra scenes like there were for the China release of Iron Man 3? That shit was hilarious!

Poona

http://www.worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=71162&start=25

Spoiler in link potentially

So this guy who is a long time member there said he has word the next villian in man of steel sequel is
lex luthor
and is being played by
denzel washington
or atleast wb hopes

What? How? no way. It's like getting Ron Howard to play Martin Luther King or something. Just doesn't seem to compute. It's like taking all that is known about them and throwing it in the bin for someone who has none of the look.

Toxi

Banned
What? How? no way. It's like getting Ron Howard to play Martin Luther King or something. Just doesn't seem to compute. It's like taking all that is known about them and throwing it in the bin for someone who has none of the look.
They might intentionally be trying to distance their version of Lex Luthor from the Gene Hackman version. People are understandably a bit sick of Lex Luthor, so they want to spice him up to not be so predictable.

It's like making Alfred a muscular younger guy in that new CGI Batman cartoon.

Poona

They might intentionally be trying to distance their version of Lex Luthor from the Gene Hackman version. People are understandably a bit sick of Lex Luthor, so they want to spice him up to not be so predictable.

Hmm.. I don't just mean Gene Hackman. I thought every version of Lex is bald and white? Now you don't have to be bald, you can shave for the role but changing your established skin colour can be a stretch. If they're fine with throwing that out the window why don't they give Superman red or blonde hair in the next movie, and have him get around in a orange or purple suit as opposed to blue so they can spice things up.

I'm surprised this moment from Superman: Sacrifice / Infinite Crisis hasn't been mentioned at all in the discussion of Man of Steel.
6Uzjcq7.jpg

If I recall correctly, a lot of the conflict between the Trinity came from Wonder Woman's above action, Batman's Brother Eye paranoia, and Superman's disappointment.

Superman doesn't have a no kill policy in the comics he has killed on several occasions. I don't know why Snyder made it seem like some "Huge Controversy"

Superman_vs_Doomsday_23.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

J10

Banned

Amazing.

MLK is a real person who did real things. Lex Luthor's skin color has zero bearing on his character.

Amazing.

MLK is a real person who did real things. Lex Luthor's skin color has zero bearing on his character.

I am absolutely against changing the race of iconic characters. It's so fucking stupid and just looks like an attention grab. If they want a black villian they can select one or they can create a new one from scratch. Making Lex black would be just as dumb as having a different ethnicity playing as Blade or Luke Cage.

ReiGun

No it's not. MLK was an actual human being. Lex Luthor is a fictional character. He can look like whatever DC Comics decides to make him look like.

J10

Banned
I am absolutely against changing the race of iconic characters. It's so fucking stupid and just looks like an attention grab. If they want a black villian they can select one or they can create a new one from scratch. Making Lex black would be just as dumb as having a different ethnicity playing as Blade or Luke Cage.

What if it's not actually an attention grab? What if the race of the character is not a factor in the story? What if the best actor for the job happens to be black and is more deserving than all the other lesser skilled white actors? Does the black actor still not get to work because he's not white, even though he would objectively do a better job and the film would be better for it? Hypothetically speaking, lets say there is a limited pool of actors from which the filmmakers can choose, and all the white actors are at the bottom of that pool, while the very best actor at the top is black, and the story makes no fuss about the race of the character in question. You would be genuinely outraged that they did not pick a white actor, even if doing so would hurt the quality of the film? Is there any scenario at all where you could imagine yourself being OK with casting an iconic character of one skin tone with an actor of a different skin tone?

Shaanyboi

Banned

For what it's worth, there's precedent of that in the comics, specifically Batman: Earth One

pants

I pretty much hated this film. Worst experience at the cinema this year, cant wait for pacific rim to wash away the taste :'(

bidguy

Banned
are people actually complaining about denzel washington? hes an amazing actor and we can be lucky if he actually gets the job.

There's nothing inherently white about Lex Luthor.

This is interesting to me because I argued strongly earlier that Lex needs to be American, and I stand by that, but he doesn't need to be white. Smart and blad will do.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I pretty much hated this film. Worst experience at the cinema this year, cant wait for pacific rim to wash away the taste :'(
Shame on you! Both movies were awesome but I liked MoS quite a bit better.

What if it's not actually an attention grab? What if the race of the character is not a factor in the story? What if the best actor for the job happens to be black and is more deserving than all the other lesser skilled white actors? Does the black actor still not get to work because he's not white, even though he would objectively do a better job and the film would be better for it? Hypothetically speaking, lets say there is a limited pool of actors from which the filmmakers can choose, and all the white actors are at the bottom of that pool, while the very best actor at the top is black, and the story makes no fuss about the race of the character in question. You would be genuinely outraged that they did not pick a white actor, even if doing so would hurt the quality of the film? Is there any scenario at all where you could imagine yourself being OK with casting an iconic character of one skin tone with an actor of a different skin tone?

In this case, nah, they shouldn't ever do it. Not because Denzel couldn't nail the character, but because there's an element of symbolic crossover in Superman with Friedrich Nietzche's ubermensch (frequently translated as superman from the German), the perfected man who provides inspiration to those around him in a post deistic world. The trouble is, that was a philosophy which in no small part inspired the Nazis. Hitler frequently used the term to describe his Aryan master race.

Making Superman's primary antagonist black would introduce a subtext of racial conflict to a character who is meant to be an inspiration to the best that lies in all humanity. Since it's obvious we don't live in a post-racial world, that reading is just unavoidable.

The primary antagonist defines the main character in a particular way that other characters don't; having Perry White or Lois or anyone else be a different race wouldn't alter the dynamic of the story in the same way (I think an interracial romance with a black Lois would reinforce what he already stands for).

Vyer

In this case, nah, they shouldn't ever do it. Not because Denzel couldn't nail the character, but because there's an element of symbolic crossover in Superman with Friedrich Nietzche's ubermensch (frequently translated as superman from the German), the perfected man who provides inspiration to those around him in a post deistic world. The trouble is, that was a philosophy which in no small part inspired the Nazis. Hitler frequently used the term to describe his Aryan master race.

Making Superman's primary antagonist black would introduce a subtext of racial conflict to a character who is meant to be an inspiration to the best that lies in all humanity. Since it's obvious we don't live in a post-racial world, that reading is just unavoidable.

The primary antagonist defines the main character in a particular way that other characters don't; having Perry White or Lois or anyone else be a different race wouldn't alter the dynamic of the story in the same way (I think an interracial romance with a black Lois would reinforce what he already stands for).

Yeah, I think that's fair. In general a change in race in Lex wouldn't bother me at all, but I could see media latching on to something like this and it overshadowing the movie itself. I think your Lois idea would have been a great one.

ReiGun

See I can get with that. I had similar thinking on it myself, tbh.

he (Luthor)needs to be inspirational to the Joe six-pack. the post Crisis version of Luthor grew up poor in the worst neighborhood in Metropolis, grew up with Perry White, his parents abused him and when he was ten or so his parents died in a car crash. this movie version could have him growing up with White as well in Suicide slum. it would be an interesting dynamic.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

I think you could get around that a little bit so long as this is Lex Luthor's motivation:

ibggE5bo44v3h5.jpg
ibntDoR6g4bkql.jpg

Ezalc

Saw it today and I didn't like it at all. I felt having Zod as the villain in an origin story is way too much of a threat, and that ending. Jesus.

Dead

well not really...yet
Wasn't Luthor black in the animated series anyway? No one would bat an eyelash if they cast a black actor to play him...

Toxi

Banned
Wasn't Luthor black in the animated series anyway? No one would bat an eyelash if they cast a black actor to play him...
It's difficult to tell exactly what he is. He could be nearly any race.
lexluthor96.jpg

For what it's worth, Clancy Brown looks white.

ReiGun

I always saw Luthor as a light skin brotha in the DCAU.

I just want a good modern Luthor on screen finally. Lex is by far my supervillain in comics. Dude is just awesome, and way better than that piece of shit Doomsday (seriously, why do people like this character so much).

Didn't read the thread completely, so forgive me if I'm trending on water that that has been covered already. I thought that the perfect scenario for Lex Luthor in the sequel is not one of bumbling criminal with hair brain schemes for beachfront property but rather one more cerebral.

Lex Luthor, imo, should capitalize on the
destruction caused by Superman and the Kryptonians,
urging the people of Earth to view Superman as a threat. Not because he is evil, but rather what his existance on Earth invites.

Also, exploit the fact that he
shot down the Predator.
If he is truly on our side, what does he have to hide?

It might be interesting to have Lex Luthor running for President in this film, positioning himself, not as a villian but rather someone that is interested in protecting humanity. Then as POTUS, he could enact policy that would be anti-Superman.

Basically a play on the fear mongering after 9/11 that resulted in the Patriot Act that still affects us today.

MisterHero

Superman and Lex had the same tan in DCAU. For some reason people only want to remember the latter. :p

You could make an argument for BTAS Harvey Dent, who was probably supposed to 'resemble' Lando Calrissian. However, like Catwoman and Penguin, these variations were reverted when DCAU abandoned the Burton looks.

I always saw Luthor as a light skin brotha in the DCAU.

I just want a good modern Luthor on screen finally. Lex is by far my supervillain in comics. Dude is just awesome, and way better than that piece of shit Doomsday (seriously, why do people like this character so much).

what is your obsession with Doomsday? nobody lists him as their favorite, he's just a big engine of destruction that's fun in small doses that's all. honestly rei, drop it already. and all white people in DCAU are that same shade of color. look at John Stewart or Amanda Waller or Vixen.

It's difficult to tell exactly what he is. He could be nearly any race.
lexluthor96.jpg

For what it's worth, Clancy Brown looks white.

he white.

Didn't read the thread completely, so forgive me if I'm trending on water that that has been covered already. I thought that the perfect scenario for Lex Luthor in the sequel is not one of bumbling criminal with hair brain schemes for beachfront property but rather one more cerebral.

Lex Luthor, imo, should capitalize on the
destruction caused by Superman and the Kryptonians,
urging the people of Earth to view Superman as a threat. Not because he is evil, but rather what his existance on Earth invites.

Also, exploit the fact that he
shot down the Predator.
If he is truly on our side, what does he have to hide?

It might be interesting to have Lex Luthor running for President in this film, positioning himself, not as a villian but rather someone that is interested in protecting humanity. Then as POTUS, he could enact policy that would be anti-Superman.

Basically a play on the fear mongering after 9/11 that resulted in the Patriot Act that still affects us today.

Honestly I loved if they introduce Lex in the sequel and have Brainic as the main villian and have Lex and Superman tag team to take down Brainic with Lex receiving most of the credit.
Then in the Third film have Lex become POTUS with plan to take down Superman.

ReiGun

what is your obsession with Doomsday? nobody lists him as their favorite, he's just a big engine of destruction that's fun in small doses that's all. honestly rei, drop it already. and all white people in DCAU are that same shade of color. look at John Stewart or Amanda Waller or Vixen.
I'll never drop it! I'll stomp and rage until DC editorial admits they were wrong and commit ritual Japanese suicide in retribution for his creation, and bury all remaining copies of "Death of Superman" in that landfill where Atari dumped E.T.

Or I'll go eat some ice cream. Wherever the night takes me.

(This is only time I've brought up Doomsday without someone else doing so. So whatever. I'll "drop it." :/)

Top Bottom