• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

Goyer and Synder claim the
killing of Zod
can be what triggers Superman to oppose
murder
. Someone wrote, and I paraphrase,
"I learnt to oppose murder without having to actually kill someone first".

Did Bruce ever kill in Batman Begins? Why did Goyer feel the need that Superman, not Batman, needed to do that to "develop" a moral stand opposing it?

killing of Zod
murder

Did Bruce ever kill in Batman Begins? Why did Goyer feel the need that Superman, not Batman, needed to do that to "develop" a moral stand opposing it?

Snyder added that, convinced Goyer to go with it.
And I suppose it's because Superman *does* have such a code that he though that would be a way to explain it, while Batman needs no such explanation.

For what it's worth, it mirrors a storyline in the comics in the 80s that explained how Superman came to that stance. Only there, after killing Zod, Superman went a little nuts and adopted a Batman-like alter ego/multiple personality until re resolved his feelings on the matter.

Lex and Doomsday vs Superman.

Lex has to be on the same level of Red Son Lex. He gets humanity to see Superman as a bad thing. Basically shows how even if Superman has good intentions, he welcomes threats that always lead to destruction. Preaches this all while secretly using Doomsday as a weapon to back up his point.

The movie ends with Superman barely squeaking out the win against Doomsday, but obviously having no clue how to handle the Lex threat.

Final scene, Bruce Wayne introduces himself to Clark Kent and says something along the lines of "You're really strong, but kinda dumb. I'm here to help."

Perfectly setting part 3 up for Worlds Finest or some form of Justice League.

My money is on a 2016 release for Part 3.
I hate that they feel the need to make Superman dumb so that Batman has a reason to hang out with the big dogs.

SmithnCo

Why was everyone in this movie so incredibly stupid? Costner's death scene was painful to watch considering he sacrificed himself to save a dog that the movie makes a point of reminding us is dead anyway in the present day, Zod inexplicably wanted to turn Earth into Krypton rather than have his people spend the 15 seconds it took for him to adapt to the atmosphere so he could continue to be a god, the high council of Krypton knowing full well that Zod believed the planet would destroy itself decided to punish him for treason by getting him off the planet where he believed he would be safe, Clark steals an alien ship right in front of the military who just...what...abandon chasing after it because it's too tough, the Kryptonians imprison Lois Lane in a room that inexplicably has a computer console in it, Jor-El explains to Lois how to stop them making sure that she will explain it to Clark rather than explaining it directly to him when they talk face to face five minutes later, Lois out of nowhere has a voice-over narration talking about how hard it is to find someone who's spent 33 years covering his tracks and then finds him within a matter of 4 steps...

I have a real problem with just about every single person in this film, but most of all Goyer for a mindblowingly idiotic script.

Almost forgot Superman's Zod-killing moment came mere seconds after the two of them likely killed thousands of people but Zod burning to death another three people was the straw that broke the camel's back for him.

Pretty much my problem with it. There is so much contrived BS that lofty speeches and explosions can't really hide it. Goyer needs to start getting his act together.

Wasn't that good but wasn't that bad. Those are my thoughts. It's not Batman/iron man/raimi's spiderman/avengers/etc... level, but it's also not as bad as amazing spiderman. So there's that! I did like Cavill. Also Stabler was in the movie!

First half was definitely the best. Love origin stuff. Crowe is great too.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
lol WB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGDP5LSbox8

Wonder if the reason Cavill and Snyder are going to be at comic-con is to announce MOS 2.

Though I'm sure the video is just related to 75 years of Supes being around.

Watched this yesterday.

60-80 minutes of boooring then...

OH MY GOD! It's the best Dragon Ball movie we'll ever get!.

Yeah, that's all I can say about the movie, overall....not bad.

Just watched this a couple hours ago. It was so intense for the last half of the movie! Really enjoyed it and the superman actor felt so perfect for the role in terms of looks

killing of Zod
murder

I actually really liked that.

killing of Zod
murder

Bruce's actions kill a number of people in Batman Begins. So he indirectly kills a number of people, but once he's back in Gotham, he's on the path of no killing, until the end where he allows someone to die...

Why was everyone in this movie so incredibly stupid? Costner's death scene was painful to watch considering he sacrificed himself to save a dog that the movie makes a point of reminding us is dead anyway in the present day, Zod inexplicably wanted to turn Earth into Krypton rather than have his people spend the 15 seconds it took for him to adapt to the atmosphere so he could continue to be a god, the high council of Krypton knowing full well that Zod believed the planet would destroy itself decided to punish him for treason by getting him off the planet where he believed he would be safe, Clark steals an alien ship right in front of the military who just...what...abandon chasing after it because it's too tough, the Kryptonians imprison Lois Lane in a room that inexplicably has a computer console in it, Jor-El explains to Lois how to stop them making sure that she will explain it to Clark rather than explaining it directly to him when they talk face to face five minutes later, Lois out of nowhere has a voice-over narration talking about how hard it is to find someone who's spent 33 years covering his tracks and then finds him within a matter of 4 steps...

I have a real problem with just about every single person in this film, but most of all Goyer for a mindblowingly idiotic script.

Almost forgot Superman's Zod-killing moment came mere seconds after the two of them likely killed thousands of people but Zod burning to death another three people was the straw that broke the camel's back for him.

Zod wasn't just terraforming for his soldiers, but for the numerous kids still in those Matrix birthing-pods, who would likely have a shittier time focusing themselves than the battle-hardened general and his crew. Hell, we saw what happened with Clark when it happened, and I highly doubt there's gonna be a mom to come talk them down when they start going berserk.

The Pa Kent sacrifice wasn't just about the dog. Hell, it wasn't about the dog at all. It was more about what he was willing to risk in order to prevent Clark from exposing his powers and the potential fallout. Shit, that was pretty much his whole thing: the fear of the possible backlash.

I don't understand where you're going with the Kryptonian high-council, but I don't think they ever really believed/cared about what Zod or Jor-El thought of the planet's safety. They probably thought Krypton would still survive, which is consistent with their characterization in the comics - ignoring/mocking Joe-El's fears of Krypton's impending doom. And it was plainly obvious that Zod didn't want to be sent off for "re-conditioning", he still wanted to help save/preserve Krypton. It was never about wanting to be "safe".

How the hell could Zod's crew know that Lois had been given a command key, or that Clark would even still carry one on him to give to her (I'd assume he gave it to her after Fairs checked her/if she checked her at all)? They probably just stuck her in whatever room thinking "what the fuck's the reporter gonna do?". And why is it "inexplicable" to assume that a ship that big wouldn't have multiple console rooms, if not consoles (I'm not saying a whole bunch, but maybe a few).

I don't think it was ever stated that they "abandoned" tracking it. The ship went blasting off to God-knows-where, and they have no idea where it went or how far. Even if they did have some idea of where it eventually landed, Zod got to it and moved it again, so unless they put a beacon on it, they'd be screwed. Besides, that crew might've been a little preoccupied with the sudden alien invasion that broke out days later.

You do realize he's only been alive for thirty-three years, he's probably been at this for much less than that. The "lifetime" part was exaggerated, and I didn't really have a problem with it. It was done for a piece where she's talking about this "guardian angel" and how you'd go about looking for a person who, despite his fantastic actions, would try to stay hidden. She never mentioned how "tough" or hard it was.

As for the "Superman and Zod killed thousands of people" thing, BobbyRoberts buried that dead horse. The overwhelming majority or damage done to Metropolis was done by Zod/his crew via the World Engine/Terraforming machine/Laser Dubstep Machine of Death. When they fight, they're going through empty/abandoned areas like the office floor Zod tears through with his heat vision. The one time Clark could be deemed partially culpable for possible deaths is when Zod throws him through a line of office buildings.

Bruce's actions kill a number of people in Batman Begins. So he indirectly kills a number of people, but once he's back in Gotham, he's on the path of no killing, until the end where he allows someone to die...

I had a lot less problem with Superman killing in MoS than I did with Batman saying "well, I won't kill you but I won't save you" to Ras. It's a weasely way of killing somebody and then acting like it didn't count-- and he also *could* have saved him. It was a capricious act.

SimleuqiR

Can't wait for mine.
3AQmK.gif

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Won't it be November?

I still think it will be. That's what I have been thinking this whole time, I' be shocked if it were earlier and I don't think they're gonna hold it till Dec.

That Mondo poster is so awesome, mine will be here tomorrow :D Now to find a nice frame.

SimleuqiR

I still think it will be. That's what I have been thinking this whole time, I' be shocked if it were earlier and I don't think they're gonna hold it till Dec.

That Mondo poster is so awesome, mine will be here tomorrow :D Now to find a nice frame.

There is a framing place 5 minutes away from my office. Same place I saw this masterpiece framed:

11%2B-%2B1

Going to take my poster there to frame it.

Just saw the movie yesterday. This was one of those movies that gets worse as the movie goes along. Started off OK. But once he landed on Earth and the first scene is he's holding that structure up for the helicopter to escape, I knew what the rest of the movie was going to be like.

It delves into 30 minutes of action, one minute of backstory, 10 minutes of action, 3 seconds of Luis and Clark talking to each other, 20 minutes of action, ad infinity.

I was about to scream out loud "Calm the fuck down!!!"

Felt like I was watching The Avengers 2 :/

Matrix

Who the heck is Luis?

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me who this character is. It's driving me insane.

Emwitus

Repost. Just watched today. Best superman movie ever. Frak the haters. Im tired of this emo superman and melodramatic crap they throw in batman. For the first time ever i felt that superman was really "super". The theme.... Oh my, loved it. Thread title couldn't be more right.

Just spent the whole day listening to the OST on repeat.

I gotta say, it's been a very long time coming, but I think just for...

'I Will Find Him'
'Flight'
'If You Love These People'

This is easily the best pump up/inspirational soundtrack since Rocky IV.

The horns and the drums in this are just so god damn magnificent. I love them to death. Piano stuff is fantastic as well. Zimmer's best soundtrack in my opinion.

SOOOOO EXCITED to see what he does on the next film.

mrkgoo

You don't need to be hyped about a movie, or have not seen yet it, to discuss it.

I'm telling you guys, this thread is straight up hidden here.
No of course not, but the movie has come and gone and most people who had anything to say about already has.

It's not like the film had multiple layers of depth or anything to be revealed on subsequent views.

jett

D-Member
I think this movie might be one of the most disappointing "summer movies" in recent memory, for me. Fucking disingenous, bullshit trailers.

I think this movie might be one of the most disappointing "summer movies" in recent memory, for me. Fucking disingenous, bullshit trailers.

Agree with this, i watched Superman 1 & 2 heaps of times before and after seeing Man of Steel..... very disappointed considering the trailers had established such hype.

I would automatically buy the dvd/blu-ray if they had the trailers on them... i'll live with the youtube versions i guess.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Just saw this on a plane. Eh, it was ok. City wide mass destruction was nice eye candy, but I can understand the criticisms of such a thing, in the context of the overall plot and character arc.

Top Bottom