• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cats? There is more than that blue one?

Screw thinking about reading this then :(

There's a second, female cat. Needless to say that she is only there as a partner for Natsu's cat. And some other third cat is there too. And I vaguely remember some sort of plot that involved a shitload of them. But it was stupid, so I don't remember the details.

Speaking of Fairy Tail, did later scanlation fix the naming issues? I still remember reading the earlier translations, where it was Gerard, Gerald, Gellald or whatever. Same with Gajeel or whatnot. Absolutely confusing and annoying. How can this happen in the first place? Is it so difficult to translate names from Japanese to English?

Kurita

Speaking of Fairy Tail, did later scanlation fix the naming issues? I still remember reading the earlier translations, where it was Gerard, Gerald, Gellald or whatever. Same with Gajeel or whatnot. Absolutely confusing and annoying. How can this happen in the first place? Is it so difficult to translate names from Japanese to English?

Well actually it can be pretty tricky yes.

They blatantly ignore the spellings offered by Hiro Mashima himself. The anime and Kodansha and the eng translator and Fairy Tail fans for them uses Jellal, but the scanners continued to call him Gerard for some long time, fortunately they changed

Gradivus

Well as for that DBZ talk before.

Dragonball is one of my favourites, I enjoy the adventure genre feeling much more than DBZ part to follow later. During my time in school, it was either DBZ, Pokemon and Yugioh on TV for anime wise shows (I hated the later two). It wasn't until a friend recommended the FMA series to me that I started taking a deeper look into anime.

Btw, I'm off to Japan sometime in May. I'm in need of some recommendations on what manga to look out for battle manga wise. I feel I want to read some stuff that's similar to JoJo Part 2.

People said before to look into The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer, so I will do so.

Some of the ones I've looked into so far

Fist of the North Star (Good)
Hunter x Hunter (It had a few good arcs, the later ones were boring)
Naruto (Not my cup of tea)
Bleach (Lost interest around Vol 20)
FMA (Loved it)
One Piece (New World is pretty boring, hope the new arc delivers)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That blatantly ignore the spellings offered by Hiro Mashima himself. The anime and Kodansha and the eng translator and Fairy Tail fans for them uses Jellal, but the scanners continue to call him Gerard for some strange reason...

So does the official translation. You realize Hiro Mashima's "official" translation for Erza is Elsa, right?

Given that his last name is "Fernandes," my guess is that Mashima just has a really bad grasp on the English language and he actually intended "Gerard" rather than the random made up name "Jellal."

Cats? There is more than that blue one?

Screw thinking about reading this then :(

...there's an entire country of cats.

Gradivus

ジェラール Jerarru Jellal
ガジル Gajiru Gajeel
Japanese romaji English

That's what they pretty much look like in Japanese. Some can be, it really depends on how rare the name is in the English language for me at least.

Btw, I'm off to Japan sometime in May. I'm in need of some recommendations on what manga to look out for battle manga wise. I feel I want to read some stuff that's similar to JoJo Part 2.

People said before to look into The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer, so I will do so.

Law of Ueki
Arachnid
Kongou Banchou

So does the official translation. You realize Hiro Mashima's "official" translation for Erza is Elsa, right?

Given that his last name is "Fernandes," my guess is that Mashima just has a really bad grasp on the English language and he actually intended "Gerard" rather than the random made up name "Jellal."

Well his tweets do turn out to be gerard, and elsa. But if those were really their names wouldnt at least the consulting translator from kodansha use those, if they were the true intent?

Gradivus

There's a second, female cat. Needless to say that she is only there as a partner for Natsu's cat. And some other third cat is there too. And I vaguely remember some sort of plot that involved a shitload of them. But it was stupid, so I don't remember the details.

...there's an entire country of cats.

It's bad enough that there is more than one. The most annoying thing about those animal mascots in general is they tend to hog all the room in the tourist shops in Japan. I remember having to try and find gifts for the family in 2011 in Hokkaido, half of the stores were just filled with items of Chopper & Luffy, Hello Kitty and the dogs from Naruto.

It's bad enough that there is more than one. The most annoying thing about those animal mascots in general is they tend to hog all the room in the tourist shops in Japan. I remember having to try and find gifts for the family in 2011 in Hokkaido, half of the stores were just filled with items of Chopper & Luffy, Hello Kitty and the dogs from Naruto.

Kon, Gamakichi, and Gamatatsu get no love in JPN?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Well his tweets do turn out to be gerard, and elsa. But if those were really their names wouldnt at least the consulting translator from kodansha use those, if they were the true intent?

No, he writes her name as "Elsa" in English within the Manga itself when her name is written down on a board in the background; this is also in the anime. The translators just don't listen to him because there's already a fanbase that isn't willing to switch to Elsa.

Yonafunu

Nobody calls the Chimra Ant arc boring. That arc, together with the Water 7/Enies Lobby arc, is one of the best in shounen.

As for recommendations, definitely The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer. It's perfect. Not too long, not too short, great plot and concept. You should also try Sengoku Youko, by the same mangaka.

Gradivus

Kon, Gamakichi, and Gamatatsu get no love in JPN?

They would in places like Akihabara and other anime related areas in Japan, but I could never see them in town that are located outside of the major cities.

Nobody calls the Chimra Ant arc boring. That arc, together with the Water 7/Enies Lobby arc, is one of the best in shounen.

As for recommendations, definitely The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer. It's perfect. Not too long, not too short, great plot and concept. You should also try Sengoku Youko, by the same mangaka.

I just found it too slow my liking, far too many battles making the arc last for ages (132 Chapters).

Not Popular 37

VcWTHnV.png

Oh hey, quasi-normal conversation with someone other than the slut. Different vibe than usual from this chapter, but that's fine too.

Reknoc

Not seeing the problem here.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras

Dragonball is one of my favourites, I enjoy the adventure genre feeling much more than DBZ part to follow later. During my time in school, it was either DBZ, Pokemon and Yugioh on TV for anime wise shows (I hated the later two). It wasn't until a friend recommended the FMA series to me that I started taking a deeper look into anime.

Fist of the North Star (Good)
Naruto (Not my cup of tea)
Bleach (Lost interest around Vol 20)
FMA (Loved it)
One Piece (New World is pretty boring, hope the new arc delivers)

Definitely recommended. The damn thing was so much fun.

Angry Grimace

They would in places like Akihabara and other anime related areas in Japan, but I could never see them in town that are located outside of the major cities.

I just found it too slow my liking, far too many battles making the arc last for ages (132 Chapters).

I've always gotten the impression being into nerdy crap including anime was less socially acceptable in Japan than it is in the US.

FYC

Banned
Trigun Maximum Omnibus (Vol. 1-3, Chap. 1- 20)

This is awesome. Vash and Wolfwood are both hilarious and badass together, some of the facial expressions they made killed me. Please stick together for the rest of the series. Happy to see Millie and Meryl return, they're always fun. I'm still fairly confused by the ending of the original Trigun, but I assume that'll be explained in good time. Great action too, the fights were fantastic. Thankfully, the second omibus is out next week, so I'll be getting that. Hopefully they do omnibus's for the entire series. Maybe I should watch the anime in the meantime?

Also, that one guy from the Gung Ho Guns looks and acts like Aizen if he used a saxophone as a weapon.

Kurita

I've always gotten the impression being into nerdy crap including anime was less socially acceptable in Japan than it is in the US.

I don't know...
A lot of people read mangas/watch animes in Japan including "normal" people (don't know how to explain but I guess you understand), I just assume that really hardcore fans are labelled as creepy.

upandaway

I just wandered into the anime thread for a bit, and oh my. I guess now I know why some people here have avatars of panels from hentai manga.

Gradivus

Well from what I've come across.

Tons of the girls I know in Tokyo don't read manga, yet they buy chopper/crayon shin-chan masks for the Photo booth (purikura is what the Japanese call it), have one piece accessories and such due to the cuteness. Guys, not so much.

I was walking around Tokyo around 10-12 at night, I walk into some of the arcades there and find business men ( I guess in their 30/40's) having a go at the claw machine trying to get a Kizaru doll.

I really think as long as the person doesn't give off the vibe that he lives in the parent's basement stereotype, they tend to be ok.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
So it's: blahblah |OTL| F-: Not A lick of constructive conversation here

?
Griffith is a big jerk! All that nonsense about having a good reason for doing it is nonsense. That part is just nonstop craziness.

The flashback is all about character development (understatement) but from now on, Berserk steps on the worldbuilding gas pedal hardcore (especially compared to the flashback where it was intentionally iffy), which I think you'll really like!
I look forward to it when I start the next arc a bit later.
"Griffith is a big jerk" is a somewhat accurate statement.
YEAH.

Kurita

When Murata was drawing on Ustream I saw that members of a quite popular J-Rock band were also watching it and talked about it on Twitter with Murata.
So yeah, everybody can like mangas!

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
I only watch Jojo.
Used to watch Toriko until I realised how terribly censored it was compared to the manga.

Angry Grimace

So it's: blahblah |OTL| F-: Not A lick of constructive conversation here

?

I look forward to it when I start the next arc a bit later.

YEAH.

I don't think we need the "F-" we already did that in OT7.

upandaway

AnimeGAF is cool. Even though I only watch Jojo and Space Brothers it's fun to chat there.
Not including HxH and OP, I usually watch ~15 shows every season (this one only 9 though). I just don't know what to do with those guys, but they're fine.

Also I'm somewhat scared to go there out of fear for my life. I'm pretty sure they'll kill me if they saw my full dropped anime list.
2CmwQGQ.png

all of the stuff with less than 10 episodes watched are actually sequels

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Just don't be arrogant and don't poke the sacred cows (changes according to the season) too much and you'll fit in fine~

Kurita

Not including HxH and OP, I usually watch ~15 shows every season (this one only 9 though). I just don't know what to do with those guys, but they're fine.

Also I'm somewhat scared to go there out of fear for my life. I'm pretty sure they'll kill me if they saw my full dropped anime list.
http://i.imgur.com/2CmwQGQ.png[/MG]
[spoiler]all of the stuff with less than 10 episodes watched are actually sequels[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

I'll just watch Shingeki No Kyojin next season I guess... Don't know how people find the time to watch so many shows at the same time. I know I can't, especially because I read tons of mangas.
I watch many dramas and sentais though, heh.

http://i.imgur.com/2CmwQGQ.png[/MG]
[spoiler]all of the stuff with less than 10 episodes watched are actually sequels[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

The people arent as bad as you are making them :/ assuming youre serious.

And I think most people are watching much less than 10 non continuing shows a season, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom