• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fairy Tail: my current favorite.

One Piece: after seeing glowing praise weekly and "suffering" through Naruto/Bleach (good or bad), why am I not reading this again..?

Some praise isnt unwarranted, and its a good read, but dont go in a story on the level as some of the posts equating it to a LoZ:OoT/JRR Tolkien masterpiece or you will be disappointed.

Aye for Fairy Tail.

Steroyd

@ Stat
Law vs Ace. Fight starts, they're both at opposing ends of the room. Ace fills entire room with fire. Law... cuts the fire with haki. Something in Ace's body gets cut (and he doesn't get hurt because it's Law's ability). Law gets damage and Ace doesn't and Law can't lock on on any of Ace's body parts. Fight over.

But Law can switch out himself and the ground he's standing on, don't forget that pieces of the marine battleship was floating like leaves in his room.

And? The point is that Smoker has been set up to be Luffy´s rival for a freaking long time. He had at him 3 times btw. Logue town, Alabasta and the war. Smoker followed him, hell when he knew that Luffy was on the island he went straight to it. Don´t tell me that Smoker and Luffy did not have rivalry/animosity going on for the longest time. The only one i can see to have a more important rivalry is Akainu and Coby.

That´s just shitty writing, but it´s Oda i should have expected it. I guess my expectations for one piece was higher than i thought.

Yes mr. masterclass writer who thinks bleach has best character interactions of all shonen I will definitely take your dumb stance seriously.

upandaway

Sure he could have, but that would've been counteractive to a fight that Oda wanted to show.

If we're talking about hypothetical situations where one is pitted against the other, I'm not sure why it wouldn't go like this. I mean, how much shit did Law do before doing that? It was simply a bit of dodging and shit.
Hypothetical situation: Someone up against Robin, she sprouts a leg inside his mouth (as long as his mouth is at any second open and she can see it). Breaks his face and kills him.

Law can't lock on organs from long range and I don't think he could even with complete mastery of his fruit. The only things he ever moved at long range were huge things like the ship with water (though I'm not sure what happened with the personality switch).

Steroyd

And? The point is that Smoker has been set up to be Luffy´s rival for a freaking long time. He had at him 3 times btw. Logue town, Alabasta and the war. Smoker followed him, hell when he knew that Luffy was on the island he went straight to it. Don´t tell me that Smoker and Luffy did not have rivalry/animosity going on for the longest time. The only one i can see to have a more important rivalry is Akainu and Coby.

Well it seems like unrequited animosity/rivalry on Smoker's part, Luffy just ran when he found out he couldn't take on a logia like Smoker.

Luffy at least acknowledges Coby's dream, of wanting to be an admiral.

Logue town, *smacks head* that's what it was called!

Ace in Law's domain.

Law removes Ace's heart.

Law crushes it.

Fight over. Ace doesn't do shit.

Law's shit is really broken.

You seem to be missing the point that Law had to get close and he hid what he was doing from smoker .
If the move was that hax and he could have done it from anywhere why not do at the start of the fight .

upandaway

But Law can switch out himself and the ground he's standing on, don't forget that pieces of the marine battleship was floating like leaves in his room.
We don't know that he's strong enough to detach a big piece of ground connected to the rest of the earth. If he does that, well shit, just switch Ace with a block of ground under the floor and suffocate him.

survivor

Banned
Some praise isnt unwarranted, and its a good read, but dont go in a story on the level as some of the posts equating it to a LoZ:OoT/JRR Tolkien masterpiece or you will be disappointed.

Aye for Fairy Tail.
LoZ is a masterpiece? lol

Hypothetical situation: Someone up against Robin, she sprouts a leg inside his mouth (as long as his mouth is at any second open and she can see it). Breaks his face and kills him.

Law can't lock on organs from long range and I don't think he could even with complete mastery of his fruit. The only things he ever moved at long range were huge things like the ship with water (though I'm not sure what happened with the personality switch).

Pretty much. Akainu will just shower the battlefield with magma meteors and Law will be screwed.

I seriously don't see how Smoker losing is an issue here its like this is DBZ where higher power = win, and its obvious that the only reason luffy couldn't take Smoker back in the day was because he had no way of actually hitting him, for example Luffy was able to take Crocodile because he learn of a way to hit him.

Steroyd

We don't know that he's strong enough to detach a big piece of ground connected to the rest of the earth. If he does that, well shit, just switch Ace with a block of ground under the floor and suffocate him.

He switched bullets with snow, so I'm assuming anything within his domain is fair game, and he flipped a whole battleship for pete's sake. :lol

survivor

Banned
I seriously don't see how Smoker losing is an issue here its like this is DBZ where higher power = win, and its obvious that the only reason luffy couldn't take Smoker back in the day was because he had no way of actually hitting him, for example Luffy was able to take Crocodile because he learn of a way to hit him.
I'm in the position that a fight between Luffy and Smoker right now will be an easy win for Luffy. But dunno, this whole haki stuff and smoke nonsense gets confusing sometimes.

Skyward Sword does have Moeda.
Best thing ever. Along with the theme song which is pretty godly.

As a game absolutely.

I kinda meant story wise since I don't see why else it will be lumped together with LOTR. Then again, I didn't play any Zelda game outside of Phantom Hourglass so maybe they have a good story.

That will be too broken. Plus I hate Magneto so I hope that fucker doesn't influence Oda too much.

His ability right now is mostly repelling and attracting metal so I'm guessing one possible upgrade is changing the shape of metal to whatever he sees fit.

LOL, did Reed Richards influence Luffy in any way? I think we'll be alright

upandaway

He switched bullets with snow, so I'm assuming anything within his domain is fair game, and he flipped a whole battleship for pete's sake. :lol
Yeah but man, all of those things are.. things. They're not really parts of things, or at least can be disconnected with minimal effort like water or snow.

Wait actually y'know what. I think the secret to this nonsense is that Law can't disconnect things from long range (unless he's, well, flailing his sword around cutting the entire united states).

Yeah, even if it takes "hours" on a single panel keep in mind how hard manga-ka work and how much time they spend on drawing manga everyday. Sans the color, they have to make something that is normally made in a month here in America every week.

I wouldn't dismiss the amount of work going into American comics. First of all, they're longer, 30-36 pages compared to 15-19 and in full color. Furthermore, they're done with 2-5 people, which can actually be less than what many mangaka get with assistants.

The main difference is that comic books are generally made by professional and classically trained artists working on things that don't belong to them, whereas manga is generally made by amateur artists that get to create their own work. The biggest weakness of the American comic book industry is that it stifles creativity by design, whereas manga is inundated by shit artists. Both can learn from each other.

Am I wrong, or were the Sailor Scouts never really that powerful? Conversely, Dio was broken even in Part 1.

They're gonna get curb stomped.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Hitman Reborn: C+

Amano's characterization is just off the wall. She has characters change so quickly. The only consistent character has been Reborn, and that's because of his motives and their clarity. Everyone else? Just weird.

Tsuna's biggest trial was the future arc. This trial was great because it wasn't something Reborn had any control over, yet Tsuna still had to overcome it, and quite a trial it was. Stuff like this that Reborn is apparently pulling the strings behind? I'm not so inclined to. This representative battle is moving at such a fast pace that things are being missed. Suddenly, Iemetsu goes from complete manly badass to getting destroyed easily off-screen? What the fuck? I don't mind quick pacing, but not at the detriment of the battles, which are the only things that matter in this kind of arc where character development/interaction is taking a backseat. Still, I want more plot, so it'll be interesting to see who the fuck these Vindice people are.

Naruto: C-

I expected to give this chapter an F. But I can't completely hate on the first 6 or 7 pages of this chapter. The art was a nice change of pace and the action wasn't totally horrible at all since they were doing more than standing there.

But then it went into "BOND" wtf retcon mode which felt completely forced and totally unnecessary. Kabuto is a pig. Thanks, Kishimoto. How did you manage to make Sasuke and Itachi's reunion so boring after all this time? Not to mention, Sasuke's sudden change of character is a massive problem. Not because he changed, I expected that, but because him and Itachi haven't even talked yet. Sasuke doesn't even know for sure if that's Itachi...Itachi hasn't taken time to answer any questions, nor has he given Sasuke the time of day. Instead, we are supposed to believe that they are the best of brothers once more? Fuck no, it's not believable here, Kishimoto.

Bleach: B+

ZgLYT.png
"Fledglings like us cannot possibly understand the pain the captain commander is experiencing now" - This is coming from fucking Byakuya. Awesome.

If this were any other arc, the entire chapter would've been Sasakibe's funeral, and that's all we would've gotten. I'm still getting used to how much Kubo has improved the pacing for this war arc. Ichigo rounds up his friends (we are already seeing more nakama interaction in this arc than in the last two arcs combined) and Urahara comes and they're already moving to Hueco Mundo. Shit is getting real.

Sasakibe's backstory can be seen as a retcon; "oh, this is just an excuse to why we haven't seen him do shit"...reasonable complaint. I can also see the other side of it. He's kind of like the loyal dude that is never actually on the scene but him being the Vice Captain of Yamamoto speaks for itself. The whole him getting KO'd by Ichigo in one hit is a problem, but I'll chalk that up to Ichigo catching everyone off guard...he did beat Byakuya. But, what's done is done. I think that this is more of a plot device for us to finally see Yamamoto emotionally invested in this war. Which is good.

Ishida and Ichigo's relationship...and its eventual downfall is again foreshadowed. Did it say that "Ichigo and Urahara" attack Hueco Mundo? What? ALREADY? OH SHIT. This bankai stealing shit is interesting to say the least.

PK Gaming

I'm laughing my ass over Beam's freak out. "Smoker's gunna die noeeeeeees"

It's like a kid crying after watching their favorite character get hurt.
1. Calm down
2. One Piece
3. Luffy and Smoker are rivals true, but it isn't one of the central themes of OP, so having isn't that big of a deal.
4. 300-400 chapters? More like 20-30. It was built up from loguetown to alabasta, then dropped and resurfaced during the war arc > punk hazard.

As for me, about this mystery girl. Though i'd be lying if I said something actually happened. We talked about manga some more, but this time we focused on how much bullshit university is. We exchanged contact info (facebook, number) which is very cool.

Her name?

you must be out of your fucking mind if you think i want to know

Sasakibe's backstory can be seen as a retcon; "oh, this is just an excuse to why we haven't seen him do shit"...reasonable complaint. I can also see the other side of it. He's kind of like the loyal dude that is never actually on the scene but him being the Vice Captain of Yamamoto speaks for itself. The whole him getting KO'd by Ichigo in one hit is a problem, but I'll chalk that up to Ichigo catching everyone off guard...he did beat Byakuya. But, what's done is done. I think that this is more of a plot device for us to finally see Yamamoto emotionally invested in this war. Which is good.

If you're implying that Ichigo beating Byakuya was because he caught him off guard then... we are no longer nakama.
If you're implying that Ichigo OHKO Saki whatever makes sense because he beat Byakuya then... :)

survivor

Banned
I'm so sorry
Hey, it's not my problem. I was a Genesis fanboy as a kid and then graduated to PC gaming sometime in elementary school. Never really had a system to play Zelda on until I got a DS.

But then it went into "BOND" wtf retcon mode which felt completely forced and totally unnecessary. Kabuto is a pig. Thanks, Kishimoto. How did you manage to make Sasuke and Itachi's reunion so boring after all this time? Not to mention, Sasuke's sudden change of character is a massive problem. Not because he changed, I expected that, but because him and Itachi haven't even talked yet. Sasuke doesn't even know for sure if that's Itachi...Itachi hasn't taken time to answer any questions, nor has he given Sasuke the time of day. Instead, we are supposed to believe that they are the best of brothers once more? Fuck no, it's not believable here, Kishimoto.
They really should have done all the BOND stuff first then get to the Kabuto fight

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
If you're implying that Ichigo beating Byakuya was because he caught him off guard then... we are no longer nakama.
If you're implying that Ichigo OHKO Saki whatever makes sense because he beat Byakuya then... :)
I'm saying that it's a combination of both. Ichigo caught Sasakibe by surprise...none of them expected him to show up. As a matter of fact, they had never even seen Ichigo's face before. Him stopping the execution and shit was all random as hell.

Then, I'm saying that Ichigo wasn't just a pushover, he did beat Byakuya, so it's obvious that he was strong. Combination of underestimating opponent + being caught off guard + an actual strong opponent can equate to the outcome we got...it's stretching it, but it's not totally unreasonable.

I expected to give this chapter an F. But I can't completely hate on the first 6 or 7 pages of this chapter. The art was a nice change of pace and the action wasn't totally horrible at all since they were doing more than standing there.

This and other posts are difficult to understand. The entire underlying theme of the manga evokes such harsh reactions? Sasuke is supposed to just come out with Amaterasu and Kagutsuchi to destroy Itachi out of spite and anger for for his hate of the ninja world and brother? I think it was vital for showing us that they are brothers, it transcends death, space, time, and circumstances, and that Sasuke is still a kid at heart and willing to give things the benefit of the doubt. When Itachi and Sasuke threw down in the past they didnt even leave on off terms. It would be OoC if he responded other than what Kishimoto has written for them. They already dealed with when they will talk, the opponent needs to be brought down first.

PK Gaming

I'm saying that it's a combination of both. Ichigo caught Sasakibe by surprise...none of them expected him to show up. As a matter of fact, they had never even seen Ichigo's face before. Him stopping the execution and shit was all random as hell.

Then, I'm saying that Ichigo wasn't just a pushover, he did beat Byakuya, so it's obvious that he was strong. Combination of underestimating opponent + being caught off guard + an actual strong opponent can equate to the outcome we got...it's stretching it, but it's not totally unreasonable.

Fine, fine. I still think that Ichigo outright surpassed Byakuya as a fighter, and if he wasn't fooling around / wasn't burdened by an illegitimate handicap, he would have wrecked his shit.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
They really should have done all the BOND stuff first then get to the Kabuto fight
I think that this would've solved a lot of problems when it comes to their chemistry on screen in this battle. There's really no reason why Kishimoto couldn't have done it this way.
This and other posts are difficult to understand...
No, the entire point of Kishimoto dedicating all of that time Sasuke's arcs in part 2 was to show how he's gone off the deep end. The underlying theme of Sasuke's entire character is to evoke harsh emotions, yes.

Here´s a quote from another forum
And I don't know why people are so upset over Chojiro having a bankai. Having mastered a bankai, and never striving for anything more means you won't be that strong.

You know who else has (probably)mastered bankai, and got whooped by a pre-bankai Ichigo? Ikkaku. You know who else fears being considered for a captain position if somebody if they find out about his bankai? Ikkaku. AND you know who else is content with their position in the gotei? Ikkaku.

Having bankai, being content, and being considered for a captain position=/=Strong.
Because if Chojiro didn't strive for anything but being by Yama's side, there's no reason he should have improved after mastering bankai.

Which is why I am comparing him to Ikkaku. Ikkaku's likely had his bankai for more than 10 years, which would be enough time to master it. Yet he hasn't appeared to have improved at all outside of his bankai. He's content with being by Kenpachi's side, and doesn't want to become a captain.

And he's weaksauce. He's literally in the same position as Chojiro is. The only thing Chojiro has over him is age.

I kinda meant story wise since I don't see why else it will be lumped together with LOTR. Then again, I didn't play any Zelda game outside of Phantom Hourglass so maybe they have a good story.

Well similar to One Piece, fans equate the story of LoZ:OoT to be on the same level of something genre defining, such as the story found in a JRR Tolkien masterpiece such as LOTR. And similarly, after playing and reading all, my reactions from them were to be expected, and I guess why I made the comparison above.

I'm surprised i haven't seen Kreed come in yet and say "i told so" about smoker lol.

As for the rivalry its actually more one sided to smoker since he's the one that wants to stop him while Luffy just runs away once he sees him. But given the fact the fight outcomes have been pretty one sided i think people wanted to see if this rivalry evolves.

Thanks to this fight though Law just threw a spanner in all of that.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Damn, Smoker.

I really didn't know who I wanted to win that fight.

Law is something else. Something tells me that he's next to nothing compared to the progress Luffy has made though.

EDIT: Also, I don't think Smoker is a "rival" to Luffy. Never has been. He's just a smart and powerful marine that has Luffy on his radar because he's been around and captured a lot of pirates. Smoker is not the Garp to Luffy's Roger IMO. Luffy has most definitely passed Smoker in strength by now. It'll be sad to see him fall behind but it's gotta happen. The dude is getting old, he just lost to Law who isn't even dedicated to pure combat strength like Luffy and Kid are.

Luffy's never really had any true rivals(in strength and ambition) until he met the other supernovas. Then there's Coby, I can't wait to see the progress he's made. He showed signs of some powerful Haki during the War.

No, the entire point of Kishimoto dedicating all of that time Sasuke's arcs in part 2 was to show how he's gone off the deep end. The underlying theme of Sasuke's entire character is to evoke harsh emotions, yes.

Which Naruto Part 2 was that? To me, Sasuke's character has been one to evoke hope for the future and hope for a better ninja world that doesnt leave teens in situations where they feel lost and confused guided by revenge, and trying to stifle yet still embrace bonds they forged years ago. From that perspective its difficult to get any harsh and dark vibes from Sasuke.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Which Naruto Part 2 was that? To me, Sasuke's character has been one to evoke hope for the future and hope for a better ninja world that doesnt leave teens in situations where they feel lost and confused guided by revenge, and trying to stifle yet still embrace bonds they forged years ago. From that perspective its difficult to get any harsh and dark vibes from Sasuke.
why me sad

Yet all of those was strongly linked to the person standing beside him right now so if Itachi can cause The Sauce to suffer, he could possibly reverse that also.

Will it work though is for Kishi to decide.

survivor

Banned
I'm surprised i haven't seen Kreed come in yet and say "i told so" about smoker lol.

As for the rivalry its actually more one sided to smoker since he's the one that wants to stop him while Luffy just runs away once he sees him. But given the fact the fight outcomes have been pretty one sided i think people wanted to see if this rivalry evolves.

Thanks to this fight though Law just threw a spanner in all of that.

Smoker's era is done.

All hail CobyxLuffy rivalry.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I'm the first one who was defending the stupid actions of Sasuke by saying "Well, it's reasonable considering what he's gone through...and it's for Itachi" and everyone said "BUT EVERYONE HAS HAD TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS! LOOK AT GAARA, HE AINT COMPLAINING NO MO"...

But even I think this is just badly done. The turnaround time (or lackthereof) of Sasuke's emotions is ridiculously unrealistic.

Kusagari

Is this a joke? The same Sasuke who was fine with killing Karin to get revenge on Danzo?

What hope for a better future does the man who wants to destroy Konoha evoke?

Mr. Fix

Luffy's never really had any true rivals(in strength and ambition) until he met the other supernovas.He showed signs of some powerful Haki during the War.

Blackbeard. Their first meeting showed that connection really well. Not to mention Blackbeard is the opposite of Luffy design-wise too.

Solune

As for me, about this mystery girl. Though i'd be lying if I said something actually happened. We talked about manga some more, but this time we focused on how much bullshit university is. We exchanged contact info (facebook, number) which is very cool.

Her name?

you must be out of your fucking mind if you think i want to know
Mystery girl. events go nowhere.

PK Gaming
In a town where you live
(Today, 11:01 AM)

Is this a joke? The same Sasuke who was fine with killing Karin to get revenge on Danzo?

What hope for a better future does the man who wants to destroy Konoha evoke?

Sasuke was just getting rid of an antagonist, the same guy that used Sai, had implications with Itachi, as well as had negativity for Naruto. The hope comes from him being the impetus for Naruto's growth and development, the light of the ninja world. He and Naruto combined can change the world. When Naruto convinces even Sasuke, then Sasuke will be a force to be reckoned with.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
^Fishing for an avatar quote^

All according to Keikaku.

Steroyd

Well similar to One Piece, fans equate the story of LoZ:OoT to be on the same level of something genre defining, such as the story found in a JRR Tolkien masterpiece such as LOTR. And similarly, after playing and reading all, my reactions from them were to be expected, and I guess why I made the comparison above.

I don't know what fans you've been seeing, but the storyline to Zelda OoT is the absolute last thing anyone would even think to comprehend as "genre" defining when talking about the game, especially not when that was around when Final Fantasy VII/VIII was being released.

Kusagari

Sasuke was just getting rid of an antagonist, the same guy that used Sai, had implications with Itachi, as well as had negativity for Naruto. The hope comes from him being the impetus for Naruto's growth and development, the light of the ninja world. He and Naruto combined can change the world. When Naruto convinces even Sasuke, then Sasuke will be a force to be reckoned with.

Oh, so killing a chick who loves you to get rid of someone is fine.

What a role model, that Sasuke.

Tizoc

Magi (shounen adventure)
Jormugand (seinen about arm dealers has Black Lagoon vibes)
Kongou Banchou (shounen battle)
Prison School (seinen)
Btooom! (seinen kind like Battle Royale)

I would recommend others but I dont know what you would like.

Thanks will give them a read.
...and well as far as being specific goes...Anything that isn't horror or romance/slice of life, I'll read regardless of how short it is.
I've read Kongou Banchou though which was fucking kickass, but haven't caught up with it in almost a year lol.

Other mangas I've read include:
Teppu
All-Rounder Meguru
Historie
Minoru
Zetman
Berserk
Zombie Powder
Yeah I like martial arts manga a lot too, and any who haven't read them should def. give them a read.

Steroyd

You're insane, Sasuske was portrayed as falling into depths of the cycle of hate that swirled around his clan, and I doubt even further that if/when Naruto talk no jutsu's him the ninja world would ever just forgive him of his crimes that easily, he tried to frikken kill a few kages ffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom