• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Madoka Magica - Ochikano (SFW doujin)
WzZsSbp.jpg
Ochikano is a cooking manga. They say the way to a girl's heart is through her stomach, but it's a waste of all that gastronomic talent if you can't seal the deal afterwards. Well, Homura's tendency to choke at the final hurdle is a well-established Maitakeism by now. Still, her devilish devilness in the 2nd half was magnificent.

Seifuku no Vampiress Lord 5

Harem intensifies. You really need to read all the small print carefully when becoming a vampire. I suppose it's a better alternative to the traditional mindless thrall thing, but still.

Zweizer

Banned
Keijo ch148

That's quite an impressive power-up.

Code:
[img]https://s28.postimg.org/dpid0ieil/Keijo.png[/img]

At least it's polite and trying to not make an ass of itself.

Elf-san wa Yaserarenai. ch6

Running sucks. I'm supposed Elf is that eager about it, but then again she'd do anything for fries.

Code:
[img]https://s12.postimg.org/o7uqndin1/elf.jpg[/img]

Even pets aren't immune to today's foods. He was quick to tame her at least.

Seifuku no Vampiress Lord ch5

Code:
[img]https://s11.postimg.org/5iidhakmr/vampire.png[/img]

Vampires sure are popular, doubly so when they're cool gloomy girls. Immortality for your loved one is one hell of a gift depending on how you take it, but there's no denying that it has a certain romantic ring to it.

Rokudou no Onna-tachi ch23

Rokudou is n for quite the ride.

Minamoto-kun Monogatari ch208

Can that guy even be considered a friend, lol.

Promised Neverland

I guess the trees are alive. Kind of wished it was more of a down recap type of chapter thing.

BLack Clover
C_4TqvBUMAERfNb.jpg:small

Notice he said Our Dream and Us, Dorksta keeping the dream alive, and now with some random fun moments from Leo.

Im not seeing how Asta can make it through, well, actually on second thought if the mountain has an unstable field of mana, I guess I can kind of visualize how Dorksta has a way.

Lain

My Transfer Student Life by Lasterk

Female transfer student ends up sharing an apartment with a guy who she thought was a girl and ends up changing quite a bit while living there.

More enjoyable than I'd expect, as in the story itself was more fun than I imagined going in thanks to the plot twist, followed by the closing plot twist.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yuragi no Yuna-san

Hibari's battle armor
KuGsj.gif

I figured that gag was over.

Man I'm really liking RobotxLaserbeam more each week. The new side-characters that got introduced are really good and have a great chemistry with Robato. The new duo partner for Robo is probably my fav so far. Really great design.

Platinum End 16 - 19
C_4qgl7XsAAVQbq.jpg:large

Wow when will we get our anime, this arc could be a great stopping point for a 24 episode anime.

Katana moment was so good as well as the red arrow plan to allow them to escape.

Chp 19 was so suspense with the FSV.

Murcielago 37-38

I don't like the murderous side of Kuroko at all, but it's different from what I'm used too I guess. Killing school children without a shred of remorse is intense.

Ascheroth

Any other Line Webtoons great other than Tower of God?
I'm not up to date with any of them, but I would say those are worth checking out:

God of High School has some legit great action choreography (it's also basically just action, lol). Fun characters too.
The story gets pretty out there though. Basically great popcorn reading.

HIVE is a nice survival thriller. Insects get huge, chaos ensues. Legit creepy too at times. Features a badass gramps (not as MC though).

Kubera is a great fantasy/adventure with some legit worldbuilding last I checked.

Knight Run is an amazing sci-fi epic. It's extremely dense, text-heavy (I pity the translators) and the art isn't that great, but it is a damn fine read. Lots of techs and strategic fighting on ship level, as well as 'superhuman' vs. monster battles.

Lessa is a nice kinda post-apocalypric supernatural action/adventure story. World is ruled by Demans (kind of vampires/demons), MC is a Deman hunter searching for his sister who meets an enigmatic person who looks like a Deman but doesn't seem to be.

Magician is a really good medieval fantasy adventure.

Ascheroth

Currently catching up on Tower of God:

Man, the Floor of Death's concept is legit awesome.
ToGs world in general is some really fascinating stuff.

Also, Urek Mazino hype incoming.

Viz Shonen Jump 5/15/17

Robot x Laserbeam

If this series dies early it'll be because Robo is such a wet blanket he kills nearly every scene he's in with how boring he is. As the cast increases in size each new character cast a bigger light on how dull Robo is.

My Hero Academia

Entirely a set up chapter, next week things gonna get lit.

One Piece

So it looks like Big Mom is half giant, I assume this tragic back story is gonna be more like Lucci's establishing how Big Mom became so warped.

The Promised Neverland

I'm totally onboard for this shifting into more of a survival series, got a 7 seeds vibe when the kids realized they were separated/disappearing.

Black Clover

Meroleona is quickly becoming my favorite character in Black Clover, no nonsense but actually really smart behind her extreme rage. Wonder if Asta will gain some basic level of mana from this arc.

Food Wars

This explanation for why Nene lost would be acceptable had she and her backstory been introduced more then a few chapters ago. The idea of autopilot to success not being able to account for variations is a very good counter argument to central, the fact this arc somehow both dragged early on and rushed past important character development hurts this fight far more then the actual explanation/conclusion.

We Never Learn

As much as I don't like swimmer girl she's somehow the only character in this stupid harem romcom that actually acknowledges she likes the main character. Her chapter was also way better then literature girls snacking chapter.

Dr Stone

I'm 10 billion % sure the series won't actually kill off Senku here, but holy fuck if it does that would take some pretty massive balls. Gonna be hard to wait for next week to see how the series explains Senku surviving (if he survives)

Lain

Some pubs over here have started doing Variant covers drawn by Italian artists for some volumes.
Most recently Noragami volume 1 re-release got one, Attack on Titan volume 21 got one, Murcielago volume 1 got one. Before them, No Guns No Life volume 1 got one, Prison School volume 1 re-release got one. There should be others but I can't think of any more right now.

Why am I writing all this? Because I really like the one made for Murcielago:
lNuc.jpg

And while I am at it...

AoT is fine too:

Noragami is more of an aquired taste I think, but I like Mirka Andolfo's artstyle

No Guns No Life is a bit too simplistic for my taste:

Prison School I like too, even if the style differs greatly

Do publishers in other countries do something like this, propping up local artists (while at the same time selling x2 to idiots like me who want both the normal cover as well as the variant)?

Chase17

WSJ
Robo 8
Straw hat Robo! Both Robo's original outfit and him hitting the shot the same time as Rion got a laugh out of me. I'm interested in how there may be a lot more rivalry between teammates in this, since unlike other sports manga I've read teamwork isn't too important here. The top four have been introduced well. Seems like glasses guy will be most antagonistic.

MHA 137
Hype group shot at the end. Next couple of chapters should be good.

One Piece 865
I'm almost not okay with this psychological warfare against Big Mom lol. Really interested to see this flashback.

Promised Neverland 38
Was a little weird to see them outside of the compound. And then there were four...
Guess this will be a good chance to introduce some of the younger kids.

Black Clover 109
Leo saying he is not okay with Yuno's style of cool was kind of funny. Series has been on a nice string of chapters. Interested to see how Asta can circumnavigate the no mana issue to climb the volcano.

We Never Learn 11-12
First chapter was solid enough, didn't really care for the second.

Dr. Stone 10
My favorite chapter of the series so far. Was kind moving to see Senku's father crying while selling his car to help fund the science path for his son. Complicated feelings!

Man I'm really liking RobotxLaserbeam more each week. The new side-characters that got introduced are really good and have a great chemistry with Robato. The new duo partner for Robo is probably my fav so far. Really great design.
I agree with all of this. Even if Robo as a character has been weak at first I think Yozan and now Rion have at least offered to be interesting foils to him. Real life golfers can get pretty out their with their outfits. Wonder how far this series will go in the future with designs lol.

We haven't seen a ranking for this series yet right? I'm thinking the combination of golf and a hit or miss protagonist might be too big of a hurdle.

We should find out tomorrow night or wednesday morning how well rxl has been received in Japan. Gold Crusaders is on the hype train which is a kiss of death but perhaps since he wasn't day 1 the series can escape that fate?

Ascheroth

This entire Floor of Death arc kicks all kinds of ass. Has been a long time since I've been this hyped for Tower of God.
Also those chapters are getting ridiculously long. Not that I'm complaining~
And lol Urek. He's hilarious and a badass.

This entire Floor of Death arc kicks all kinds of ass. Has been a long time since I've been this hyped for Tower of God.
Also those chapters are getting ridiculously long. Not that I'm complaining~
And lol Urek. He's hilarious and a badass.

I think Hell Train? Was the name of the last arc of this I even started to read.How's it been since then?

Ascheroth

I think Hell Train? Was the name of the last arc of this I even started to read.How's it been since then?
Actually we're technically still on the Hell Train arc, lol. The Floor of Death is just another sub-arc. This arc has been loooooooong. But also very varied and with lots of really cool shit happening.

Zelda Majora's Mask

This has really nice art, but damn did they butcher the 4 temple stories. Absolutely all the emotional impact of the heroes deatg like Darmani is lost and the bosses show up way too easily.

The rushed pacing is too much.

As stated, we are still officially still on the Hell Train. You can sorta split it into three main sections: Hoaqin Arc, Name Hunt Arc and Floor of Death Arc. It has been quite great since the Name Hunt arc and the Floor of Death Arc has just been constant hype.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Hey, where did Oni go.

Why am I writing all this? Because I really like the one made for Murcielago:
lNuc.jpg

Do publishers in other countries do something like this, propping up local artists (while at the same time selling x2 to idiots like me who want both the normal cover as well as the variant)?

Yeah, that Mucielago cover is awesome. Like it more so than any of the regular covers, actually. Not feeling that Meiko one though lol.

I know the English special edition Attack on Titan volumes have covers done by comic artists. There was an AoT anthology released last year with some side stories created by a handful of American comic artists / writers too, but I don't think it was well received.

Chase17

We should find out tomorrow night or wednesday morning how well rxl has been received in Japan. Gold Crusaders is on the hype train which is a kiss of death but perhaps since he wasn't day 1 the series can escape that fate?

Oh pretty soon.

Hopefully this will be the series to get GoldCrusader's luck back on track lol.

Boogiepop

Well, I at least got a chuckle out of the subtle Umihara Kawase reference in that chapter of We Never Learn in this week's US Jump, so that's... at least a little something from the series. Still not really feeling it much at all, though. It's just... so bland. But I guess at least it's not Robo. (I am still grumpy at both of these making it over instead of Hungry Marie... though now my focus is now mostly on hoping that can actually claw its way to enough of a footing to survive at least a little while.)

Mousou Telepathy 310 - 314

What indeed. Is this dude having second thoughts after all he's said. I guess it will be easy for Nanako to say no.

We never learn 13

Well it looks like letting them go free worked out well in the end.

Super Danganronpa 2 - Chiaki Nanami's Goodbye Despair Quest 4
Awesome, so we get to see Chiaki being a deductive badass during the trials in this retelling. Not that she didn't have a prominent role in the original game, but this is clearly a step up. I feel that the investigation + trial (so far) have been handled notably better than in DR1's manga, though that may partially be due to character bias.

Hey, where did Oni go.
Huh, he's been afk for a month. Usually I'm good at spotting corpses.

You Will Hear the Voice of the Dead 13

Seeing Ryoko alive is weird enough, but add in her actually talking and it feels more bizarre than this chapter's supernatural shenanigans. There are good and bad stalkers, and that guy clearly fell into the latter category. Also I can't fault the president's coercion methods, especially since Mako is gf material.

We just get normal tank covers and some arranged official art when manga isn't sold in tank form

Zweizer

Banned
Prison School ch252

Guess it's not over for Risa yet.

Nukoduke! ch101

It's nice that he's made peace with himself about it at least.

AKB49 ch218

It's been a while since the last translated chapter. At least they perked up.

I must admit, Kimetsu No Yaiba has been somewhat of a sleeper hit for me. With its pleasantly surprising tale hitting all the right notes and going from strength to strength. Though, it hasn't ever made me want to extort its wonders to the masses as other titles have, and still do.

Also, All Out is still a thing. I love its art style so, so much, feels like it conveys the roughness of the sport to a T.

Top Bottom