• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

I'm not sure how I avoided hearing about Kimetsu no Yaiba so far. Is it good? What manga is it similar to?

Hard to really describe what it's similar to in terms of shounen (someone probably has a good comparison but I don't). Its been quite interesting so far, the manga is super fast paced and has a unique rough artstyle to it that grows on you.

While reading and he first got the face i was like... he is gonna realize all his guys are dead, right? Poor guy has failure written in his DNA

Seems more of a slimey guy that thinks he's the shit. Him being responsible
for the Muzaka/Rai fight 820 years ago now seems like too much praise for him lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fuuka 160

Nipple alert on the first page.

I guess someone noticed:

7iCnMLZ.png

Chapter summary: Fuuka desperately wants to have sex with her steady boyfriend Yuu, who she currently lives with. Unfortunately, Yuu is unaware he owns a penis. She makes plans for a romantic dinner that will hopefully put him in the mood to take her virginity. However, anyone who has read more than 1 chapter of this knows there was no way he was ever gonna do anything about it.

Also, band shit happened because someone finally told a Japanese band that random English words sounds dumb, especially if you don't know any English or have a clue how to speak non-broken English.

remz

Weekly Shonen Jump #30

My Hero Academia (Cover, Lead CP)
1. Kimetsu no Yaiba
2. Promised Neverland
Hunter×Hunter (CP, Resume)
Shudan!
3. Food Wars! Shokugeki no Souma
Cross Account (CP)
4. Dr. Stone
5. Haikyuu!!
Misteria -Kaiki Collection- (CP, One Shot)
6. Black Clover
7. Spring Weapon Number One
8. Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
9. Gintama
10. Hinomaru Zumou
11. We Never Learn
12. Saiki Kusuo no Sainan
13. Robot×Laserbeam
14. Hungry Marie
Isobe Isobee Monogatari

One Piece (Absent)

Shounen Jump Issue 31:
Lead CP: Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
CP: Food Wars! Shokugeki no Souma, Promised Neverland, Dr. Stone

Kinda weird seeing a shonen jump rankings without One Piece, Bleach or Naruto, but with HxH

You Will Hear the Voice of the Dead 14-15
Well yeah, that's one way to ensure that you get realistic, high-quality horror movie footage. If you take your school club to a cabin in the mountains you kinda deserve everything you get. Intentionally or not, the grisly absurdity to this story's climax was absolutely hilarious.

Chase17

Maybe Viz can preemptively add Shoodan! as a replacement lol. Also looks like Black Clover will go on break for at least 1 week following this issue since Tabata has asthma.

I've stopped listening to the shonen jump podcast since it's not particularly entertaining, informative, or interesting. I'll listen to the episode the week rxl ends to hear the sadness in marlene's voice for championing this awful series.
I know deep down you will miss everything coming up Robo. Remember when he had to get dragged around and forced to participate in the first several chapters and when we had to have a whole chapter on the mechanics of a golf swing to explain why he is so broken...good times.

Robo that bad?
I though it was a lock
The world wasn't ready.

I'm not sure how I avoided hearing about Kimetsu no Yaiba so far. Is it good? What manga is it similar to?
As 8x11 said, it's hard to compare it to anything. All just add that it has a very likable protagonist, strong supporting cast, and an interesting "main catch/hook". It has really taken a jump in quality the last 2-3 arcs too.

JulianImp

Helck - ch97
Man, this has been flip-flopping between hop and despair too much... Helck better get back before An gets worse and Cless has to die again.

...Also WTF, I just now made the connection that Helck + Cless, ヘルク+クレス, ヘルクレス = Hercules.

Slow Motion wo Mou Ichi Do - ch32
This jealousy arc is so much better than the kansai-ben guy's it isn't even funny. Poor, poor Yakushimaru, though...

The World God Only Knows - up to ch53
This stuff is pretty decent, actually. I wonder how long it'll take kami-nii-sama to realize he's actually having a blast with reality, but then again he's taken the role of the loathesome playboy that dates and dumps with alarming regularity, which is kind of sad since it looks like he doesn't actually give a damn about the girls he's romancing...

Okay, so this is going to sound odd, but. What is the manga about a guy who turns into a giant stuffed mascot and - if that wasn't enough - can let people inside him?

Skip Beat! Ch249: First half of this chapter really sucked. None of it made any real sense and felt like a really cheap jump-scare after last months cliff-hanger ending. That said, the second half of it was excellent. With the director forcing the Nepotistic-actress to acknowledge Kyoko. Then, we have all the stupid faces made right up until that bombshell of an ending.

Kimetsu No Yaiba Ch66: This continues to be one of my top three manga, out of Jump's current line-up.

To You, The Immortal Ch29: ****!

Black Lagoon Ch89: Wooo, more Black Lagoon. Although I'm not too fond of seeing Revy in jail, no matter how amusing it is.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch578

On the bright side, Carol doesn't seem to care much for most of her social life.

Nejimaki Kagyu ch53

Such a violent family.

Rokudou no Onna-tachi ch37

The guy is visibly scared shitless and yet Rokudou's group seems to view everything as peachy peaceful, lol.

Hungry Marie ch13

So, where's the baseball part?

Tomo-chan ch.578
Do not have any regrets for whatever it is you're about to do, Carol.

Full Metal Panic Sigma Vol. 1
Came across this by chance, I enjoyed watching all three FMP series and figured this might be worth seeing if it was just another adaptation or something original. It's basically the former, though the starting point is with Ending Day by Day (which The Second Raid anime was based on), and based on how many chapters there are I'm guessing it'll cover the rest of the light novels.

So far it's a good start. All the major things you'd expect out of Full Metal Panic; action, comedy, some giant robots. Three chapters for the first volume seems awfully on the short side, but I don't mind revisiting some of the story in a manga format. Something's gotta hold me over until Invisible Victory actually airs, whenever that'll end up being.

Kyuur

The closest I can compare it to is Kekkaishi

It's really fucking good

As 8x11 said, it's hard to compare it to anything. All just add that it has a very likable protagonist, strong supporting cast, and an interesting "main catch/hook". It has really taken a jump in quality the last 2-3 arcs too.

Hard to really describe what it's similar to in terms of shounen (someone probably has a good comparison but I don't). Its been quite interesting so far, the manga is super fast paced and has a unique rough artstyle to it that grows on you.

Thanks guys -- I tried giving it a read but the awful scanlations that are out there right now just won't do it for me. Hopefully Viz or someone picks it up at some point!

This question might be slightly put of place, but how does the Boku No Hero Academia anime compare to the manga?

Black Butler Ch129: Apparently this is a big thing?

Shut Hell Ch88: Still amazing. Though, I do wonder how they're doing to end it with so few chapters left.

Gleipnir Ch18-20 (re-read): Forgot just how cool that fight was.

Ascheroth

This question might be slightly put of place, but how does the Boku No Hero Academia anime compare to the manga?
First season suffers a little from pacing-issues sand sometimes wonky character art (the second has been corrected on the BDs), but is still a good watch and they nail the emotional moments. Music is awesome. I wouldn't recommend it over the manga however.

But the second season that is running right now has been on point. Character art and pacing are much better, animation is amazing , music is still awesome. Just look at this. The backgrounds are mostly still weak though.
Anyway, the anime is currently at chapter 44 with 13 or 14 episodes to go until the season is over and it's absolutely worth watching, but I'd still read the manga regardless.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the anime also expands on some things, like some additional character interactions, or character moments that only got a panel in the manga. And they're all great.

Kyuur

So far, its superior imo. They really nail the good moments and everything else is just as competent as the manga. I don't really agree with any pacing complaints; it feels identical to the manga minus the obvious speed advantage of written vs spoken dialogue.

Boogiepop

HM only lifeline left is somehow having great (for a debut volume) vol.1 sales when it comes out in early July...but I don't believe I've ever seen a constant low ranking series ever have a good first vol.1 sales.

I'll do my part and import one at least! (Note that this less a symbolic gesture as a practical one, though, as I don't pirate and can read Japanese, and have been wanting to read more past the Jump start...) I'm going to be damn disappointed to see it inevitably die, but I at least take solace that Robo is almost certainly going down as well (and maybe WNL too, if I'm lucky...)

On the brighter side though, I just learned that Kazuhiro Fujita has a running series once more, so that's something to look forward to picking up and digging into!

Lain

My Capricorn Friend

A story about bullying, suicides, revenge and consequences with a sprinkle of supernatural, I found My Capricorn Friend mostly as an enjoyable read with obvious flaws.

The story opens up with pieces of articles about middle school guys and girls who took their life because of bullying.
One would be led to believe that the protagonist is either a bullied kid or the bully, instead he's one of the others, the mass of people who go on with their life willingly ignoring the bullying that goes around them, thinking I'm glad it's not me getting my face pushed in the toilet or I'd better not intervene or I might become a target.
Yuya is a normal, average kid whose most satisfying moment in his daily life is when he wakes up and opens the window of his balcony, because every morning he finds something weird outside his window: a shirt with 4 sleeves, a little dog and even a piece of journal seemingly from the future with an article about a bullied kid who killed his bully and then took his life.

At school Yuya simply walks past the bullying Naoto receives daily, ignoring it just as his classmates do. He has no interest in stepping in and helping because he doesn't want to be the next target.
One evening, as he's going, Yuya meets Naoto. He's wielding a baseball bat and doesn't look completely right. Yuya's first instinct is to keep walking but then he decides to stop and talk with Naoto despite never having talked with him at school. This is the moment that puts in motion all the events of the manga, as Yuya finds out that Naoto supposedly killed his bully so, while thinking back about the article from the future and other things, he decides to help him, first by hiding Naoto in his room, then running away with him to Tokyo and lastly by
uncovering the real culprit of the assassination

The most obvious flaw in the story is in how Yuya does a 180° basically out of the blue, going from ignoring the dude getting his face smashed into a toilet to deciding to hide him after learning he killed someone. Another flaw in the story is in how Yuya turns into a
smart detective who's able to uncover who really killed the bully and how the plan was from the start to pin the kill on Naoto
and yet he's also so stupid that he manages to
get one of the culprits to commit suicide
while trying to prevent exactly that
because for some reason he was sure Naoto was the one who would have killed himself
Basically, the glaring flaw in this story is in the characterization. It feels like the MC does what he's supposed to do for the story to reach its conclusion instead of doing it because it fits with his personality, yet despite this heinous flaw, I managed to enjoy the story.
I guess I enjoyed it mostly because it felt like it tried to communicate that ignoring the bad things happening around us, things we could put a stop to ourselves, can have pretty dire consequences: for ourselves, for those we know and love an even for those we don't know. A simple, obvious thing that many willfully ignore for their own convenience.

Chase17

HxH 340-360
So good. Everything that has been set up for this arc is really compelling. That Hisoka fight was amazing too. Will have to reread it at some point.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch579

The ears are a nice touch.

One-Punch Man ch77

Poor Garou is getting clowned on pretty hard, lol.

Joshikausei ch62

Like an old married couple~

Shoujo Kishidan × Knight Tale ch3

It seems like being a knight involves lots of skinship. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Rokudou no Onna-tachi ch38

When Ranna commands, you one.

spiritfox

First season suffers a little from pacing-issues sand sometimes wonky character art (the second has been corrected on the BDs), but is still a good watch and they nail the emotional moments. Music is awesome. I wouldn't recommend it over the manga however.

But the second season that is running right now has been on point. Character art and pacing are much better, animation is amazing , music is still awesome. Just look at this. The backgrounds are mostly still weak though.
Anyway, the anime is currently at chapter 44 with 13 or 14 episodes to go until the season is over and it's absolutely worth watching, but I'd still read the manga regardless.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the anime also expands on some things, like some additional character interactions, or character moments that only got a panel in the manga. And they're all great.

There's this too.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Tomo chan latest
Yo, that is one cute drone

Why are you here sensei 1-10.5 (NSFW)
Highschool student satou keep seeing his sensei in lewd situation. It end with those two become a couple and the guy accidently blowing his load in sensei mouth. So yes, it's a smut. It's a dumb smut, but BOI...

dramatis

May 2017 Recommendation: Otaku no Musume-san

Slice of life comedy | 11 volumes, Completed work, Not licensed
Kanau Yukimura is nine years old and she's meeting her father for the first time. However, he turns out to be an otaku! The two of them start living together in the same apartment, next to a lot of interesting neighbors. Unsurprisingly, things don't always go smoothly for these two... (source)
killer rin: It was adorable, It was funny at times, it was serious at times, it was heart-wrenching several times and I enjoyed it.

barber

One Punch Man

Haha I feel as if Saitama inadvertantly beating on Garou is going to be a running gag up until their actual fight haha

Man King's speech was pretty good, plus he seems to atually care about Saitama!

So, now that betting on Hunter x Hunter is closed, what were the guesses?

Top Bottom