• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

JulianImp

It's My Life - Day 45
That was one weird tournament arc, and the ending was pretty bittersweet with Astra giving Noah an IOU ticket valid ten years from then expecting she'll have fogotten all about it when the time comes (even though it might become a heartwarming Chekov Gun if the story does keep going until then). The juxtaposition of the two's happy and fun life and everybody else's stories about coping with the passage of time and how things never last forever is pretty ominous and bittersweet, which I find pretty interesting.

Black Lily and White Lily 3
4rANNUj.jpg
Oh, so it's that kind of repentance room. Well, repentance is important. Very important. Yes. If Lily and the president are actually on reasonable terms, this series just lost what I assumed was going to be its antagonist. Someone (or something) else should probably assume that role, since the characters aren't really engaging enough to keep the story interesting if there isn't a source of tension.

Tomo-chan ch.599-601
She's hiding something...

Engaged to the Unidentified Vol.7 Ch.12
Benio's siscon is so strong that Hakuya is only processed as a blurry mess through her eyes. How concerning.

Love is Hard for Otaku ch.19.5
And this is why you shouldn't go on a haunted house ride if you don't have someone you want to hold on to.

Of course you could just never go on those things in the first place, like I do, and that'd be equally valid.

wamberz1

Helk 99
Azudora you beautiful son of a bitch!

Save of from our suffering!

Talentless Nana 4
So he's being set up as a long term rival, as we thought, which is good. However, I can't help but feel a little let down with his power... It's pretty plain. Though as we've seen before the distinct weaknesses can give interesting spins to them so hopefully that can come more into play later.

Unfortunately my L comparison from last chapter is starting to feel a little too apt... this guy so far is basically a slightly angrier L. I can totally see this ending with the I-suspected-you-all-along-but-subconsciously-didn't-want-to-believe-it-because-you-were-my-first-friend thing. That being said, again, we're super early in the story so he'll probably get more fleshed out and diverge as the plot moves along.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
A Trail of Blood ch. 11

I mean, of course he wasn't going to snitch on his mom, no matter how much the tension was played up.

Jitsu wa Watashi wa ch. 182

Oh my god at the last page. Even Shirayuki is stunned over this tomfoolery.

Zweizer

Banned
Black Lily and White Lily ch3

Repentance play might be a bit too early for Yuri. Lily herself had quite a hard life, so it's good that Yuri is pretty supportive and caring of her roommate (and lover).

Flying Witch ch35

So much for Chinatsu's time to shine. Good thing Makoto has a pretty reliable senpai to rely on.

Attack on Titan ch96

Wouldn't have guessed that they were practically on the edge of being devoured by the titans themselves at the start of the series, lol.

KanColle - Kongou of the Carribbean 1-2 (SFW doujin)
Well, this is gloriously stupid. It's KanColle meets PotC with time travel, mecha and apparently now dinosaurs. I was about to skim over it until I saw that Iso Hime was the abyssal lead, and now I'm glad I didn't. The writing, flow, subject matter and (at times) the art almost make it feel like one of those silly tumblr/DA comics, but it's crazy enough that my brain doesn't care. Despite the 'THE END' above, there's actually still more to come so I'll be holding my oxygen tanks for that.

Manga Sales July 31st - Aug 6th (Jump Manga Went on Sale the 4th)

1 One Piece 86 1,452,075 / 1,452,075
2 Haikyu!! 27 274,229 / 274,229
3 One-Punch Man 14 243,586 / 243,586
4 Otaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii 4 115,733 / 399,256
5 Kimi ni Todoke 29 108,963 / 385,518
6 Manga de Wakaru! Fate/Grand Order 1 96,501 / 96,501
7 Bungo Stray Dogs 13 80,470 / 80,470
8 Tokyo Ghoul:re 12 71,453 / 638,895
9 Black Clover 12 69,741 / 69,741
10 Prison School 26 60,610 / 60,610

11 Kingdom 47 58,223 / 689,883
12 Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba 7 57,083 / 57,083
13 The New Prince of Tennis 21 53,246 / 53,246
14 Kūbo Ibuki 7 51,828 / 117,931
15 Detective Conan (Case Closed) 93 45,927 / 499,970
16 Tsubaki-chō Lonely Planet 8 41,699 / 170,565
17 The Seven Deadly Sins 27 32,730 / 440,594
18 We Never Learn 2 30,080 / 30,080
19 Tsubasa to Hotaru 10 28,992 / 102,670
20 Boys Over Flowers Season 2 7 28,822 / 28,822

21 JoJolion 15 28,633 / 271,150
22 Mr. Nietzsche in the Convenience Store 7 28,073 / 60,689
23 Aoashi 10 27,278 / 58,945
24 Ushijima the Loan Shark 40 25,363 / 54,085
25 Giant Killing 44 25,326 / 191,064
26 Sabaku no Harem 6 22,898 / 22,898
27 Ace of Diamond Act II 8 21,232 / 261,971
28 Haikyu!! 27 Edition With Anime DVD 20,264 / 20,264
29 Awa-Koi 2 19,760 / 58,259
30 Granblue Fantasy 1 19,614 / 54,936

31 Tokyo Ghoul:re 11 18,871 / 758,545
32 OreYome. ~Ore no Yome ni Nare yo~ 11 18,556 / 54,517
33 Jealousy 1 18,433 / 18,433
34 Made in Abyss 6 18,396 / 34,533
35 Satsuriku no Tenshi 5 18,339 / 44,405
36 D.Gray-man Official Fan Book Haiiro no Log 17,716 / 17,716
37 One Piece 85 16,879 / 2,573,729
38 Sachiiro no One Room 2 16,743 / 71,358
39 Hunter × Hunter 34 16,615 / 1,184,765
40 Fire Punch 6 16,171 / 16,171

41 Jū ~Ninpō Makai Tenshō~ 11 16,142 / 16,142
42 Aoharu X Machinegun 12 15,566 / 37,066
43 Ao no Flag 2 15,062 / 15,062
44 Samon the Summoner 10 15,051 / 15,051
45 Jigoku Sensei Nube Neo 11 14,849 / 14,849
46 The Royal Tutor 9 14,307 / 41,300
47 Fuku o Kiru Nara Konna Fū ni 5 14,171 / 14,171
48 Sekai de Ichiban Warui Majo 4 14,094 / 14,094
49 Anoko no Toriko 5 14,002 / 40,857
50 Chocolate Vampire 3 13,788 / 42,759

Some weirdly weak sales, I'm assuming holidays?

Maou-jou de Oyasumi 37
Yeah, observing the princess for <5 minutes is a foolproof way to kill off any sympathy you might have towards her. Seeing the hero make progress towards her rescue feels oddly surreal, as does seeing the upper echelons of the demon army engaging in a serious strategy meeting. With or without vuvuzelas.

Manga Sales July 31st - Aug 6th (Jump Manga Went on Sale the 4th)

Some weirdly weak sales, I'm assuming holidays?

My money is that Jump series being released on Friday had a trickle down effect. The sales only go to Sunday after all.

I don't know how good this is for what the series is. I just want it to do well.

Seems like a pretty noticeable drop off from Vol. 1's 19,000 or so.

Helck 99

Hell yeah, Azudora go slap some sense in Helck.

Sheriff Evans Lies 17

lmao Evans is such a sore loser

Shoukoku no Altair 99

Wow that sudden reversal. When you thought Turkey had the battle in the bag.

Tomo chan 599-601

That ain't an angel son.

My money is that Jump series being released on Friday had a trickle down effect. The sales only go to Sunday after all.

Seems like a pretty noticeable drop off from Vol. 1's 19,000 or so.

Hmm I guess I just had a brain fart, I thought last time this group had only a 3 day selling period they did better but it seems that's generally not the case.

Comparing Nov 28 - Dec 4 (3 Days of Sales) to Jul 31 - Aug 6 (3 Days of Sales)

282,363&#12288;*,282,363&#12288;Haikyuu!! Vol.24 --->274,229&#12288;*,274,229&#12288;Haikyuu!! Vol.27
59,814&#12288;*,*59,814&#12288;Black Clover Vol.9 --->*9.&#12288;*,*69,741&#12288;*,*69,741&#12288;Black Clover Vol.12
21,815&#12288;*,*21,815&#12288;Kimetsu no Yaiba Vol.4 --->57,083&#12288;*,*57,083&#12288;Kimetsu no Yaiba Vol.7

I guess if nothing else it shows the steady growth of Kimetsu.

Lain

After 5 volumes of Real Account I'm still not feeling it.
Also the switch to the supposedly dead brother is annoying and the truth behind the Marbles is meh.

51 Ways to save my girlfriend
Jb5UvTC.png

This can be divided in two halves. The first half is a decent disaster romp after a big Earthquake hits Tokyo. The protagonists help people, see horrible stuff, they escape from problems, live dangerous situations, etc. It feels more or less realistic. The pace is good, it never dwells too long in a place or plot point.
The second half is when things turn ugly. First, the rape angle starts. The first encounter of that nature was ok, I understand the author wanted to show how dangerous people can exploit the chaos of the situation and the lack of law enforcers. But then there is a second attempt. And the climax of the comic is a third attempt, with a very big group of rapists. WTF, it's both creepy and not very realistic that the general populace fall so much in that behavior. It was an earthquake and only a few days have passed, it wasn't freaking WW3 with the nuclear apocalypse coming.
Second, there is a very stupid 'religious sect' plotline that stretches belief. The protagonist is brainwashed in just 48 hours, and the reasons of how it happens feel contrived. Again, it was just a big earthquake, not the Rapture, in a few days I can't believe the sect gained power. It was facepalming and made me want to drop it but I continued because I was near the end.
And third, the ending was very predictable
(I so guessed right that the newborn baby would solve the incident
). Characters were also predictable, nothing particularly interesting happened with them.

Overall I can't recommend it.

DNAbro

Blue Flag Ch 9

STf8Cmz.png

please do. I'm expecting a bit more drama to be coming after this mostly happy section.

My Hero Academia Vigilantes 6+

(idk how the numbering works for this series)
It's cool to see how Tsukauchi ended up becoming friends with All Might. Also hilarious that he was just basically his legal help lol. I want to see more of him cause it seems like he is Quirkless and I find that interesting.

Yakusoku no Neverland chp 1 - 7

Wow, this is really good, very similar to AoT but the MC's seem to be more aware of their surroundings. I'm not that far into it but I can already see how this could get adapted into an anime series.

Zweizer

Banned
Maou-jou de Oyasumi ch37

Poor Alraune just wants to be nice.

Aho Girl ch79

That's some next-level bullying. Sayaka is just too nice for her own good.

Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch602

Not saying anything is probably the wisest move.

Witch Hat Atelier ch6

Kids can be real jerks towards each other.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean, A-kun initially comes off like he's just a regular guy who is easily annoyed by Yoshiko, but Sayaka does fairly point out at one point that his actual problem is that he's kind of just an asshole in general, so even assuming he wanted to get away from Yoshiko, it wouldn't really matter since nobody likes a jerk. Whether it's Yoshiko's fault or not is a different question.

Zweizer

Banned
I mean, A-kun initially comes off like he's just a regular guy who is easily annoyed by Yoshiko, but Sayaka does fairly point out at one point that his actual problem is that he's kind of just an asshole in general, so even assuming he wanted to get away from Yoshiko, it wouldn't really matter since nobody likes a jerk. Whether it's Yoshiko's fault or not is a different question.

In other words, she's just too nice for putting up with up with such a tag team of hard-to-deal people.

Any recommendations for cyberpunk or android/human relations stories?

Getenrou
Blame!
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Tonari no Robot
Shoujo Apocalypse Adventure
Gunnm
Pluto
Miss Mayple's Afternoon Tea Time

But especially Getenrou.

got the first 3 volumes of the Spice and Wolf novels through Kindle :D

should be fun basically doing a refresher on this series and i'm too lazy to watch both seasons of the anime (even though i should) lol

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
got the first 3 volumes of the Spice and Wolf novels through Kindle :D

should be fun basically doing a refresher on this series and i'm too lazy to watch both seasons of the anime (even though is should lol)

The series is actually totally up to date, so you can go through all of it. There's also another one coming in November.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
In other words, she's just too nice for putting up with up with such a tag team of hard-to-deal people.

I mean, Yoshiko's stupidity and the attendant stupidity of the Public Morals Chairwoman overshadows everything else so its not quite as obvious that A-kun is kind of an asshole. It's easy to assume that he's a well-rounded Manga MC, but in reality the way he acts with Yoshiko isn't all that different from anyone else. I mean other than constantly hitting Yoshiko.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I know @ both sentences but i'm not made of money right now so it will be an ongoing thing D:

No I know, I spent the last few months slowly catching up. It's just pretty exciting knowing there's two more books on the horizon and they're actually getting translated properly.

No I know, I spent the last few months slowly catching up. It's just pretty exciting knowing there's two more books on the horizon and they're actually getting translated properly.

I'm glad they finally decided to offer the series digitally, so they can now get my money.

My knowledge of more books being on the horizon is actually pretty recent but i'm interested to see what the author can do to spice up that story.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm glad they finally decided to offer the series digitally, so they can now get my money.

My knowledge of more books being on the horizon is actually pretty recent but i'm interested to see what the author can do to spice up that story.

The first one was just a few short stories set after the events of the main series. Mostly cute stuff that's fun to read, but there's also a pair of plot ones that set up the next two books. If you like Lawrence and Holo's interactions you'll like it. I won't say more because it'd spoil it for you.

Zweizer

Banned
Hey, Zweizer! Got anything similar to the last batch you recommended me? Friend was especially good.

Of course, glad to her you enjoyed them!

(NSFW) How Well-Stacked and Surfboard Swapped Bodies by mira

Hot childhood friends body swap yuri action.

(NSFW) Souma Taxi by Mizuryu Kei

Mizuryu Kei does what Mizuryu Kei does best, that is, very sexually liberated women in very provocative outfits.

(NSFW) Futanari-do ~Hanaki ni tsukau wa Tagai no seiki~ by Jenigata

Hot childhoof friends futanari x futanari action.

(NSFW) Kemonist Family by John K. Pe-ta

The inimitable John K. Pe-Ta gives us this wonderful tale of family bonding with their family pet that has become a hot guy. Of course, John K. Pe-Ta being John K. Pe-Ta, expect the usual anatomical emphasises such as bulging uteruses and the likes.

(NSFW) Futanari Volley by Inochi Wazuka

Hot buff futanari x diminutive admirer action.

(NSFW) Ai's Peeping Love by Uo Denim

When your landlady herself is the stalker, it's not too wise to have her check for peeping toms.

(NSFW) The Momoyuri Academy Secret Soapland Club R by Homura Subaru

Hot yuri soapland action.

(NSFW) Red Hood Blonde by Doumou

Virgin shoujo manga nerd x hot foreigner action.

(NSFW) Because the sun drenched sheets have a comfy smell by Kasa

Cute childhood friends action.

(NSFW) Hopeful Rookie by Marui Maru

Sex is a good way for slimming down.

Sorry it's not too elaborate this time. Am a bit busy today.

Top Bottom