• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Peco

Kaze no Chinkorou (The Wandering Dick) 1-5 (nsfw)
Can't post pics but this is seriously something else. A true masterpiece.

Taruranto

Bokura no Hentai end

Vx6JRTL.png

This was mostly a good read, it felt a bit aimless at times and the ending feel a bit sudden (Was it canned?) with some relationships hardly resolved.
I was pretty disappointed that Parou ended up alone and the ending pretty much dropped Ryosuke/Tamura despite the hints in the latest chapters and Tamura was the character that needed a good relationship the most.

Chase17

Rurouni Kenshin Kyoto Arc
I've seen a lot of people mention this as the defining arc of the series, and I'm left mostly pleased with it. While I liked the light heartedness from the Tokyo, I'd say that this arc is several steps up in quality. Can be broken up into two sections, the journey to Kyoto and then Kyoto.

On the way to Kyoto we are able to be introduced to Misao (who looks just like Kaoru to me, and they have a pretty similar personality just flip loving Kenshin with Aoshi), set up the whole Aoshi conflict, Sanoskue gets a training arc, and get an initial encounter with Shishio. So pretty much everything you'd want in the set up of the arc.

I'm a sucker for an infiltration/battle gauntlet structure, and this arc does that very well. I was surprised/impressed that they actually split it up so that Yahiko and Misao/Kaoru were able to get fights against the 10 swords. The series of fights for Sanosuke, Saito (who is amazing this arc) and Kenshin are done very well. The only thing I'm a bit shaky on is Aoshi. I never really felt that compelled by him as a character (the most interesting thing he ever does is decapitate the heads of his comrades and bury them) but the end of his fight with Kenshin is still hype and it's cool when he shows up at the end so I guess it works.

Moving on to Shishsio, I found him to be a pretty solid antagonist. He hits the right notes; good design, interesting counterpart to the main protagonist (being his successor), and an acceptable motivation. And although his final fight with Kenshin is excellent, Shishio never did anything to push him into great villain territory for me. Although it was pretty shocking to me when he
stabs through Yumi to attack Kenshin
. Small issue is that this is the battle for Japan, but during this arc you never really get an idea about the poluation at large. Only instance we really see Shishio's influence being negative is the town on the way to Kyoto. I guess maybe the Kyoto Fires section was supposed to give me a sense of it, but it didn't convey that to me.

There are some weird things going on at the end of this arc. Saito's "death", the guy who earlier in the arc kidnaps a baby and threaten to kills it becomes a police investigator, and the scene of Shishio deciding to kill the king of hell all felt out of place. About halfway through this arc it fixes one of my biggest problems with the series by giving Kenshin a technique that makes him on the level of Himura Battosai, eliminating the issue of him always having to have to go through that conflict just to show that the fight is serious. His mentor is also hilarious.

Ok, ranted on this too long. Thought the Kyoto arc was very good. Already a little bit into the Jinchu arc and that seems set up to be even better so I'm looking forward to continuing through that.

upandaway

Pocket Monsters - Festival of Champions 3

...ahem.

I need to buy this. Can you even buy this? What... what do I do with this feeling.

Deadly

Rurouni Kenshin Kyoto Arc
Moving on to Shishsio, I found him to be a pretty solid antagonist. He hits the right notes; good design, interesting counterpart to the main protagonist (being his successor), and an acceptable motivation. And although his final fight with Kenshin is excellent, Shishio never did anything to push him into great villain territory for me. Although it was pretty shocking to me when he
stabs through Yumi to attack Kenshin
. Small issue is that this is the battle for Japan, but during this arc you never really get an idea about the poluation at large. Only instance we really see Shishio's influence being negative is the town on the way to Kyoto. I guess maybe the Kyoto Fires section was supposed to give me a sense of it, but it didn't convey that to me.

There are some weird things going on at the end of this arc. Saito's "death", the guy who earlier in the arc kidnaps a baby and threaten to kills it becomes a police investigator, and the scene of Shishio deciding to kill the king of hell all felt out of place. About halfway through this arc it fixes one of my biggest problems with the series by giving Kenshin a technique that makes him on the level of Himura Battosai, eliminating the issue of him always having to have to go through that conflict just to show that the fight is serious. His mentor is also hilarious.

Ok, ranted on this too long. Thought the Kyoto arc was very good. Already a little bit into the Jinchu arc and that seems set up to be even better so I'm looking forward to continuing through that.
The entire point of sending Kenshin to kill Shishio is for the population not to know. When Shishio took over a village they literally just erased it from the map. Everything is meant to be kept secret.

Saito and Cho tie into the next arc. Although Cho was probably going to get a bigger role as there was an arc planned to have the ex-Ten Swords return. Apparently this arc is going to be the upcoming story for when Kenshin comes back.

Shishio is just shown after death to show how insane he is, perfect ending for him really.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The entire point of sending Kenshin to kill Shishio is for the population not to know. When Shishio took over a village they literally just erased it from the map. Everything is meant to be kept secret.

Yup. If the government really wanted to they could mobilize the army and take him out in less than a day, but as is pointed out very early on in the arc that would make them look weak to the other nations in the world and potentially open them up to be taken advantage of or invaded. That's not even considering how weak they would look to their own citizens if they needed to use the army to take out one man.

The whole thing needed to be kept secret because they just finished a civil war and needed to look strong to both the rest of the world and the citizens of Japan.

Chase17

Yup. If the government really wanted to they could mobilize the army and take him out in less than a day, but as is pointed out very early on in the arc that would make them look weak to the other nations in the world and potentially open them up to be taken advantage of or invaded. That's not even considering how weak they would look to their own citizens if they needed to use the army to take out one man.

The whole thing needed to be kept secret because they just finished a civil war and needed to look strong to both the rest of the world and the citizens of Japan.

Saito and Cho tie into the next arc. Although Cho was probably going to get a bigger role as there was an arc planned to have the ex-Ten Swords return. Apparently this arc is going to be the upcoming story for when Kenshin comes back.

Shishio is just shown after death to show how insane he is, perfect ending for him really.
Alright. That makes sense then. I understand that secrecy was important (which is why Hoji is shut down by the government, before he kills himself). I was going through the chapters in pretty big bunches so I misunderstood Shinshio himself as the threat to japan opposed to what he stands for/the weakness he would represent to the Meiji era.

I agree that the Shishio in hell ending is fitting, it's just kind of came out of nowhere for me. Especially from the perspective of Hoji meeting up with him haha.

new game 55 - 56

These new employees seem difficult to get along with. Narumi doesn't seem to respect Nene that much.

car graffiti 19

summer homework is the worst. Though hopefully she'll actually finish it before the school festival.

Seven Deadly Sins Ch230: sigh

Tokyo Ghoul:re Ch137: So, everybody dies?

Vigilante - My Hero Academia Illegals Ch11: Still wish the fight with Stain had been a bit longer, but overall it was a satisfying look at the Hero Killers origin and motivations.
Especially since he went from killing villains to 'fake' heroes.

Chase17

Promised Neverland 51
This series has great color pages. Anyways chapter is all about finding the perfect loophole lol. Guess those demons were too good to be true.

My Hero Academia 149
I wasn't too big on Twice and Toga before this arc, but this last couple of chapters has made me like them a lot. Twice correcting Chisaki on the gender pronoun was good to see. Some funny panels of Toga/Twice looking at each other. Time to see how this whole Mirio situation plays out.

One Piece 875
Bege and Chiffon are the best.

We Never Learn 27
I don't know why there is always a page of the chapter used to try and make sense of the CP in this series.

Boruto 15
I liked the team coming in for the save. Sasuke is back to move the story along. Seems that they are setting up for Orochimaru to get back into the picture as well. I thought for sure that this new group that where black cloaks were going to be called the reformed Akatsuki or some nonsense, and now I am disappointed that they aren't. Seems too early in the series for a shadow organization villain group but maybe this isn't for an immediate arc.

HxH 368
I am a little confused about all the different guards from each prince/princess being shuffled around. Still very interested by the whole information war going on. Guess the last panel was
the pure evil prince killing her?
Not sure.
Also, Kurapika is a mad man.

RxL 21
Ah yes, the solution was to use 120% of his strength. At least it will have some consequences in a bit I guess.

Black Clover 121
Nice to see Noelle go over Solid. Vangeance is one of the more interesting captains so it was good to see the impact he has on the golden dawn. I don't think that Yuno/Noelle are actually set to face any other important character until the semi final. All of the interesting matches next round are on Asta's side of the bracket.

Dr. Stone 23

The new character seems interesting. I thought Taiju and Yuzuriha were only supposed to be spying on Tsukasa but it seems like Gen knows them? Or maybe it is just that he knows of them. I like the structure of this create medicine arc a lot. Iron achieved!

Vigilantes 03
I think I'll just give this a couple more chapters. I like MHA a lot but this isn't doing anything for me so far.

Black Clover 121
Nice to see Noelle go over Solid. Vangeance is one of the more interesting captains so it was good to see the impact he has on the golden dawn. I don't think that Yuno/Noelle are actually set to face any other important character until the semi final. All of the interesting matches next round are on Asta's side of the bracket.

Of course not, they gotta save yuno/noelle for the battle with asta/mimosa

Chase17

Of course not, they gotta save yuno/noelle for the battle with asta/mimosa

Yeah I guess that is bound to happen. I was thinking maybe Aqua Deer captain guy would beat Yuno/Noelle but they could easily put in some shenanigans to let Yuno win with this format of a fight.

Zweizer

Banned
Hinamatsuri ch69

Man, kids these days get scarier and scarier. Perhaps Hina has the right idea, ignoring eveything.

New Game! ch55-56

The newcomers are having some trouble fitting in, huh. Poor Nenecchi and Hifumi getting bullied.

lovezlsal.png

Booleans are magical.

Maou no Hisho ch7

Proof that the idol industry will be the end of mankind.

If anything, the Secretary was being too gentle. Goddamn.

Shoujo Kishidan × Knight Tale ch4

There certainly is a certain romance to a wagon, though they're missing the horses.

Quite a dark path they're going down there.

Tachibanakan to Lie Angle ch15-17

And the winner between Konomi and Iori of the Hanabi-bowl is surprisingly Yuu. Guess being a veteran is not for show.
On another note, it's fortunate that Iori's mother seems to be supportive of her daughter's marriage ambitions.

AKB49 ch225

She came so close to finding out, yet so far. Her poor wallet.

Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch612

I wonder if it's a sign for an even angrier Carol to appear.

Madoka - Magia Record Reports p43-45

puCMcpV.png

Your dastardly plan has failed, the game finally got released today! And now I have to completely ignore its existence, for the sake of my financial security. I know these're just gag comics, but it'd be hilarious if Iroha became another of Homura's... admirers. Don't let this chance go to waste, Maitake.

Tachibanakan to Lie Angle 15-17

Alcoholic chocolates, the most powerful intoxicant known to mangakind. I take back what I said last time - Iori and Hanabi are getting married next month, so that's real progress in an unusually short timescale. I still consider her route to be the good ending, partially (but not really) because Konomi has someone else to fall back upon.

Satan's Secretary 7
This. This is a whole new level of nefarious brainwashing. For the sake of both humans and demons alike, the Secretary's self-control should never be tampered with again (including, but not limited to, her sex drive). Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori.

DNAbro

My Hero Academia Vigilantes 11

I love how Knuckleduster is pretty much at fault for creating Stain lmao. Interesting origin story. Wonder where the story is going next cause I'm pretty sure this is resolved.

Promised Neverland

I guess its going back to my hypothesis that the human world is just physically separated on the other side, and it looks like by a wall.

Im guessing the location is either A) Underground or B) a flying fortress.

Boruto
DHxwx4dWsAAPam7.jpg:small

That Sasuke card, I miss when I could buy the naruto tcg in stores, I loved getting my favs. I wish the anime hurry and gets to this.

Golden Kamuy 109

Sweet, the newest psycho fucks even
a tree
lmao.

Stan's Secretary 7

Brainwashing by idols. Thats some high-level scheming.

Food Wars
DHx0fU-WAAAktkG.jpg:small

Best moment of the chapter, in fact, the chapter simply ended here and the resistance won and all is back to normal. SoTaku are on the Elite 10, Kuga is back too, and even Kurokiba Ryou got a spot.

why did people in the thread have to be so so correct, its not right. I thought the manga would do big things at this point.Kuga needs revenge over Tsukasa before he graduates at least. Praying SoTaku save the day.

BLack Clover
DHx233KXUAASF3y.jpg:small

It felt like here that he probably meant to say his and Dorksta's? They both shared the same dream or at least spoke to each other so much to know what each wants, though unless his ultimate one is just to help Dorksta out, I dont know it just seemed like something Yuno would have said that would have included him in it.

Good wind spell.

YGO ARC-V 25

The guy looks like he will lose, sorry.

Anyway, Adam being actually the guy named adam is interesting especially if he is truly still out there.

Im glad Im getting the volumes to reread so I can make sure to grasp every part of the story.

Taruranto

Banana Fish Volume 11

Honestly, this manga is going in places. It started as low-profile crime story, and now the government, the CIA and a bunch of other organizations are getting involved.

Chase17

Kimetsu no Yaiba 74
Zenitsu has goofed! Curious to see how this plays out, especially knowing that Denki has killed 7 pillars. I don't see Uzui going down this arc, so maybe someone else will show up to help.

Boogiepop

Oh damn! Catching back up on the thread, and happened to spy in that list of volume sales... holy crap, Pokemon Special Volume 53 finally released! That was, like, nearly a 3 year gap between volumes!

Anyone who's actually been keeping up with the series know where things currently stand with the B2W2 and onward arcs? Like, are those generally finished/mostly finished, or are we heading right back into the same rut where they can't put out the next volume because the arc it covers isn't finished, because they need to keep skipping ahead to keep up with the games?

we never learn 25

Well, since Yuiga couldn't figure it out on his own, he at least knows now. Wonder how long it will take before he realizes the other girls have some feelings for him as well.

So I'm pretty close to catching up with the few series I'm buying at the moment and kind of wanted to get into another shonen/battle series again soon. How is 666 Satan/O-Parts Hunter? I remember reading the first volume a long time ago and it felt like some combination of the beginning of Dragonball and Naruto. I just kind of remembered this series at random and decided I might check it out since all of the volumes are still in stock on Rightstuf and it's not a stupidly long series like a lot of notable shonen battle series tend to be.

Blame then PunPun. While 20th is still a pretty good manga, its third act is quite a let down for most readers. Just know that all three of these mangas are quite different compared to Berserk and Vagabond.
I realized I purchased a Humble Bundle pack a while ago, which had the first Blame Omnibus as PDF included. After reading it I decided that it might be a little bit too reliant on art/ I would have appreciated a wee bit more dialogue.

I went ahead and ordered Goodnight Punpun at it got me hooked immediately. After finishing chapter 50 yesterday
(wtf is going on)
I have to say, that this is a masterpiece.

So I'm pretty close to catching up with the few series I'm buying at the moment and kind of wanted to get into another shonen/battle series again soon. How is 666 Satan/O-Parts Hunter? I remember reading the first volume a long time ago and it felt like some combination of the beginning of Dragonball and Naruto. I just kind of remembered this series at random and decided I might check it out since all of the volumes are still in stock on Rightstuf and it's not a stupidly long series like a lot of notable shonen battle series tend to be.

It was very Naruto like due the author of that series and the Naruto author being twin brothers so they had similar influences but man did it seem like a carbon copy in some spots (to the point readers accused him of plagiarizing iirc)..

IIRC it got crazy at the end but it didn't drag unlike his bros creation, although that's more likely attributed to finishing in way less chapters/volumes.

Yeah, I knew the author was the twin brother of the Naruto guy, their art style's were pretty much identical lol.

Goodnight Punpun 68-78

These chapters kind of dragged on a bit, although it does seem to be building something up with these guys in the cult. Interesting to see that other girl from the art exhibit again, too.

It's allright. A bit cliché but mostly harmless.

Lilium Terrarium 01

aJGRpEe.png

How shameless. Not sure whether this is a collection of short, unrelated yuri stories or whether it'll focus on a particular couple(s), but it's cute and colourful so followed. Also I have no idea how you'd maintain a friendship (or even a conversation) with someone who Hawawawas so easily.

My Sister's Friend (SFW short)

Met My Sister's Friend While Reading Yuri Manga In The Bath At A Convention For Sisters Who Want To Meet Their Sisters On A Dating Site.

Supplementary Lessons (SFW doujin)

Gave My Sister's Friend Supplementary Lessons While Reading Yuri Manga In The Bath At A Convention For Sisters Who Want To Meet Their Sisters On A Dating Site.

We're getting into light novel title territory now. I'm looking forward to Mochi's unique take on isekai yuri.

I believe I found my new waifu:
new waifu
How shameless.

Bowl0l

The series part 1 and 2 is ok. But you might not like the ending..

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Grancrest senki 1-11
This is fantasy adventure manga alright. Loke, the cliche is there. It also well drawn, so there you have it.

Kaguya wants to be confessed in the wildwest 19
Lol, Phoebe so darn thirsty for Evan attention

Wandering dick
A R T
R
T

Golden Kamui latest
DEER MOTHER OF GOD
This is supposed to be horrible, but i cannot not laughing at that guy O face

Zweizer

Banned
Lilium Terrarium ch1 by ED

Twist: ther's no pretend, it's just an excuse.

But yeah, followed.

Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon ch48-51

They're all fitting really well. It's easy to forget that they're supposed to be dragons (outside of the occasional tail cooking).

As if there were any doubts as to her feelings. Now, if only Kobayashi would loosen up a little...

Hakoiri Drops ch36

Really though, Moe is the best character of the series. Her interactions with Ainoki are hilarious.

Who even uses traps outside of capture missions?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Koi to Uso

My preferred ships, in order:

Lilina x someone better than Nejima
Lilina x Takazaki
Lilina x Nejima

Takazaki x Nejima is a garbage ship

Top Bottom