• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Shengar

My friends just made interesting observation on Dungeon Meshi and how Ryoko Kui gender reflected in her work. First her female characters act natural in a way that they don't try to be cutesy (all the time) which mostly the case in manga authored by (talentless) male mangaka. Her female characters isn't restricted from making exaggerated reaction and little quirks (as shown by our best elf),which makes them have little difference with their male adventurer compatriot. The interacion between female characters also felt natural, like in the Farlyn and Marcille bathing scene where the focus is directed at their conversation and not their bathing activities. This approach isn't something you would usually see outside (good) romantic comedy or all girl cast manga that even created by female author.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yes Dungeon Meshi is very feminine like that.

MCD

The Promised Neverland

The part with Ray and childhood amnesia...I find it really hard to swallow even though I know very well this is a fantasy story with demons and stuff.

Koi wa Ameagari no You ni 13

Hope this dude gets stabbed in his gut before his head is slowly run over by a truck so he's out of this manga forever.

Koi wa Ameagari no You ni 15

Man, there's a reason I don't read a lot of romance and it's because Japan loves filling their shit to the brim with worthless, awful fucking dudes.

Usobuko

Banned
Why are you asking that, if I may ask?

I like Fata Morgana and MangaGAF, I kinda wanna give a copy away to support the developer but the version in steam only allows me to gift to SEA region players.

It's ok now though because I found someone in this criteria.

The sasaki kojiro backstory in Yagabond is amazing, favourite part thus far. Close second is Inshun arc

I envy you in the sense that you still have plenty of good options to run through after Vagabond. They are all around the same quality.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
The Promised Neverland ch. 28

Yeah, I did kind of roll my eyes at Ray and the childhood amnesia bit. It's not really a dealbreaker or anything, but it is a bit of a goofy explanation for why he knew so much.

Vinland Saga ch. 136

Poor Full Eyes. Dude's bullshitting skills are good, but not good enough.

The Black Museum: The Ghost and the Lady 1-28 (END)
bCJOviw.jpg
The author of Springald presents a new exhibit in his Black Museum - a historical drama starring two famous Brits, the supernatural Man in Grey and the very natural Florence Nightingale. It shares a number of similarities with Springald, including its retrospective manner of storytelling, its attention to historical detail and - most importantly - its excellence, becoming one of my top 10 favourite manga I've read.

It feels unusual for me on reflection, but I think much of my enjoyment came from the quasi-educational exploration of elements of British history that I (shamefully) knew little about, particularly the Crimean War and the specifics of Miss Nightingale's accomplishments. The author clearly has a researched interest in England that he wants to share with the reader, not just historically but also culturally, as the carefully woven setting, antiquated language and frequent sprinkling of Shakespeare quotes all show.

The other primary positive for me was the lead duo. Appropriately for a theatre fanatic, Grey reprises the roguish gentlemen role superbly, being both an admirable pillar of strength and effective foil to his leading lady's benevolent purity. Similarly, Florence is one of my favourite manga heroines to date. From the budding and blossoming of her latent potential under Grey's influence, through her unrelenting selflessness and compassion for the infirm at Scutari, and culminating in her crushing her arch-nemesis at Balaklava through sheer force of will, she's a national treasure in every sense.

If I had to list some negatives, Grey's supernatural duels with d'Éon were artistically messy, and the reader was too frequently reminded of particular plot points (this was probably more noticeable as someone who was marathoning it). That aside, I'd highly recommend this to those who enjoyed Springald, or anyone with an affinity for this period of British history.

Interestingly, the real life police 'Black Museum' that this fictional namesake is based on had its first public exhibition from Oct 2015 to April 2016, around two years after I read Springald. It's a shame I missed it, particularly if the cu
te
rator was there.

Also talk about a coincidence:

February 2017 Recommendation: The Black Museum - Springald

Historical supernatural action | 1 volume, Completed work, Licensed (not in English)
The Black Museum holds criminal memorabilia from the many cases that have been investigated by Scotland Yard. In this fictional re-imagining of the popular legend, a visitor comes to see a piece of particular interest, the leg of Spring-Heeled Jack. When the curator guides him to the piece, he begins to tell his story of the case of Spring-Heeled Jack, which began in the late 1830s. (source)
Zweizer: A fascinating tale that exudes the charm and atmosphere of a century-old painting, combined with the dynamism and expression of contemporary manga.

Note: Kodansha has published the 'sister series' The Black Museum: The Ghost and The Lady in English, but not Springald.
Springald has Zweizer's non-H seal of approval, so there's no excuse for not checking out either of these stories now.

Droplet

Our Journey to Lesbian Motherhood ch0 by Higashi Koyuki, Masuhara Hiroko, and Sugiyama Emiko

I'm pretty excited to read the rest of this. I am hugely fond of these kind of cartoony and educational but also very personal autobiographic stories like Honey & Honey and Hanayome wa Motodanshi, especially from a cultural standpoint, but this one also explores a more rarely touched subject. I'm curious to see how it all turns out.

Peco

Koi wa Ameagari no You ni 13

Hope this dude gets stabbed in his gut before his head is slowly run over by a truck so he's out of this manga forever.

Koi wa Ameagari no You ni 15

Man, there's a reason I don't read a lot of romance and it's because Japan loves filling their shit to the brim with worthless, awful fucking dudes.

Kase ain't that bad though. I feel deep down is a good guy. Just a hunch for now going by some panels in later chapters.

Kako and the False Detective 2
There's something in the water. The false detective continues to be a real detective, while Kako continues to be creepy-cute. And I continue to enjoy their antics. Long may this continue.

e: Kabe ni Mary.com 3

Sure is ghosts in here today. I'm surprised this is getting into actual plot so quickly, but then it can't really sustain itself purely on the comedic interactions between the two leads. If the new girl is another spirit, I'd assume she's Hanako.

Zweizer

Banned
I like Fata Morgana and MangaGAF, I kinda wanna give a copy away to support the developer but the version in steam only allows me to gift to SEA region players.

It's ok now though because I found someone in this criteria.

Ah I see, that's very nice of you~

Springald has Zweizer's non-H seal of approval, so there's no excuse for not checking out either of these stories now.

I still need to read the other series, but good to know that you enjoyed it~

I'm pretty excited to read the rest of this. I am hugely fond of these kind of cartoony and educational but also very personal autobiographic stories like Honey & Honey and Hanayome wa Motodanshi, especially from a cultural standpoint, but this one also explores a more rarely touched subject. I'm curious to see how it all turns out.

They're great, and I feel the cutesy artstyle of these series generally works well in tackling difficult subjects in a tasteful way. Hadn't read Hanayome wa Motodanshi yet though, so thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Fbh

Promised Neverland.

Yeah, that explanation was pretty silly, even for a fantasy world with demons.
But anyway, it will be interesting to see what happens now.

Holy shit spring weapon no 01 is still going. What's that all about lol?

It was the only one of the previous round of Jump Starts that was any good, although since the first volume didn't rank at all in the sales charts (I think?), it probably won't last much longer. Shame, since I actually really liked it.

Gintama 625

hoooooooly shit I legit completely forgot about that guy

I knew what the twist was going to be from the very first page and somehow it only made it that much funnier (probably since he was already one of my favorite Gintama side characters). Considering how much we've seen of the Dakini Tribe recently, I can't believe I didn't call this sooner!

The way this final arc is giving meaningful development/characters arcs to *everyone* is just incredible. This manga is a masterpiece.

Hungry Marie 1

Lol wut?

Guess I'll reserve judgement on this till we see chapter 2-3 since like u19 this seems to be going for the long play on what direction the series will take.

My friends just made interesting observation on Dungeon Meshi and how Ryoko Kui gender reflected in her work. First her female characters act natural in a way that they don't try to be cutesy (all the time) which mostly the case in manga authored by (talentless) male mangaka. Her female characters isn't restricted from making exaggerated reaction and little quirks (as shown by our best elf),which makes them have little difference with their male adventurer compatriot. The interacion between female characters also felt natural, like in the Farlyn and Marcille bathing scene where the focus is directed at their conversation and not their bathing activities. This approach isn't something you would usually see outside (good) romantic comedy or all girl cast manga that even created by female author.

this is something I notice in almost every work by female mangakas/author.

Shengar

There's another point by friend that makes Ryoko Kui particularly more interesting in that way (it might be related to Dungeon Meshi genre as fantasy though). I want to bring it up before but I decided to read her oneshots first beforehand.

BLack Clover

That was different.I thougth Asta would save himself, but if someone else like ms vanessa is truly awakening, then make it happen. Very creative.

Boruto
C5sEgBiWUAIaBpO.jpg:large

This is amazing as well as Boruto wanting to be like Sasuke. This is almost everything I could ever wish for. And then if Boruto even has eye jutsus too...he'll be even stronger than Naruto. Please become the next hokage, make it happen Kishimoto.

Viz Shonen Jump 2/27

My Hero Academia

Ignoring the art snafu this week I like the explanation of why Nighteye allowed Deku to join his work study. Either Deku will grow into the hero Nighteye expects All Might's successor to be, or he'll give up and transfer the powers to the person Nighteye believes should be the next successor. The cliff hanger ending has me very excited for next weeks chapter.

Boruto

We're finally free of Boruto movie recap, like super's recap of the bog/rof movies the arc is fine but inferior to the movie version. I really like the dynamic between Boruto and Sarada I'm hoping down the road Sarada will train under Naruto which while cliche would foil nicely with Sauske training Boruto.

Black Clover

Vanessa to get a huge power up and save the day? I'm totally okay with this turn of events. The Vanessa flash back was also solid, short but effective.

Poro's Diaries

Yeah this sucks, the comedy falls completely flat and the few pages where poro get serious almost work but it doesn't have the right kind of oomph it needs.

Food Wars

An expected but necessary chapter, this arc really is Erina's with everyone else being a supporting character for her or an antagonist for her to overcome in her quest to become her own person.

U19

This manga really is knd but with a goal of overthrow the grownup party and save the main characters love interest from them. Disappointed the mangaka didn't let our mc do much with his power in this chapter series is likely to lost people before it really gets a chance to shine. If this doesn't get picked up by viz but survives past 20 chapters I'll pick up whatever fan scanlation works on it.

Promised Neverland

This is easily the weakest explanation for why Ray knew the truth, the mangaka might as well have said "I figured it out by the strange inconsistencies in xyz" since that would have been a better explanation than infantile amnesia not impact Ray. The bigger issue that isn't explained is how did ray figure out how to make a tracking device disabler from random scraps of things mom smuggled in for him?

Rwby

Its over... yay?

YGO Arc V

Cliche he'll lose his guardian spirit things so he needs to learn to do all kinds of dueling on his own. An alright set up chapter.

Poro 2
C5sININWQAAOzn0.jpg:large

Hopefully hall monitor continues to be involved, think he could be a good third friend for Poro and Yuta.

Continually surprised yet another character has just accepted Poro being a demon.

C5sLIYFUoAAIfen.jpg:small

Food Wars

Best panel was already posted...but I hope the Soma team takes all out come happens. I dont see how the manga could go on, if say, they lost and were expelled.

Promised Neverland

The house set up seemed weird, what if they just left in the opposite direction?

RWBY END

What a waste of time.

YGO ARC-V 19

Duel runners will be epic in the future, but I dont want the other Yuuya's to be split from him, unless of course there is some bad reason for how they all got in him in the first place.

I dont know how Sora will play into all of this.

mdubs

Banned
Hungry Marie 1

Well that was weird and very off the wall, but in a funny way. I don't know how I feel about it yet (I have not read Beezelbub)

mdubs

Banned
Demon Prince Poro's Diaries 2

This was not a good chapter. The plot offered up nothing particularly interesting and was quite predictable, and it wasn't funny (whereas the first chapter had a few funny moments). I don't see where the story is going and it just isn't interesting.

The art was also suprisingly bad (the full page spread in the first chapter was good, and the art there as a whole was much better). There were a lot of plain backgrounds here and the action scenes were so simplistic that if we didn't know that they had to have the chapter done ahead of time for new serializations I would have wondered if they were crunched up against a deadline and rushing.

I don't see this getting picked up at all

Ole Golazo 12 (END)

Holy moly I haven't read this since the Jump Start but what in the hell went wrong here with Hanamori's face

e2c068cba7.jpg

Ascheroth

Poro #2

This was shockingly unfunny and the action wasn't good either. Art felt worse than the first chapter as well.

U19 #3

Eiji's power seems pretty interesting, but of course he was interrupted from saving Akari, lol.
The new characters look like a fun bunch.
I'm also intrigued how they will 'fight' against the adults. Will it be superpowers vs. tech?

My current personal ranking would be:
Hungry Marie > U19 > We Never Learn >>>>>>>>> Poro

Hungry Marie 1
Thia was good! The humour was good and the characters were pretty great. I like Taiga's design a lot. But if he is going to change gender like that, I ain't sure.

U19 3
Still only ok, my problem is probably the character design. Pass on this VIZ.

Poro's diaries 2

That was great, the comedy was super well done and the action felt so good. My little Poro is so badass! Hopefully this gets picked since it's easily the best of the JUMP starts. Pick this up VIZ, it's an easy winner.

So far its Poro>Hungry Marie>U19>We never learn.

OMG I just noticed! The RWBY manga is over!

Freedom! Freedom!

Also you realize you love poro which means its probably doa like red sprite before it :p

Astra Lost In Space 26

Charce is a royal, assuming nobody is lying about their origin story and the fact Sanya looks like Aries I'm doubling down on my theory that she's a cyborg/robot probably designed after Charce's comatose friend and also the assassin who was sent to ensure they died.

Astra Lost in Space 26
So Charce was also adopted before coming to the camp. Yeah I'm doubling down on that being related to what's going on

WOW yagabond spoilers, Im dumb.
I totally thought this entire time Kojiro died and matahachi stole his name. Only now as im reading the parts before the battle between deshenchiro and musashi have i realized it was Tenki who died and not Kojiro. Doh. bout to get gud

I...wouldn't necessarily commit that far too it. A lot of female mangaka unfortunately also write very problematic, flat or designed-for-men female characters (or even if not targeted towards men, dangerous tropes to fall into for women). It's...regretfully a bit of editor tampering, Japanese society and cultural shores.

Now obviously more women are writing better women characters on the reg and the tone as well as subject matter can often be handled in a very different way but I wouldn't say that women mangaka are knocking it out of the park all the time. But that's also being a bit pedantic and not giving credit where due.

Komi-san wa Komyusho desu 22

Man, I really love how adorable this manga is. The art really complements the shyness.

Gal Gohan 3

One of the better gyaru manga starts honestly, by the simple virtue of the gyaru acting like...well, gyaru. I have no doubt it'll devolve into pure gyaru stuff but for the moment it's entertaining and switches between good art and cute/dumb reaction face art well.

Also damn, girl moves fast.

Kako and the False Detective 2

A good chapter that had a self-contained mystery to solve, showing that the dude has detective chops still. Kako and his interactions are pretty great as expected from the mangaka of Princess Resurrection so I'll be happy to follow this. He'll be much more able to utilize his creepy drawing style in this manga than P-Res cause that took the piss out of itself more often than not.

Kabe ni Mary.com 3

I kinda like it better when it plays stuff for laughs. Mary is still an entertaining existence.

Astra 26

DON'T BELIEVE ONDORE'S LIES!

Astra Lost in Space 26
So Charce was also adopted before coming to the camp. Yeah I'm doubling down on that being related to what's going on

Remember the talk about dna testing in the parent focused chapter? If you buy into my all these kids are clones (minus Aries who is cyborg) it would explain why the parents wanted them all killed

Freedom! Freedom!

Also you realize you love poro which means its probably doa like red sprite before it :p

Astra Lost In Space 26

Charce is a royal, assuming nobody is lying about their origin story and the fact Sanya looks like Aries I'm doubling down on my theory that she's a cyborg/robot probably designed after Charce's comatose friend and also the assassin who was sent to ensure they died.
Bass please! You'll jink it!

Top Bottom