• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

BLack Clover
C9oiMnmWAAAI4Z8.jpg:small

Dorksta, lol. Yuno too. I love how Yuno read the situation and did what he did best to make sure people didnt look down on Asta. Very awesome moment, and the action moment made the oddly draw moments of the previous chapters worth it.

I wonder if the king will actually be...a kid.

Zweizer

Banned
Grand Blue ch1-34 by Inoue Kenji & Yoshioka Kimitake

Grand Blue is a diving manga.

What, you want more?

Alright, alright.

Grand Blue features Iori, a freshman at the Izu University, and he's moved into his uncle's diving shop for lodging. There, he meets his, erm, more than persuasive seniors, who convince him to join the diving club, despite his protests and his inability to swim. With not a moment of rest, he still manages somehow to fit in despite several bouts of drunken stupor, and grows an interest in diving in-between.

Grand Blue is a manga loosely associated with diving in broad strokes, at times. In most other sport manga, who make the featured sport the principal focus and build up the cast and setting around it. Here, diving itself is at times little more than an excuse for the authors to create the appropriate setting to let loose a colorful and likeable cast, involved in all maneers of antics as they live their youth, coupled with biting humor and awesome expressions.

And most importantly, getting themselves smashed silly.

If you're looking for an absolutely hilarious manga where the characters try to outdo themselves at every turn in screwing each other (and ultimately themselves) over, a quirky yet well-rounded cast, tons and tons of alcohol, the pleasant eye-candy (for every demographic), and diving, sometimes, once in a blue moon, Grand Blue is perfect for you.

If you're looking for a serious diving manga however, well Grand Blue is still a highly recommended read, as the diving parts are beautifully depicted and well-explained. Just be careful of laughing fits, and tons and tons of alcohol.

PS: Always carry a lighter with you. It might save your life!

Viz Jump 4/17

Dr Stone

The comedy continues to be on point. All 4 characters are really entertaining can't wait so see where this goes.

One Piece

Hmm

I dunno how to feel about this

It's not that the twist is bad on paper, the issue is it doesn't feel earned since we've seen nothing to indicate her third eye was this source of bully/pain.

Promised Neverland

Can't believe I ever doubted Phil what a true dude. Looks like shit really gets real next week wonder what the kids plan is for the alarm.

We Never Learn

Yeah this has descended very quickly into the worst kind of harem schlock. I can't even say it's bad but it's strength is when it focuses on the tutoring portions and not the harem stuff.

Food Wars/Shokugeki no Soma

Like Alice during the fall classic, soba girl is too cool to be jobbing to Soma. Worse unlike Alice this soba girl wasn't build up at all before this fight. The judges are pretty cool glad there will be no shenanigans as to who wins.

Black Clover

Another decent chapter, I really want to see Asta and Yuno fight all out all and not in this show how strong we are to the crowd kinda way.

My Hero Academia

Red Riot's ultimate move was sick as shit, never cared much for him before but these chapters have really elevated him.

Robot x Laserbeam

Man this is really dull, an mc who doesn't give a shit is really boring.

Ascheroth

Fire Brigade of Flames 75

God damn that last page.

Also sniping with a shotgun so hard that you you have to swap the entire gun after each shot is fucking badass.
Well, "sniping".

This is a curious manga.
The first 20-30 chapters were really fucking mediocre at best, then it got kinda ok-ish and recently it's actually been good.

Hopefully that trend continues.

Zweizer

Banned
Their Story ch128

A little motivation goes a long way.

Our Journey to Lesbian Motherhood ch5

It seems like there's quite a few people using the sperm of a gay acquaintance.

Mitsuboshi Colors ch22

RIP Nono. Shouldn't tell lie to little children.

Fire Brigade of Flames 75

God damn that last page.

Also sniping with a shotgun so hard that you you have to swap the entire gun after each shot is fucking badass.
Well, "sniping".

This is a curious manga.
The first 20-30 chapters were really fucking mediocre at best, then it got kinda ok-ish and recently it's actually been good.

Hopefully that trend continues.

Yea i bumped into this and then realized its from the Soul Eater mangaka.

While i fell off of Soul Eater i could still give this a shot one of these days.

Goblin Is Very Strong 2

Discrimination is wrong. Everyone should be treated equally, which is why it's perfectly fine for her to attack crying children, to avoid being ageist. I know it's early days, but I can already see an endgame in which a high-level Aki squares off against Goblin-san / the Demon Lord (with or without Granite). It could actually be pretty impactful depending on how their relationship's built up across the story.

Dandte

Looks like i found my new shounen manga. Great art, great action, great comedy and the characters are all likeable. I have high hopes for this.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yuragi

This series is so lewd and dumb.
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Of COURSE she turns out to be a total fucken stalker
KuGsj.gif

Boogiepop

...I'm very, very much not happy right now that WNL and Robo both got picked up by US Jump, while Hungry Marie hasn't, and there's no line about more series being added in the preview for next time. If they seriously passed it up for those two, then I'm going to actually be legitimately a bit pissed, dumb as that may sound.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
A Trail of Blood ch. 4

That close up worried mom face lol.

His cousin better sleep with one eye open after that prank.

Prison School ch. 249

Find it a little cute that Slut-Sempai went to grab a copy of The Three Kingdoms, actually.

Fancolors

Trail of Blood 4
I think this the first time creepy smile showed an expression that didn't unsettle me. I expect this trip to be building up to something, but who knows, maybe this manga's ultimate twist is that nothing ever happens and Seiji grows up to be a normal adult, nothing bad ever happens, he has a family with his school crush, the end.

Zweizer

Banned
Murciélago ch46-48

Man, it's been a while since the last chapter. I missed it so much. I rather like the Kyougoku guy. He looks like he belongs in a Fukumoto manga.

I find the lack of Urara action disturbing, however.

Murcielago ch48.5

Leave it to Kuroko to solve high school prostitution, the pleasant way.

upandaway

Yotsuba 95

Wow she recovered so easily. If those things happened to me back to back like that as a kid I'd be destroyed for the whole day minimum. Actually not even as a kid.

MCD

There is a new manga that caught my attention called Wortenia Senki.

Anyone read it? It's another virtual world blablahblah but the MC is ruthless.

Now I must read it. No virtual world or Isekai manga will escape my manga readers sight!

Narakunoadu Ch0-6: So this is really good. Surprisingly so. Characters are fun and interesting, and a certain character's motivation is really questionable, but still enjoyable. Hoping this manages to keep being interesting as we confront more of the Deamon kings and the world around them.

EDIT: Wortenia Senki Ch1-4: First of all it's not a Virtual world, it's an Isekai manga, not that I'm complaining. Enjoying this so far, I especially like the ruthlessness of it all, leaving our MC in quite a moral grey area - while not managing to be a master-level edge lord like Arifuta's MC. Nothing's really happened yet but it leaves melooking forward to more!

Ascheroth

Well I just read it. Only 4 chapters out anyway.
Also, it's regular isekai, not virtual world.

Was a decent read, clever ruthless MC that isn't an edgy asshole is pretty refreshing, even though nothing much has happened yet.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Jojolion ch. 64

That middle school bully must've been held back a number of years.

Murciélago ch. 46 - 48.5

Hey, I remember this manga. And now we're getting teased with superhuman crackhead zombies? Sweet, glad this is back.

Sing Yesterday for Me ch. 106

Hey, this is also back, and ... these two are still together despite having zero chemistry with each other. Huh.

I give up guessing what Japan will like and not like!

WSJ Cast (Cover)
One Piece (Lead CP)
1. My Hero Academia
2. Haikyu!!
Chingiri (CP, One Shot)
Robot x Laserbeam
3. The Promised Neverland
Kimetsu no Yaiba (CP)
4. Spring Weapon No. 1
5. Black Clover
Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Souma (CP)
6. Dr. Stone (First Rank)
7. Gintama
8. Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
9. Hinomaru Zumou
10. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
11. We Never Learn
12. Samon the Summoner
13. Hungry Marie (Second Rank)
14. Demon Prince Poro's Diaries (Third Rank)
15. U19
Chronicle of Isobe ~Life is Hard~

Weekly Shonen Jump #23
Cover, Lead CP: The Promised Neverland
CP: Samon the Summoner, Boruto, Dr. Stone

I have 0 damn clue what WSJ is going to do, mass axing, controlled axing, genre axing (killing those doing badly that don't fill a genre hole for the magazine) or a small axing and waiting till Vol 1 sales to decide the rest.

So robot x laser beam is the only ? The other 4 series are all dumpster fire ratings wise

Robot's first rated ranking will be Issue #24 since there was a week break of no new series between Stone and Robot.

I'm surprised Spring Weapon bounced back like that. Wasn't it near the bottom for a while?

Spring Weapon has been unstable ranking wise, was in last place for Issue #17 but has been in the top half since then.

I give up guessing what Japan will like and not like!

WSJ Cast (Cover)
One Piece (Lead CP)
1. My Hero Academia
2. Haikyu!!
Chingiri (CP, One Shot)
Robot x Laserbeam
3. The Promised Neverland
Kimetsu no Yaiba (CP)
4. Spring Weapon No. 1
5. Black Clover
Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Souma (CP)
6. Dr. Stone (First Rank)
7. Gintama
8. Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
9. Hinomaru Zumou
10. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
11. We Never Learn
12. Samon the Summoner
13. Hungry Marie (Second Rank)
14. Demon Prince Poro's Diaries (Third Rank)
15. U19
Chronicle of Isobe ~Life is Hard~

Weekly Shonen Jump #23
Cover, Lead CP: The Promised Neverland
CP: Samon the Summoner, Boruto, Dr. Stone
Wow I admit I am surprised. I thought Hungry Marie had a good start+the CP(I know DTL told us that was no sure thing). Guess VIZ either got tipped by the Japan branch or the signs really pointed in that direction. So does that mean RobotxLaserbeam will perform well? A VIZ revolution were they don't mess up?

Fake edit: nvm I just saw WNL at #11.

So robot x laserbeam not withstanding dr stone seems to be the only remotely well received series among the six? I can't imagine that's good for jump who's clearly desperate to fill up the magazine.

So robot x laserbeam not withstanding dr stone seems to be the only remotely well received series among the six? I can't imagine that's good for jump who's clearly desperate to fill up the magazine.

At the very least what strong title they have is strong. (MHA, PNL, Haikyu, etc.) But yea, Blowing 6 JUMP starts for 1(maybe 2) pick-ups doesn't seem that great. Maybe they will changes tactics and give new titles more time? Probably not.

At the very least what strong title they have is strong. (MHA, PNL, Haikyu, etc.) But yea, Blowing 6 JUMP starts for 1(maybe 2) pick-ups doesn't seem that great. Maybe they will changes tactics and give new titles more time? Probably not.

I mean they don't have a choice unless they want to cut out a third of the magazine. Unless hxh and wt come back in a 1-2 punch in a month or so jump doesn't have enough series.

Samon and Spring weapon have never done that well sales/ratings wise, they've always just done well enough to skate by on the corpses of doa series.

That's a shame about Hungry Marie; after how mediocre Beelzebub was (IMO), it was a delightful surprise how that was easily the funnest of the new Jump Starts.

Hopefully it'll bounce back.

I'm surprised Spring Weapon bounced back like that. Wasn't it near the bottom for a while?

I'm stunned myself; it's not even selling, either. Rumor has it the editors gave it another chance, but who knows what's going on.

Regardless, it was my favorite Jump Start from last year and I'd love to see it take off. On that note, I'm surprised no one's, uh, "translating" it.

Top Bottom