• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Promised Neverland 35

Oh shit, I was not expecting Emma to actually do that. I mean, it makes total sense but...you get prepared for shit in shonen manga to be all "NO WE DO IT DIS WAY OR NOT AT ALL" and then they do it but she really is revealing herself more and more lately to not just be a gungho one note endless optimist. Good shit.

Also I am not even REMOTELY surprised by Phil's reaction in this chapter.

Emma:
We're actually being grown on a demon farm to be food for people and Mama is the devil
Phil: Yeah, that seems about right.
Everyone: ?!?!?!
Phil: It's cool, just
leave me and go

IT'S YA FUCKING BOI PHIL

Kaguya 60

YOU GOT PLAYED, KAGUYA

Now just to drop that Shameless Woman and have the perfect Student Council.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Dungeon Meshi ch. 33

Dude, I love Kuro. The main party should get their own talking doggo member too.

The Promised Neverland ch. 35

Phil accepted the situation rather quickly. A little too quickly, actually. I see through this kid, y'all.
uZTue0u.png

upandaway

The Promised Neverland ch. 35

Phil accepted the situation rather quickly. A little too quickly, actually. I see through this kid, y'all.
uZTue0u.png
The manga's been hyping up Phil for forever now in the little details. I said before how I think they're setting up Phil to be a Norman-level kid or better after a timeskip, I wouldn't be surprised if eventually he manages to escape with the rest of the kids without Emma's help.

Tokyo Ghoul re: Ch121: Touka's asking the important questions.
Made me spit my coffee all over my desk.

EDIT: Removed image due to watermarks. But just read page 18 of chapter 121 and you'll see what I mean.

Zweizer

Banned
Keijo ch138

They did great. Poor Nozomi though.

And damn, being in the Goketsu must do wonders to your shape.

Elf-san wa Yaserarenai. ch5

Dark Elf still da best, so good to see her again~

Renai Boukun ch45

More girls, more trouble.

Rokudou no Onna-tachi ch17

That didn't take long, though I'm not sure she qualifies as a delinquent.

It's down now but this was on viz yesterday confirming what gold crusader speculated yesterday

It's a brand new issue with brand new series! Joining the already epic lineup are WE NEVER LEARN and ROBOT x LASERBEAM! Can Nariyuki tutor two hopeless cases while keeping his sanity? Will Robo ever miss a shot? Find out in this week's issue

No Hungry Marie then? That's disappointing... unless it's coming after the Jump break.

If I had to speculate the editor for rxl was also the editor for hm so if both were close enough in terms of fan reaction she might have pushed rxl over hm to be the 3rd series picked up. Perhaps viz also feels wary about skipping on a sports manga with some buzz after how well kuroko and haikyu have done.

Arabesque

If I had to speculate the editor for rxl was also the editor for hm so if both were close enough in terms of fan reaction she might have pushed rxl over hm to be the 3rd series picked up. Perhaps viz also feels wary about skipping on a sports manga with some buzz after how well kuroko and haikyu have done.

To add, Hungry Marie kind of crosses over in terms of premise and appeal with other titles in the magazine (being action and romance oriented), so they probably decided to got for titles that are "unique" in English Jump (We Never Learn as romcom, RxL as sports, Dr. Stone as adventure/action) rather than Hungry Marie (romcom/action?).

All in all, it's not really a bad selection. Last time they picked up every Jump Start and that ended up being a dud for them, and I think they picked up almost all the best series from this batch (I personally think Hungry Marie > RxL). And who knows, maybe the votes in the survey did push for those 3 to be added.

The only positive is wnl cratering in the Japanese jump toc means my original prediction of "jump will pick up wnl and then it'll get canceled while they'll skip something that becomes a big hit and they'll truly be a great example of wnl" is still on track :p

Moaradin

Viz Jump does seem to have pretty bad foresight when it comes to these things. Only recent example of a good pickup that I remember is TPN.

The 3 series they added are at least varied in term of genres, so they are probably good choices for reaching a larger audience. Now if only Robo wasn't a glasses wearing MC.

Hopefully for them these dont get axed though. Like people said they have been pretty bad with JUMP starts and TPN was more of an obvious/lucky shot.

Arabesque

The only positive is wnl cratering in the Japanese jump toc means my original prediction of "jump will pick up wnl and then it'll get canceled while they'll skip something that becomes a big hit and they'll truly be a great example of wnl" is still on track :p

Maybe the answer to getting a hit in ESJ was making a romcom in setting of a manga localisation company.

Viz Jump does seem to have pretty bad foresight when it comes to these things. Only recent example of a good pickup that I remember is TPN.

What about World Trigg--- oh.

I actually forgot that Black Clover got picked as a Jump Start too. I think that might have been their only successful pick up, outside of late additions like Food Wars and My Hero.

The 3 series they added are at least varied in term of genres, so they are probably good choices for reaching a larger audience. Now if only Robo wasn't a glasses wearing MC.

Hopefully for them these dont get axed though. Like people said they have been pretty bad with JUMP starts and TPN was more of an obvious/lucky shot.

Is there something wrong with his glasses lol?

As for the axing, that really has little to do with them. I mean, last time they picked up everything and the result was that everything sans PN got cut. It's just that WSJ is that combative/cut throat.

They probably need to just pick stuff up from other magazines, but even then they don't seem to get it either *looks over at RWBY*

dramatis

Dungeon Meshi 32-33

I know there's worldbuilding and all, but

Man if Laius saw that sea serpent getting tossed aside after everything he would cry rivers

The main solution to solving all these weird problems with Guy Who Spends Too Much Time Thinking is just to feed his group. That girl holding the sea serpent's head had the right idea.

Although maybe don't use the head in cooking

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I still remember the early days of Viz Jump, two series started around the same time.
Assassination Classroom and Takamagahara. Viz picked up the latter and ignored AssClass.
Takamagahara bombed immensely. Assassination Classroom was a big hit with an OVA, followed by two seasons of anime, and two movies. Viz was way too weary because "guns in the classroom" (understandable, but after a while it became silly).

Viz also took like six months to pick up My Hero Academia, and were way too weary on Soma because of how lewd it is. Kids aren't reading your magazine Viz!

I'll be disappointed if Hungry Marie doesn't make it, as thats my favorite of the new series.

I feel like once a series reaches a good amount of success in Japan Viz should always pick it up and work on blazing through the back log in the magazine OR put old chapters up for free while releasing the newest chapters same day with Japan. Gotta be cheaper long term then taking a risk on stuff like red sprite/love rush that gets instantly shit canned.

Elf-san wa Yaserarenai. 5

Welp.

*takes a cold shower*

*emerges 4000 years later*

Nope. That didn't work.

Sekitou Elegy 51

Alright, a new chapter!

Fucking pussy-ass wimpy motherfucker.

Husk of Eden 26

Alright, a new chapter!

I...forget everything about this manga.

Rokudou 17

Hrmmmmm. I think she's being affected by his spell because even though her ideal is to be an officer she is literally masquerading as one and running delinquents off the road. That's pretty..."bad" of her. I'm not all that into her at this moment but we'll see how this arc plays out. Rokudou's opposition to getting a license bordered on childish and was really annoying so this arc didn't start out so great.

Love Tyrant 45

Well okay. This manga really just does whatever the fuck it wants, ignoring whatever happened in previous arcs, doesn't it? 2 more to the harem pile.

*dumps them in*

I'm actually kinda amazed that this is getting as liked as it is in anime form over in the anime thread.

Turned into a Breast Milk Fountain by a Beautiful Vampire (END)
Holy shit. I knew about Ashton's evolution, but that was a level of cold-blooded savagery beyond anything I could've hoped for. The total absence of remorse over Douglas's death was one thing, but killing his son without batting an eyelid was more delicious than the resulting breast milk. The addendum in the comments about throwing away the ring is just the icing on the icing.

This was an absolutely flawless conclusion, except for the fact that it means closing the book on the greatest yuri love story since... uh, probably the last Maitake doujin I read. Ashton's
corruption /
journey along the bloodstained path of true love was inspired, lewd, compelling and lewd. I found the format refreshing and would be open to reading more stories in this style, though admittedly art quality is important to me so the subject matter would have to be similarly fascinating to hold my attention.

Fbh

Promised Neverland 35

Cool chapter. Phil has allways been shown on the side to be a bit special. Makes sense that he will turn into the leader of the kids that are left behind.
Also, seems like the demons have their own death squad, I wonder how they will deal with them.

A bit of a nitpick but I wish everyone in this manga was like 5 years older.
I know it's a story about demons harvesting kids and some will roll their eyes if people start talking about suspension of disbelief. But I think the main trio would be more believable if they were like 17-18. Or Phil, I could totally buy his reaction of he was 9-10 but at 4 it's really getting close to ridiculous .

Zweizer

Banned
(NSFW) Turned into a Breast Milk Fountain by a Beautiful Vampire (End) by Kouji

Ashton sure became cold-blooded. At least they're now forever united. Such a beautiful love story that consumes the norms of society.

Admittedly I've never thought about periods in vampire fiction before, so it made me laugh surprisingly hard.

Arabesque

Dungeon Meshi 32-33
Man if Laius saw that sea serpent getting tossed aside after everything he would cry rivers

He then could use all that salted tears water to ferment the sea serpent!

Probably wont be able to make use of it immediately, but they could cook bits of it and then preserve the rest and leave it till they go back down later on. It should be a while anyways, and it will be good preparations for their second attempt down the dungeon.

Assassination Classroom was a big hit with an OVA, followed by two seasons of anime, and two movies. Viz was way too weary because "guns in the classroom" (understandable, but after a while it became silly)

I agree with the general gist of your post (I do think that Viz knows what the age range of their readership well, but are acting like it is much younger than it is) but they had every right at the time to be weary re: picking up Assassination Classroom. The gun debate at the time would have brought on a lot of unwelcome attention, and not in the sort of ''all publicity is good publicity'' kind.

There is a knack of the folks at Viz having more misses than hits when it comes to what they chose to pick up, though I wonder why they don't seem to get any of the Japanese branch to weigh in on letting them know what to avoid/pick up.

I feel like once a series reaches a good amount of success in Japan Viz should always pick it up and work on blazing through the back log in the magazine OR put old chapters up for free while releasing the newest chapters same day with Japan. Gotta be cheaper long term then taking a risk on stuff like red sprite/love rush that gets instantly shit canned.

It might be, but the way they are handling the free section, I feel like they don't actually care that much? It seems they are fine with just focusing on letting the readership catch up through the volumes rather than the free section.

Angel of Slaughter
I approve. This is an oddity in that it's an RPG Maker horror game with a plot that could be expressed just as effectively in a manga version, if not potentially more so. Though that's probably more because of the game's shortcomings than the content of the story itself.

Though you may burn to Ash
FUCK YES CRUEL CRUEL LET'S GO

I'm not perverted. I just have a more curious mind!

Uuuuhhhhhuuuuuuuuuhhh. Sure you are.

Fire Brigade Of Flames Ch64-73: I gave this a break as I wasn't really digging it, but boy did the last 9 chapters really up it's game, some really great abilities and some really great panels to show it all off. Gone from a mediocre 5/10 to a solid 7/10, maybe even higher if it keeps on making these strides.

Top Bottom