• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

NTeQczz.png

I don't think the translators have a solid grasp on Dragon Ball

I mean, I know it's a Scanlation but I always thought some of this might be down to the audience brought into Dragon Ball by DBZA and trying to appease
No,
that's not the right word.
them as well. Who know's it doesn't really bother me at all. In fact, I find it kinda fun. This coming from someone who grew up on the original English run of the anime.

Zweizer

Banned
Finally got around to finishing JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 7: Steel Ball Run (spoilers abound).

As a side note, I've heard part 8 is a continuation of the part 7 universe. As I've only read Jojo series when they've completed, for people who are reading part 8, would you say it'd be good to catch up to where it's at now or to wait?

Steel Ball Run is great, especially with how well-rounded the main characters were. Concerning Jojolion, I personally am waiting for it to wrap up before reading it as I heard it's pretty slow at times.

Zweizer

Banned
Goblin Is Very Strong ch3

First page, and Barf already has strong competition.

Being a monster is not easy. Maybe they ought to seek more fulfilling jobs elsewhere.

Rokudou no Onna-tachi ch19

She's pretty shrewd.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
As a side note, I've heard part 8 is a continuation of the part 7 universe. As I've only read Jojo series when they've completed, for people who are reading part 8, would you say it'd be good to catch up to where it's at now or to wait?

A lot of ground's already been covered in Jojolion and there's been some really cool material so far (Damo arc). Currently it's gearing up for some pretty important new stuff, which we might see start up with the next chapter.

There are things I've disliked to be sure (Joshu), but I haven't been bothered by its pacing since I caught up. I think it's a question of are you fine with the monthly cycle now or not tbh.

Revo

Thanks for the thoughts.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 8: JoJolion 1

Probably the billionth time someone has made this joke
but we're certainly off to a bizarre start

Goblin Is Very Strong ch3

First page, and Barf already has strong competition.

Being a monster is not easy. Maybe they ought to seek more fulfilling jobs elsewhere.

I think anything else would be too much work for goblin. She didn't even want to be the snake tail.

It's quite sad that I can probabaly count on one hand the number of 'transported to another world' series that don't devolve into 'MC was a neet who now has superpowers and is gods gift to women who all want to sleep with him, and look, his knowledge of modern world stuff makes him some unstoppable hero".

It's so obvious that most of it is self insert fanfic tier stuff.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's quite sad that I can probabaly count on one hand the number of 'transported to another world' series that don't devolve into 'MC was a neet who now has superpowers and is gods gift to women who all want to sleep with him, and look, his knowledge of modern world stuff makes him some unstoppable hero".

It's so obvious that most of it is self insert fanfic tier stuff.

So long as it's interesting there's nothing inherently wrong with it.

Goblin is Very Strong 3
Snappy fashion sense + hair over eye = Demon is Very Cute. I'd be onboard with senpai noticing her. Permadeath for monsters is disgustingly prejudicial and heightens the stakes for the eventual Barf-goblin endgame showdown.

Claymore Start-End

This was a pretty enjoyable read. It was a lot more original and unique than I thought it would be considering a lot of people I knew had told me that it was very similar to Berserk. There are still a few problems I have with the series though. First off the claymores look way too similar to the point that by the end I had problem telling who's who. It's not a huge deal early on, but since there's so many characters by the end I had problems remembering all of their names and could only tell some of the extended cast by their hair. My second major issue is with the pacing: there's very little to no downtime between all the action. It's something I like about the early story where you would usually have a good amount of downtime to flesh out the characters and relax for a bit before the action picks up again. Right after
Ophelia
is where I think this began to start and it becomes a lot more irritating after the
time skip
where it seems like there's a fight in every chapter. I think the worst part about this is that there's a lot of moments in the story that could've benefited from a calmer pace, for example the part
where Isley talks about forming a surrogate family with Raki and Priscilla would've been a lot more effective if they had just given us a few more scenes together.
The death of
Isley
also leads into another problem that I had which is the weird escalation in power that feels very "shonen" for a lack of a better word. I get that
Priscilla
is supposed to be really powerful but the fact that they hyped up the
abyssal ones
to be so strong only to go down the way they did is a bit disappointing. The series really begins to lack that desperate feeling that the early chapters had since the main characters grow so strong by the end that all that tension is taken away. That being said there's still a lot of awesome moments in the story such as
Miria returning with a scar, Raki stabbing Priscilla through the neck, and the Claymores' last stand at Pieta
. It's just that moments like these are separated between a lot of fights that feel a bit meaningless.

On a side note, I really like the character development in this series. Clare, Jean, and the rest of the 7 main claymores are really enjoyable to follow. I like how Yagi was able to differentiate the 7 main ones to a degree and give them their own unique techniques and abilities. I think the most surprising character to me is Raki in that he's a lot more likeable and less insufferable than I thought he would be. I remember watching a few episodes of the anime some time ago, and man was this kid annoying there. He's a lot more enjoyable here and doesn't really come off as annoying but rather as somewhat grounded. I do like how
after the timeskip he becomes a badass in his own way, despite being a human and thus a lot weaker than Claymores.

Overall, I found this to be pretty good and would definitely recommend it to people.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Berserk 349

Damn that was a good chapter and it was a sharp juxtaposition between the people partying in the real world and the harrowing events going on inside Casca's mind. It was especially nice to actually see Guts finally opening up and talking about his feelings and thoughts on his journey with his comrades. Same for seeing Serpico finally open up and all while everyone was getting drunk.

Other random thoughts and notes:

- Seeing Isma getting drunk and then transforming and ruining her underwear was funny.
- Seeing Puck and Magnifico forced to act as servants for their coup was also very funny.
- Seems we now see how this works to fix Casca. They have to collect the pieces of her shattered doll form.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That Skull Knight quote reminded me that something still has to set Gutts on a collision course with Griffith. It might just be Casca. Maybe she wants revenge for their friends or maybe something darker happens...

Numb

The World or Her 1

A manga about easy decisions: Do you romance your childhood waifu and inadvertently make her destroy the world, or do you protect it by dating the mysterious cuter/lewder girl who warns you about your waifu's destructive capabilities? Should be straightforward, but I'm sure the MC will manage to fuck it up. Honestly, my expectations for him are about the same as for this manga generally, but I'll follow it anyway to see heroineB work her charm. Also this might be the most damage truck-kun has ever caused, albeit indirectly.

297788083510968320.png

bobohoro

Monster Vol 1-3 Perfect Edition

Series is still ace on a reread. Love all the sombre side character stories, where there is so much emotion conveyed without many words or even panels. Main story still has to really get going, but reading the Manga with the knowledege of the final goal in mind makes it all the more tense. And Lunge is such a fun character.

Beserk 349

This is gonna get so dark. Can't wait for the reactions of those two to the shit they are about to see.

Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa 167

My gut tells me this will turn tragic soon. And it will hit me right in the gut.
Or something.
I'm not ready regardless.

ElFly

Prison School

uuugh next week cannot arrive too soon

on the other hand, surely we will get some excuse, diversion or lie so Hana can save face momentarily

Zweizer

Banned
Prison School ch250

If it weren't for Hana Kiyoshi would be seriously screwed.

Hime-sama Tanuki no Koizanyou ch6

Well, he's got a good future as a parent at least.

Moee-chan wa Ki ni Shinai ch1 by TAKAYUKI

An unflappable girl with crazy hair, and a bunch of less crazy stuff happening all around her. Pretty amusing.

Fair Tail Ch534: He's done it, and I don't know how he's done it. But, he's done it. He's made me care about what happens to Lucy. Might just be getting Rave flashbacks though.
Also, Spoiler; Natsu's not dead! I know, who'd of guessed it??

Berserk Ch349: Them seeing his
their
happiness pains me. And, it makes me worry about how everything will be after they see what happened to Guts, Casca and the rest of the Band Of The Hawk.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Technically not cannibals because none of us are penguins.

rip wiseblade

I finally get the joke...

EDIT: The Strange Tales Of Oscar Zhan Ch1-2: I have no idea what this webcomic is about. But, I'm hooked - honestly it had me at the talking skeleton in a suit. And sometimes the art of it can just be so strange and wonderful. Even if it isn't the cleanest or most detailed. It just seems to have this simplistic, almost coarse charm to it.
v019.jpg

CrazyDude

I am glad Berserk if coming out on a consistent schedule. It's still moving slow for me, but it's better than waiting a year for one chapter, if that.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I am glad Berserk if coming out on a consistent schedule. It's still moving slow for me, but it's better than waiting a year for one chapter, if that.

Yeah its not a chapter every month all year long but it seems Miura is doing six on, six off in terms of releases. I'm fine with that. I'd rather breaks we can expect to end instead of ones that stretch on indefinitely.

Time does work differently in Elfhelm. For all we know we could get Miura's version of a time skip of sorts.

I think that's pretty much inevitable. It'll allow characters like Rickert (who we last saw going to train with those assassin guys) and possibly Isidoro and Schierke if they leave before Guts does to become far more powerful and useful in a fight

Apparently Gangsta is coming back from Hiatus. Wooo! shall give me just enough time to re-read the entire thing.

Also, did someone already mention Bleach is getting some novels? As Bleach is getting some novels. So yey?

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Prison School ch. 250

God, Hana is so cute this chapter.

God, Dickyoshi is such a dumb whiner. Enjoy the date, brah.

Berserk ch. 349

Hey! I remember Serpico. He used to, like, do stuff.

This really does feel like something awful's about to happen though.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Berserk ch. 349

It could just be setting the tone for the darkness that's to come in Casca's inner world, we know there's some really dark shit coming up.

I'm really hoping Gutts gets some kind of happiness out of this and Casca isn't irreversibly broken. I mean, Gutts still have to take on Griffith, but I'd rather they did it together.

It could just be setting the tone for the darkness that's to come in Casca's inner world, we know there's some really dark shit coming up.

I'm really hoping Gutts gets some kind of happiness out of this and Casca isn't irreversibly broken. I mean, Gutts still have to take on Griffith, but I'd rather they did it together.

Casca is fixed, but she goes back to griffith since his influence can't be removed so easily.

After what he did? That'd be the ultimate nutpunch.

This is Berserk, anything that can go wrong, will go wrong, and in the most horrible way possible

Odds are no only will Casca go back to griffith, but Guts new companions will also be brutally murdered in front of him before he finally gets his chance for revenge.

Gulz1992

This is Berserk, anything that can go wrong, will go wrong, and in the most horrible way possible

Odds are no only will Casca go back to griffith, but Guts new companions will also be brutally murdered in front of him before he finally gets his chance for revenge.

Berserk is not THAT grimdark. I think it's more likely that when Casca regains her sanity, she'll become suicidal from the trauma she suffered, which will activate the behelit Guts is carrying. I could see this being used as a way to kickstart the God Hand attacking Elfhelm.

The God Hand would most likely demand Farnese as a sacrifice due to how attached Casca is to her, but I can't imagine Miura would suddenly kill her off after all the development she's been given. So, most likely, Casca either refuses or the ritual is interrupted before she can make her decision.

Berserk is not THAT grimdark. I think it's more likely that when Casca regains her sanity, she'll become suicidal from the trauma she suffered, which will activate the behelit Guts is carrying. I could see this being used as a way to kickstart the God Hand attacking Elfhelm.

The God Hand would most likely demand Farnese as a sacrifice due to how attached Casca is to her, but I can't imagine Miura would suddenly kill her off after all the development she's been given. So, most likely, Casca either refuses or the ritual is interrupted before she can make her decision.

Actually farnese dying would make a lot of sense especially after the scene with serpico this chapter, he could go full on antagonist to guts if he thinks guts is the reason she died.

Fire force volume 3

Shinra is hot and badass as hell in a firefighter uniform

Shinra is hot and badass as hell in a military uniform

Shinra is hot and badass as hell.

I love Shinra.

Also Capt. Burns damn...

Berserk ch. 349

The new chapter was great, but man....pretty much the whole time I was reading it I got death flags. I know people have mentioned before that they think Elfhelm will be attacked soon, but this is the first time for me that I've felt like that will probably happen. Things seem too calm right now, and it feels as if something big is due to happen. I hope I'm wrong, because I'm kinda worried now! : (

It was really nice to finally see Serpico in the spotlight too. He's been pushed to the side for way too long! Overall I'm loving these recent chapters. I'm pretty sure we've got two more to come before another hiatus. Once chapter 351 is out the anime will be done, and volume 39 will be done too, so chances are Miura will go on a break then. We need to savour these chapters!

Casca is fixed, but she goes back to griffith since his influence can't be removed so easily.

This would just be dumb. It's not happening.

Top Bottom