• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Welcome to the ballroom volume 3

Start the music! My body wants to heat up! I have to dance!

GOD! This volume...was wayyyyyy to good!! The level of energy I could feel from Tatara and Mako-chan's dance was insane. The concept of frame and flower was not something I thought would be anything more then a concept, but man did the imagery makes this dance absolutely amazing! Gaju gettin recked like he deserve...Mako was too good for him.

Another convert!

Welcome to the ballroom volume 4

Man I know they were still beginner, but I sooo wanted them to win....which is why my heart squeezed hard when Mako-chan won Queen of the ballroom. That was a perfect conclusion to the competition! The emotions were high. I love how honest and forward Tatara is.

I am expecting the anime adaptation to go up to there if it's 1 cour.

Volume 5! I need it now!

Revo

Hayate no Gotoku! 568 (end)

Well hayate is finally over.
expected end is expected (but not liked)
whole wrap up has felt super rushed and lame to me. The romantic sendoffs have felt fairly bad to me.
At least I didn't expect anything good out of the end anyway, plot has always been w/e generally. Bluh.

Overall I liked hayate. When it wasn't trying to be serious (in general, some outliers like a-tan early stuff and ruka stuff) it was a whole bunch of fun and I enjoyed the characters and their interactions. I wouldn't recommend it if you're not ready for a lot, and i mean a lot of chapters of nothing important happening involving side characters that don't actually matter a lot of the time. Like, 30%+ of the backend of the manga would be that description. Also not if you want a lot of character growth. But it was fun for the most part and that's all that really matters, right?

Zweizer

Banned
Goblin Is Very Strong ch4

They're doing pretty well, all things considered. Plus, they're now officially friends! Between the killings that is.

EO6iVpw.png

There are worse way to go than a fluffy death.

Goblin Is Very Strong 4

Any friendship that immediately begins with murder is one to be treasured. Throw in the 'only kill every alternate day' clause and they're practically BFFs for life already. I'm curious about Mimit's views on the new-found amity, especially if she's the jealous type.

ollin

Ichigo 100% East Side Story

After more than a decade Ichigo 100% is back with a new main character. Can't say I'm surprised. Mizuki Kawashita hasn't had a hit since Ichigo. Now give me School Rumble sequel without Tenma and I can die happy.

Attack On Titan Ch93: Still not entirely sure what's going on, but then again that's probably due to the fact that I've kinda stopped paying attention. Not that the last few chapters haven't been informative. I'm just feeling a bit of narrative dissonance. Just me?

Attack On Titan Ch93: Still not entirely sure what's going on, but then again that's probably due to the fact that I've kinda stopped paying attention. Not that the last few chapters haven't been informative. I'm just feeling a bit of narrative dissonance. Just me?

Really not so sure what's confusing about this. The plot is incredibly simple to follow. We just had a 4 year time skip and are seeing the pov of the enemy i.e. the ones behind all the Titan attacks.

We just had a big war that proved Titans are quickly becoming useless. The enemy has become desperate as the rest of the world has left them behind.

They're about to launch a massive invasion of Paradis, the island were the walls are.

Really not so sure what's confusing about this. The plot is incredibly simple to follow. We just had a 4 year time skip and are seeing the pov of the enemy i.e. the ones behind all the Titan attacks.

We just had a big war that proved Titans are quickly becoming useless. The enemy has become desperate as the rest of the world has left them behind.

They're about to launch a massive invasion of Paradis, the island were the walls are.
but there isn't even a point in doing so other then to deceive the countries they are at war with.

It seems a science victory is need in CIV: Titan
As Titans are obsolete.

Goblin Is Very Strong 4

Well, I guess thats a start to being friends, only getting killed every other day.

Though getting teleported home after getting killed is sort of convenient I guess. Just as long as you don't mind the death part.

Weekly Shonen Jump # 23

The Promised Neverland (Cover/Lead color page)
1. My Hero Academia
2. One Piece
Boruto (Color)
3. Kimetsu no Yaiba
4. Black Clover
5. Spring Weapon
Dr Stone (Color)
6. Soma
7. Haikyuu
Samon (Color)
Robot X Laserbeam
9. Yuuna
10.We Never Learn
11. Hinomaru Zumou
12. Saiki
13. Hungry Marie
14. Gintama
15. Poro
16. U19
Isobe

Issue 24
Lead Color: Kimetsu no Yaiba *1 Year anniversary*(includes Popularity Poll)
Colors: Neverland, Robot x Laserbeam, Spring Weapon (includes Bangaihen)

Ascheroth

MHA and Kimetsu no Yaiba being in the top 3 pleases me greaty.
But don't you dare cancel Hungry Marie, jump. Don't you dare!

U19 and Poro seem to be goners.
Spring weapon doing well now, huh.

And Neverland will have a 2nd CP next week? Hell yeah.

I feel like PN is gonna break the record for most cp in the first 50 chapters of a jump series it seems to get them once even 3-4 chapters.

Madoka Magica - Magia Record Reports p13-15

LAWvtMs.png

Senpai NTR is brutal. Cheer up Madoka, you've still got pre-order Homu following you around like a lovesick puppy. And eventually she'll evolve into something useful.

I feel like PN is gonna break the record for most cp in the first 50 chapters of a jump series it seems to get them once even 3-4 chapters.

Can you really blame them? They're gorgeous!

Also, in reference to my AOT post - I feel I worded my thoughts badly. But, what I was trying to say, is that while I understand each chapter and what's going on, I can't quite pin down why it's happening - in relation to the narrative. Hence why I mentioned the narrative dissonance I was feeling. As we've gone from the highly structured and objective driven goals of one group to the goals and mentality of another group. And, while this in itself isn't anything outlandish, I just feel the transition between the two has been handled badly, leaving me feeling lost and unsympathetic to this new arc (If it is an arc) we're entering. As for me, this transition felt like end-game, last chapter sort of material... but... I don't know how anything can be resolved in a small, limited run of chapters, thus making this mood/theme shift seem out of place. Especially if it continues for the ten, twenty, thirty chapters needed to bring it all to a close - effectively.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro 21
I will never understand Japan fascination for Kanchou. I mean, jamming finger up somebody ass sound reallly dangerous

Taruranto

Titan #93

OK, this was a bit better, but I'm still not really into the manga anymore. I think the monthly schedule doesn't help, I'm kinda tired of it nowadays.

It was good to see old faces, at least.

Has it really had more than BLack Clover or World Trigger had in the same period?

WT
Chp 1 (No. 11)
Chp 2 (No. 12)
Chp 9 (No. 19)
Chp 19 (No. 30)
Chp 23 (No. 34)
Chp 28 (No. 41)
Chp 36 (No. 48)
Chp 41 (No. 1 ) (2014)
Chp 47 (No. 10) (2014)
Chp 51 (No. 15) (2014) + cover of Jump
Chp 57 (No. 21) (2014)
Chp 62 (No. 27) (2014) (Anime Announced)

bobohoro

Hayate No Gotoku END

Well, that's something I guess.
I'm not even mad.
Well...
Mostly.

Manga was fun most of the time with a nice cast of characters, but it certainly fell apart in the end. Can't really recommend starting it at this point if you don't just want to waste quite a lot of time on nothing special.

Seiniyta

MHA and Kimetsu no Yaiba being in the top 3 pleases me greaty.
But don't you dare cancel Hungry Marie, jump. Don't you dare!

U19 and Poro seem to be goners.
Spring weapon doing well now, huh.

And Neverland will have a 2nd CP next week? Hell yeah.

Yeah, really odd that MHA's anime is doing very poorly relativily to the manga success so far. I wonder what's up.

Yeah, really odd that MHA's anime is doing very poorly relativily to the manga success so far. I wonder what's up.

Anime is going at a very slow pace and turned off non fans with how whiny deku is since his growth from that won't happen till midway through season 2

Zweizer

Banned
Keijo ch145-146

Such a needy ass. Glad that this hurdle has been overcome.

There's quite an amount of competitors with intriguing designs for this finale, and I hope they'll be able to show off their techniques to the fullest.

Ascheroth

Honestly, the anime hasn't yet reached the point where the manga went from 'this is cool and has potential' to 'yooo, this is awesome'. Doesn't help that the first season had its fair share of issues.

Toppu GP volume 1

I hate watching things racing in really life, but here I am reading a manga about bike racing and enjoying it. The art is really nice and Toppu and Myne are a really fun pair! Although based on thise first few pages...I have a general idea on what might happen :(

Berserk My manga reading time has become slim as of late so I've been missing updates but boy oh boy I am glad I didn't miss this. I've got to mirror everyone's sentiments that this is nice, tough it feels like a bit of dark foreshadowing. Side Note: This is going to be a long journey through the wastelands. It's also important to note they seem to have been doing this the entire time (As is why Casca is already a bit built) and they haven't gotten very far. BUT it does mean that one day, in theory, Casca was going to get better by herself and that makes me feel all sorts of good about the world. Words I did not think I would say about Berserk....

I really don't think anyone got any pieces of Casca before Farnese and Schierke did. That wouldn't make much sense.

How they found her is simply how Casca perceives herself, as a broken, empty shell.

mdubs

Banned
Welcome to the ballroom volume 4

Man I know they were still beginner, but I sooo wanted them to win....which is why my heart squeezed hard when Mako-chan won Queen of the ballroom. That was a perfect conclusion to the competition! The emotions were high. I love how honest and forward Tatara is.

I am expecting the anime adaptation to go up to there if it's 1 cour.

Volume 5! I need it now!

Oh man, Vol. 5 is where it starts getting REAL

I NEED the anime to be two cour (and I trust Production IG will do it hopefully)

Chase17

WSJ

We Never Learn 7-8
This is still just alright I'm surprised that there is supposed to be another girl added in a couple chapters. It was funny that she ran out of time after all that.

Robot x Laserbeam 6
This has been improving. I thought for a second we were going to get a generation of miracles introduction there lol. The panel showing that Robo has been struggling through that whole conversation was funny/then Yozan filling all of the divots. Took him longer than expected to realize about the slope though. Glad he finally might be interested in golf now.

Dr. Stone 8
The cooking cag was funny. Glad plan A isn't to go for the kill. Also looks like we will meet other survivors pretty soon which is nice.

My favorite part of the recent Attack on Titan chapters is the revelation that the world's map is just the continents but they are flipped upside down, like nobody would notice.

Its like how the Hunter x Hunter world map is just the continents smashed around in random places.

Kieli

Anime is going at a very slow pace and turned off non fans with how whiny deku is since his growth from that won't happen till midway through season 2

I never felt Deku was whiny in the manga. A scaredy-cat and cry-baby, sure, but he is GAR when he needs to be for his nakama and for JUSTASU.

Viz Shonen Jump 5/1/17

We Never Learn

This is basically shitty romcom assassination classroom but without assassinations or a cool teacher like koro-sensei to hold it all together. Its just okay as harem shit.

Robot x Laserbeam

Even with the fact robo is struggling the fact he quickly figured out a solution doesn't give me much hope for this series providing any kind of real drama.

Dr Stone

Still hoping yuzuriha will find her niche on the team besides for being the girl. The fact taiju has now delayed his confession till after the restore humanity made me sigh. Can't we just have a couple be part of a shonen main cast ala shaman king?

Seishun Kinema 2
C-wTjibXoAAM72w.jpg:large

Yes Todo and Yamamotocchi have finally leveled up their friendship and even starting to confront some of their deep feelings, the kiss was such a pleasant and awesome development, though I hated Todo's lines afterwards. I wish theyd stop avoiding it a bit, its more than simple lessons considering all the close contact their doing, the sucking nipples, touching etc.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
ReLife 177
I don't care about Ohga and Kariu, just go back to Kazu, goddamit

The initial Ohga/Kariu stuff was cute, but these extra made-up problems have been draining as fuck to read.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Hajimete no Gal - up to Ch. 29

This is one of those series that I'll read for whatever reason and then feel stupid for reading because its obviously pandering nonsense.

So the premise is that BIG LOSER GUY asks the hottest girl in school (a "gyaru," e.g. a fashionable/trendy girl) and she says yes, because despite her looks, she is actually a shy perfect waifu. (seriously)

Basically every chapter, a series of other BIG LOSER GUYS start bitching about Main Loser Guy's incredible luck with women by constantly calling out the tropes and how its just like a manga (they literally ask if his father is a mafia boss at one point). The problem with these call-outs is that they piss you off because the idea of calling out a trope in a work is usually to either subvert it or criticize it, not to slavishly adhere to it. But that's what it does - MC is an unattractive loser and constantly does infuriating shit, but for whatever reason, it makes his huge harem of hot, well-endowed girls cling to him even harder.

Summary: there's no goddamn reason to read this other than main girl. And even then, this dumb shit has an anime so you could just watch that whenever it comes out.

So Spring Weapon No. 1 has pulled off a Sket Dance level turnaround ranking wise (W1=Last, W2=Last, W3=2nd Last, W4=2nd Last, W5=2nd Last, W6=2nd Last, W7=3rd Last, W8=9/16 and from there Sket Dance started to stabilize as a random up and down ranked manga), but that won't save it if it's volumes keep selling like utter shit. The mangaka better pray that Vol.3 actually makes the top 50 list.

So Spring Weapon No. 1 has pulled off a Sket Dance level turnaround ranking wise (W1=Last, W2=Last, W3=2nd Last, W4=2nd Last, W5=2nd Last, W6=2nd Last, W7=3rd Last, W8=9/16 and from there Sket Dance started to stabilize as a random up and down ranked manga), but that won't save it if it's volumes keep selling like utter shit. The mangaka better pray that Vol.3 actually makes the top 50 list.

It has the benefit of so many direct to dumpster series being added to the magazine recently. Maybe they cancel SW in favor of HM or WNL in the "we'll give you a bit longer to see if things grow" category.

Top Bottom