• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

wait viz has a digital app. is it like CMX? I used buy the 99 cents issues last year, but I never bought actual volumes so no idea how it works.

also yea the girls volleyball team is overshadowed a lot. It is cool to have the girl side of things, but we know little about them.

If you use the shonen jump app you can choose between wsj issues and manga volumes you have purchased under the my manga tab.

Horimiya 78

Yeah, I think at this point his friends wouldn't care. Miyamura should just show them.

jitsu wa watashi wa 169

And there it is.

Zweizer

Banned
Anyone get more recommendations for mangas that are similar? I don't mind if it's smut, as long as it's enjoyable.

You can try Kyou Kara Ore Wa, or as Uso mentioned Dungeon Meshi and Hinamatsuri, but they're even less smutty, or you can go the opposite direction and read Keijo, Tsugumomo and Murcielago if you'd prefer something more risque.

Exactly. It's awful.
I kept the collection somewhat small until I moved to this place a year ago. I have to move, though, or else I have to pay a ton of fees to stay. Figure I use this as an opportunity to move to my favorite area. I think it could make life 10x better potentially.

Rent hike? Sounds rough. Hopefully you manage to settle down there then

redlemon

I love my physical books/manga, but the more I use viz's digital app for reading shonen jump the more I really like the idea of my entire collection being quick and accessible anywhere I go.

I buy almost everything digitally now. The convenience means I'm far more likely to re-read books too.

Zweizer

Banned
One Piece ch865

Everything going to plan despite a few hiccups. Didn't expect a flashback now of all times though. This plus yet another break next week is gonna make the wait tortuous.

Jitsu wa Watashi wa ch169

The calm before the storm.

Hoshino, Me o Tsubutte. ch17

Hmm, it doesn't feel like much of a resolution, so I hope they'll get more screentime. The author managed to handle it surprisingly well.

My Hero Academia ch137

I feel Mirio is going to croak this arc, or at least be crippled. He'd grow too big of a threat to Deku' spotlight otherwise.

spiritfox

Jitsu wa Watashi wa ch169

Everything will be all right, right?

Right?

HI Score Girl 41

wlaGXi5.jpg

Six Half Ch1-26: An interesting little Shoujo manga that takes place after a girl has an accident, losing her memory in the process. tl:dr
She was a very promiscuous teen, happily stealing and sleeping with other girls boyfriends, now she hates that 'past' self, trying to actually become 'someone'. Also, she seems to now - and previously as well - have feelings for her brother because of course. I'll let you guys guess what the over revelation is in this one.

It doesn't really do anything new or outstanding but it does hit all those notes well, keeping its stride. All the characters feel like they have decent/realistic motives. And, in all honesty, I'm a sucker for that 'standard' Shoujo art style. In addition, while it is a romance manga, it doesn't focus too all in on that and makes other aspects of her life be the focus for the most part, with the romance being a more of a subtle note that permeates throughout the story so far.

Dr. Stone 10

What an awesome dad.

And sure, like they're gonna kill the lead/main reason to read this in chapter 10. He will be okay.

Redditor speculated
the third smoke signal might end up being a medic
. And Senkuu really is one of the best MCs in recent shounen memory IMO, and I truly love the conflict

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Shokugeki no Soma

So the Elite 10 are just jobbers now.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I thought it was a particularly terrible end to the battle. Nene lost because she forgot to check the quality of her ingredients before starting. That doesn't make Soma look smart, it makes Nene look totally fucking incompetent.

Zweizer

Banned
Tsugumomo ch91.1

She's certainly eager to defile herself.

Hi Score Girl ch41

Yeah, they can be mysterious, though Haruo's obliviousness is even more of a mystery. Poor Hidaka.

Hoshino, Me o Tsubutte. ch18-19

Glad that he's still sticking around. Hoshino's got quite the competition now, with the gyaru girl making a comeback and apparently Matsutaka as well.

Shokugeki no Soma ch214

Expected result. He wasn't about to lose at this point.

Ascheroth

I thought it was a particularly terrible end to the battle. Nene lost because she forgot to check the quality of her ingredients before starting. That doesn't make Soma look smart, it makes Nene look totally fucking incompetent.
Yeah, that solution was weak. I feel like it was trying to make Soma win while not discrediting the Elite 10 too much (SHE IS REALLY GOOD BUT THE WEATHER WAS BAD) but it just made her look worse, lol.
I don't know what even the point of this team battle setup is, if Soma just wins on his own. Would have been much better and more believeable if Ishiki had helped him out or something.

---
I'm not really feeling Dr. Stone. It's kind of whatever.

Hungry Marie better not die!

Yeah, that solution was weak. I feel like it was trying to make Soma win while not discrediting the Elite 10 too much (SHE IS REALLY GOOD BUT THE WEATHER WAS BAD) but it just made her look worse, lol.
I don't know what even the point of this team battle setup is, if Soma just wins on his own. Would have been much better and more believeable if Ishiki had helped him out or something.

---
I'm not really feeling Dr. Stone. It's kind of whatever.

Hungry Marie better not die!

HM won't be getting a Volume release until July (June release for WNL, U19 and Poro), so I can see them just axing Poro and U19 while giving HM volume sales and a little extra time to save it's own neck.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I thought the resolution was okay. Better then some bullshit about how Soma's dish communicates with the kokoro. It's totally plausible that Nene would slip up here, because she probably trained in temperature controlled conditions her entire life. Contrast that with a diner place like Yukihara's, which is open all year and has to handle all kinds of weather and patrons coming in from that weather. It's something Nene never had to consider because being a premier soba chef, people patronize her family's cuisine specifically to consume the best dish they have to offer in conditions that are always ideal.

I imagine they'll make better use of the team stuff in latter matches, starting with arguably the 3 strongest chefs on team resistance didn't really provide an opportunity to help each other. I imagine when its Erina with Aldini and Tadokoro she'll help them out a lot more.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
One Piece ch. 865

Oda's flashbacks are usually pretty great and I'm excited to see Elbaf, but I don't really care for placing Big Mom's backstory right in the middle of this fight. Could have done it elsewhere in this arc. Well whatever.

Dr. Stone ch. 10

What a cool dad. Art in this chapter looked pretty good too. Ain't nobody buying that cliffhanger doe.

Haikyu ~72

The series is very well done, but so far it does seem to follow a very similar plot progression to eyeshield 21. Replace christmas bowl with orange court and even the same "lose in the fall tournament but we have one last chance in the spring" and even iirc the team that beat the devil bats then got beat by another team later in the tournament. I realize it's more just standard structure for shonen sports series so I'm not really complaining more just a thought I've had while reading.

Deadly

Sokugeki no Soma
I'm surprised they played this card early on. Creativity/adatation vs. tradition is basically the entire basis of this arc.

One Piece
Typical Oda inserting a flashback at such a time. At least we get more background on Big Mom

MHA
Shits about to go down

Zweizer

Banned
Grand Blue ch35

Boy, things keep getting more complicated for them. Poor Aina. Iori is just too popular.

One Punch-Man ch74.2

Suiryu got taken down quite a few notches. Saitama is here at last at least.

Okusan ch45

Okusan's powers of persuation are fearsome indeed. At least she didn't trigger her hidden yandere side.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Wait, flashback means death right? So Big Mom is actually going to die in this arc?

Or maybe Big Mom for nakama.

Black Clover had an anime? Since when?

EDIT: I'm more impressed that I saw no advertising for this. Unless I was especially skilled and managed to miss it all.

If you read the manga it was advertised in the jump pages

So I was that skilled.

Doesn't it start this fall?

Possibly. I mean I didn't exactly watch it on an official site. As I said, I was more impressed I'd managed to miss all advertising for it.
It's pretty good BTW

He must be referring to the OVA.

Highly likely. Either way, I still enjoyed it. Even if the art of the Anime (OVA?) lost a lot of the rugged charm of the manga.

Yeah, but I guess they had to think of some reason for Soma to win. If he loses in this tournament, it wont be at the beginning. Though I guess Nene really wasn't that important of a character, so there's that.

Yeah, but I guess they had to think of some reason for Soma to win. If he loses in this tournament, it wont be at the beginning. Though I guess Nene really wasn't that important of a character, so there's that.

I think the issue is most of the antagonistic council of 10 aren't that important. Of the major members of the council of 10 who've been well established up till now Erina, Kuga, and Isshiki are on team resistance (along with Touske who wasn't established at all), Eizan already lost to Soma, and Hayama lost and was expelled. The only members left who are well established and a legit threat are Tsukasa and Rindou the latter of which is such a wild card central can't really rely on her. That leaves us with Momo and Saito who like Nene have never really been established until this battle right now. Finally you have the two newest members one of which is such a jobber he's never even had his name or face shown.

I think the issue is most of the antagonistic council of 10 aren't that important. Of the major members of the council of 10 who've been well established up till now Erina, Kuga, and Isshiki are on team resistance (along with Touske who wasn't established at all), Eizan already lost to Soma, and Hayama lost and was expelled. The only members left who are well established and a legit threat are Tsukasa and Rindou the latter of which is such a wild card central can't really rely on her. That leaves us with Momo and Saito who like Nene have never really been established until this battle right now. Finally you have the two newest members one of which is such a jobber he's never even had his name or face shown.

I mean, I wouldn't be too surprised if this point if the former third seat lost to the other new council member, given we haven't see their fight at all

PK Gaming

Shokugeki no Soma

I love the "I worked at a diner and have actual experience, sit the fuck down" aspect of Soma's character. Sets him apart from your dime a dozen, garbage shonen protag who wins because of friendship/innate potential.

mdubs

Banned
I mean, I wouldn't be too surprised if this point if the former third seat lost to the other new council member, given we haven't see their fight at all
I think they need to save him because someone needs to put over Rindo, and he, Kuga, and Isshiki are easy choices to do that

Maitake Compilation 85

mrtvuGi.png

Lewd. But actions like that are necessary, otherwise how do you expect to have a child together? I had no idea Homura's Rebellion trauma was still so severe, though in fairness that ramen did look particularly delicious.

TDMlTIK.png

Just needs a ~ and it's Zweizer's life motto.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Innocent Rouge vol. 5

These half year waits for volumes now really suck.

Anyway, part of volume five deals with the two Sansons. There's a morbidly cute bit near the end where Charles-Henri invites Marie-Joseph over, she keeps her distance, he asks for her advice on murdering someone, and she does an instant 180, proudly saying what a good man big brother's turned into. The other part of this volume is about the affair of the diamond necklace, which I was more into. The trial itself has a cool setup, faux cameras with actors recreating scenes. Wish that stretched out across more of the volume, but still, it's fun. I'm also amused at how much of a clown Sakamoto's version of Jeanne de la Motte has become, which we've seen before, but he doubles down on that this volume with even more of her ridiculous expressions and dumb cartoon villainry. There's also this sex scene involving Jeanne, which, well, holy shit lol.

So I was that skilled.

Possibly. I mean I didn't exactly watch it on an official site. As I said, I was more impressed I'd managed to miss all advertising for it.
It's pretty good BTW

Highly likely. Either way, I still enjoyed it. Even if the art of the Anime (OVA?) lost a lot of the rugged charm of the manga.

It was advertised and showed at the Jump events in Fall 2016. DVD was bundled with the newest volume. PVs for it were showed in Aug 2016.

Top Bottom