• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zekes!

Thinking about copping some penny loafers. I finally got my Red Wing Iron Rangers, and I finally realized I don't really have any decent non-sneaker shoes. Trying to avoid boat shoes but finding decent loafers seems to be a pain, especially when I don't have a lot of money to blow on 'em.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Anywhere from 60-90 I believe. They also have some real nice casual dress pants.

Also, some new shirts to judge

IzJ2O.jpg

With all the money they have they should hire me to dress them.

Not sure where else to ask this but any of you guys know a good electric body groomer that gets a close? They don't call me Teen Wolf for nothing. I'll go get it waxed eventually but my body isn't impressive enough for it to be worth it right now.

Edit* Got the Norelco Bodygroomer and it seems to work alright, can't complain.

lupin23rd

Looking at getting a jacket custom made and so today was the first time I had the opportunity to look through books of fabric swatches. Saw a very nice cotton / cashmere blended corduroy, with which the cost to make one pair of pants was $1200. Goddamn.

Gaf, my current smart/casual summer shoes are a mess and in need of an upgrade. I'm thinking Sperry, Sebago or Timberland. Open to different colours and options other than these here

image1xl.jpg
image1xl.jpg
image1xl.jpg
image1xl.jpg

eyLnKl.jpg

Boken

Banned
I think I do want the Red Wing Iron Rangers. They're 220$ (shipping) for me though, still worth it?

Should I order half a size down? Would really not be happy if I had to return etc...

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I think I do want the Red Wing Iron Rangers. They're 220$ (shipping) for me though, still worth it?

Should I order half a size down? Would really not be happy if I had to return etc...
Returns from them are totally free, some people ordered in a variety of sizes and will just return the ones that don't fit. I ordered a full size down, as that's how most boots seem to fit on me. I ordered for around $170, this price you're talking about is a little bit more. The boots are quality , but the higher price means more personal discretion should be involved.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Damn, I have washed my hair twice over the weekend, and I STILL can't get murray's pomade out of my hair!

I feel so damn bad for Don Draper. Lol
Quality is quality, but this stuff is difficult to clean out.

lenovox1

Damn, I have washed my hair twice over the weekend, and I STILL can't get murray's pomade out of my hair!

Murray's website recommends working in dishwashing liquid (the product is a wax, so that makes sense) into dry hair. Their instructions basically amount to working in the dishwashing liquid, adding a little water to foam, then as the foam dissipates, you add more dishwashing liquid. Do that a few times, then rinse.

Jay Sosa

Didn't know where else to ask this (fitness thread maybe?)

Want to buy me some comfortable shoes just for walking around and narrowed it down to these two:

314FCvF1x8L.jpg

31SQ4FseZtL._SY395_.jpg

I know they look similar, but one of them is canvas, the other leather/textile.

Which is more comfortable to wear and more breathable?

Like I said: I don't plan to work out in this shoes, just walk around.

Didn't know where else to ask this (fitness thread maybe?)

Want to buy me some comfortable shoes just for walking around and narrowed it down to these two:

314FCvF1x8L.jpg

31SQ4FseZtL._SY395_.jpg

I know they look similar, but one of them is canvas, the other leather/textile.

Which is more comfortable to wear and more breathable?

Like I said: I don't plan to work out in this shoes, just walk around.

Out of curiosity how did you narrow it down to those two?

lenovox1

Leather will be more durable, looks better in person, and excels on wooden floors (not an issue for you due to the rubber soles). Canvas should be a bit more comfortable (but I know nothing about those sneakers), and you can throw it into the washing machine.

Honestly, in a walking sneaker like that, I don't think leather vs. canvas matters on anything but a personal level. They're both plenty flexible enough for your needs.

Jay Sosa

Leather will be more durable, looks better in person, and excels on wooden floors (not an issue for you due to the rubber soles). Canvas should be a bit more comfortable (but I know nothing about those sneakers), and you can throw it into the washing machine.

Honestly, in a walking sneaker like that, I don't think leather vs. canvas matters on anything but a personal level. They're both plenty flexible enough for your needs.

Cool, think I'll go with the canvas one. Thanks!

Jay Sosa

90 degrees, 61% humidity. fuck, i have to wear shorts.

Oh no, you poor kid!*

But honestly I don't get that 'men don't wear shorts' shit. I just recently read an article that said men should rather wear chinos or cotton pants in summer and hope they don't sweat..WTF?

Cargo shorts and a plain t is a solid look :D

*edit: over-read that 61 humidity part, that actually IS terrible.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
You poor non-shorts people ;__;

As a petite gay with damn good legs, it's actually illegal for me to wear pants in the summer. Thank goodness for today's slim and trim shawtie shorts.

Salazar

I wear some dark blue Nike football shorts when I do. Makes sense to just go for maximum comfort if I'm opting out of pants.

Why would anyone subject their hair/scalp to this? There are wayyy better options out there.

overcast

How do you guys feel about colored pants? Denim material ones look good to me. Something reddish, probably maroon?

I wear jeans all the time, and I would like a change of pace. My GF and I tried on a few shorts while shopping the other day. I don't know guys, I'm 6'3 176. Not sure I can rock them. My legs are skinny and long.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Why would anyone subject their hair/scalp to this? There are wayyy better options out there.

I have some stuff called "Deluxe" coming in the mail.

There is a reason I prefer this stuff over everything else. My hair is straight, but incredibly thick. No product makes it look the way I like, except for these original pomades. I don't have a super greased look or anything, I use a very small amount, but that goes such a long way for 2 bucks.

bob page

I'm in the same boat- 6'0 and 150lbs. My upper half is toned but my legs are so lanky. What's a good way to work them out without a gym?

But yeah, I wear chino shorts anyway. Fuck it.

bob page

Also, what does one wear dark green pants with? I picked up a pair from Uniqlo this week for $13 but have no idea what to do with them.

Angry Fork

Don't know much about clothes but I'm trying to do something new than just the constant boots/dark clothes I currently wear, want to improve myself and clothes is one aspect I should work on. I don't know what's 'in' or socially acceptable. Should I just go with what I think looks alright? (I know this is obvious but if someone liked wearing huge yellow raincoats they can't expect to go up to people they don't know and start conversations without it being awkward, so there has to be some level of conformity in day to day life).

I usually wear some dark t-shirt, basketball shorts and black timberland boots, which I'm getting tired of and feel it's unattractive. Thinking of going brighter and changing a bit.

How are these for example? It's all plain but I like cheap and plain as long as it's different than what I've been wearing but not too 'wow' in your face with lots of colors. I don't like designs or lettering or anything like that on clothes or shoes just plain colors. I wish I could get these grey shoes with laces or something though I don't really like slip-on.

2cddc9f7-e471-4159-bf23-68a69be80d34.jpg

zuwJc.png

L3SjN.png

Not necessarily in that combination but it's different than what I usually wear which is something like:

4247878_f520.jpg

pTBL1-7888054v275.jpg

845843424_260.jpg

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Where do you guys get work pants (khakis, black/charcoal pants) without spending a ton? I have 2 pair of Dockers now but since losing weight they don't fit right, look too long, and look very baggy in the leg.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
J Crew sale? Asos? H&M?

I'll take a look. I'm wondering what I can find locally. I'll be heading to Des Moines to the mall this weekend.

My brother has a lot of button ups from Express. They are slim fit and fit exactly like I wanted so I need to pick some up.

EDIT: Ouch at $90 pants (and up) at J Crew, I spent $40 a piece on the Dockers. :p

I'll take a look. I'm wondering what I can find locally. I'll be heading to Des Moines to the mall this weekend.

My brother has a lot of button ups from Express. They are slim fit and fit exactly like I wanted so I need to pick some up.

EDIT: Ouch at $90 pants (and up) at J Crew, I spent $40 a piece on the Dockers. :p
Yea I would wait for a good sale / clearance before touching j crew. I bought my alpha khakis for 45 and that felt just right.

Antagon

Don't know much about clothes but I'm trying to do something new than just the constant boots/dark clothes I currently wear, want to improve myself and clothes is one aspect I should work on. I don't know what's 'in' or socially acceptable. Should I just go with what I think looks alright? (I know this is obvious but if someone liked wearing huge yellow raincoats they can't expect to go up to people they don't know and start conversations without it being awkward, so there has to be some level of conformity in day to day life).

I usually wear some dark t-shirt, basketball shorts and black timberland boots, which I'm getting tired of and feel it's unattractive. Thinking of going brighter and changing a bit.

How are these for example? It's all plain but I like cheap and plain as long as it's different than what I've been wearing but not too 'wow' in your face with lots of colors. I don't like designs or lettering or anything like that on clothes or shoes just plain colors. I wish I could get these grey shoes with laces or something though I don't really like slip-on.

2cddc9f7-e471-4159-bf23-68a69be80d34.jpg

zuwJc.png

L3SjN.png

Not necessarily in that combination but it's different than what I usually wear which is something like:

4247878_f520.jpg

pTBL1-7888054v275.jpg

845843424_260.jpg

The hoody and v neck are allright, but alltogether it gets a bit boring. Not a fan of those shorts at all, they seem to have a rather bad fit. The shoes are a bit too plain as well.

Going for basics is great, but the fit is very important. Also, try to put at least a bit of color in it, maybe even just through accessories.

Alucrid

Banned
You poor non-shorts people ;__;

As a petite gay with damn good legs, it's actually illegal for me to wear pants in the summer. Thank goodness for today's slim and trim shawtie shorts.

I hide my legs for the good of all lest they induce the primal urges of man and woman alike.

Does anyone know of any hoodies that have oversized hoods? I have an older Volcom hoodie with an oversized hood that is comfortable for lazy situations, but I havent been able to find any other hoodie with a similar hood.

Alucrid

Banned

you should get non-pleated shorts

and change the avatar

Enron

Banned
Wait, what? 90 bucks for JCrew chinos? On what planet? 69.50 on the website for the Essential Chinos. I have like 8 pairs of these in the classic fit and they rock.

Also - ain't nothing wrong with plain-front chino shorts. Or seersucker!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom