• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
The Baryne's near me has a 40% off sale this weekend.

Off to buy Surf NYC shirts.

Also, I just got a new pair of Nudies. The Slimm Grimms I think they are called. They are a bit skinnier than my last pair (Slimm Jimms maybe?) but not their skinniest. I like the look of them, but the denim is pretty spandexie.

Alucrid

Banned
V0NtFl.jpg
27zWRl.jpg

was going to return and size up one but they were out of stock. oh well. should stretch out

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
My friend bought a pair of Bonobos chinos, but they were too big for him so he gave them to me. They fit nicely around my waist, however, they're bootcut so the legs look very flared. Would this be something a tailor could fix?

Red

I think this is my first post in this thread. I've never been knowledgeable on fashion so hopefully someone can help.

My fiancee bought me a pair of long shorts recently. They look like capris, and cover my whole knee. I think they look silly, but she says they look fine. Anyone seen guys wearing long shorts like that?

I think this is my first post in this thread. I've never been knowledgeable on fashion so hopefully someone can help.

My fiancee bought me a pair of long shorts recently. They look like capris, and cover my whole knee. I think they look silly, but she says they look fine. Anyone seen guys wearing long shorts like that?

Depends on the guy, but I don't know man, I always go at or above the knee and keep it tight. No cargo shorts pockets.

Don't wanna go around looking like this guy

82675841.jpg

If they look like capris you could probably find something better.

Red

Depends on the guy, but I don't know man, I always go at or above the knee and keep it tight. No cargo shorts pockets.

Don't wanna go around looking like this guy

82675841.jpg

Yeah, that's like exactly how they look, except they're white.

Pretty sure they're getting returned.

Alucrid

Banned

A lot of asian kids at college.

That said I think that they can look good. I like it when they're tapered a bit and fit like this

Furio53

the guys in the 3 pieces. what are they using in their hair? I'm pretty lucky to have hair like that, but I'm not sure what kind of products to use, as I've been keeping it short for a while.

Futureman

Would I: SNIP

look good in:

SNIP

It's the hair I'm asking about. I'm tired of the same ol' hairstyle I've had for years.

OK.... well I'm the last guy who should give fashion advice, but...

the 2nd cut, to me, is like the most basic, generic hair cut. It looks like that guy went to Supercuts and just said, "Cut it short, nothing fancy." You seem very image focused (wearing a bow tie, neatly combed hair)... it seems odd to me that it's THAT cut you are interested in and scared about. Haha.

Secondly, your hair is pretty short already. Why not just get it cut like that, and if you don't like it that much, it will grow back to normal within 2 months?

Futureman

as for me...

might be going the way of my avatar soon (bic my head).

is the advice basically workout (I'm not overweight... I'm about the right weight, but a little bit scrawny... 6'1", ~185lbs)?

what about clothing that goes well with a bald dome?

as for me...

might be going the way of my avatar soon (bic my head).

is the advice basically workout (I'm not overweight... I'm about the right weight, but a little bit scrawny... 6'1", ~185lbs)?

what about clothing that goes well with a bald dome?

Hard to see and tell without a photo of you...

Haybro

Headed to a wedding tomorrow, and I'm looking for some quick opinions on whether my belt and shoes match the pants? I've gotten opinions from two friends and one says it doesn't match and the other says it's fine.

Should I just go with black shoes and belt?

lenovox1

quick and dirty pic at work right now......

0.jpg

*note: if you looked at my right hand, I get to punch you in the shoulder*

Your body type's fine. Your chief issue is that your clothes don't fit.

If you're thin, you should look for slim fit jeans that will taper a bit, or straight legged jeans to go with those sneakers. It looks like your wearing a relaxed cut, and you could fit two of you in those things. Your polo is simply a size too large.

The look posted by MiDNiGHTS might be good for you. You can really get away with tons of brighter, louder colors because of your skin tone and size.

If you're thin, you should look for slim fit jeans that will taper a bit, or straight legged jeans to go with those sneakers. It looks like your wearing a relaxed cut, and you could fit two of you in those things. Your polo is simply a size too large.

There needs to be a diagram of how clothes should fit in every store.

"Ohhh... Honey, apparently my shoulder seam shouldn't be at my elbow. Boy is my face red!"

quick and dirty pic at work right now......

0.jpg

*note: if you looked at my right hand, I get to punch you in the shoulder*

As has been mentioned, buy some slim jeans.

Headed to a wedding tomorrow, and I'm looking for some quick opinions on whether my belt and shoes match the pants? I've gotten opinions from two friends and one says it doesn't match and the other says it's fine.

Should I just go with black shoes and belt?

Are the black shoes not square? If so go with them regardless.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I have a new job where I'll be traveling a lot and working with a variety of clients each month. For conferences and the occasional dinner - and because I'm now single, the occasional date - I'd like to get myself a really nice watch.

I've gone through a few Fossil watches and a couple G-Shocks in my life; and I currently have a fairly nice Pulsar that needs a new battery. Those have been wonderful everyday watches - ones that I can wear everywhere, everyday, in the shower, while working on my car, etc. But I want to invest in a nice timepiece for special occasions.

I've always loved the looks of the Tag Heuers, but the good ones are always $4-$5K. And I don't want to get anything just for the name. But I was looking yesterday, and noticed a new one that I hadn't seen before that I absolutely LOVE:

movadobaby_2208_2126478459

It's striking, a good size, professional looking, nice looking, dressy enough for a suit but casual enough for dinner. It looks like the perfect "PlaySkool My First Fancy-Schmany Watch" as it's suitable for everything I can think I'd wear it for. And I *love* the red.

Seems to retail for $1K-1.5K. A whole heck of a lot of money; for sure. But it's do-able if I save for several months and look again maybe this fall/early winter.

Thing is, I've never invested even 1/5th into anything like this before, outside of jewelery for the GF. I have no idea what I should look into save for reviews and making sure to buy from an authorized retailer. Any tips?

lenovox1

I wish more places had tall sizes. 6'3 175 lbs. I basically require a medium tall or else it just looks funny

Most catalog models are at that height and weight and wear mediums. You should get some about idea about where an item of clothing hits your body by looking at the model pictures, if they're available. Or you could have a long torso, and I just gave you unwarranted advice. :)

Thing is, I've never invested even 1/5th into anything like this before, outside of jewelery for the GF. I have no idea what I should look into save for reviews and making sure to buy from an authorized retailer. Any tips?

There's actually a watch GAF thread here that answers all of your questions. I didn't really frequent that thread, so I can't really give you the rundown.

Piecake

Most catalog models are at that height and weight and wear mediums. You should get some about idea about where an item of clothing hits your body by looking at the model pictures, if they're available. Or you could have a long torso, and I just gave you unwarranted advice. :)

I have long arms :(

entremet

You guys know of any good Memorial Day clearance sales? Online only of course. I ain't going to retail on Memorial Day.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Anyone know where I can get tailored slim fit linen pants? Usual places like H&M don't have them like that and even more expensive brands are failing me. My big butt requires me to buy bigger sizes but I don't want the whole thing to be wide up to my feet
No one? Or do they just not make tailored linen pants?

Futureman

Your body type's fine. Your chief issue is that your clothes don't fit.

The look posted by MiDNiGHTS might be good for you. You can really get away with tons of brighter, louder colors because of your skin tone and size.

The pants I'm wearing are just Dockers. I've never really liked jeans, I prefer the looser fit of dress pants. If we leave jeans out, what would be a good pant to get? I saw these the other day:

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=23072309

Really liked them. I guess they would fit a little more snug then my typical $30 Dockers?

and yea the polo is probably a size too large. I have a tattoo on my right arm above the elbow, and I guess I've always since then tended to buy bigger shirts to try and cover it up a bit. I think I either need to get the tat removed, add to the tat so it doesnt look so weird by itself, or try to find more long sleeve styles I can wear.

and..... should I just bic it? I buzzed my head this morning and it's pretty obvious that I'm balding. If I let it grow a little bit, it's not so obvious, but I'm thinking I should maybe just bic it as I will probably have to in a few years anyways and maybe I should get used to it.

burg.jpg

bob page

The pants I'm wearing are just Dockers. I've never really liked jeans, I prefer the looser fit of dress pants. If we leave jeans out, what would be a good pant to get? I saw these the other day:

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=23072309

Really liked them. I guess they would fit a little more snug then my typical $30 Dockers?

and yea the polo is probably a size too large. I have a tattoo on my right arm above the elbow, and I guess I've always since then tended to buy bigger shirts to try and cover it up a bit. I think I either need to get the tat removed, add to the tat so it doesnt look so weird by itself, or try to find more long sleeve styles I can wear.

and..... should I just bic it? I buzzed my head this morning and it's pretty obvious that I'm balding. If I let it grow a little bit, it's not so obvious, but I'm thinking I should maybe just bic it as I will probably have to in a few years anyways and maybe I should get used to it.

I wear Alpha Khakis often- they're definitely a good alternative to jeans and have a nice slim/tappered leg. Probably the best fit of Dockers that you can find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom