• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I have a few questions for you all, one more comical, one practical.

First, anyone else have the issue that with some polos (usually lighter colored ones) that you look like you are "nipping out" in them? It must be fabric because half of my polos are fine with a normal T-Shirt under them and the other ones aren't.

Do they make thicker undershirts for this type of thing? Just odd that a red polo I have does it, but a light grey one does not even though the fabric feels lighter in the grey one.

Second, when wearing Khakis, does your belt need to directly match your shoes in color? What about socks? Do they match the pants?

Finally, where do you guys get deep enough V-necks to go under a polo and not show? I bought a pack of Tommy V-neck undershirts and you can still see it under my polo.

Thanks all, that's what I got for today. :p

Second, when wearing Khakis, does your belt need to directly match your shoes in color? What about socks? Do they match the pants?

Finally, where do you guys get deep enough V-necks to go under a polo and not show? I bought a pack of Tommy V-neck undershirts and you can still see it under my polo.

Thanks all, that's what I got for today. :p

As a general rule, belts and shoes have to match and your socks should be the same shade or a few shades darker than your pants. These aren't hard and fast but unless you got swag it's best to stick with them (though I've never seen unmatched shoes/belt look good).

I've picked up some v-neck undershirts from macy's that are deep enough to not show while wearing a polo or two-buttons undone button-down shirt. The brand is Alfani and they come in a slim fit.

Alucrid

Banned
Could be the difference in fabric, regardless of weight, way light reflects off the color, size, fit or style of the shirt, etc.

No to belt and shoes. As long as the shades go together you're OK, completely matching can even look awkward. Except for black of course.

I'm not a sock connoisseur but I don't think they need to match either or even be a similar shade. Uhhh look for deep vs or just go sans undershirt.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
As a general rule, belts and shoes have to match and your socks should be the same shade or a few shades darker than your pants. These aren't hard and fast but unless you got swag it's best to stick with them (though I've never seen unmatched shoes/belt look good).

I've picked up some v-neck undershirts from macy's that are deep enough to not show while wearing a polo or two-buttons undone button-down shirt. The brand is Alfani and they come in a slim fit.

Could be the difference in fabric, regardless of weight, way light reflects off the color, size, fit or style of the shirt, etc.

No to belt and shoes. As long as the shades go together you're OK, completely matching can even look awkward. Except for black of course.

I'm not a sock connoisseur but I don't think they need to match either or even be a similar shade. Uhhh look for deep vs or just go sans undershirt.

Thanks all. The polos just baffle me, I'm hoping there is a thicker style of undershirt that I can pick up. I am in the process of re-doing my wardrobe, especially work clothes. Any good slim fit polo/button up deals around currently?

EDIT: Also looking for some brown/tan summer shoes but am way out of my league looking for them. Are Sperry's the best? Lacoste? I want something a bit more casual looking. I know you all hate cargo khaki shorts but that's what I'd wear them with, are they the right shoe for that?

Hey Gaf,

I just got a new shirt, hoping to look more like my style hero: Waldo

liLmrl.jpg

Just kidding. They advertised it as a Picasso shirt.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Looking for some brown/tan summer shoes but am way out of my league looking for them. Are Sperry's the best? Lacoste? I want something a bit more casual looking. I know you all hate cargo khaki shorts but that's what I'd wear them with, are they the right shoe for that?

Say khaki cargos, a polo and boat shoes?

I still don't think the non cargo khaki shorts look good on me...

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
neal-caffrey-style-tug-white-collar-2.jpg

Out of curiosity (saw this posted in some other thread) - how does fashion(able) GAF think about this? I kinda like the look of a three-piece suit, but at my current job and previous jobs where I had to suit up nobody ever had one and when I asked the general popular opinion was that anyone wearing a three-piece suit probably has a small dick. So, curious to hear GAF's opinion.

Alucrid

Banned
http://www.theurbangent.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/neal-caffrey-style-tug-white-collar-2.jpg[IMG]

Out of curiosity (saw this posted in some other thread) - how does fashion(able) GAF think about this? I kinda like the look of a three-piece suit, but at my current job and previous jobs where I had to suit up nobody ever had one and when I asked the general popular opinion was that anyone wearing a three-piece suit probably has a small dick. So, curious to hear GAF's opinion.[/QUOTE]

It's from a tv show

then again I'd assume that most of the people who wear suits get theirs from MW or Jos. if you can pull it off feel free to do whatever. they'll fade in and out of mass market appeal, but if it's done right it's done right an will look good. obviously you do project a certain image while wearing one, and that image to some people is a small dick. i personally can't say I think about small dicks regularly though

Out of curiosity (saw this posted in some other thread) - how does fashion(able) GAF think about this? I kinda like the look of a three-piece suit, but at my current job and previous jobs where I had to suit up nobody ever had one and when I asked the general popular opinion was that anyone wearing a three-piece suit probably has a small dick. So, curious to hear GAF's opinion.

The thing about it is look at how damn skinny the lapels are. Only a skinny fashion model can pull that off. But three-piece suits are cool if a bit unconventional, fussy, and wanting to convey a more powerful position. I think that's why people think it's the small dick suit. I think it can look anachronistic too, but if you got the balls to do it, then fuck what everybody says

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Looking for some brown/tan summer shoes but am way out of my league looking for them. Are Sperry's the best? Lacoste? I want something a bit more casual looking. I know you all hate cargo khaki shorts but that's what I'd wear them with, are they the right shoe for that?

Any thoughts on this?

neal-caffrey-style-tug-white-collar-2.jpg

not really a three piece suit, it's a thin lapel pinstripe suit being worn with a more traditional stripe vest. the lapels kind of kill it, IMO, need to be much more assertive, especially with a collar like that. the overall color choices are nice tho.

and I can see his zipper ;P

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Good summer shoes?

1682428-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

Mangotron

Good summer shoes?

1682428-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

I have those Pumas in red and they're pretty nice. VERY lightweight and comfortable, they are extremely low cut though. I haven't really found socks that don't show at all with them, so keep that in mind if you don't like to go sockless.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I have those Pumas in red and they're pretty nice. VERY lightweight and comfortable, they are extremely low cut though. I haven't really found socks that don't show at all with them, so keep that in mind if you don't like to go sockless.

Cool, I'm just wondering how well the blue will go with all outfit colors. Mainly to be worn with cargo shorts and polo/tshirt.

Maybe I should get this color:

1700990-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

overcast

I'm going to need some recommendations on shorts for summer. I never really liked shorts, but I'm going to need a decent looking pair for southern California in summer.

Unless you guys think I can survive with jeans (I've done it the past 4 years)

Ominym

Banned

Personally, I love Sperrys. They go extremely well with khaki shorts, which I would highly recommend investing in over cargo shorts. Cargo shorts look kinda tacky, especially depending on the environment you're in. But I wouldn't expect good fashion ideas from someone from Iowa
I'm from Nebraska, sorry had to be done. Haha.
I will say the key to khaki shorts is just finding the brand that works for you, large department stores with many brands (think Dillards, for example) will give you a lot of opportunities to find ones that you like.

As far as shoes go, like I said, I love Sperrys. I prefer darker leather topsiders, but I have seen a lot more stylistically liberal Sperrys popping up here and there.

Finally, as far as polos go, what kind are we talking about here? When it comes to polos, personally I prefer no logo, and go with J. Crew. However, you're probably in the clear as long as the polo doesn't look like an Ed Hardy t-shirt. I know some frown on American Eagle, Express, etc. But that's your call.

I fucking hate short sleeved shirts they are now everywhere and theres no nice long sleeved ones (in all the shops I went into today)
God its so hard to find a white shirt with a nice bit of blue detail.

Whats with all these really ugly printed polos aswell?
80K11DMUL_normal.jpg

Even Zara let me down today and they are usually on point. Bah!

zchen

I'm going to need some recommendations on shorts for summer. I never really liked shorts, but I'm going to need a decent looking pair for southern California in summer.

Unless you guys think I can survive with jeans (I've done it the past 4 years)

Land's End Canvas Linen Shorts, $45, but there's a 30% off coupon code (SALUTE & Pin 6350)
http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/mens-beachside-linen-shorts~235396_-1.html

J.Crew Factory also has a good selection here

30% off coupon code LOVEIT

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Personally, I love Sperrys. They go extremely well with khaki shorts, which I would highly recommend investing in over cargo shorts. Cargo shorts look kinda tacky, especially depending on the environment you're in. But I wouldn't expect good fashion ideas from someone from Iowa
I'm from Nebraska, sorry had to be done. Haha.
I will say the key to khaki shorts is just finding the brand that works for you, large department stores with many brands (think Dillards, for example) will give you a lot of opportunities to find ones that you like.

As far as shoes go, like I said, I love Sperrys. I prefer darker leather topsiders, but I have seen a lot more stylistically liberal Sperrys popping up here and there.

Finally, as far as polos go, what kind are we talking about here? When it comes to polos, personally I prefer no logo, and go with J. Crew. However, you're probably in the clear as long as the polo doesn't look like an Ed Hardy t-shirt. I know some frown on American Eagle, Express, etc. But that's your call.

Ha, thanks for the notes. The issue is every time I try on non cargo shorts they just look so...weird on me. Not near as good as some guys. Looks too formal and awkward. I'll have to try some ransom styles...

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Anyone know where I can get tailored slim fit linen pants? Usual places like H&M don't have them like that and even more expensive brands are failing me. My big butt requires me to buy bigger sizes but I don't want the whole thing to be wide up to my feet

I fucking hate short sleeved shirts they are now everywhere and theres no nice long sleeved ones (in all the shops I went into today)
God its so hard to find a white shirt with a nice bit of blue detail.

Whats with all these really ugly printed polos aswell?
80K11DMUL_normal.jpg

Even Zara let me down today and they are usually on point. Bah!

I actually like that polo tho. I've always been big on prints though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom