• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March 2014 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes April 14th

Well Titanfall did have a pretty good showing on Amazon's best seller list (I know I know). But yes I do believe overall TF did not have the effect MS intended, hence their silence on sales.

I don't care much for the sales of the other consoles, but my prediction for PS4 and XB1 numbers are:

PS4: 450k
XB1: 390k

why do i always hear that...
makes me sad

sony is silence on infamous sales, too
ea is silence on titanfall sales, too

maybe they wait to surpass killzone shadowfall so they can announce the best selling next gen game*

* on a single platform

noobie

Banned
Format:
Note: PS3 and WIU will only be counted for unit results and cardinal order bonus. They are not included for point results.

February's Results - thanks to various angles
(Used for Feb. predictions)

PS4: 268K
XB1: 258K
3DS: ~155K
360: 114K
PS3: 103K
Wii U: 82K

February 2013 NPD thread
March 2013 NPD thread

NPD Prediction Thread Archive

Why PS3 and WIU are not included in point result when PS3 and 360 are so close in the first two months of 2014 atleast?

why do i always hear that...
makes me sad

sony is silence on infamous sales, too
ea is silence on titanfall sales, too

maybe they wait to surpass killzone shadowfall so they can announce the best selling next gen game*

* on a single platform

Implying that Infamous Second son had more than a fraction of Titanfall's marketing or vested corporate interests is a little disingenuous.

KoopaTheCasual

Why PS3 and WIU are not included in point result when PS3 and 360 are so close in the first two months of 2014 atleast?
If Sony starts releasing numbers again, it would be a complete admittance that they only hide their numbers when they're under a certain threshold, or being beaten by their competitive. It would set a dangerous precedent moving forward. So for consistency, I imagine, they're sticking to this new policy.

[360] 105k
[3DS] 160k
[PS3] 90k
[PS4] 260k
[PSV] 0k
[WIU] 75k
[XB1] 270k

Are people seriously expecting Infamous to bump the PS4 to above 400k?

I would imagine most people are expecting actual stock at the majority of brick and mortar stores to boost sales to above 400K while ISS might boost PS4 desirability by some small amount actually having steady and widespread supply should help sales of the PS4 this month

donny2112

PS3's December making Nov+Dec ~= Wii U pushed it out. Only other considered change back in January (with December's results; don't like changing the setup once the year starts, if possible) would've been to pull 360 out of points, too, but wanted to keep 4 systems in points. The actual performance during the year wouldn't then change how it's handled during the year, but it does go into what to do with it for next year. :)

[360] 107K
[3DS] ???
[PS3] ???
[PS4] 310K
[WIU] 90K
[XB1] 340K

If XB1 can't beat PS4 this month then I doubt they'll beat them ever barring something crazy.

prag16

Banned
Damn, some people are predicting massive Titanfall bumps. I guess we'll see. PS4 should be up as well due to the 5 week month, but I doubt Infamous moved a crazy amount of consoles. Certainly not enough to keep it above xbone.

Wii U should be up slightly month to month due to the 5 week month, but I'd be shocked if it's up on a per week basis. DKCTF probably wasn't a huge system seller, but with basically no March releases of any kind, I don't think we can reasonably expect six figures.

Damn, some people are predicting massive Titanfall bumps. I guess we'll see. PS4 should be up as well due to the 5 week month, but I doubt Infamous moved a crazy amount of consoles. Certainly not enough to keep it above xbone.

Wii U should be up slightly month to month due to the 5 week month, but I'd be shocked if it's up on a per week basis. DKCTF probably wasn't a huge system seller, but with basically no March releases of any kind, I don't think we can reasonably expect six figures.

I was initially expecting a huge Titanfall bump, but now I'm wondering how many people bought in early to play the beta...

I also expect a Wii U regression this month back to March 2013 norms. March and April are completely dead months for the Wii U retail-wise.

donny2112

I also expect a Wii U regression this month back to March 2013 norms. March and April are completely dead months for the Wii U retail-wise.

Nintendo could do something in early May with either a price drop, new color, or new bundle in the run-up to Mario Kart 8. Black Wii was an early May release, IIRC.

N.Domixis

Banned
Yep, very true but it having a major game release pushes it from "almost guaranteed" to "inevitable".

The latter would have probably been a better reply.

Edit: Seems like there will continue to be around a 300K gap between overall PS4 and Xbox One sales in North America until the Fall (major game releases and possible price drops). Fall is going to be very interesting.
I Don't know why it would be interesting, the biggest multi plats will all be advertised as ps4 games. Assassins creed, destiny, batman and watchdogs. Together they will make sure ps4 stays ahead for the while year now. Then next year they can cut price to 350 and again be 100 dollars cheaper if they want to.

[360] 120K
[3DS] 205K
[PS3] 100K
[PS4] 425K
[WIU] 120K
[XB1] 480K

I just don't see any way that the X1 doesn't take the month. Titanfall packed in for free, and the X1 had a de facto price cut for most of the month. If MS doesn't take this month, then I doubt they'll be able to keep up with the PS4, even if they reach price parity. This month is definitely make or break for MS, I don't see them having a shot at coming back on top from here on out (until an nice, big price cut). And even then, Sony's built the PS4 with quick price cut and adaptability in mind. They'll hold price advantage for the rest of this gen.

[360] 120k
[3DS] 160k
[PS3] 100k
[PS4] 350k
[WIU] 70k
[XB1] 330k

I honestly think Titanfall would prove to be a bit of a damp squib in terms of moving Xbones, to be honest. Combined with Sony providing the biggest shipment of PS4s since launch means I'm going to give the nod to the PS4 this month, but in any case I wouldn't expect anywhere near a stomping victory for the Xbone.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
[360] 90k
[3DS] 150k
[PS3] 80k
[PS4] 275k
[WIU] 80k
[XB1] 290k

[PS4] 450k
[XB1] 400k
[3DS] 160k
[360] 100k
[PS3] 90K
[WIU] 70k

No I'm expecting finally arriving shipments of PS4 to push it above 400K.

Probably the least confident I've been making a a prediction and will probably kill my average, but what the hell:

[360] 135K
[3DS] 175K
[PS3] 125K
[PS4] 400K
[WIU] 90K
[XB1] 350K

It's pretty much a given that XB1 will sell more than the PS4 but if the PS4 sells more than the XB1 I think MS has a problem and will need to think about officially lowering the price of the XB1.

Official price drop, it had a huge unofficial price drop with a free packin... Either way, if it doesn't completely dominate March it's embarrassing.

I don't think it well dominate but has a chance of edging ahead.\

[360]Are people seriously expecting Infamous to bump the PS4 to above 400k?

It's a combination of the unusually large shipments, Metal Gear (PlayStation dominated brand), and Infamous.

I think XboxOne will beat Ps4 in March, but it will be very close.
I could also imagine Ps4 winning if Sony managed to keep supply high.

[PS4] 350k
[XB1] 370k
[3DS] 140k
[360] 110k
[PS3] 80k
[WIU] 65k

Bgamer90

Banned
I Don't know why it would be interesting, the biggest multi plats will all be advertised as ps4 games. Assassins creed, destiny, batman and watchdogs. Together they will make sure ps4 stays ahead for the while year now. Then next year they can cut price to 350 and again be 100 dollars cheaper if they want to.

There are more than just (cross gen) multiplats coming out during the Fall.

[PS4] 420k
[XB1] 405k
[3DS] 165k
[360] 115k
[PS3] 95k
[WIU] 75k

Think people overestimate the effect of Titanfall the silence from EA and MS is pretty telling, Blizzard had no problem saying RoS has already sold 2.7 million copies. So why wouldnt EA do this for Titanfall if it did so well. The hype for it also died pretty quickly after launch.

Chobel

There are more than just (cross gen) multiplats coming out during the Fall.

You said the gap will continue to be around 300k until the fall, his point is that there's only multipats before the fall, and the big ones will be advertised for PS4, so the gap will widen (bigger than 300K before the fall).

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Console Sales:
[360] 120K
[3DS] 100K
[PS3] 105K
[PS4] 380k
[WIU] 50K
[XB1] 400K

Game Sales:

1) Titanfall
2) Diablo III Reaper of Souls
3) Dark Souls II
4) Infamous Second Son
5) South Park Stick of Truth
6) Call of Duty Ghosts
7) Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes
8) Battlefield 4
9) Thief
10) Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2

geordiemp

Well, looking at Amazon.com sales charts...

http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-video-games/zgbs/videogames/ref=zg_bs_unv_vg_1_294940_1

and 2014 so far

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014/videogames/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_bsar

Looks as though Titanfall has massive attach rate, but on Amazon cant see much xbox one console sales, even current Ps4 is #4 and Titanfall bundle is # 22. The Titanfall bundle at # 22 on Amazon is same position as Xbox one 2014 YTD.

Appreciate amazon is only a single online supplier snapshot, but using it as a poll is a good an indicator I am going to get....

[Xbox one] 350 K
[Ps4] 520 K

I think people buy consoles for multiple game potential and not just 1 or 2 exclusives, and Ps4 being the stronger console for multiplats will win it again for Sony (next gen)

S¡mon

Banned
[360] 105k
[3DS] 160k
[PS3] 90k
[PS4] 260k
[PSV] 0k
[WIU] 75k
[XB1] 270k

I don't think you are close either.

XB1 had 258K last month, which was a 4 week period. April NPD are five weeks. March is arguably just as strong, if not stronger, than February. 258K / 4 weeks * 5 weeks = 322.5K.

And with this 322.5K figure, it is assumed that March is just as strong as February. You aren't even taking into consideration that:

- March usually is a stronger month than February
- Titanfall launched
- XB1 prices as low as $399 (including a game)

These three factors will probably push it beyond 322.5K units sold.

Similar story for PS4:
- March usually is a stronger month than February
- inFAMOUS: Second Son launched
- Better supply than in February

Bgamer90

Banned
You said the gap will continue to be around 300k until the fall, his point is that there's only multipats before the fall, and the big ones will be advertised for PS4, so the gap will widen (bigger than 300K before the fall).

Can't really see the gap being 400K+ before the Fall. The multiplats that are coming are well known as being multiplats on both last gen and current gen consoles. I feel that exclusive games are what's really going to make the gap change or, at least multiplats that are XB1/PS4 only. Fall is going to have a decent amount of games that fit those categories.

Well, looking at Amazon.com sales charts...

http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-video-games/zgbs/videogames/ref=zg_bs_unv_vg_1_294940_1

and 2014 so far

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014/videogames/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_bsar

Looks as though Titanfall has massive attach rate, but on Amazon cant see much xbox one console sales, even current Ps4 is #4 and Titanfall bundle is # 22. The Titanfall bundle at # 22 on Amazon is same position as Xbox one 2014 YTD.

Appreciate amazon is only a single online supplier snapshot, but using it as a poll is a good an indicator I am going to get....

[Xbox one] 350 K
[Ps4] 520 K

I think people buy consoles for multiple game potential and not just 1 or 2 exclusives, and Ps4 being the stronger console for multiplats will win it again for Sony (next gen)

People used Amazon sales charts last month for a form of proof but yet the Xbox One sold around the same amount as the PS4.

The Xbox One is easier to find in stores than the PS4 which is probably having an impact on many people getting PS4s from online stores. That's not to say that amazon sales should be completely dismissed though.

Top Bottom