• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MArio 64 Parallel Universes and Timecubes - A masterclass in how to TAS/Glitch

Social

WsyqoBK.gif

That's all I could think about. Nothing to redeem it, that's just it.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
"Parallel universes" is a bit of a fanciful term for what's actually going on there. Makes it sound a lot cooler than it actually is (at least, to people not familiar with how things like these actually work already).

Still though, the fact that he did all of this work for minimizing the number of times he has to press the A Button to beat Super Mario 64 is impressive, and I always love hearing about the crazy nonsense people pull when trying to do things like this or speedrun games.

So what *is* going on there exactly?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

ps3ud0

The only thing I didnt understand is how he could locomote within the world - does just getting to the right speed/direction mean an instant warp? I presume its not a perfect speed to ensure theres actual movement rather than just purely moving PUs as he puts it

ps3ud0 8)

Kent

So what *is* going on there exactly?

It's actually shown quite clearly in the video.

Basically, while Mario's "real position" is stored as a specific data type that allows it to have an absurdly-huge value (for the purposes of the engine), the level itself has a specific boundary set to it on each axis. The engine handles things being outside of these boundaries by using the modulo operation, which basically returns the remainder after dividing evenly however many times as possible. The end result, is that the "useful" position for Mario, the position actually used for detecting collision with terrain, is some number within the level boundaries.

Even though Mario's "real position" is far outside of the map's boundaries, the engine's math for determining the value to use for collision detection always remains within the boundaries. This makes it so that Mario can collide with the terrain inside of the level boundaries, despite that he is himself not inside the level boundaries.

To put it simply, it says "Mario is at (X, Y)," after doing math, and deals with collision as if he is there, regardless of whether or not he actually is.

Azure J

And to think when I was a kid, all I ever wondered was if there was more "level" beyond invisible barriers and stage geometry.

Getting it all confirmed in this way is amazing.

Alfredo

"Now we're finally ready to resume the main video and watch the PU movement... JUST KIDDING"

I cracked up so hard. This video is blowing my mind, even if I only understand a small part of it, lol.

Now this is some game theory. This stuff is so interesting. I'm watching the parallel universe part of the video and it's just amazing.

My reaction to the "half press" explanation:

FZcLKbW.gif
lol, I did this but a little later just before the parallel universe stuff. I think the number of times he said skuttlebug might've been some kind of manchurian candidate trigger code too.

Not to diss the video, I've bookmarked for later viewing, I had no idea this level of complexity ever went in to speedrunning. Very interesting stuff really.

Azure J

Finished the video and I'm simultaneously so fascinated/excited by this entire ordeal and immensely depressed that I will probably never do something this cool in my lifetime.

jaypah

"But that didn't stop meeee!" HOLY SHIT DUDE, NO IT DID NOT! That was an amazing video. I also like the one where he does some wild shit to create goombas or freeze them or store them in memory or something to cross a huge gap by jumping on them. I can't remember but it was crazy!

"But that didn't stop meee!" he should get that shit tattooed on his neck. It didn't stop you dude. Nothing could...

Azure J

Incredible video and fascinating.If you start watching the first seconds you can't stop until finish.

The pacing of this video was really superb, never mind the actual content being fascinating for computer science nuts:

- Start with "half A [button] presses"
- Go off on Scuttlebug Placing (dafuq)
- "...Parallel Universes anyone?"
- ???
- Profit.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Is there a cohesive point to this video? The A Button - Scuttlebug shift lost me.

todd360

The pacing of this video was really superb, never mind the actual content being fascinating for computer science nuts:

- Start with "half A [button] presses"
- Go off on Scuttlebug Placing (dafuq)
- "...Parallel Universes anyone?"
- ???
- Profit.

The parallel universes took the video from really good to god tier.

Is there a cohesive point to this video? The A Button - Scuttlebug shift lost me.

It's to explain how he managed to get a Star (one of the goals of the game) with as few A button presses as possible, I think this was a level he already done in a previous video but this video goes into great detail explaining it.

Similar positional overflow tricks (using that same method of gaining speed in the level and carrying over to the Peach Castle part of the game) were used to access a part of Peach's castle with few button presses as well in another video.

Except that it isn't - what's actually going on, is that Mario's collision with the terrain is calculated only within the boundaries of the level itself. Total position mod level boundary is used on both axes to get the functional collision detection, rather than positing that there's actually an invisible "copy" of all of the terrain out there in space for some reason (noting that this was stated directly in the video as being the case). This is an artifact of Super Mario 64's rudimentary 3D engine and is, quite likely, done to prevent the engine from crashing when Mario steps out of bounds.

"Parallel universe" isn't really a good description of it because the name implies that anything actually exists out there, which it's quite clear (especially from the video) that nothing does. You could call it "out-of-bounds displaced terrain collision geometry" and be far more accurate and informative of what it actually is, but you'd also turn fewer heads in the process.

The functional effect is exactly the same as if the level was replicated, though. Mario's actual position is still stored as a float, so he really "is" that far to the right. The fact that terrain colision is calculated by first casting his position to short is functionally equivalent as if there were a myriad replicas of the terrain of the level, only these replicas don't have enemies (because their positions, too, are stored as floats and I assume enemy colision doesn't transform to short, probably because, being only a few enemies as compared to terrain elements, there's not such a need for optimization). For all relevant intents and purposes the system behaves as if it had those replicas. The explanation in the video is crystal clear to anyone who has the inclination and knowledge to understand what exactly is going on behind the scenes about these paralel universes, and anyone who doesn't isn't going to care about the distinction in the first place, so I frankly don't see what your issue is.

Also SMFH at "out-of-bounds displaced terrain collision geometry". You realize he had to shorten even "paralel universes" to PU after a while, don't you? At some point you have to stop being pedantic for pedantry's sake. >_>

Shifty

You've never heard of Mario?... He's the plumber that made the Hazy Maze Run in less than twelve parsecs.

Kent

The explanation in the video is crystal clear to anyone who has the inclination and knowledge to understand what exactly is going on behind the scenes about these paralel universes, and anyone who doesn't isn't going to care about the distinction in the first place, so I frankly don't see what your issue is.

Mostly the fact that saying there are parallel universes can be a bit misleading because of the implications it has - it sounds a lot fancier than it actually is, and doesn't necessarily represent what's going on.

Also SMFH at "out-of-bounds displaced terrain collision geometry". You realize he had to shorten even "paralel universes" to PU after a while, don't you? At some point you have to stop being pedantic for pedantry's sake. >_>

that'sthejoke.jpg

Still, one could reasonably come up with an easy-to-say term that describes what's going on, or rather, simply file it under myriad other glitch types that are commonly used in breaking down games of many types (wrong warps, screen-wraps, or in this case, an out-of-bounds glitch). Calling it a parallel universe is a bit needlessly-fanciful, considering all of the things it doesn't have in common with the concept.

Peltz

Man.... I remember when I was proud just to get all the stars.

This guy really knows how to play Super Mario 64. Absolutely incredible.

magnetic

It's funny how I kept thinking "but what's the point of all this?", when the answer clearly is "because it's challenging and fascinating".

It doesn't have any less point to it than any regular gaming we do. It's a test to see how far we can push things. It's like a very weird puzzle game.

I knew that the TAS scene had some intricate stuff going on, but halfway through the video I got this weirdly uncanny feeling, seeing how deep he went into the game.

Reminds me of that guy who manipulated Super Mario World with a string of seemingly nonsensical button presses and then suddenly the credits started rolling after just five minutes into the game. Does anybody remember that link?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I'm amazed at the trivial shit people will use their intelligence for. Wtf dude, is there no better use of that organ of yours?

SolVanderlyn

I'm amazed at the trivial shit people will use their intelligence for. Wtf dude, is there no better use of that organ of yours?
God forbid people use intelligence in their free time for fun.

Madao

It's funny how I kept thinking "but what's the point of all this?", when the answer clearly is "because it's challenging and fascinating".

It doesn't have any less point to it than any regular gaming we do. It's a test to see how far we can push things. It's like a very weird puzzle game.

I knew that the TAS scene had some intricate stuff going on, but halfway through the video I got this weirdly uncanny feeling, seeing how deep he went into the game.

Reminds me of that guy who manipulated Super Mario World with a string of seemingly nonsensical button presses and then suddenly the credits started rolling after just five minutes into the game. Does anybody remember that link?

you should look up the latest AGDQ TAS showcase. they used the "nonsense" button presses in Super Mario World to create a level editor within the game like Mario Maker.

people like that probably led us to inventions like phones. i bet back then talking over a distance was "trivial shit" since people could just go and say things to people face to face or send a telegram...

the guy still has a lifetime to land on some research in the future.

elfinke

I enjoyed the hell out of that, thanks for sharing. And bless The Simpsons gifs, just magnificent.

TAS have always been enjoyable, as all the various types of speed running are, but that was especially great.

I never cared much for Mario 64 at release, but has time has gone on it has certainly been a gift that keeps on giving.

Top Bottom