• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour |OT| Bring Cursing to the Fore with Mario and Friends!

sphinx

the piano man
I think -10 or something. I'm never going to win the strokes competitions, so I just get a good enough score and go on. Particularly since even if you can tie a higher scoring persion, you'll be below them because your score came later than theirs. Now Coin compeititions, I expect a little more out of, so I might replay them a few times if I think I can do significantly better. Also, less likely to get shafted by the "time entered" criteria, since it's very unlikely to end up with exactly the same score.

In the end, this is for fun, so just go with what floats your boat. :)

Way to go!!!

For stroke competitions, the ordering is 1) score and then 2) time entered. Therefore a -15 on the first day will always be ahead of a -15 on a later day, since it was entered earlier in the competition period. Don't think it takes into account anything else when determining the rankings.

hhm bummed that it's according to the date I played, I don't see how I get to be in 4th place (and by that out of the podium) because the other two guys happened to reach that faster. In my opinion we are all 2nd place, as a bunch, but I guess that's too complicated for nintendo.

actually I like a lot more these challenges that the coin ones, I suck at them. I don't ever see myself placing anywhere near top 30 in those challenges,

some minutes ago, I swear I wanted to pull my hair out in frustration.

I managed to get an eagle in hole 2 and a hole-in-one in hole 4, getting one of those is hard but getting two of those "lucky shots" happens once in a day playing like 50 (100?) times.

So I get my shit together and don't miss any shots and EVEN THEN the game screwed me up and sent the ball to a complicated spot in hole 5 and right there my -17 was gone. I continue played hoping to get another lucky shot and in hole 8 the ball CROSSED the hole!!!! it passed through it!! I wanted to smash my 3ds against the wall.

Ended up doing an eagle in hole 9 and getting -16..... depressing. That should have been the -18 I actually deserve, sorry, I don't mean to sound arrogant but this game is incredibly fucking punishing und random. I have made the exact same distances/club/shots countless times, every fucking time is a bit different. I can shoot for a hole-in-one in hole 4, I know the exacts distances and angles for it, I found them myself and even then the game does whatever it wants. Top spin and super top spin, they are also random.

you can't make a game hard by making it random, that's BULLSHIT, if my task is to press the buttons on certain parts of the power bar and I do it, I expect the ball to go there, not wherever the fucking game decides to send it.

I hope when these challenges are gone that we get something entirely different, I need a break -_-

donny2112

For the Castle Club:
Stroke Tournaments (World and Regional)
Low/Mid/High handicap tournaments (so much cheating in this that I just don't play these anymore)
Double Peoria (i.e. handicap determined by results from random holes, so you don't know your standings until the end of the tournament)
Speed Golf
Closest to the Pin
Longest Drive
1-on-1-putt
4 Major tournaments a year (i.e. awesome remix of one of the 4 main courses where they move a bunch of stuff around and change the green's grass to make it way more difficult)

Mario Golf:
Limited Character Stroke Play
Limited Item Coin Rush
Open Tournament Stroke Play
Open Tournament Coin Rush
(DLC Stroke Play, every other week)
(DLC Coin Rush, every other week)

Can't think of any more with the Mario section, but I think that covers the tournament types I've seen.

sphinx

the piano man
after playing online intensively this week, I am kind of giving up on the online part of this game.

I am not sure why, but I get input lag even while sitting next to my router.

Trying to do perfect shots on a power bar that moves erratically due to lag is the very definition of "not fun",

I played to death the bullet bill challenge to reach -17 but it's frustrating, there's always something that will screw me up, including the game itself without me doing any mistakes.

I went to the current european/world tournaments and other challenges and I hated everything.

What I know is that I want to complete my wardrobe and put this game back in the shelf and move on.

daydream

Banned
The online is pretty flawless aside from some lobby wonkiness. I look back fondly on the GAF matches we had before MK8 came out.

sphinx

the piano man
there definitely was lag in my case but I found out what was the problem, all these days I've been trying to win the bullet bill tournament. I'd just close my 3DS, leave it charging overnight and re-open right there in the game.

Somehow, I would be playing worse and worse without realizing why, I didn't give it much thought thinking I was tired or just bad luck.

yesterday I went to the other tournaments to try and get at least a trophy, and that was an eye opener, the game was fast as fuck and I thought "wait a second, the bullet bill tourny crawls to a snail pace... let me check"...

and there was it.... everything in order, no lag, perfect performance...I just had to reset the game.... and I realize that ONE FUCKING DAY BEFORE THE TOURNAMENTS ARE GONE

Yesterday I managed to get a -17 score three times with realitve ease and with that, I've made it into the podium and I share the highest score with gon, the japanese guy, who will take the gold trophy cause he got there before me. I am getting a silver trophy.

The saddest thing is that I've been a slice of a bar near of getting a -18, twice and winning my first and very likely only online thing I will ever have the chance to win in my life. I am getting in the podium which is hard as hell and I guess I should be proud but it's a bittersweet feeling.

Had I realized the thing about the lag earlier, I am absolutely certain I would have won the thing, I just needed luck, I had all the movements covered, practiced and mastered.

the tournaments are over in 2 hours and I am out of time, so this is it.

It's gone,

my only solace is to know that, other than the japanese guy, I beat everyone else in the world.

(EDIT: And I am sorry for my last posts, normally I am not this obnoxious but this thing about the bullet bill challenge has been very taxing and with lots of frustration...)

donny2112

I've made it into the podium and I share the highest score with gon, the japanese guy, who will take the gold trophy cause he got there before me. I am getting a silver trophy.

Congratulations! Didn't realize about the closing the system introducing lag for the online tournaments. I've done it a couple of times, but usually, I just finish a tournament from beginning to end in one go. Hopefully this troublesome experience doesn't turn you off completely from continuing the online tourneys. I usually spend a night or two finishing all the new tourneys and then put it up until next week. It's pretty fun (even close to a year later) in short doses like that. :)

sphinx

the piano man
Thanks Donny, so I got over being 2nd place and ready for the new challenges

are you guys doing the cheep cheep lagoon Mario Tournament??

I am noticing that I don't have the patience to work on a good score in the 18-hole tournaments in the Mii castle. Will get the rewards and nothing else.

the CCL on the Mario side seems fun and with its 9 holes, it is quickly over so I feel motivated to try to sneak into the podium again.

Mav and the Japanese are at it again with -17 and -16 and I am still figuring out the Holes-in-one, eagles and albatrosses.

can we share some technics? here what I do on my first 4 holes.

Character: Star Mario

HOLE 1
use default club with default distance, Top Spin (AA), use the current to the left to reach the edge of the green but trying to stay outside of it. With the air being weak, just place the line very very slightly to the left of the hole in "approach" mode, go to the next lower distance and use AA. If you nail both shots, it's almost guaranteed to result in an eagle.

you can use the bullet bill to land in the green and if the past bullet bill challenge is any indication, I am sure a hole-in-one using it is possible. Still not worth the risk. Later holes need the BB more than this one, plus the BB stops and pops wherever it wants it can take countless times till it gives you a HiO. fuck this.

other than the BB possibilty, which is 1 in 200 maybe, I have no idea how can someone possibly make a HiO out of this one. any ideas?

HOLE 2
default club, default distance, Super Top Spin (AB), press X to use the camera. From there, move the arrow line exactly to the right of the blue line of the boomerang in the leftmost block. if done correctly, a HiO ocurrs like 60%-70%of the time. Sometimes it will stay behind or stop at the edge of the hole.

HOLE 3
I use the bullet bill here, distance is 343 to the left of the coral blocking the path to the hole. Use BA to try and make the ball stop on the green. After that, collect your Eagle. Make sure you up the distance by a ton in these challenges, the ball crawls most of the time.

I haven't found of a better method for this hole. I wonder if a HiO is possible somehow. With the coral blocking the path of the BB I don't think there's anything else I can try.

HOLE 4
I have no fucking clue what goes on here. I use a power shot, with AB without moving or changing anything and then the remaining distance is between 115 and 125. when I look with the camera, common sense tells me to move the arrow line something like 10 spaces to the left (tapping the D-pad to the desired direction). The ball lands nowhere near the hole. I make the appropiate changes then the ball lands on the other side, I try to make the right changes again and I never land near the hole. No idea. Changes in position of the ball and in Elevation are minimal, I make sure to be in near identical circumstances and it never reacts how it's supposed to. Eagle is easy here though. Getting the Albatross is the challenge.

any other ideas??

I haven't found a use for the Bob-Omb and the other item, can they be used to our advantage??

daydream

Banned
For the vets that missed it: Despite what the last two sets of tourneys suggested, it appears they are still not done with giving out new gear. So don't miss this week's tournaments if you want the Bowser set.

sphinx

the piano man
For the vets that missed it: Despite what the last two sets of tourneys suggested, it appears they are still not done with giving out new gear. So don't miss this week's tournaments if you want the Bowser set.

they still have to give away the Toad's, kamek's, paratroopa's and I think Birdo's

sphinx

the piano man
currently tied with 5 other people with a -12 score in the Fixed Character Tournament.

I am somewhat near getting a -13 to get into 2nd place behind Mav

14 is definitely possible but I need too much luck as is,I am still not very sure how to nail the eagles and HiO.. still have many days for that so I think I'll make some adjustments and secure those and reach -14.

EDIT:

it's quite interesting to see the top 10 people, it's almost the same. Mav, Gon and several other Japanese, there's a Vicenzo from Italy also high

I think I am the only mexican around, I've never seen another mexican flag, no matter the ranking and I am the only latinamerican that manages to make it into the top 10 in these tournies :D

Hey - how did the DLC end up turning out for this game? I bought this at launch, but that was right around when I moved cities and got a full time job. I probably only played a four or five hours of it before it got lost in the shuffle of all the business that was going on in my life at the time, but I'm thinking about diving in soon.

I'm almost certainly down for the DLC pack that has Rosalina (she is my waifu, you see), but is it worth it to just get the whole season pass or are some of the extra courses duds?

sphinx

the piano man
I am leading the European Near-Pin Tournament with 7.93...

it's early in the cycle so everything can change but I'd really love to win a first place for a change. I've been 2nd place twice and 5th once.

Velcro Fly

I only have a few more costume challenges to do!

A week or two ago I was one clutch shot away from getting the Cheep Cheep Lagoon coin gathering one done.

donny2112

I'd like to be in the Top 3 ever. Might have been, by this point, with a couple of the DLC Coin Rush's but haven't looked at the results for them. Last time I was #3 a day before the results, someone passed me up overnight, so not holding out much hope there. Maybe with the dwindling participation in the DLC tournaments, I may be the only one left someday! (o_O)

Velcro Fly

50 weeks later I finally got my 800 coins on the Peach course.

Clutched out the 50 coin mark on the final shot of the 9th hole. Got like 840 or something.

Feels good for the Goomba costume.

daydream

Banned
So, the Toad Gloves have been glitched for EU players. They don't unlock when finishing the tourney. Been going back and forth about this with Nintendo CS, dude on the other end seems a bit dense, unfortunately.

shaowebb

Picked this up and have been idling away time with it recently. Haven't played since the original where a well aimed slice could drive further than a real drive attempt. Not feeling nearly as easy in this one, but still fun. Any tips for getting a good drive outta the rough?

sphinx

the piano man
So, the Toad Gloves have been glitched for EU players. They don't unlock when finishing the tourney. Been going back and forth about this with Nintendo CS, dude on the other end seems a bit dense, unfortunately.

same for americans, it's glitched everywhere.

it will probably appear in the store when the tournaments are over

Velcro Fly

Needed like 150 coins on my last shot of hole #9 of Cheep Cheep Lagoon coin rush

And I got them perfectly. I got two right away and in like 10 fps fashion my ball floated up and got another 50 coin thing.

Holy fuck

donny2112

it will probably appear in the store when the tournaments are over

That is a nice option for stuff that isn't gotten normally! Also as another reason to consider the DLC, it does have its own Star and
Moon
Coins, too. You're
moritz
, right? Finally looked at a few of the more recent results, and this new guy started showing up near the top. (~_^)

sphinx

the piano man
That is a nice option for stuff that isn't gotten normally! Also as another reason to consider the DLC, it does have its own Star and
Moon
Coins, too. You're
moritz
, right? Finally looked at a few of the more recent results, and this new guy started showing up near the top. (~_^)

yep, that's me ^_^

actually right now I am at the top of the Toad Tournament, with -17. I guess (hope?) it will stay like that. Mav and I quickly moved past everyone to -15 and then both to -16, he got there before I did both times so I was 2nd the whole time,

then the game was nice and gave me the other eagle needed to make it to -17 and I managed to keep my cool even though my hands were shaking in the last hole and got the score..

but I already won a 1st place in the last Near-Pin European tournament with 6.86 mts.

This is the first time in a world competition though. we'll see!

Mav is a fantastic player and the winner of the last Mario Golf World Championship with a whooping -27. If he really wanted, he could make it to -18.

Velcro Fly

I'd almost want to watch someone play Mario Golf if they are that good and explain how they are that good.

I take my -16 or -18 on an 18 hole course and am ok with that.

I tried to get some star coins the other day and I was bored senseless. It just doesn't have the same excitement as playing a round does.

donny2112

I'd almost want to watch someone play Mario Golf if they are that good and explain how they are that good.

I take my -16 or -18 on an 18 hole course and am ok with that.

-16/-18 is fine with me, too. I think the really super good scores is about going big on distance (think having a big curve and then going opposite the curve lengthens the drive even more, right?) and perfecting perfect shots so the small hit area isn't a problem. Lots of Power hits, too. Just guessing, though, as I'm fine with a -16/-18 (always try to get at least a -5 on 9-hole and -10 on 18-hole no matter how difficult just to not drive myself crazy, but usually do much better than that), too.

sphinx

the piano man
So I won my first world competition, after winning the Near-pin regional (European) Tournament. that Felt nice.

toadtourny1_zps03qrdk3r.jpg

toadtourny2_zpsghurriqz.jpg

1st place out of 1271 players, woah, never thought I'd ever be good at anything online, against other people

-16/-18 is fine with me, too. I think the really super good scores is about going big on distance (think having a big curve and then going opposite the curve lengthens the drive even more, right?) and perfecting perfect shots so the small hit area isn't a problem. Lots of Power hits, too. Just guessing, though, as I'm fine with a -16/-18 (always try to get at least a -5 on 9-hole and -10 on 18-hole no matter how difficult just to not drive myself crazy, but usually do much better than that), too.

I mainly play the Mario open main Tournaments (either fixed item or fixed character) which are short. I don't have patience to work it up into the top 10 in the castle mii tournaments. Out of those I play the short ones (longest drive, nearest pin, speed golf, etc) and the rest I play once, collect the gear and never look back.

fixed item tournaments (like the current Bob-Omb one) is about using either Star Bowser, Star Mario or the buffed Mii (274 power shot) and making it into "approach" distance and then fine-tuning your shots until you learn where you have to place the ball to get the eagles, Holes-in-one or albatrosses.

I really enjoyed the Toad tournament because it forced us all to us a non-star, non-buffed character and think about strategies to get the good scores.

the "No mistakes-No luck" runthrough on the toad tournament would give you a -14 score, so I had to figure out 3 extra points to beat Mav.

the current "NMNL" Bob-omb tournament runthrough also gives you a -14. I am leading right now with a -16 so I got 2 extra "lucky" points. Mav hasn't played but if he does he'll win, -17 is relatively easy to get (for him, anyway). I really hate the cheep cheep lagoon, everything is so slow and the greens are fucking nasty so I don't mind staying at -16 taking 2nd place this time.

not sure you played the toad tournament but I think I remember how I tried to get my -17, (or how I planned my moves) Bolded are those I managed to actually get to win the tournament

Hole 1
use pipe to the right, land on the green, use the short putt and get an Eagle

Hole 2
plan was to use the mushroom to get a boost to the middle part of the track and then learn where to put the ball to make it go straight into the hole, got albatrosses several times but not on my -17 game

Hole 3
Use the Boomerang (I rarely saw anyone using it!) which will put so very near the green. Either use long Shot putt or approach and hope for an eagle.

Hole 4
change club, go back 2 or 3 distances (can't remember exactly) and use top spin, place the arrow at a VERY specific point, 50% chance of a hole in one

Hole 5
Use Pipe to the left, land just outside the Green, use approach for an eagle

Hole 6
Use Bullet Bill with top spin, ball would often need a boost to make it to the hole

Hole 7
use the next club pressing up in the dpad, use power shot no top spin, and place the arrow to the right

Hole 8
Use pipe to the left, land just outside the green, place the arrowline exactly between two cuadrants to the right, use "Approach" no AA

Hole 9
send the ball to the left with a big power shot and have it use the heart booster. then use power shot with a 3W club at 165 mts, I think. Put arrowline on the rough grass, wind would send it just about the right distance to the hole for an albatross

Portugeezer

wut, no offline multiplayer? was hoping to play this on the plane with a friend.

also, for the Mii stuff, why is there only 3 course championships? Do you unlock more? So far I can only do practice rounds on the others.

To play on the Mario courses you need to do challenges in Mario Golf mode. But yeah there are only four Castle Club courses, and the best courses in general are the DLC courses that are basically a MG64 remake.

There's local multiplayer but not download play IIRC.

Velcro Fly

Just took 6th in America's Double Peoria 11.

I didn't even remember doing that well but I guess I did.

My first top 10 ever!

Is anyone else still doing the weekly tournaments? I gave up on getting all the single player stuff done but I do the weekly tournaments religiously.

daydream

Banned
Just took 6th in America's Double Peoria 11.

I didn't even remember doing that well but I guess I did.

My first top 10 ever!

Is anyone else still doing the weekly tournaments? I gave up on getting all the single player stuff done but I do the weekly tournaments religiously.

i check in once in a while

very irrergularly, though

Couldn't find this game anywhere. Had the Mario Golf itch but finally a couple popped up on Amazon. I'm not big into digital and my 3DS is full from Pokemon Y and ambassador games.

Booted up my N3DSXL And this game is glorious. Doing the coin challenges now but how hard does this game get? I was reading a bit and it seems quite hard.

Any tips? Also I know I'm 2 years late lol

donny2112

Experience really is the best teacher. To start with the basics, though, be sure to play through the Challenges (putting, short game, etc.). Just experiencing different environments and learning how to make adjustments to fit your play style will go a long way to helping you out!

Top Bottom