• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour |OT| Bring Cursing to the Fore with Mario and Friends!

sphinx

the piano man
ok so I need a couple of hints regarding unlocking stuff in this game. I am wanting to unlock everything that is unlockable as a single player (my 3ds gives me errors all the time when trying to go online).

in the Mario game:

.- stroke, play, speed golf and point play is just practice, right? Only Challenges unlock stuff, right?

.-in the Castel Mii game

.- doing the extra courses (all there is available beside the first 3 and Sky Island) are just practice, right? doing them once won't unlock other things.

.- There are Mii game specific challenges that give a costume as a reward. anyone knows how often they appear? I have failed a couple already.

.- Cloths are unlocked randomly after finishing a game/course, right?

.- How do I get a "star" Mii character?

.- what else should I be looking at for unlocking single player stuff??

so far those are my questions.

please spoil everything to me, I don't mind.

donny2112

in the Mario game:

.- stroke, play, speed golf and point play is just practice, right? Only Challenges unlock stuff, right?

Correct.

.-in the Castel Mii game

.- doing the extra courses (all there is available beside the first 3 and Sky Island) are just practice, right? doing them once won't unlock other things.

.- There are Mii game specific challenges that give a costume as a reward. anyone knows how often they appear? I have failed a couple already.

The extra Mario-themed courses are where the Costume Challenges come from. They appear after time or after getting a Challenge medal or two. I found a good pattern is get 1 or 2 Challenge medals, check for a Costume Challenge (spam Mulligans to make sure you get it and don't have to repeat it!). If no Costume Challenge, go get another medal and check again. There are tons of Star Coins and
Moon Coins
, so use that to your advantage to drain out all the Costume Challenges without having to wait.

.- Cloths are unlocked randomly after finishing a game/course, right?

Yeah. Just takes a long time to unlock them all.

.- How do I get a "star" Mii character?

No such thing, unfortunately. :(

.- what else should I be looking at for unlocking single player stuff??

Play the putting, approach, etc. challenges. Think you can't use Mulligans there, but they're not too hard. Final Putting Training is the real challenge, so take notes as you play (and fail) holes, so you'll know how to approach them the next time.

sphinx

the piano man
The extra Mario-themed courses are where the Costume Challenges come from. They appear after time or after getting a Challenge medal or two. I found a good pattern is get 1 or 2 Challenge medals, check for a Costume Challenge (spam Mulligans to make sure you get it and don't have to repeat it!). If no Costume Challenge, go get another medal and check again. There are tons of Star Coins and
Moon Coins
, so use that to your advantage to drain out all the Costume Challenges without having to wait.

what exactly are Challenge Medals and where do I get them? I haven't come across them so far and I have 51 star coins.

Yeah. Just takes a long time to unlock them all.

failing the Sky Island multiple times unlocked plenty of those... will probably go that way if I need to unlock them

Play the putting, approach, etc. challenges. Think you can't use Mulligans there, but they're not too hard. Final Putting Training is the real challenge, so take notes as you play (and fail) holes, so you'll know how to approach them the next time

is this related to my other question? where are these? Mii Castle right?

thanks a lot for the help!!!

donny2112

what exactly are Challenge Medals and where do I get them? I haven't come across them so far and I have 51 star coins.

Mean the Star/
Moon
Coins. Think they're called Challenges in the game?

is this related to my other question? where are these? Mii Castle right?

Mii Castle on the way to Sky Island. They're billed as training, but they get you costumes for clearing them all.

thanks a lot for the help!!!

Welcome! Glad you're enjoying the game! :)

sphinx

the piano man
Mii Castle on the way to Sky Island. They're billed as training, but they get you costumes for clearing them all.

I cleared all of this right now and didn't get a costume :/

do I need to do the practice things with the red toad far to the left? or just the 3 main practice challenges? I unlocked there everything til "endless". maybe I need to play endless at least once? dunno

Chopper

I'm mega lttp with this. Just picked it up. Am I right in assuming there I equipment that is totally unattainable to me cos I missed a load of tournaments?

daydream

Banned
I'm mega lttp with this. Just picked it up. Am I right in assuming there I equipment that is totally unattainable to me cos I missed a load of tournaments?

No, there's definitely some equipment you can just get in the Castle Club shop now. Not sure if that includes stuff like the Callaway gear.

donny2112

Tournament equipment that was missed shows up periodically in the Castle Club gift shop. If you just started, it'll be a while before you can buy all that stuff, though. Have fun! :D

sphinx

the piano man
Holy shit.... sky land moon coin Birdie challenges...

I think I'll open a thread once I get them.

The only plus is the whole shop unlocking and the costume challenges

sphinx

the piano man
Think I've given up with the moon coins. They're a bit too tedious for me. >.>

which ones are annoying you?

I've done the first 30 moon coins with relative ease, Sky island is hard but was lucky to finish the -9 score challenge with 2 or 3 chip-ins, I've already beaten star diddy there.

the one-shot one-putt challenge though, I've managed to do 7 holes a couple of times but I suck at guessing where the ball will land when the air blows in certain angles, so I need good air conditions.

what motivates me is that after 10 or so tries, I unlock custom challenges so there's progress.

Velcro Fly

I got two costume challenges done this weekend! Boo and Reznor!

Also got a 62 on the point play challenge which was good for 24th overall. I missed a couple chip ins for Eagle and another Eagle putt that would have probably put me into the top 15. Could be getting that 10th gold trophy finally.

I will be sad when the online tournaments end. I play this game every friday night/saturday afternoon doing tournaments. I might even hit 100 hours by the end. Just a fantastic game.

donny2112

I still haven't got a hole in one in the game.

Managed to get it on the demo though.

Play Sky Island Hole 1 over and over. One of the modes with it keeps the wind the same, so you can figure out exactly what you have to do to get a Hole-in-One. Then just hit it three times. You don't have to complete the course to have the Hole-in-One count toward the costume counter. Just start the 2nd hole, and then quit.

sphinx

the piano man
so for the first time I considered going to the corner with Kamek and see what's all about.

I wanted help with the sky island moon challenge, which I can't win no matter how many times I try.

he said he wanted to take 10'000 coins, just to give me a thing (the mulligan) that will let me retry a shot.....

is he fucking kidding me???? so I pay that amount of coins, I fuck up both shots and I just lost 10k coins in one single move right there??

besides, i've barely made like 70'000 in my hole playing time, no way I pay anything that costs so much

donny2112

If you use a Mulligan and still mess up the hole, hit Home Menu and close the game. Ta-Da! Mulligan (and 10K coins) saved! Best to go into those things with like 5 or 6 Mulligans, just in case, though. Play the tournaments a lot (especially the Coin Rushes), and you'll get more coins. Back when the game first released, could clear 10K coins per run-through of a coin-rush over 18 holes. Now, they've shortened it to 9 holes, but you can still clear 5-6K per round.

sphinx

the piano man
after bein stuck for more than a week with Sky Island's, Moon Coin One-On, One.Putt Challenge, I finally beat it all by myself with no mulligans, some minutes ago,

my hand was shaking on the last hole but I somehow nailed it... damn, fucking camelot/nintendo, why why why.

Is it the hardest thing in the game??? or are there worse things for me in store with this god damned game??

so addicting but so fucking hard.

donny2112

after bein stuck for more than a week with Sky Island's, Moon Coin One-On, One.Putt Challenge, I finally beat it all by myself with no mulligans, some minutes ago,

my hand was shaking on the last hole but I somehow nailed it...

:O

*bows*

"We're not worthy! We're not worthy!"

Awesome effort! I didn't find anything else as trying as the Sky Island 1-1 (all 3 of them across various areas) personally, so hopefully you'll be coasting from here. :)

sphinx

the piano man
:O

*bows*

"We're not worthy! We're not worthy!"

Awesome effort! I didn't find anything else as trying as the Sky Island 1-1 (all 3 of them across various areas) personally, so hopefully you'll be coasting from here. :)

Holes 10 to 14 were manageable, I'd nail the birdies 80% of the time in those.

from Hole 15 on, that's when shit hits the fan.

Hole 15 is possibly the biggest asshole, it's the one with a green that looks like a narrow thin patch across your view and guessing the distance plus adding top spin or back spin seemed completely random.....

Hole 16 was also bad but not as bad. As long as you understood you had to use back spin unless the wind is directly against you, (and even then, I failed every single attempt in which I didn't use back spin), everything would be fine.

Hole 17 and 18 are a bit easier than this. My pain and struggle was mainly caused by holes 15 and 16, fuck them

sphinx

the piano man
er, my game just stopped unlocking gear. I searched for the problem in Gamefaqs and yeah it seems the game just makes it hard to unlock gear past a certain point.

problem is, for most people it happens when they are missing a couple of clubs or balls.

I checked my wardrobe and I missing like 50 pieces of equipment, specially the "right side" of the shop, caps, shoes, etc.. seems a bit early so I thought maybe they are unlocked playing online? I can't play online right now cause my 3DS gives me errors whenever I try to go online in-game

Velcro Fly

Viewing results for tournaments that ended way back in November. Tired of my results being full! Between that and competing in this week's tournaments it has taken me much of the afternoon. Did complete another costume challenge getting the Petey Piranha one.

daydream

Banned
The World Tournament of this week's batch carries the first repeat item (the Gameboy outfit). I'm going from memory here but aren't they missing a Game & Watch outfit, still? Would be surprising if they left that one out.

donny2112

I checked my wardrobe and I missing like 50 pieces of equipment, specially the "right side" of the shop, caps, shoes, etc.. seems a bit early so I thought maybe they are unlocked playing online? I can't play online right now cause my 3DS gives me errors whenever I try to go online in-game

I might've played online once, and it was all unlocked before all the
Moon
Coins were completed, I think. It's been a while. I'm pretty sure everything (or almost everything) is unlocked by the time you complete all the single-player stuff and just have tournament stuff left to do, though.

Velcro Fly

Ingame when you access the tourney terminal. There's a "Schedule" button.

holy shit 97 hours played and I never even checked that

yeah that's exciting that tourneys are going to keep going.

this game is behind only animal crossing and streetpass mii plaza for play time on my 3DS.

sphinx

the piano man
I might've played online once, and it was all unlocked before all the
Moon
Coins were completed, I think. It's been a while. I'm pretty sure everything (or almost everything) is unlocked by the time you complete all the single-player stuff and just have tournament stuff left to do, though.

this is definitely not gonna happen in my case

I have like 12 moon coins to get and still over 50 pieces of equipment to unlock. For some reason the game just stopped unlocking.

EDIT: Well, I think I know what happened.... since I unlocked all the custom challenges by repeating the the sky Island moon challenges, I stopped playing the Mii Castle stuff and proceeded to get the rest of the moon coins. It was there that the game stopped unlocking.

today I decided to give it a try in the 18 Sky island challenge and voilá, the game starts unlocks a pair of clubs. I went back to moon coins and it continues unlocking!... so it means, if the game stops unlocking, go to the "other game" and problem solved.

sphinx

the piano man
sorry for the double post but I had to report:

I fixed my internet router and got rid of some restrictions that prevented me from playing online with my 3ds, what happened is that after a one time in-game update, a shitton of stuff got unlocked in the equipment store. Everything I was missing, in fact, there are no more question marks now. Glad to know that was it!

I played a tournament but I don't quite understand how that works but from what I gathered it's: you do the course and the tournament stays open for a fixed amount of days, you upload your score and wait until it's over and then there will be a ceremony. Is that right?

plenty of coin opportunities here. Easily the best way to get coins to buy gear.

donny2112

I played a tournament but I don't quite understand how that works but from what I gathered it's: you do the course and the tournament stays open for a fixed amount of days, you upload your score and wait until it's over and then there will be a ceremony. Is that right?

Yep. The first time you see the results, you have to sit through a presentation ceremony (at least some of it, before you can skip a lot of it). After that, the results are in your records, and you can lock some of them to not age out. The Castle Club tournament trophies go in your trophy room with higher level trophies pushing out lower level ones over time. The Mario Club tournaments are much more plentiful, but there's no trophy room for them. Enjoy the 4 "major" tournaments! REALLY wicked course changes! :lol

plenty of coin opportunities here. Easily the best way to get coins to buy gear.

Yes, they are. :)

sphinx

the piano man
Hey Donny, can you give me a hand? :) what the fastest way to get money/coins??

I have plenty of gear to buy and no money :-( I tried a coin rush online but I get like 1k, after clearing the course.

what's this 5k/6k you were talking about a couple of posts back?

donny2112

what's this 5k/6k you were talking about a couple of posts back?

DLC Coin Rushes. Each week alternates between a DLC Coin Run and a DLC Stroke Play tournament. They give you 6 Gold Flowers, all items on the course are Gold Flowers, and lots of 50/100 coins pieces floating around. Can get 5/6K per 9 holes with that and then replay the round again and again to get more. The Character specific Coin Rushes usually top off at ~1K, yes. If you didn't buy the DLC, maybe you could setup a 9-hole course for Stroke Play practice with coins enabled and custom items set to Gold Flowers? (Not sure if they allow Gold Flowers, though.)

sphinx

the piano man
woah... I wasn't ever trying very hard but I finished the 18 hole Sky Island challenge, no mulligans (got no coins for that)

the wind moving in the 0-5 range REALLY helped matters, I found it was rather easy to plan my shots. Hole 18 I really fucked up but the game was kind and made the ball land near the hole.... now I am kind of bummed. That was the last single player challenge I had to overcome and now that it's done, I guess I am actually done with the game, in a certain way.

Online games are fun and well done by nintendo but they take forever to update so I guess nintendo wants to let as much people as possible participate and at the same time keep people coming weeks later.. I was hoping to get done with the game when I completed my set of gear and equipment but seems unlikely in the short term,

DLC Coin Rushes. Each week alternates between a DLC Coin Run and a DLC Stroke Play tournament. They give you 6 Gold Flowers, all items on the course are Gold Flowers, and lots of 50/100 coins pieces floating around. Can get 5/6K per 9 holes with that and then replay the round again and again to get more. The Character specific Coin Rushes usually top off at ~1K, yes. If you didn't buy the DLC, maybe you could setup a 9-hole course for Stroke Play practice with coins enabled and custom items set to Gold Flowers? (Not sure if they allow Gold Flowers, though.)

mmh no coins for me then, I don't want to by the DLC right now and I really don't see myself grinding the courses for sub 1k coin results when just 1 piece of gear costs above 5k,

Nintendo wants us to get them as rewards for playing online, I get it.

not sure what I am going to do. I kind of want to get near that australian "Mav" motherfucker lol he wins everything way ahead of everyone.

donny2112

Yeah, Mav repeats near the top a lot. I'm usually glad if I can get in top 50/60 worldwide and get a gold trophy. Think I might've been near top-10 once in some tournament or another, but if you're good enough to be giving some of those top guys runs for their money, go for it! :)

sphinx

the piano man
I noticed that wind conditions remain the same every time you play the online tournaments

my guess is that Mav and those in that range devote time to write down on paper exact infos (clubs and distances) until they nail the eagles in all par-4 courses. hole-in-ones on par-3 courses and so on.

That's the only way I can see them doing it without cheating.

I tried to get,my mii to the highest drive possible and it went around 250 normal and 271 with a power shot, but strong draw and bad sweet spots and control demand from me perfect timing, which I do not have so it didn't bring me nearer my goal of nailing eagles left and right.

tomorrow ends the current worldwide tournament and I am already going to get a gold trophy but I am -7 points away from Mav, he's sitting at -26 I think, I am -19.

are we all going to get the coins as a reward? or only the number 1 player?

donny2112

I tried to get,my mii to the highest drive possible and it went around 250 normal and 271 with a power shot, but strong draw and bad sweet spots and control demand from me perfect timing, which I do not have so it didn't bring me nearer my goal of nailing eagles left and right.

tomorrow ends the current worldwide tournament and I am already going to get a gold trophy but I am -7 points away from Mav, he's sitting at -26 I think, I am -19.

are we all going to get the coins as a reward? or only the number 1 player?

Yeah, I prefer to give myself lots of leeway to not be exact, if possible, so kept my Mii topped out at 250. Limits hitting super long-balls, but I'm not tearing my hair out in bunkers/rough, either. :) Yep, everyone gets coins for the online tournaments. Higher ups get 20-30K or more, but even ranked way down get some hundreds/thousand. I participate in most all the tournaments, and the coins really start to add up after a while, especially if you're not needing to try with Mulligans anymore. Congrats on getting through all 18 of Sky Island without them! There are occasional online tournaments of 1-on/1-putt on Sky Island that rank you on how many holes you can clear before failing. You can go past 18 with that, but it just starts you over at Hole #1 with stronger winds. :eek:

samn

Just bought the game and the DLC pack, not that interested in online, I just want to figure out where all the single player content is. This Toadstool Club thing mode where I walk around as a Mii is one of the most confusing menus I've ever used in a game.

donny2112

Most of the meatiness of single-player is in the Mario section with the Coin challenges. Need to train up on the Castle Club before really going into that, though. Start with winning the 4 major Castle Club tournaments before getting heavy into the Coin Challenges, would be my suggestion.

sphinx

the piano man
Just bought the game and the DLC pack, not that interested in online, I just want to figure out where all the single player content is. This Toadstool Club thing mode where I walk around as a Mii is one of the most confusing menus I've ever used in a game.

exactly this is was happened to me... when I started I was like ... "uhm, where is the game??"

I would suggest tackling the different objectives in the following order:

1.- Practices. Go straight up ahead in the castle then turn right. finish all 3 them til you've unlocked the "endless" mode.

2.- Win the Forest, Sea and Mountain courses.

at this point you want to go to the "Mario" side of the game

3.-Start doing all the Star challenges,

this unlocks different things,
including special challenges which makes doing all the extra courses (peach garden, donkey kong, etc) worth your time. This sucks but those courses do not give any reward by themselves. you can play them, beat them, no trophy or anything.

4.- after you've beaten all Star challenges, something unlocks, go do that,

after that, I think that's all you can do in the single player game.

in my opinion, you are done with all things single player when you've got all costumes for your Mii, they are found in the menu (press start) and select change outfit, to the far right there's all the reward costumes you've gotten,

daydream

Banned
Guess they're going with full-on repeats now for the tournaments - we've already gotten the Bullet Bill set and WiiU Combo.

Probably gonna skip the current set of tourneys in light of this.

sphinx

the piano man
what are your personal records on that bullet bill challenge???

I am currently in 4th place....

I've been THIS fucking near getting a -17 result but either I fuck up or the game won't let me. There still some more days so I think I'd achieve that at least.

if I were a robot that wouldn't feel pressure, I'd already be in -19 or more, easily

I want to know why I can never get above the japanese and the "mav" guy, I have finished several times on -16, I have updated thinking maybe I'll be above one of those two but I have never changed positions and that's been always the case with other results.

When I was doing plenty of -15, I was always last place, no matter what.

what's the criteria here? I thought it could be strokes or distance but I can't always be the worst in any given group...right?

donny2112

what are your personal records on that bullet bill challenge???

I think -10 or something. I'm never going to win the strokes competitions, so I just get a good enough score and go on. Particularly since even if you can tie a higher scoring persion, you'll be below them because your score came later than theirs. Now Coin compeititions, I expect a little more out of, so I might replay them a few times if I think I can do significantly better. Also, less likely to get shafted by the "time entered" criteria, since it's very unlikely to end up with exactly the same score.

In the end, this is for fun, so just go with what floats your boat. :)

I am currently in 4th place....

Way to go!!!

When I was doing plenty of -15, I was always last place, no matter what.

what's the criteria here? I thought it could be strokes or distance but I can't always be the worst in any given group...right?

For stroke competitions, the ordering is 1) score and then 2) time entered. Therefore a -15 on the first day will always be ahead of a -15 on a later day, since it was entered earlier in the competition period. Don't think it takes into account anything else when determining the rankings.

Top Bottom