• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 7 |OT| Rosalina is Fat, BBW Lovers Unite!

Excellent trolling from Jim Sterling again: 5/10

How is that trolling? He backs up his opinion well, and while I'll still buy and I'm sure love the game, I'm sure there's tons of people tired of the series.

And this is true of 9/10s of the cases where someone dismisses a review because they disagree with the score, but if you actually read the review he says he considers it average, not bad.

Is the Mario Kart Channel just built into the game and not something you install to the console like the Wii version? That's disappointing.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
It's an app that is installed onto the start menu. Don't quote me on that I might be thinking of something else.
I've got too much shit on my start menu already. I really hate not having folders. Different pages isn't the same as folders. :(

VinLAURiA

Banned
As much as I'm glad that Her Tallness finally appeared in another game, it's sort of disappointing that Waluigi is all-but confirmed missing this game. I mean, considering the amount of popularity the guy's amassed since his previous Mario Kart appearance, what with BitF and all.

You can do a pretty nice shortcut for the last curve of the SNES Mario Circuit 2 actually.

While hang gliding, land on the yellow bumper to the left and dive into the goal from there. Saves you some precious time.

PsZiu.png

Hooollly shit. My gameshop is getting Mario Kart 7 in tomorrow!

And I'm getting Tales of the Abyss today.

So goood :D

Are you in Europe or whatever? I'm in the US and I keep getting excited when people mention getting it on Wednesday or Thursday and then I remember that it's not being released simultaneously everywhere.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
5/10 from destructoid, is that Mr Sterling?
clicks link...yes yes it is....
so he is trolling for hits??
either way still gonna get this

Boken

Banned
Haha! Hopefully "HueHueHuhe" means "JK," but if not, kudos for being honest about it at least.

It's half a joke. I read the bad reviews and can see where some of them are coming from, but they will not dissuade me from buying the game. And since I've alreayd pre-ordered the game, I like the good reviews because it helps validate my choice to buy the game!

EDIT: wtf is up with the mii's voice?

It's half a joke. I read the bad reviews and can see where some of them are coming from, but they will not dissuade me from buying the game. And since I've alreayd pre-ordered the game, I like the good reviews because it helps validate my choice to buy the game!

EDIT: wtf is up with the mii's voice?

I never understand why people do that. You already decided to buy the game, it seems pretty damn unlikely that you won't like it. If you're having fun with the game, which is kind of the point of owning it, why do you need positive reviews on top of that to validate your choice?

BowieZ

Banned
Any chances of pre-orders being available (in Aus) a few days earlier like with 3D Land or was that a rare occurrence?

Boken

Banned
I never understand why people do that. You already decided to buy the game, it seems pretty damn unlikely that you won't like it. If you're having fun with the game, which is kind of the point of owning it, why do you need positive reviews on top of that to validate your choice?

It always feels nice to see that other people enjoy the game you chose to buy?
You seem like a real debbie downer right now.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
You can do a pretty nice shortcut for the last curve of the SNES Mario Circuit 2 actually.

While hang gliding, land on the yellow bumper to the left and dive into the goal from there. Saves you some precious time.

PsZiu.png

Uh...what character am I looking at here? 0.o

Is that a Swooper-based kart?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
How is that trolling? He backs up his opinion well, and while I'll still buy and I'm sure love the game, I'm sure there's tons of people tired of the series.

And this is true of 9/10s of the cases where someone dismisses a review because they disagree with the score, but if you actually read the review he says he considers it average, not bad.

This only highlights the problem with numerical scores for games yet again. And the problem that most writers in video games can't tell the difference between critique and statements of taste.

The real question is: did Jim Sterling give Modern Warfare 3 a 5/10 because it was 100% as old and unchanged as Mario Kart 7?

The problem with reviewing a game like Mario Kart and sticking a number on it, is that Mario Kart, like Modern Warfare, exists to service a specific purpose. It's the new MK game for its platform, designed to maximize the features of its platform. Which by all accounts, is exactly what it does. If one is tired of Mario Kart, one is not going to be excited by its existence.

But for the Mario Kart audience, the game appears to be exactly what is wanted and heaven for them. So, how do you communicate that with a number? Numbers are useless.

Why would you even write a review and take the time and care to address people who are tired of Mario Kart? They're not going to buy it, they're probably not even going to read your review. Reviews of games that are clearly foisted upon a disinterested reviewer are usually the worst reviews of all.

JeTmAn81

Are you in Europe or whatever? I'm in the US and I keep getting excited when people mention getting it on Wednesday or Thursday and then I remember that it's not being released simultaneously everywhere.

What is the deal with early release in the U.S., anyway? Is there any rhyme and reason to when and where it will show up early?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This only highlights the problem with numerical scores for games yet again. And the problem that most writers in video games can't tell the difference between critique and statements of taste.

The real question is: did Jim Sterling give Modern Warfare 3 a 5/10 because it was 100% as old and unchanged as Mario Kart 7?

The problem with reviewing a game like Mario Kart and sticking a number on it, is that Mario Kart, like Modern Warfare, exists to service a specific purpose. It's the new MK game for its platform, designed to maximize the features of its platform. Which by all accounts, is exactly what it does. If one is tired of Mario Kart, one is not going to be excited by its existence.

But for the Mario Kart audience, the game appears to be exactly what is wanted and heaven for them. So, how do you communicate that with a number? Numbers are useless.
Pretty much what PC advisor said in their review:

PC ADVISOR said:
At this point, I think everyone's opinion on Mario Kart is pretty much set, and I don't think Mario Kart 7 will change anyone's mind one way or another. It is the quintessential Nintendo party game, and a recommended purchase if you happen to have a friend or two with a 3DS, which should be a bit more likely now that Cyber Monday is over.

watershed

Banned
What I find interesting about the Destructoid review is that the reviewer seemed to be tired of the MK series in general long before he played MK7. His negativity seems to be directed towards the series itself and not the specifics of this new game. Is it odd that a website would have a gamer who clearly no longer enjoys a series review the newest game in said series? Does Destructoid only have one reviewer?

GeekyDad

What I find interesting about the Destructoid review is that the reviewer seemed to be tired of the MK series in general long before he played MK7. His negativity seems to be directed towards the series itself and not the specifics of this new game. Is it odd that a website would have a gamer who clearly no longer enjoys a series review the newest game in said series? Does Destructoid only have one reviewer?

No, that's what Destructoid does. It's their...thing. In a family of three kids (Kotaku, Joystiq, and Destructoid), it's usually what the least-favorite kid has to resort to. Take it with a grain salt, or feel free to discard it altogether -- I did.

I'm a huge MK fan and 7 doesn't appear to be "heaven" to me. There's a wider range of opinion here than "I'm sick of the game" and "This is the greatest thing ever!" I'm sure I'll have a ton of fun with the game, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't prefer a MK with more new tricks up its sleeves.

I get what you're saying though, and it really is a case where the score is meaningless. It totally depends on whether the reviewer is grading based on how fun it is compared to other games or how new it feels compared to other MKs.

Personally if I were a reviewer I'd go with rating based on how new it feels because people who will love the game likely already know it, and grading the game a 10 doesn't really inform anyone.

Sorry for the double post but I'm on my phone.

Why they go out of their way to assign someone who openly loves the series to review it? There's obviously other people who are disappointed that it's "just another Mario Kart." Why shouldn't someone with that mindset be allowed to review the game? What use are reviews if you have to already like the game in order to be able to review it?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm a huge MK fan and 7 doesn't appear to be "heaven" to me. There's a wider range of opinion here than "I'm sick of the game" and "This is the greatest thing ever!" I'm sure I'll have a ton of fun with the game, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't prefer a MK with more new tricks up its sleeves.

I get what you're saying though, and it really is a case where the score is meaningless. It totally depends on whether the reviewer is grading based on how fun it is compared to other games or how new it feels compared to other MKs.

Personally if I were a reviewer I'd go with rating based on how new it feels because people who will love the game likely already know it, and grading the game a 10 doesn't really inform anyone.

Don't take "heaven" too literally, I guess. I more meant that to the audience the game is meant to service, a new entry that hits the primary points is guaranteed to make them pretty happy.

Don't take "heaven" too literally, I guess. I more meant that to the audience the game is meant to service, a new entry that hits the primary points is guaranteed to make them pretty happy.
Right, but again, even if they are satisfied they still may preferred a more heavily remixed MK more.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
shame I have a bunch of shit to do tomorrow, since it's getting DELIVERED.

I'm too slow on 3dland. I only just got to the second half of the game...

Top Bottom