• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 7 |OT| Rosalina is Fat, BBW Lovers Unite!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, it is probably mostly known for being on CPU characters, but it is fully possible to include it in multiplayer as well. That if you're behind, then your speed is increased, so that you can get a chance to catch up.

I don't think Mario Kart DS or Wii did that, so hopefully not.

Yeah, it is probably mostly known for being on CPU characters, but it is fully possible to include it in multiplayer as well. That if you're behind, then your speed is increased, so that you can get a chance to catch up.
Isn't it already like this in the form of Bullet Bills and Stars and whatnot?

udivision

I can't believe half of the tracks have different names in different regions!

Cheep Cheep Cape - Cheep Cheep Lagoon
Wuhu Island Loop - Wuhu Loop
Melody Motorway - Music Park
Alpine Pass - Rock Rock Mountain
Piranha Plant Pipeway - Piranha Plant Slide
Wario's Galleon - Wario's Shipyard
Koopa City - Neo Bowser City
Wuhu Mountain Loop - Maka Wuhu

WHY THE FUCK
That is... really stupid.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

It existed for items at least. Getting a Bullet Bill or Lightning happened far more often when you are in 7th or 8th place.

For MKDS anyways, haven't played the wii version much.

WHY THE FUCK

LOL @ "Rock Rock Mountain"
s9yXg.gif

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It existed for items at least. Getting a Bullet Bill or Lightning happened far more often when you are in 7th or 8th place.

For MKDS anyways, haven't played the wii version much.

Well, that's just how Mario Kart in general works. I don't think you ever got a constant speed boost or super quick recovery like the CPU though.

test_account

XP-39C²
That is cool :) I havnt played those games online, so i wasnt sure.

Isn't it already like this in the form of Bullet Bills and Stars and whatnot?
Yeah, in one way i guess you can say that :) But i dont mind this as much, it ads more of a strategic element to the game. It would be nice if you could block those power-ups though.

I've noticed a fair amount of "haven't played the Wii version" in this thread.

You guys...
I have played it, but only at my sister's place one evening :)

udivision

Well, brace yourselves if it turns out the Wii one is superior. The online community is active, so there are no problems getting in on a game if you want to correct your horrible mistake.

test_account

XP-39C²
Well, brace yourselves if it turns out the Wii one is superior. The online community is active, so there are no problems getting in on a game if you want to correct your horrible mistake.
Hehe, for me it is too many games and too little time unfortunately :( But cool that the game still have players online anyway =)

This version seems to have gotten rid of the absurd items in the Wii version and I like that the courses are narrower.

It seems it plays quite similarly though.

I am sure the online in this one will be just as good.

I was worried at first that there wouldn't be a big online presence at launch for this game but the SM3DL numbers eased those fears. 3DS owners are in that stage of the consoles life where we're just clamoring for games, I think.

BowieZ

Banned

WHY THE FUCK
For those keeping score, the differing French names translate to:

Daisy Valley (not Daisy Hills)
Wuhu Coastline
Musical Track
Piranha Sewer
Koopopolis
Wuhu Peak

bolded ones are cooler

I've noticed a fair amount of "haven't played the Wii version" in this thread.

You guys...

Haven't had any disposable income for a while now, so I had to skip out on the Wii version. Now that 7 is right around the corner, I don't really have a reason to pick it up now. XP

Sinthetic

^
There will have to be another game entirely called that, but let's save that chat for another day! ;D

Getting really excited about this now, it better be addictive. Ah, of course it will be.

udivision

Haven't had any disposable income for a while now, so I had to skip out on the Wii version. Now that 7 is right around the corner, I don't really have a reason to pick it up now. XP

Oh yes you do.
Different Tracks + Bikes + Different Characters + Large Online Community + More accessbiel Local Multi-Player = MK7 doesn't really replace MKWii

What is a MK game but the sum of it's parts? Change the parts change the game.

Oh yes you do.
Different Tracks + Bikes + Different Characters + Large Online Community + More accessbiel Local Multi-Player = MK7 doesn't really replace MKWii

What is a MK game but the sum of it's parts? Change the parts change the game.

How badly has homebrew affected MKWii online?

watershed

Banned
I'm not sure if this is old or not but in Vol. 2 of the MK7 Iwata Asks they talk about how Nintendo originally wanted communities to be a built in 3ds feature, not sure how that would work:
Iwata: One feature is you can race people on the Internet over and over even if you haven't exchanged Friend Codes with them. What was your original inspiration for making the Community?

Yabuki: At first, we wanted to include a feature where friends could gather like this directly on Nintendo 3DS, but schedule-wise it was tight and wouldn't fit. So I said, "I'll do it with Mario Kart 7." Having said that, I knew I had to think of something and drew a rough plan on a big sheet of paper.

And about setting bombs only in online battle mode for a community which is the closest we'll get to DD's bomb battle mode:
Shiraiwa: Battles are pretty intense when you play with the rule that only Bob-ombs appear! There was a minigame called "Bob-omb Blast" in Mario Kart: Double Dash!! It's as fun as that! The programmers gathered and played during test-play.

I'm definitely gonna join a bombs only battle community.

I'm really excited for this game to come out. It sucks that the multiplayer is not like mario kart 64 multiplayer I enjoyed playing with my brothers.

Best quality offscreen videos:
Music Park: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfAqg7cMdrY
Honeybee Village (Battle): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbAXgwCwL7U
Big Donut (Battle): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiCeZ2BPlwc

EDIT: lol I just realized what Music Park is based off of. Awesome!

Maybe I'm just reading into things, but after watching the Big Donut vid, I get the feeling that communities can determine which items can be used in battle modes and not just races

watershed

Banned
Great read! Should be in the OP.

So the game runs at 60fps? Is that maintained while using 3D? I've glanced at some of the reviews but didn't see that mentioned.

Yes. Vol. 2 of the MK7 Iwata asks spends quite a lot of time discussing how they set 60FPS with 3D with 8 players online as a target goal and they never deviated from that.

Edit: Found here: http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/mario-kart-7/1/0

@lazybones18: yes you can and they talk about it in the Iwata Asks as well.
Shiraiwa: Battles are pretty intense when you play with the rule that only Bob-ombs appear! There was a minigame called "Bob-omb Blast" in Mario Kart: Double Dash!! It's as fun as that! The programmers gathered and played during test-play.

Top Bottom