• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 7 Review Thread: First Reviews In

I don't like reading these reviews because I do not want to buy a 3DS, at least not now, when I cannot possibly afford it. Between this and SM3DL...I don't know. Damn. I was kinda hoping they were both crappy games just to be keep hype levels squashed.

I also do have to wonder what MK7 will mean for the future. Maybe they should have put all the effort from this one into the Wii U version instead...

No Delfino Square, but the Lightning Cup has the greatest Mario Kart track of all time...

Yeah, I agree.
Dino Dino Jungle
is pretty great.

Sydle

So they discarded all the shit from the shitfest of Mario Kart Wii.

I'm very interested. Between this and Marioland a 3DS seems like a solid purchase.

Zomba13

Dunno if I'll get this one. Never liked a Mario Kart all that much since 64. DD was good with friends though.

I think I just suck. I played some Wii one online with a friend not too long ago and she slaughtered me. I was like, near constantly last place. I can actually win against people in MK64 :(

Give in! Mario land is awesome. And playing OoT in 3D on a handheld is fantastic.

I'm moving to the USA in April so my PAL system and games would have to go, asides from a redesign for battery life, this is why I'm holding out. Fuck you Nintendo for enforcing regions.

Kerub

Banned
I'm moving to the USA in April so my PAL system and games would have to go, asides from a redesign for battery life, this is why I'm holding out. Fuck you Nintendo for enforcing regions.

Oh, that sucks.

But when you move in April, RE:Revelations and probably Kid Icarus should be released.

Maybe a price drop until then too?

Kerub

Banned
Firmware update with 3D video recording and Mario Kart 7 in the same week.

th6ono1hw.gif

It's funny, this CVG review was the first review I've read in years! I forgot how much I love some good Mario Kart

Many shortcuts were so well hidden that we found ourselves abandoning the race in mid-flight to stop dead in our tracks, hop around on the spot and retrace our steps so we could finally find out where the heck the shortcut's entrance funnels out from

I've missed this sense of exploration since the 64 version. This has me very excited.

How better to start off a round of DS Waluigi Pinball, for example, than with an eight-way joust in the sky?

the explanation of the gliders has put my worries to rest, as we now basically have what I've wanted all along, CONTROL IN THE AIR!!!! Finally!!!

The time trial portion of the game looks like it'll be a particularly compelling competition this time around, thanks to robust online leaderboards and kart customisation options which allow you to mix and match the various car chassis and wheels

Time trials worth playing? Yes!!

Mistle

Can't wait for this. The 3DS is going to be such a great console with time. Feels like the GC era all over again (which is a good thing to me, haha)

Neiteio

I've been raging about this in numerous threads now and I'll continue here: There is NO single-player Verus mode option in this game. What the hell, Nintendo?

For those who don't know, the U.S. website and a reporter with a review copy at GameXplain have both confirmed that Versus mode is multiplayer only. That means that you can't just pick your favorite track and race against seven CPUs with items and everything. Nope. If you want to race against a full field of CPUs with items and everything, you'll have to stick to Grand Prixs, which means you'll have to play four courses at a time.

So you want to play Rainbow Road and just Rainbow Road, firing shells and lobbing fireballs at the CPU as you race for first? Too bad. You'll have to play through DK Jungle, Rosalina's Ice World and Bowser's Castle first. I hope you have 15 minutes to spare before you get to the course you wanted to play. So much for it being a pick-up-and-play title.

It's simply mind-boggling they took out single-player Versus. Mario Kart DS had it. Mario Kart Wii had it. Even Super Circuit had it in the form of Quick Race. In MKDS you could even tally points from course to couse or set the track selection to random. Now we're back to the Dark Ages of MK64 and Double Dash where the only way to race against the CPU is to go through an entire freaking cup.

It totally limits our ability to explore these wonderful courses in anything but Time Trials. I know many people will play online all the time, but what about when you're, y'know, on the road out of range of Wi-Fi? Or when you just want to play a single track by yourself because you have time for one track and not a whole cup? Imagine if [insert game here] made you play three levels you didn't want to play before letting you play the level you want to play, and it did this everytime you played.

The guy at GameXplain has unlocked everything. Every character -- there is no Waluigi, btw -- and every mode. And there is no way to do single-player Versus. Even if you go into multiplayer, you still have to confirm multiple human players before advancing.

What the hell, Nintendo? I have no doubt that at its core this is the best Mario Kart yet, and it's certainly one of my most anticipated games this year (and this year has been AWESOME for us multi-plats), but this blundering design oversight cripples the game's potential and will forever sully it as, "It's great, but oh what it could've been."

I guess the one small comfort here is that at least ALL the courses are great, which means having to play through a few to get to the one you want won't be so much a chore as it will take up time...

even if this game got a 5/10 avg i would still buy it just because its mario kart. its going to be very hard to fuck this game up for me

Kerub

Banned
New Rainbow Road is only
1 lap, with 3 segments

Honestly... we get it. You don't need to keep complaining in every Mario Kart 7 thread. It is annoying.

Close enough. Not being able to play vs mode in single player though..that's a big problem!

Gaborn

Welp, so much for the 3DS being doomed. Kind of expected reviews but excellent to have confirmation. It's amazing how consistently awesome the Mario Kart series is.

Please stop with the ridiculous spoiler tagging. It's a racing game. I hope you guys don't plan on keeping this up all throughout the OT too. It makes reading threads so annoying, especially when reading on the 3DS browser. Speaking of which, is anyone working on an OT already?

Esiquio

SNES RAINBOW ROAD
= HYPEEEE!!!! I'm really, really, really...I mean REALLY hoping for DLC in this game. And by that, I mean more SNES tracks. Like every single one.

Top Bottom