• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 7 Review Thread: First Reviews In

Ezalc

I'd love to have the N64 version back in there.

I was just watching videos of the old Rainbow Roads. I have to say that the N64 one is definitely the easiest one out of all of them. I think it'd need to get a redesign to make it more challenging. Probably my favorite RR music though.

check out this rainbow road gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZCTcU7ib5Q

handling looks kinda stiff imo

687474703a2f2f6f636f62696567612e6f72672f77702d636f6e74656e742f75706c6f6164732f323031302f31312f506f6b65725f46616365437a797374652e706e67

clemenx

Banned
I'm torn between this or Mario 3D land for my December DS purchase D: I'll probably wait less than a month to buy the other one but I don't know which one I want more.

I'm torn between this or Mario 3D land for my December DS purchase D: I'll probably wait less than a month to buy the other one but I don't know which one I want more.

It's going to be tough for this game to surpass the quality of Mario 3D Land but I'd go with this one if you are a fan at all of the series as it's going to be almost endlessly replayable.

Both are essential to 3DS owners though I'd say unless you aren't fond of each series.

I just hope there is a way to maintain 1st place, on Wii I always get dragged down online it seem like the races were rather luck and chance than skill.
That's actually not right. It's pretty easy to maintain 1st place in Mario Kart Wii online, if you get away early on. Practice in time trial mode a lot and you will see how easy it can be - even after you get stopped by one or two blue shells.

Codeblue

I'd get Kart since the community here will be strongest at launch.

You can't go wrong either way though.

Well I hope coins have more effect than just serve as in-game currency for unlocks.

I don't get this one:
Eurogamer said:
But played at 150cc or online, that fine balance between exasperation and glory can be keenly felt, the game asking you to tip the balance in your favour through skill while never offering the chance for true domination.
Even in MKWii, where the blue shell was just flying to first place and then drop down it was absolutely possible to dominate races.

The CVG review makes it sound like it's more of a problem of the reviewer's skill set in general:
CVG said:
For all that was good about Mario Kart Wii, you couldn't in a month of shy guys claim that it was much of a competitive racer. Like dogs and their owners, Mario Karts take the form of their host machine, and as such MK: Wii was a party game first and foremost, which every inch of its design crafted to ensure that the odds kept the racing pack bundled in as closely to each other as possible. From there, it was up to the chaos gods to decide who wound up on the podium.

It also points out what was my impression from the info we had thus far, that it will be easier to dominate:
CVG said:
Mario Kart 7 (designed for what's being positioned as a 'hardcore' handheld device remember) doesn't share the same inclination to play nicely with grandma. Quite the opposite. It wants your grandma to tumble down the nearest pit, NOW. Those of you who came into this review via the SNES and GBA roads stand up and applaud, because this one's the meanest, most spirited Mario Kart in quite some time.

Oh well, we'll see pretty soon.

The controversial Eurogamer review will be in the thread name soon.
How is it controversial? Remember it's Eurogamer, they don't throw around too many perfect scores and iirc gave MKWii an 8 as well. Or is it some kind of sarcasm hinting at NeoGaf's obsession with review scores I'm missing?

There's nothing controversial about it, it's an excellent review :/

There isn't, but the GAF Uncharted 3 Eurogamer review meme will live on!

How is it controversial? Remember it's Eurogamer, they don't throw around too many perfect scores and iirc gave MKWii an 8 as well. Or is it some kind of sarcasm hinting at NeoGaf's obsession with review scores I'm missing?

I was referencing the Uncharted 3 review thread. The seriousness in review threads....

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Shouldn't we expect most review scores to be in the 8 range? That's typically where the series falls, right? How is Eurogamer's review controversial in the slightest?

EDIT: Ah, I see.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Seems this one continue the tradition of handheld's MKs being the best in the series, yay

I want a GAF LEAGUE/tournaments

Is the much despised blue shell in?
And I really hope coins are back to Mario Super Circuits' roots.
Time trial+highscore is like crack.

Yes.

Although Eurogamer doesn't seem to understand that your coin count improves your kart's performance during a race, complaining that the 10-coin limit is an 'uncharacteristically weak' way of slowing down the unlocking system.
If I'm wrong and the amount of coins don't improve your kart during the race, I'll eat my coins!

Truth101

Banned
Seems this one continue the tradition of handheld's MKs being the best in the series, yay

I want a GAF LEAGUE/tournaments

Is the much despised blue shell in?
And I really hope coins are back to Mario Super Circuits' roots.
Time trial+highscore is like crack.

Blue Shell is wingless now.

Also there are communities, so a GAF tournament with custom rules would be easy to set up.

Boken

Banned
Yes.

Although Eurogamer doesn't seem to understand that your coin count improves your kart's performance during a race, complaining that the 10-coin limit is an 'uncharacteristically weak' way of slowing down the unlocking system.
If I'm wrong and the amount of coins don't improve your kart during the race, I'll eat my coins!

I thought coins only unlock. D:

Scanna

just read the eurogamer review, they didn't find any significant downside to the games, just saying that is a regular, not innovative chapter of MK, which is very good nnews to me.

I was referencing the Uncharted 3 review thread. The seriousness in review threads....
Since I'm not interested in Uncharted 3 I never frequented related threads. What was going on in there?

Yes.

If you're wrong we demand pics or it didn't happen.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yes.

Clearly they could've at least played CTR right? Since that's similar with wumpa fruits.

Great to see the positive reviews, I hope this game becomes the game best game of the year since those other highlights have disappointed me. If this beats Mario Kart DS, the 3DS should be the system of choice! Cant wait to play this with people online.

What is snaking?
Is it that thing where you have to tap the d-pad to get the flames under the tyres?
Basically power sliding like you described on straights because it's faster. I'm glad it's out. It wasn't particularly hard to do but made the game feel like a chore to me.

Top Bottom