• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has 5 types of Battle Mode and new amiibo outfits

Pizza

I'll grab this whenever I get a switch on sale, if they announce dlc plans it may be a system seller for me. Otherwise idk, I played the shit out of mk8 already and it's not like the switch outputs to 4K or something drastic

brad-t

They can't make new tracks, but they sure can make more amiibo exclusive content.

They made a new mode with new tracks. They just didn't make any new cups. Would be cool if they had, but there is already a ton of content in there and more could come later.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
XRgOJ.gif

TheMoon

What? It's the essentially the same amiibo outfits they had last time except now Isabelle's in there.

The only new costume is the Inkling one. Isabelle just replaced the Smash Villager in the promo pic.

They can't make new tracks, but they sure can make more amiibo exclusive content.

Yea that one costume sure did prevent them from making new tracks. ...

Look, guys. I get it. I'd rather it not be full-max price as well. But the entitlement whining is getting silly now.

MUnited83

For you.
You're really pushing it with this one lol. Ridiculous.

What do you mean? It's part of the base game.

Ridiculous is the fact that they couldn't be arsed to release this for Mario Kart 8. The only fucking MK Wii U got, and it's a goddamn early access version.

Berordn

Ridiculous is the fact that they couldn't be arsed to release this for Mario Kart 8. The only fucking MK Wii U got, and it's a goddamn early access version.

Is this the same way people feel about buying Monster Hunter before the G version comes out?

Seriously, 90% of the content is the same. The game on Wii U has reached the end of shelf life. Nobody's getting fucked over here, Nintendo actually made more content to extend the life of the game.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I don't really get it when people are acting like entitled about Mario Kart 8 Deluxe since I don't really see many people being upset about definitive editions or any straight ports the companies have done.

Why are y'all singling Nintendo out when there are way more ports with less or no additional contents by other companies?

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic but it don't really take much time to make a mii costume.

NateDog

Is this the same way people feel about buying Monster Hunter before the G version comes out?

Seriously, 90% of the content is the same. The game on Wii U has reached the end of shelf life. Nobody's getting fucked over here, Nintendo actually made more content to extend the life of the game.
Personally I feel a little annoyed since my GF and I primarily play Battle Mode in MK8 despite its limitations so I can get it although I don't feel as angry as some. I thought that the least Nintendo could have added in more Battle Mode modes or maps with the DLCs since there were so few maps. I'm hoping there will be some option to get it cheaper on Switch for those that already own it on WiiU but even if there is it'll probably just be for digital owners.

ryechu

I don't really get it when people are acting like entitled about Mario Kart 8 Deluxe since I don't really see many people being upset about definitive editions or any straight ports the companies have done.

Why are y'all singling Nintendo out when there are way more ports with less or no additional contents by other companies?

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic but it don't really take much time to make a mii costume.

I think because its currently being marketed at 60 dollars. I think people would ease up, including myself, if it were 50.

Berordn

Personally I feel a little annoyed since my GF and I primarily play Battle Mode in MK8 despite its limitations so I can get it although I don't feel as angry as some. I thought that the least Nintendo could have added in more Battle Mode modes or maps with the DLCs since there were so few maps. I'm hoping there will be some option to get it cheaper on Switch for those that already own it on WiiU but even if there is it'll probably just be for digital owners.

Annoyance is a perfectly fine reaction, imo. I'm not completely sold on Deluxe either, and I've got some 300 hours logged in MK8.

But it seems weird to be expecting the original game to get updated and cannibalize the Switch's momentum. I'm not saying anyone has to go out and buy it again or be happy about the additions, but to expect an update to a three year old game on expired hardware just doesn't seem reasonable.

MUnited83

For you.

Battle Mode in MK is one of my favorite things. MK8 launched with a completely and utterly disappointing Battle mode, and I hoped they would fix that eventually with DLC. You know, bring it to the standard set by previous games.
Instead, Nintendo releases a new full price package that requires you to spend 330€ in completely new hardware, as well as forcing you to pay for online play.

That's shitty no matter how you slice it. There are no technical limitations that make this content a impossibility on the Wii U version.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I think because its currently being marketed at 60 dollars. I think people would ease up, including myself, if it were 50.

Well, people with physical copies could trade their games in and get some money back for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, or trying to find some deal that could get you the discounts on the games (via Amazon Prime or Best Buy) so it might lessen the sting people had to buy the game.

Neoxon

Battle Mode in MK is one of my favorite things. MK8 launched with a completely and utterly disappointing Battle mode, and I hoped they would fix that eventually with DLC. You know, bring it to the standard set by previous games.
Instead, Nintendo releases a new full price package that requires you to spend 330€ in completely new hardware, as well as forcing you to pay for online play.

That's shitty no matter how you slice it. There are no technical limitations that make this content a impossibility on the Wii U version.
Nintendo has nothing to gain from supporting the Wii U version. It's a dead system that isn't even being sold, anymore. Even if they updated the Wii U Battle Mode, barely anyone would care & it wouldn't translate to very many sales. Nintendo has a new console to push, plain & simple.

Berordn

Nintendo has nothing to gain from supporting the Wii U version. It's a dead system that isn't even being sold, anymore. Even if they updated the Wii U Battle Mode, barely anyone would care & it wouldn't translate to very many sales. Nintendo has a new console to push, plain & simple.

And adding onto that, it's highly unlikely they held back any content for Wii U owners. It probably just didn't become a priority until the Switch version was made official and they saw more value in a battle mode than additional racetracks (since the DLC added so many).

The price tag is probably partially funding the development of the new modes. Without MK8 Deluxe there's no reason to assume it would exist.

Blues1990

Bummed that Block City & Skyscraper are not returning, but with the inclusion of the revamped Battle Mode, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is definitely the ultimate entry in the Mario Kart series.

Why support a dead console? Nintendo's completely done with the Wii U after March 3rd.

Because people will still play the wii u after, and they are entitled to have that battle mode. Just because there won't be any more 1st party games after zelda on wii u, doesn't mean they'll stop support completely either.

Neoxon

Because people will still play the wii u after, and they are entitled to have that battle mode. Just because there won't be any more 1st party games after zelda on wii u, doesn't mean they'll stop support completely either.
The only thing they'll be supporting are the online servers. They even stopped moderating Miiverse.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Bummed that Block City & Skyscraper are not returning, but with the inclusion of the revamped Battle Mode, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is definitely the ultimate entry in the Mario Kart series.

Well, we're not even sure if we are going to get more arena or not. Hopefully we would get two or three more retro arena.

The Wii U version does have a Battle Mode, owners of it aren't owed anything.
They got a ton of tracks and a great deal for DLC.
I own 8 and love Battle Mode so I'm in for Deluxe despite paying for most of what I already have.
They need to sell systems and a portable 8 with a revamped Battle Mode is good business though it was inevitable to cause bitterness.

Parapraxis

The Wii U version does have a Battle Mode, owners of it aren't owed anything.
They got a ton of tracks and a great deal for DLC.
I own 8 and love Battle Mode so I'm in for Deluxe despite paying for most of what I already have.
They need to sell systems and a portable 8 with a revamped Battle Mode is good business though it was inevitable to cause bitterness.

I'd hardly call what's in MK8 a battle mode, without arenas it's terrible.

I wish they would give WiiU owners this as well. Nintendo really screwed us over and abandoned the platform.

Malus

I'd hardly call what's in MK8 a battle mode, without arenas it's terrible.

Yeah its shit. Looking back I'm still surprised at what they did with it.

Of course Nintendo doesn't necessarily owe anybody anything, but at the same time if you feel burned as a consumer you're free to take your money elsewhere.

Dystify

Oh man this will be fun. Do we know the number of battle arenas? I hope it is more than just 4. Give me 8 at least Nintendo!

Nope, we don't know yet. I assume we'll know more closer to release though.

I also have a feeling this news wasn't supposed to be made public yet and it was a mistake by Nintendo Poland. Maybe I'm wrong.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
They're really making up for MK8's lack of battle
No, to do that would be to make these battle modes DLC for MK8 on Wii U. This is same ol moneygrab Nintendo fan manipulation.

Yeah its shit. Looking back I'm still surprised at what they did with it.

Of course Nintendo doesn't necessarily owe anybody anything, but at the same time if you feel burned as a consumer you're free to take your money elsewhere.
I know I am. This was the last straw for me. They had 2 1/2 years to respond to the most immediate fan response to the game (which was otherwise a perfect MK game) of wanting the mode that is pretty much universally understood to be the most fun ever had in the franchise, and they saved it for a new system to try and pressure Wii U owners (who were obviously their most loyal fans) into buying a new system for it. It's disgusting and I'm done with them.

Richie

Why? I can understand disappointment in this upgrade, but come on now. Classic battle mode was never *promised*, y'all knew what game you were getting when buying. Will Switch owners also be entitled to a free game like several Wii U owners got when -they- played MK8 almost three years earlier? Nah, man...

Neoxon

How do I get my Mii on the Switch? I thought miis are dead
Either make one in the Switch's System Settings or transferring them from your Wii U/3DS via an Amiibo.

No, to do that would be to make these battle modes DLC for MK8 on Wii U. This is same ol moneygrab Nintendo fan manipulation.
And again, why support a dead system where said DLC wouldn't be that profitable long after the Wii U's demise?

Top Bottom