• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has changed my mind about HD Rumble

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Real talk: So what is rumble doing differently here? OP speaks a lot of praise but it falls empty without an attempt to explain how the HD rumble actually functions. I mean it can't be that difficult to describe what you feel while playing can it?

NimbusD

I honestly didn't know the mk8d has HD rumble before playing, but it was instantly obvious. You can tell what level of drift boost your in by feeling it, you can feel the items, etc etc. It's great. It's not that you can feel it like you can feel a marble or whatever in 1 2 switch, but it's a higher degree of difference between rumble that makes them way more distinct and gives you a tactile feedback that gives you more information rather than using rumble as 'entertainment'.

I think that's where third parties haven't gotten it right yet. Most just use it to give a distinct, but hard and loud rumble, as if having higher fidelity meant just MORE rumble. There's actual gameplay uses for having distinct feelings through the controller.

Edit: wow so much shit posting in This thread lol.

As far as people who don't 'feel' it, I imagine their the people who wouldn't notice if rumble was turned on or off either way. Which is fine, some people just focus more intently on the screen.

PixlNinja

Banned
I fucking love my Switch. But I don't get HD rumble at all. Don't feel a difference while playing and it's nothing worth even mentioning.

You can really feel it in Blaster Master Zero. In the opening cutscene when you launch, jumping in and out of water, and when the alert triggers before a boss fight. Those are the best uses of it I've seen so far. Mario Kart is getting delivered to me any moment now so I'm looking forward to trying that one out myself.

Dezzy

I barely notice it. I hope this feature didn't increase the cost much, because I don't feel it's really worth it. It feels like a phone vibration that can move, but so? It doesn't even feel like "rumble" to me. It's too weak.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Are you disputing they don't provide feedback? You realize I never said "physical" feedback right?

Games existed just fine before rumble which is little more than a crude gimmick

I'm arguing the picture and sound constitute the game where as the rumble is the feedback. You think it's crude. I disagree

You're seriously arguing that the sound and picture offer less 'crude' feedback than actual physical feedback? I'm sure race car drivers would rather have all their feedback be in the form of sound and video as opposed to from their steering wheel.

phanphare

Banned
Real talk: So what is rumble doing differently here? OP speaks a lot of praise but it falls empty without an attempt to explain how the HD rumble actually functions. I mean it can't be that difficult to describe what you feel while playing can it?

it's hard to explain because I'm not sure the language has been decided on to describe rumble but it does a few things. there's a wide range of frequencies available so the rumble can mirror the sound design in cool ways, like when you pick up a coin. it feels like the rumble mirrors the intervals used for the sound effect that happens when you get a coin. having the rumble go hand in hand with the sound design really enhances the game feel. there are also a range of intensities so you can feel slight vibrations and really intense ones. then there are different, uhhh, feels I guess. like there can be a very precise rumble that'll feel like a quick ping, there can be a more chunky rumble that'll feel like a dishwasher going or something, stuff like that. hard to explain.

also the game that really sold me was the Splatoon 2 testfire because of the need for as much situational awareness as possible and there's a lot of that in that game. when you fire off a bunch of missiles you can feel them launch, you can feel them in the air and how far they travel, and you can feel when they land and explode. it's also directional so you can feel which way they're going. there's so many more uses in that game but this one did it for me. so, for instance, if you feel the missiles fly so far away that you eventually don't feel the rumble anymore you know that the enemy you locked on to is far away however if the missiles don't travel that far you know you have an opening to get closer to the enemy player you locked on to and engage them while the missiles are making their movement decisions more predictable.

the thing that I think people struggle with is that the good uses don't hit you over the head. it's like if you're going to sleep and there's this slight hum coming from somewhere that you didn't hear before but once you hear it you can't not hear it. I feel like the rumble is like that. if you don't notice it you could very well just think it's not any different than normal rumble but once you do feel it you'll start to feel it everywhere and better notice the difference in frequencies, intensity, and everything else.

jwhit28

Just have to wait for that HD Rumble killer app
0ef0a20de193260b2c30d79c1df96ef095dad39fc298445490b151fa11b56796.gif

Firebrand

Eh. I tried it again with joycons detached and yes, there's rumble. There's nothing super immersive about it, other than you can feel it move around a bit? I've had better rumble on racers onthe original Xbox tbh.

You're the one who brought up sound and claimed physical feedback is more crude than 'picture and sound' and go and read my edit

I don't even understand how you're arguing this. Picture & Sounds are both able to offer an approximation of just about anything that's visual or aural in nature. Rumble does not do the same for touch; there is so much more to physical sensation than merely feeling your controller shake. That's what I'm getting at--rumble does a poor job of approximating most anything and is entirely superfluous

Futureman

I notice the HD Rumble before the race while the clock is ticking down, but during the actual race not really. Maybe I'm too focused on driving.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I don't even understand how you're arguing this. Picture & Sounds are both able to offer an approximation of just about anything that's visual or aural in nature. Rumble does not do the same for touch; there is so much more to physical sensation than merely feeling your controller shake. That's what I'm getting at--rumble does a poor job of approximating most anything and is entirely superfluous

Tell race car drivers that the physical feedback they get from their steering wheels is crude and superfluous I'm sure they'll agree that just what they see and hear is enough.

Tell race car drivers that the physical feedback they get from their steering wheels is crude and superfluous I'm sure they'll agree that just what they see and hear is enough.

The feedback from a racecar wheel is A) Faaaaaar more nuanced than what rumble can offer and B) Is just one physical sensation of several more they experience.

I'm not disputing at all that physical sensations aren't important IRL! I'm arguing that rumble does a piss-poor job of emulating them. Heck, rumble doesn't even come close to the level of feedback that steering wheels in arcades offer. Also, most games don't involve steering wheels lol

kromeo

I still don't know if I've actually experienced the HD rumble, I've played Zelda and Fast Racing using both the handheld and pro controller and Mario Kart just using the controller. If I have then I haven't noticed it

I still don't know if I've actually experienced the HD rumble, I've played Zelda and Fast Racing using both the handheld and pro controller and Mario Kart just using the controller. If I have then I haven't noticed it
Zelda doesn't have it, the other two do.

Splatoon 2 Testfire had it as well.

13ruce

Banned
It's subtle yet amazing. It really adds to the experience my favorite ones are for drifting, boosting and picking up a coin. The most noticeable one is if you ride through grass or dirt.

Edit: kinda hope Nintendo adds hd rumble to Zelda when the story dlc pack releases as a free update.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
HD Rumble in MK8D fits so well with the sound and visual experience that you kinda forget that it's there. Not sure if I'm making sense...

Play MK8 with no sound.

I was also impressed by it in Splatoon 2.

It's similar to the Steam Controller however i don't know if any devs are really applying anything other than regular rumble in steam games.
Hah, this might work.

The Splatoon Testfire with separate Joy-Cons was what made me an HD Rumble convert (even as someone who had already tried out 1-2 Switch and Arms at demo stations, as well as Splatoon with the attached and Pro setups, and felt nothing). But MK8D, my god: it's almost like they introduced the pink boost in the game just to show off how the rumble differentiates between all three tiers of your engine blasting.

There is directional feedback when you bump into edges, too, but that happens surprisingly little in MK8 (you're either on the course or off it, typically) so I didn't pick up on it consciously until about a dozen races in.

the thing that I think people struggle with is that the good uses don't hit you over the head. it's like if you're going to sleep and there's this slight hum coming from somewhere that you didn't hear before but once you hear it you can't not hear it. I feel like the rumble is like that. if you don't notice it you could very well just think it's not any different than normal rumble but once you do feel it you'll start to feel it everywhere and better notice the difference in frequencies, intensity, and everything else.

The games that use it well (Splatoon, Graceful Explosion Machine, and MK8D, out of what I've played) synchronize and magnify the rumble effect in accordance with what is going on already in the sound design, which is why I don't think people are necessarily picking up on it as rumble unless they're looking for it: it's an extension of the audio, and so they perceive it as part of the audio (with its directional effects or modulations of amplitude) when really, it's tactile.

In my experience, it's not nearly the presence in the attached modes as it is with the Joy-Cons in each hand, since you have a firmer grip on the latter and the stereo effects are easier to distinguish.

Seriously, though: if any of you are playing MK8D, try out all three levels of the drift boost. The feedback is exceptionally distinct.

yurinka

Playing it in portable mode -with joycons attached-, HD rumble in Mario Kart feels like normal rumble from PS or XB. Nothing special here.

Jackano

It makes the rumble more "tilting" just like the ice cubes in a box, and that's OK, but so far I've yet to see it doing something else.

In MK8D it does nothing like conveying the feel of tires drifting on a road.
Either in MK8D or Splatoon it does nothing like a "splash" effect when receiving ink or entering an underwater portion.
And I highly doubt the Senran Kagura concept demo will be able to convey boob softness.

I'll give it time, see wave 2 and 3 first party games, but if it remains like that, I will classify it in the "overpriced gimmick" category.

rumble triggers in the xbox one controller are cool

Nothing about HD rumble has been worth anything, and Mario Kart doesn't change that

Utophy

Neo Member
I dont know why , but I cant even feel it :/ And I am using the normal joycons and the pro controller.
Theres any way to control the strength ? Maybe I should put it stronger ...

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
It's pretty neat. My sympathies to those who don't feel it.

There's differences in vibration, duration and intensity depending on what's going on with the Pro Controller.

I can clearly tell it's there, but I don't think it's that exciting.
Basically. It's subtle but you feel different things and from different parts of the controller depending on what's happening in the game. Revving your engine at the start line feels different from slamming into a wall or picking up a coin or drifting, etc. It's a nice touch but not a game changer or anything.

Luigi87

What the hell is wrong with the first page of this thread? Are people having strokes or something?
It was accidentally posted in OT forums, so people tried to react how when an Off Topic thread is posted in Gaming by responding with the most common OT topics.

Top Bottom